NY NY - Robert Mayer, 46, Dix Hills, 14 Jun 2013 - # 6

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, this is the first time I have been involved in any capacity on both an fb page and ws or another online sleuthing community. It has been a lesson in juggling chainsaws at times, lol. I am learning as I go, doing the best I can, playing it by ear, and researching for similar situations where it worked out well. I would like to learn best how to do it. I am far from perfect, and prior to this case I haven't worked on any cases for a long time.

This is my first time on WS so I have nothing to compare it to. I can only hope I've helped and not hindered. I have deleted many a post before hitting the submit button though.

IMO the FB pages almost always get crazy and out of hand and end up being only for support and prayers. No one is looking for realism, JMO, just happy endings.

Anybody get the feeling that all this FB stuff - search groups, now private search groups, rogue page, new search page - anybody feel like we are all suddenly back in junior high???

It's hard to take a case seriously when all of this is going on. Almost like somebody (or somebodies) are playing a game.

However, I would like to say that I "read" that everything went private because WS is getting hot.

From Windstorm. I read this post to mean we were close to figuring out what happened. Did I mis-read?

I took that to mean windstorm got a feeling that was why WS shut down.

I think it more likely that IM was just feeling really uncomfortable with the whole thing.

From Windstorm. I read this post to mean we were close to figuring out what happened. Did I mis-read?

Getting caught up here. But, as I said, I "read" that. You know, TOS and all. But, yes, it was stated that we at WS were getting "hot" and that's why the official "page" was closed.

Hmmm, this case gets stranger and stranger. Or maybe somebody reported it and it got shut down.

Hmmm, this case gets stranger and stranger. Or maybe somebody reported it and it got shut down.

Was up a lot longer than I thought it would be. It's against FB TOS to use an assumed name.

I don't think LE has put that much effort into this case. She reported him missing, he appeared in many ways to have left on his own, no crime scene, etc. I would think they would need more than that combined with her history to get a subpoena for her phone records.

The fact that she isn't shouting it from the rooftops does make it seem like she's looking for sympathy over "her" situation. It is also possible that her experience with LE isn't positive and she's trying to keep a positive spin on things.

Catching up as always these days but wanted to tell you cat fancier that you are one hell of moderator!!! I love how fair you have been here and in the cases I've followed, you are doing a stellar job!

For those of you who have been around for other "cases"...
How was FB handled? Was there alt of turmoil, as in this case? Were questions answered liberally?

Mom, I'm posting a reply to your questions because I have had experiences with several cases that had both WS and FB pages. Some of my insights:
#1. FB is an excellent tool for spreading the word of a person "gone missing" or abducted. Notifications can spread like wild fire in multiples areas across the country.

#2. A FB page needs to be clearly defined once the word gets out re: notification - the name of the page may need to be changed at that point. If it is a "Support & Prayers Only page", that is clearly stated and the admin just admins and deletes things not intended on the page. Keeps reminding along the way that it is for Support & Prayers only - no calling folks out or rudeness or such. If it is a "Help Find so and so Page", that needs to be clearly stated up front and state what help is needed. Must have an admin that is prepared for tough and reality based posts. Again, another reason not to have spouse, parent or such admin of the page.

#3. The most successful FB pages have seemed to be the ones that are administered by someone close to the immediate family (not best when a spouse or parent) AND where there is active sharing of as much information as possible by admin and local law enforcement. I have seen both excellent FB pages and horrible pages. We have typically considered things posted in FB as rumor. Somethings may tip us off to something, but is not considered fact in most cases.

#4. WS is the best place to sleuth cases in my opinion, due to Rules and excellent mods.
My conclusion, there is a place for both venues in missing situations. The success depends on how things are handled. :twocents:

Hope this addresses your questions.

For those of you who have been around for other "cases"...
How was FB handled? Was there alt of turmoil, as in this case? Were questions answered liberally?

Oh boy, yes! Recent Jennifer Ramsaran and the FB pages between what was created by friends and husband who is now in jail for murder and a non profit missing organization.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Crunchy Riff