NY NY - Robert Mayer, 46, Dix Hills, 14 Jun 2013 - # 2

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
If LE believes no crime committed, are they even involved anymore?

Maybe no crime was committed related to the disappearance, but the investigation uncovered ANOTHER crime? Just thinking out loud......

Maybe no crime was committed related to the disappearance, but the investigation uncovered ANOTHER crime? Just thinking out loud......

How on earth can LE say no crime is committed unless they know where he is? I can see saying there was no crime scene, but not sure anyone can say no crime was committed, if that is what was said. Maybe "no evidence of a crime"?

I don't think the time line on 6/14 (as outlined by his wife now) seems unusual. My guy is home by 3 routinely; and tells me/calls me if he is making a stop that will take more than 30 min. If I had not heard from him by 5 and could not reach via phone with repeated tries - I too would start calling around. If had not heard from him by 8 - would be very worried.

snipped by me and BBM car did not have the steering safety clutch on, and RM always put this safety device in place, when he left the car in an unsafe area.

I found this very interesting as well and for me if this is fact, seems an important thing in this case. In my opinion, this fact (if a fact) would have been critical to know 4 weeks ago. - maybe that is something that was being held back for a reason.... or not.

snipped and BBM:
Also my SIL has a picture id, that he wears around his neck in a holder. His license is in there along with a credit card. He needs this ID because they just will not let you in buildings without it. Security reasons after 911.

Very good point trigger. I think such a visible ID is probably required on most business sites.

THANKS for the humor Jerry; laughter is good for the soul.

Welcome to WS jamima. All good questions; wish we knew the answers too.

I'm guessing this was a highly irregular transaction, what that entails, is a good Q.
But it messes up my theory that he ran off with another woman.
Who sets out to run off with a lover, and stops at a scrap yard first, for a "small transaction"? Doesn't add up, imo.

Was his bike found? If not, could he have had the biked scrapped (squished), to be unrecognizable? Just a thought, I'm not completely up to date on this.

MOO

Right. And a lot of times it comes down to someone who knew the victim as opposed to a stranger.

Without sleuthing family or friends specifically, is there a slim chance that someone who knows Rob is involved? Former coworker, employee, girlfriend, ex husband of a wive, baby mamma, contractor, someone that RM may have had arrested?

Where I live, people have actually killed someone over road rage - I doubt that this is the scenario here but it just goes to show that some people have zero regard for human life. I still think that the car being left there was symbolic in some way...

Hmmmm...add husband/bf of possible gf to the list.

Ok. This article states last sighting was at the scrap yard.

States Wife knew there were no cameras at the station. Also, “He… didn't trust that train station as there are many cars broken into. If he were to take that train he would borrow another car to leave at [the] station,” said Ida.

States seat was pushed forward.

This is important:

"That absence of cameras also means there is no footage of Robert or his car entering the station. Police dogs searched the area within a day of the car’s discovery, as well as the grounds of Pilgrim State Psychiatric Center (though they did not sniff the Arrow Scrap yard), but did not pick up his scent. Investigators also examined video from a nearby candy store which has a security cam, though that does not seem to have turned up any clues.

http://www.longisland.com/news/07-17-13/dix-hills-man-robert-mayer-missing-for-over-a-month.html

The fact that the driver's seat in his car left at the train station was moved up makes me think he met with foul play. I think who ever moved the seat forgot to move it back. It was an oversight. The driver could have been a woman or a shorter man (5'9' and below is my guess.). IMO, the car seat being moved is a big clue.

JMO

This is giving me a sick feeling. You're right, it isn't the best area. I'm afraid he was accosted either at, or leaving, the scrap yard. :scared:

Desperate drug addicts are notorious for stealing metal and then cashing it in at scrap yards.

The fact that the driver's seat in his car left at the train station was moved up makes me think he met with foul play. I think who ever moved the seat forgot to move it back. It was an oversight. The driver could have been a woman or a shorter man (5'9' and below is my guess.). IMO, the car seat being moved is a big clue.

JMO

There is some question about a possible missing bicycle and some have speculated the seat was moved to get it out of the back of the car, but just speculation, like much else.

Perhaps:

- he wasn't in the car as a driver or a passenger
- he was carried out

Both make me :scared:

His car being at the Deer Park train station from the scrap yard (without the no-longer-a-factor stop home) just does not make sense.

If he went on his own accord, he could have taken a train closer to the scrap yard. That would seem the safer choice as he wouldn't see anyone he knew. Unless, because of a pre-arranged plan, he was meeting someone. But then someone else would be missing, too, and we don't have that.

If he ran into bad guys, then it would seem to me that it would have happened closer to home and the Deer Park train station..

I still keep homing in on the Long Island Ave scrap yard. Why would RM go all the way to West Babylon when there is a scrap yard minutes from his home? Perhaps he was selling a little at one scrap yard and a little at another so as not to raise any eyebrows about the quantity of <whatever> he was selling.

I could be way off base on this, but did he have any chronic pains or injuries in the past? Maybe he was addicted to pain killers and he was hiding that fact from his family? Maybe he needed a few bucks to pick up a dose? Also, did his wife know he was going to stop at the scrap yard that afternoon?

I could be way off base on this, but did he have any chronic pains or injuries in the past? Maybe he was addicted to pain killers and he was hiding that fact from his family? Maybe he needed a few bucks to pick up a dose? Also, did his wife know he was going to stop at the scrap yard that afternoon?

Last year I had oral surgery. DDS asked if I wanted percoset, yes please I said. He gave me Vicodin :stormingmad:

It did absolutely nothing for pain and made me feel horrible. I took 2, that was it for me. Aspirin after that. I healed. :twocents:

How on earth can LE say no crime is committed unless they know where he is? I can see saying there was no crime scene, but not sure anyone can say no crime was committed, if that is what was said. Maybe "no evidence of a crime"?

Anyone over the age of 18 can leave whenever they want to, and go wherever they want to, without any crime being committed; I think this is what the previous poster meant. Like, Mayer could have taken off for parts unknown because of a crime HE committed (stolen scrap metal that he could have sold). but his disappearance isn't a crime. I am, of course, not suggesting that he either stole scrap metal, or disappeared on his own...

I don't think the time line on 6/14 (as outlined by his wife now) seems unusual. My guy is home by 3 routinely; and tells me/calls me if he is making a stop that will take more than 30 min. If I had not heard from him by 5 and could not reach via phone with repeated tries - I too would start calling around. If had not heard from him by 8 - would be very worried.

snipped by me and BBM car did not have the steering safety clutch on, and RM always put this safety device in place, when he left the car in an unsafe area.

I found this very interesting as well and for me if this is fact, seems an important thing in this case. In my opinion, this fact (if a fact) would have been critical to know 4 weeks ago. - maybe that is something that was being held back for a reason.... or not.

snipped and BBM:

Very good point trigger. I think such a visible ID is probably required on most business sites.

THANKS for the humor Jerry; laughter is good for the soul.

Welcome to WS jamima. All good questions; wish we knew the answers too.

I just noticed IM posted about the steering clutch. Interesting. As you say, it was never mentioned before....I wonder why? --Is she referring to a club thing of some sort? Also, Did he normally keep it under the seat, did he pull the seat up to retrieve it? Was it even in the car?

IM seems convinced he didn't drive the car to the station himself.

Question about the FAQ on FB. It states that it wasn't unusual for RM to forget his wallet. I wonder if it was unusual that it was "forgotten" in the garage?

Regarding restricted number, remember the phone was not found, so it must be included in the phone records that are being checked, not a new call.

Jerry, I've always wanted to mention this, very early on the wallet being left in the garage bothered me but I'm thinking if he parked the car in the garage, it's not so far fetched.

Regarding restricted number, remember the phone was not found, so it must be included in the phone records that are being checked, not a new call.
Or this could be reference to a blocked call that IM received, on her own phone?

Report on News12 of a body found in Hempstead Lake Park. There were technical difficulties with the report but from the little I heard before they stopped running it, badly decomposed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rah1991