NY - Search for escaped convicted killers, David Sweat & Richard Matt, Dannemora #1

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Press Conference:

Surveillance tape available is Limited within town & nearby ones

Montreal is apparently hopping at the moment due to the F1 races, escapees could hide in plain sight within crowds, imo.
June 5, 6 &7 2015
http://www.grandprixmontreal.com/

"GRAND PRIX WEEKEND WITH THE JET SET IN MONTREAL 2015!

It's not just about the race. It's about a whole city coming alive with excitement! People arriving to Montreal from every part of the globe with one common objective - to get the most out of their 72 hours! Grand Prix Week with the Jet Set in Montreal is where it all begins. GrandPrixMontreal.com is the one-stop directory for tourists or locals planning to spend the F1 Grand Prix week in Montreal. It is the only of its kind for Montreal's grand prix. On this site viewers gain direct access to everything 'HOT' in Montreal: stores, restaurants and clubs!"

It just seems to me that officials are so far behind these guys, and their enablers, that these guys could be anywhere. I'm not surprised to see the reward offered so soon. Officials need any way to get a break in this case and they need lots of media attention to help that along the way.

What exactly is this picture showing?

I wonder if it shows a steam pipe they came through, and then cut out of, to then get them into the sewer system (and then easy access to a manhole.

Does anyone know anything about steampipes? The powerplant for the prison is a few blocks south of the prison and steam pipes run between them. The manhole that these guys came out of is somewhat between the prison and the powerplant (about a block south of the prison). So, is it safe to crawl through the steampipe during warm weather?

I'm focused on the power plant because of something I heard on the scanner this morning. (See the scanner thread if you're interested.)

Authorities found the tunnel these two dug.
So I think the chances that these two didn't escape as alleged are slim to none.

IMO, no tunnels were dug by these inmates, as the tunnels were already there, not under the main but outside of it under the annex. It is my understanding they have been there since at least in the early 1900s.

IMO, no tunnels were dug by these inmates, as the tunnels were already there, not under the main but outside of it under the annex. It is my understanding they have been there since at least in the early 1900s.

screecher, you mention the tunnels under the annex. I believe the annex is on the east side of the prison facility? You seem to know a lot about this particular prison. Is there anything else you can share? Do you think I am off base by saying they went south from the prison?

Thanks in advance for sharing any of your detailed knowledge.

Reading the Richard Matt case, this guy escaped to Mexico for 10yrs. Could they be headed to Mexico and not Canada?

http://www.niagara-gazette.com/news...ab4-0d23-11e5-abdc-5be8509d5e50.html?mode=jqm

ciao

Building on nightwatch's idea....what are the various likely options as to where they might go?

1.) Why would they go to Canada? Based on admittedly no professional knowledge, my understanding is that the only time it would be an advantage legally is if you were at risk of the death penalty. (Canada doesn't have it and it would be tough (or simply longer) for the US to extradite from Canada if the person was likely to receive the death penalty. I don't think this is the case for New York State (see link below) so I don't know that there would be a significant motivation to take the risk of crossing the Canadian border.

ruled in People v. LaValle that the state's death penalty statute violated the state constitution,[2] and New York has had an effective moratorium on capital punishment since then. Subsequent legislative attempts at fixing or replacing the statute have failed,

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Capital_punishment_in_New_York

2.) Go to area where you know people. This would imply western NY. Matt was from the Buffalo region, while Sweat was arrested just north of the Pennsylvania border, south of Syracuse. Look there. Sweat has experience hiding in the rugged area of NY State. There are plenty of small cabins and cottages in which to hole up.

3.) Mexico. Why not? I'm sure you could pay people to get you across the border and, let's face it, Matt has already done it previously.

I'm leaning toward #2 or #3.

Canada would not extradite them if they were sentenced to a death penalty in US. However, my understanding is that they haven't gotten the death penalty.

While I have no doubt that this is SUPPOSED to happen, can we say with any certainty that it ALWAYS happens?

Hah! No. But we can only go by the records. Who was the counter, when the count was done, who was the frisker, who was doing the bed checks, what did their reports say (if any), etc. All of that will be looked at. Valid or not, it is there.

Obviously, the CO doing that 5:30 AM bed check (probably before going off shift) noted the two inmates not present. So, imo, they would work backwards, probably at least 24 hours, reading all bed check reports, reading all counts and reading all frisks. Looking into what inmates went where, that is not the norm for them. They will be pouring over, scrutinizing all those reports to find any and all abnormalities. I doubt they will find any.

Any one think it bizarre, the presser, nor printed media mentioned the bloodhounds picking up a scent of either two inmates? Unless i missed it? Another thing, I'm certain alarms in the power house would have went off when those steam pipes were cut into. It took hours and more hours to cut those steam pipes, so why did the overnight power house crew not hear the alarms?

Bizarre.

Canada would not extradite them if they were sentenced to a death penalty in US. However, my understanding is that they haven't gotten the death penalty.

Yes, these guys aren't up for death (yet) and Canada does not usually extradite a death eligible criminal. They did, however, extradite serial killer and snuff film maker Charles Ng in 1991 and he was sentenced to death.

screecher...I'm still curious as to what you know. I know so little.

I will admit that I have not read the entire thread, so this may have been discussed already---:blush: .......But where the heck did they get a blow torch and power tools in a maximum prison unit?

How close is the prison to the St Regis Indian reservation? That might provide a temporary hideout, and maybe easy access to Canada.

I wouldn't think they would head to Mexico considering one had been jailed there a few years ago.

:moo:

How close is the prison to the St Regis Indian reservation? That might provide a temporary hideout, and maybe easy access to Canada.

I wouldn't think they would head to Mexico considering one had been jailed there a few years ago.

:moo:

yep. He probably sat in prison thinking ' Damn, shouldn't have gone to Mexico, next time, heading North...'

I will admit that I have not read the entire thread, so this may have been discussed already---:blush: .......But where the heck did they get a blow torch and power tools in a maximum prison unit?

That's what I was thinking and how did no one notice the noises/lights from tools? If these two could get access to tools, then they probably got cellphones, fake passports and air/train/transportation tickets. They must have had assistance inside/outside workers, so there are going to be quite a few people in trouble there imo. This is why prisoners should not have access to outside items, not to mention the two could have seriously harmed people inside prison and now anyone they encounter. Dangerous and scary, I hope they're caught quickly and no one gets hurt. Jmo/

The Akwasasne/Mohawk nation straddles the US/Canadian border between NY and eastern Ontario..reaching over perhaps as far east as Quebec. A number of years ago there was a lot of people smuggling across the border in this area. I believe they cracked down on the people smuggling since then though. Having said that, if you have enough money, well, anyone can get you across the border. All you need is someone with a boat who can take you across the river or across the eastern end of Lake Ontario.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Three_Nations_Crossing

I still wonder if it's worth it though. What would be gained?

Building on nightwatch's idea....what are the various likely options as to where they might go?

1.) Why would they go to Canada? Based on admittedly no professional knowledge, my understanding is that the only time it would be an advantage legally is if you were at risk of the death penalty. (Canada doesn't have it and it would be tough (or simply longer) for the US to extradite from Canada if the person was likely to receive the death penalty. I don't think this is the case for New York State (see link below) so I don't know that there would be a significant motivation to take the risk of crossing the Canadian border.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Capital_punishment_in_New_York

2.) Go to area where you know people. This would imply western NY. Matt was from the Buffalo region, while Sweat was arrested just north of the Pennsylvania border, south of Syracuse. Look there. Sweat has experience hiding in the rugged area of NY State. There are plenty of small cabins and cottages in which to hole up.

3.) Mexico. Why not? I'm sure you could pay people to get you across the border and, let's face it, Matt has already done it previously.

I'm leaning toward #2 or #3.

The only issue is money, if they stay in the area and hop from cabin to cabin they could remain on the loose for a long time. If they indeed have someone helping, providing transportation Mexico sounds good. My guess is they are both in reasonable good health Matt 48 yrs & Sweat 34 yrs no injuries from the escape this could be a long haul.

Idk which one had the experience with the cutting tools those lines look really straight. No report of possible cuts or injuries. With the reward in place all eyes will be looking for them. Jmo

ciao

Apparently, as per Buffalo WIVBs news cast, there is suspicion that the cutting was done when the construction workers were working on another part of the complex - so the noise would not signal an alert. Also the news reported that this work may have taken place during the day. The men are confined to their cells because of max security and are not out in general or recreation areas during the day.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lyle.person1