Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I bet the phone was found in the car.

I understand cell batteries die fast, but it's just a LITTLE TOO CONVENIENT for his cell to go dead (2:45pm), approximately the same time he goes missing. (Due home at 3:00pm)

Since he is gone without a trace, I hate to say it, but if he didn't voluntarily shut the phone off, kill the battery, or whatever just to walk away and start over, the perp appears to be a pro. As someone previously mentioned, it "seems too clean". If there is a crime here, I do not believe it's the perps first rodeo. And now I fear the worst.

So... Thinking this through, assuming the bad guys got him, where and how did they grab him? Somewhere between the scrap place in West Babylon and home. And most likely closer to home.

So what was in the back seat? Were there 3 or more perps and one or more got out of the back seat?

I'm sick to my stomach just thinking about this.

I'm at a loss.
But I have another question. It's been said that the scrapyard info came about from Rob's co-workers per IM. How would they know this(meaning this particular yard) with all those scrap places out there? And why wasn't this info forthcoming?
Wouldn't the union guys have spoken up sooner?
I am befuddled.

:fence: I'm still sitting on this old fence. I get off to take one path; then read a few more posts and hop back on. I see several "weird timing events" (wallet, cell going dead, car where he never parks, cam at scrap yard not working, etc.) Think.... hummm. Even so, all the possibilities of what could have happened - still seem possible for me.

One thing I have confirmed in my own mind is that whatever happened was planned, in advance, with attention to details - either by RM or by someone else. Tomorrow will be 4 weeks missing. Still up on this fence but glad to finally see more push for answers.

We know from Ida's statement that a green mountain bike is missing, and that she noticed it a few days after Robert went missing.

The rest is a possible theory only.

If (we do not know for sure) in fact he took and used his bike that day perhaps he first took it apart that morning before work in his garage so that it would fit in the back seat.

Ida stated in the fb docs that he would have left at 4:30am when she was sleeping. It might explain why his wallet was inn the garage. Maybe he set it down as he was working on the bike. Maybe that is why the seat is set closer to the dash.

If she was sleeping, how did she know he was unshaven? Did he give her a kiss goodbye and she realized it? Or did he typically not shave in the morning because he left so early? Hmmmm

I'm at a loss.
But I have another question. It's been said that the scrapyard info came about from Rob's co-workers per IM. How would they know this(meaning this particular yard) with all those scrap places out there? And why wasn't this info forthcoming?
Wouldn't the union guys have spoken up sooner?
I am befuddled.

This scrap metal yard isn't really far MILES wise, but there are many more he could have gone to closer to home, and on his route home. He went a bit out of the way to go here......

Now adding that to the fact that the co-workers happen to mention this exact place, and sure enough he is seen there, leads me to believe "they know a guy". Meaning that maybe all his union buddies "use this guy"---this particular yard is perhaps a bit more generous to them, perhpas knows them well, doesnt always ask for ID or ask questions, maybe shuts an eye sometimes,etc.....

But once again, Bunny nailed it---WHY DID THEY WAIT SO LONG TO SPEAK UP?? If all the guys use this place, it would be simple for one of his co-workers,bosses, etc.. to figure out his routine/route

Well do we know how long IM had this info? She may have known for a while but was told to keep it quiet, or thought she should keep it quiet.

It is really difficult to think back four weeks. Even one week, sometimes. If they were showing his car on the local news every night, maybe someone would recall something, but it does not sound like this is the case.

I bet the phone was found in the car.

One would assume (but we should never assume anything, especially in this mystery), that the phone was found in the car. IF it was found elsewhere, this would be a MAJOR CLUE. If it was found in the car, why did it take 4 weeks to find it?

So they found the car 4 weeks ago, and they are just processing the records now? What the heck? Is this because LE didnt consider any foul play, and didnt bother to search the car? Doesnt make sense to me.

I was under the impression that LE had the car impounded --but when? Was it immediately when they were called to the train station----assuming that they were.

Im a little torn on their friends finding the car---since he NEVER took the train, and would NEVER leave his car there for ANY reason, why look there? I mean it's a logical place to look, but not with someone who's feelings about riding the train seem pretty clear.

It is now confirmed via FB that IM's friends found the car, not LE. So they got there first. Did they call IM and have her bring the keys and drive it back to the house, then call cops? Sounds ridiculous but nothing surprises me anymore----maybe she drove it home and pulled the seat forward?

Or, what I assumed happened---LE impound it on the spot...hopefully this is the case and no evidence was compromised. :banghead:

It is really difficult to think back four weeks. Even one week, sometimes. If they were showing his car on the local news every night, maybe someone would recall something, but it does not sound like this is the case.

Sadly, they aren't showing this on local news at all. There has been NOTHING since Father's Day. :banghead:

Jerry - I'm going with LE impounded the car on the spot and that the phone being in their possession is simply just news to us - they've had it all along.

If she was sleeping, how did she know he was unshaven? Did he give her a kiss goodbye and she realized it? Or did he typically not shave in the morning because he left so early? Hmmmm

I think IM said that he "may have been unshaven ". Possibly she cleaned his bathroom sink, and didn't see any shaving creme, razor, or anything in his washbasin to indicate that he had shaved that am ? JMO

This scrap metal yard isn't really far MILES wise, but there are many more he could have gone to closer to home, and on his route home. He went a bit out of the way to go here......

Now adding that to the fact that the co-workers happen to mention this exact place, and sure enough he is seen there, leads me to believe "they know a guy". Meaning that maybe all his union buddies "use this guy"---this particular yard is perhaps a bit more generous to them, perhpas knows them well, doesnt always ask for ID or ask questions, maybe shuts an eye sometimes,etc.....

BBM - yes, I agree with this. There are several other scrap yards nearer to his route home from work and nearer to his home. What is the significance of that one and why did he go there? It is seriously a pain in the neck to get to from either Route 231 or Route 110 if he were on the LIE - a gazillion traffic lights and lots of traffic. An easier way to get there would have been to take Southern State home from work. Perhaps going there was an afterthought?

Would like to know more about the "small transaction". Was it a buy or a sell? What was RM's demeanor, according to the employee he interacted with? Were there any other people there?

And, another thought: I wonder if the car was left at the train station because whoever left it there thought it would be the last place that anyone would look for it? And if that person was not RM himself, then perhaps it was someone who knows him well enough to know that he would never leave his car at the train station?

I hope LE is questioning his co-workers.

From what I recall, the original description was that he may be unshaven - going on the thought that if he was running late, he probably didn't take the time to shave. In this article it says "likely unshaven".
http://halfhollowhills.patch.com/groups/police-and-fire/p/dix-hills-dad-missing-on-fathers-day

If he bought something, did he have cash, but no wallet?

Well do we know how long IM had this info? She may have known for a while but was told to keep it quiet, or thought she should keep it quiet.

First mention of it on FB is June 30

One would assume (but we should never assume anything, especially in this mystery), that the phone was found in the car. IF it was found elsewhere, this would be a MAJOR CLUE. If it was found in the car, why did it take 4 weeks to find it?

So they found the car 4 weeks ago, and they are just processing the records now? What the heck? Is this because LE didnt consider any foul play, and didnt bother to search the car? Doesnt make sense to me.

I was under the impression that LE had the car impounded --but when? Was it immediately when they were called to the train station----assuming that they were.

Im a little torn on their friends finding the car---since he NEVER took the train, and would NEVER leave his car there for ANY reason, why look there? I mean it's a logical place to look, but not with someone who's feelings about riding the train seem pretty clear.

It is now confirmed via FB that IM's friends found the car, not LE. So they got there first. Did they call IM and have her bring the keys and drive it back to the house, then call cops? Sounds ridiculous but nothing surprises me anymore----maybe she drove it home and pulled the seat forward?

Or, what I assumed happened---LE impound it on the spot...hopefully this is the case and no evidence was compromised. :banghead:

The records have been processed from the beginning, the cell phone was found in the beginning, it just wasnt first priority for IM to update us and press coverage has been few and far between

So if a bike is involved, did he take it to use as transportation because he was disappearing? ....or perhaps, was going to sell it? He could have taken it to the train station to use as a get-away vehicle OR was meeting someone at the train station to sell it to. Train station would be good place to meet if buyer rode the train or a public place RM felt was safe. "Hey, let's toss it in my truck and go to the trails and let me see how it rides," says the buyer..... RM wouldn't have let a stranger take it to test ride without him. C's List again? :twocents: MOO

A question-when you go to the scrap yard, do they pay you in cash?

So if a bike is involved, did he take it to use as transportation because he was disappearing? ....or perhaps, was going to sell it? He could have taken it to the train station to use as a get-away vehicle OR was meeting someone at the train station to sell it to. Train station would be good place to meet if buyer rode the train or a public place RM felt was safe. "Hey, let's toss it in my truck and go to the trails and let me see how it rides," says the buyer..... RM wouldn't have let a stranger take it to test ride without him. C's List again? :twocents: MOO

GREAT ANGLE---Maybe he's just accumulating some extra spending cash for the big Italy trip.

He simply stops at the scap yard on the way home from work because he's running early, does his minimal transaction--then heads to the station to meet the "bike buyer"...and.... God knows what happens next.

I guess a new question for IM would be if RM was ever looking to sell the bike, did he not like it anymore? Have no use for it? As you mention, maybe he was meeting the buyer after work at the train station.

Hard for me to believe a murder took place over a possible mountain bike robbery gone wrong, but hey, anything is possible. Also hard for me to believe a typical CL theif (posing as a bike buyer) could do something so dreadful so "cleanly".

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
azouheir