NY NY - Robert Mayer, 46, Dix Hills, 14 Jun 2013 - # 1

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I think u need to look at why he is selling this copper maybe his last trans action was min but who knows how long this was done and how much he made. was this his copper to sell seems like they new he was doing it since the employees told I'm to.look at a scrap yard how conveniently the camaras we broke that day something bad happened at that scrap yard I would dig into everyones background over there all u have is one witness that's states Rob was smileing happy says have a nice weekend and vanishes I'm not buyin it I'd look into who is runnin that yard

This all boils down to two things.

1)RM took off for a new life.

2)Someone has a motive to harm/kidnap/kill RM.

Who has the motive? Maybe we should be working backwards. Instead of analyzing the sparse/conflicting/ambiguous clues that lead us to CREATING wildly speculative scenarios, maybe we should take into consideration the possible reasons why someone would want to harm the Mayer family and who those people might be. Are we allowed to do that? I'm not buying into the fact that a man may have been killed for a few dollars he may have picked up at a scrap metal yard. He either ran off or is a victim of a well thought out plan by someone with a major motive.

If he made a "small" transaction, how small? Was it enough to even bother with, if he was on the way out of his life. Or was it a normal-type thing?

This all boils down to two things.

1)RM took off for a new life.

2)Someone has a motive to harm/kidnap/kill RM.

Who has the motive? Maybe we should be working backwards. Instead of analyzing the sparse/conflicting/ambiguous clues that lead us to CREATING wildly speculative scenarios, maybe we should take into consideration the possible reasons why someone would want to harm the Mayer family and who those people might be. Are we allowed to do that? I'm not buying into the fact that a man may have been killed for a few dollars he may have picked up at a scrap metal yard. He either ran off or is a victim of a well thought out plan by someone with a major motive.

It might go deeper than that

It might go deeper than that

Deeper than what? Deeper than he either ran off or was killed by someone with a major motive? Yeah, that motive I refer to could be very deep. What are you referring to?

Meaning killed for a few dollars was this scrap copper he should have been selling or no was it his to sell and if he was giving the money he got back to the company is this true and what kind of person sells scrap that makes 50 hr unless he's hiding some sort of addiction did he rob peter to pay Paul

Meaning killed for a few dollars was this scrap copper he should have been selling or no was it his to sell and if he was giving the money he got back to the company is this true and what kind of person sells scrap that makes 50 hr unless he's hiding some sort of addiction did he rob peter to pay Paul

Is that were the bike went to scrap to or did he sell that on craigslist I have a feeling Ida was in control of the finances was this his addiction money

Could he have been addicted to something and this was a deal gone bad?It's been four weeks and not much has come out about this case in the media. Seems odd to me. He vanished in the middle of the day. Or maybe he does not want to be found? I got a bad feeling about this case meaning someone close knows alot more about his disappearance. :scared:

This case is so 50/50 to me and I am almost never that way. Just can't get a handle on it at all, not even for an opinion.

It's quite odd.Originally, I had one opinion that he just voulintarily took off but now I am not so sure. I think alot more is about to come out. :moo:

Can anyone give me a better idea of the surrounding areas of the scrap metal place(i will try to google map it)? I know they tend to be in industrial areas but when i think Deer Park i dont think that... do people get mugged a lot by there? unless it was a random act of violence, which is highly doubtful seeing as RM was over 6ft tall and was well trained when it came to certain martial arts, and im not talking about a few classes of karate when he was a teen... If someone had attacked him, people would have seen or heard something as it would have taken a handful of guys to take him down... i don't know how secluded of an area the scrap metal place is but in broad daylight on a friday afternoon it just wouldn't make sense to target a guy like him out... As far as the scrap metal place and money goes, its probably owned by a few silent partners and probably has some shady ties, but for the most part that can be said about any pizzeria in the five boroughs... a scrap metal place is very similar to a pawn shop as sometimes your getting merchandise that could very much be stolen off a construction site... aluminum and copper are so valuable that companies now hire a guy to stand by the delivery truck outside a site to keep an eye out for groups of people looking to steal the material! all that said, if i think about the possibility of him being rubbed out for money/personal problems... i just cant fathom him being that deep, he was still working full time which means anyone he may have owed money to had would be getting some payment and would gain nothing by using lethal force... no threats i know of to family first? no threats to him? broken bones or black eyes... nothing... then you have the other thought that he was rubbed out by shady guys who dress in suits and have last names that end in vowels... but lets be serious, there's no way he would have had enough interaction with not only people like that, but to the certain individuals who make those calls... if there were times where he would disappear for hours or a day at a time while handling business for someone then maybe, but that wasn't the case... i cant see it, especially since this is a man who has a family and has many people who would notice him missing asap, its too risky and i would need someone to come up with serious motive for me to buy that tale... I am currently looking into seeing if he applied for a New York State Identification Card that he may have not told anyone about... Leaving my wallet home while i take my cash i saved in a box and my second id throws people in the wrong direction... The Ronkonkoma line gets you to MacArthur airport and Penn Station making for easy access everywhere in the northeast... also, have any LIRR employees been approached and asked if they recognized his face that day? I know its been a month but the human memory is an amazing thing...

just an fyi to all, i want to say i have been reading and cant believe how many people are trying to help here on this thread! I am very close to both IM and RM, and consider RM to be family...

Lets see if i we can turn up something new, and this being my first post im sorry if im not following proper procedure, i just wanted to get myself on here asap... thanks

Welcome NCNY! Glad you joined us! Very interesting first post. I would suggest you get verified as an insider here on WS since you are close to the family, then we can consider what you have to contribute as fact, not rumour.

GREAT ANGLE---Maybe he's just accumulating some extra spending cash for the big Italy trip.

He simply stops at the scap yard on the way home from work because he's running early, does his minimal transaction--then heads to the station to meet the "bike buyer"...and.... God knows what happens next.

I guess a new question for IM would be if RM was ever looking to sell the bike, did he not like it anymore? Have no use for it? As you mention, maybe he was meeting the buyer after work at the train station.

Hard for me to believe a murder took place over a possible mountain bike robbery gone wrong, but hey, anything is possible. Also hard for me to believe a typical CL theif (posing as a bike buyer) could do something so dreadful so "cleanly".

bbm - We had such a case here a couple of months ago. A teenager was killed only for her mountain bike. They are not cheap it was said, so they can become a goal for petty thiefs, street thugs, drug addicts, etc. Certainly not incomprehensible I'd say.

Could it be that he - for whatever reason - decided to go on a little bike tour that afternoon? Left the car, took out the bike and took off, and then something happened to him? Maybe an accident in an area where he's obscurred from view?

In my opinion, The bike makes no sense to me without a bike rack. No way it fit in his car.

The bike alomg with the car caould be used to throw everyone off. I'm confused about the phone just being found? Almost four weeks later? Something does not sit right with me about this case. Are police still saying that a crime was ot committed? Than does that mean he left voluntarily? :moo:

This scrap metal yard isn't really far MILES wise, but there are many more he could have gone to closer to home, and on his route home. He went a bit out of the way to go here......

Now adding that to the fact that the co-workers happen to mention this exact place, and sure enough he is seen there, leads me to believe "they know a guy". Meaning that maybe all his union buddies "use this guy"---this particular yard is perhaps a bit more generous to them, perhpas knows them well, doesnt always ask for ID or ask questions, maybe shuts an eye sometimes,etc.....

But once again, Bunny nailed it---WHY DID THEY WAIT SO LONG TO SPEAK UP?? If all the guys use this place, it would be simple for one of his co-workers,bosses, etc.. to figure out his routine/route

Good question. According to IM, she asked them end of June.

If my husband went missing, I would immediately go to police, then to all contacts, friends and co-workers. The last place I would look is train station, especially if he never took the train. I am very curious to know why they went to look at the station.

:twocents:

ETA: One possible scenario I can think of, is he went home,met a friend with a larger vehicle able to transport bike (ie pick up or van or w/rack). Then the 2 went to ride near station where he parked. IDK. I would like to know how often he biked and where, otherwise it just doesn't make sense.

As far as the scrap metal place and money goes, its probably owned by a few silent partners

The scrap metal place is owned by one person (who happens to live in Commack). His son also works (or worked) there.

Do you happen to know if RM's car had a GPS in it?

NCNY - Was going to the scrap metal place something that RM did regularly or was this a completely one-off thing on the 14th? Selling or buying?

I can't help but wonder if he somehow wound up at the Long Island Ave, Deer Park scrap yard after he was at the one in West Babylon. It kind of fits with his car winding up right down the road at the train station. It doesn't make sense to me that something happened at the West Babylon yard and then his car wound up at the Deer Park train station.

In my opinion, The bike makes no sense to me without a bike rack. No way it fit in his car.

It might have, I have friends who go mountain biking and they can drop the wheels out of their bikes very quickly so they will fit into smaller spaces. It might not have been easy.. but if RM was motivated to get the bike in his vehicle for some reason he may have been able to do it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member