NY NY - Robert Mayer, 46, Dix Hills, 14 Jun 2013 - # 2

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Any word on how the search went yesterday? was there any media coverage? It just seems so weird to me. So little information and so little coverage. There is more to this story. A happily married family man vanished into thin air. LE has not released any info. No new clues to go on? Something is not right here.

I saw on the social media site that the media was no show.
Nothing of a significant finding during search has been mentioned that I have seen.

Wow Philigumbo----good thought. Did not want the boss to know what was going on. To permit my brain its daily flow of logic--RM's disappearance (voluntary MOO) could be not just about him (safety, in too deep)but about protecting his family or someone else (MOO)

What if RM **TURNED OFF THE PHONE** because he was AT the SCRAP YARD??? What if he didn't want his employer (he was carrying an employer-provided cell phone) to be able to track him to the scrap yard? He wouldn't get pings there and the employer wouldn't know about "minimal transactions" he was getting for "scrap." Perhaps it wasn't RM's scrap...and perhaps this was a habit of RM when he went to the scrap yards and it was never noticed before because he didn't disappear before...

Food for thought...:twocents:

MOO and all that

I would agree with this, it's just all the other factors involved that combined together, make a heck of a lot of coincidences seem really really odd on a day that a seemingly normal working man goes missing and vanishes into thin air.

Jerry516 How much of value could he possibly have/hold in his sports car?

What is driving me crazy is no pings by the scrap metal place. Isn't there a tower close to there??

That's bothering me also. How do they know the phone was turned off at 2:45? It doesn't make sense to me that the phone didn't ping after 1:45.

Maybe it is recalled as a "small transaction" if one section only does small ones? I have no idea about these places, lol. What was the wording used about it-minor? Or small? Do people hauling in truckloads go to a different section?

And it was reported that the security camera was not working...

Another point to consider (not saying this happened in the case) is bartering - as mentioned in the old news article out of Baltimore:
"Despite repeated efforts, police have been unable to stop the thieves, or the unscrupulous scrap metal buyers who they say fuel the industry by bartering — no questions asked."

If LE says no signs of crime being committed, why would they still be processing his car, if true?

I defer to the more senior WS'ers- without the media involved on this case, is there any way to obtain an "update" on the case from LE- in other words, just as a "concerned community member"? Will they give any generic updates such as, we have a person of interest but are not releasing any other information as it is a pending investigation? Or would they tell the community that they reclassified it as a crime or suspicious circumstances, rather than their initial statement that no crime was committed?

I just wondered if other WS'ers have followed cases where the media isn't heavily involved (like this one! so frustrating!) Does LE issue any type of updates to the community, upon request?

Share your thoughts, I am newer to WS..... would love to hear your thoughts about this.

I'm not an old timer here but I know in one case I followed heavily, the community and some of us here from WS made calls and posted heavily on social media. Sites like the city/community/county/local LE/etc. Also, we made calls to see about setting up billboards, inquired on raising money, etc.

So, yes, definitely more attention could be given in this case other than the FB page. JMO..

If LE says no signs of crime being committed, why would they still be processing his car, if true?

Idk :banghead: And to say no crime committed when they haven't even finished processing it.

I'm not an old timer here but I know in one case I followed heavily, the community and some of us here from WS made calls and posted heavily on social media. Sites like the city/community/county/local LE/etc. Also, we made calls to see about setting up billboards, inquired on raising money, etc.

So, yes, definitely more attention could be given in this case other than the FB page. JMO..

I'm so frustrated with the lack of media coverage. Newsday hasn't had one article about this case, yet they unfailingly report Lindsay Lohan updates. How has this story not struck the media as bizarre? People don't disappear into thin air. I suppose it would be be a different (well, actual) story if he were a woman. :banghead:

What if RM **TURNED OFF THE PHONE** because he was AT the SCRAP YARD??? What if he didn't want his employer (he was carrying an employer-provided cell phone) to be able to track him to the scrap yard? He wouldn't get pings there and the employer wouldn't know about "minimal transactions" he was getting for "scrap." Perhaps it wasn't RM's scrap...and perhaps this was a habit of RM when he went to the scrap yards and it was never noticed before because he didn't disappear before...

MOO and all that

Pings are not that precise. If I'm not mistaken, they can have a 10 miles radius sometimes or something like a 3 mile radius. It isn't like GPS.

JMO

I'm so frustrated with the lack of media coverage. Newsday hasn't had one article about this case, yet they unfailingly report Lindsay Lohan updates. How has this story not struck the media as bizarre? People don't disappear into thin air. I suppose it would be be a different (well, actual) story if he were a woman. :banghead:

or famous . . . .

That's bothering me also. How do they know the phone was turned off at 2:45? It doesn't make sense to me that the phone didn't ping after 1:45.

Maybe there were actual calls recorded from people's phones that went directly to his voice mail? My understanding is that voice mail is actually kept on the service providers end---not on the actual physical phone.

JMO

Pings are not that precise. If I'm not mistaken, they can have a 10 miles radius sometimes or something like a 3 mile radius. It isn't like GPS.

JMO

As far as I know, it depends on where towers are located. They probably have a ton of towers on LI, so maybe the pings would be more accurate than in other places.

As far as I know, it depends on where towers are located. They probably have a ton of towers on LI, so maybe the pings would be more accurate than in other places.

You're right, I'm sure LI is loaded with towers, but I have also heard that if a particular tower close to a caller is very busy, the caller's call will go to another tower which is not as busy. So, this makes it pretty imprecise to pinpoint the caller's exact location. Although, it does suggests an idea of a vicinity or area. I'm certainly not an expert in any way, but this is what I have learned in another case.

MOO and all that

Well, it last pinged a whole hour before being turned off or went dead. I'm not sure about how a phones pings, if random or otherwise. But I think while on, it does so as to find signal from the nearest tower, whether in use or not. I suppose it is possible that he was only in range of one tower between Melville and the scrap yard. Aside from that, RM supposedly wasn't particularly tech savvy so I doubt he would think to turn his phone of so his employer couldn't track him.

I know what you mean.. Unfortunately there is no rhyme or reason with what cases gain attention. I know it has been mentioned previously but there is a similar case (as far as some thinking a crime occured and others thinking she left on her own accord) here (Susan Jacobson) who is a bit older than RM - white - lives in suburbia CA and there is little to none media attention. Her son even posts here on WS!

Not to derail from poor RM.

I am so perplexed with this case and after following the cases I have followed here in the past year, I can see similarities in so many aspects but nothing ties together. I can see him leaving work - and then can think about several cases where a person left work and ended up committing suicide with NO signs outwardly of depression. I can think of suicide where someone bought a donut and soda and then hung himself - again, no reported signs of depression or suicide idealization.

I can see the scrap yard scenario as being a part of a larger equation as well but it could really also be nothing. And shame on the local LE if they have not dug deeper to verify that RM was in fact there, what this "transaction" was.

I also have read cases where people did leave. For various reasons, drug related and not but typically the majority of what I've followed, only remained away for a short timeframe. We are going on almost 6 weeks here. I just don't see him walking away. I do have to analyze IM's words (paraphrasing) that he would be home if he could. Does this mean he was harmed by someone or does this mean that something is keeping him away, has a hold over him, like drugs? I swear, watching Intervention the other night made me think again that this could be drug related. The guy was a contractor and addicted to heroin to the tune of $600 a day. He was good looking and muscular and didn't look like a "junkie." He stole and sold scrap metal to help support his addiction. Anyway, it really made me think that drugs are a widespread problem and that once someone is involved that heavily, reality goes out the window. Not to harp on the drug issue or about Intervention, but the addict on this particular episode had tremendous amounts of guilt for his stealing - addiction - getting high - going broke - stealing again, cycle. Again, I can't imagine him being high for 6 weeks and not even making a call but - one never knows.

Unfortunately, if this is not the case, the only other option and I hate to even type it, is murder.

Sorry this is so long winded.

Friday was not payday but he obviously needed the cash for something. I'm sure it had to be sufficient enough to actually go there. For example, I have a bag of returns that I need to take to Target to get my roughly $25 back and it's been sitting there 2 weeks. Now, if it was $200, I would have already went.

Ok, this is long enough, sorry!!! :blushing:

I'm sure that this has been done but I am MAP challenged so I just mapquested his job - assuming I have the right address - 6605 60th Pl - Ridgewood, NY 11385 to Arrow Scrap at 83 Kean St - West Babylon, NY 11704 and I didn't realize that this place is about an hour from his job. I'm not familiar with the area there whatsoever. So, can anyone local confirm that this is right and also add how far this scrap yard would be from his home and is it in the opposite direction?

I'm sure that this has been done but I am MAP challenged so I just mapquested his job - assuming I have the right address - 6605 60th Pl - Ridgewood, NY 11385 to Arrow Scrap at 83 Kean St - West Babylon, NY 11704 and I didn't realize that this place is about an hour from his job. I'm not familiar with the area there whatsoever. So, can anyone local confirm that this is right and also add how far this scrap yard would be from his home and is it in the opposite direction?

I believe it's within about 15-20 minutes from his home.

Facebook discussion is not allowed. It is considered rumor and not allowed here. You can link to facebook providing it does have to do with the case and say check out such and such but no discussion.

Anything from main stream media and law enforcement is allowed for discussion.

Ima

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member