NY NY - Sylvia Lwowski, 22, Staten Island, 6 Sept 1975 - #3

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I saw one ad for a party in one of the rooms on the campus, "all the beer you can drink" or something to that effect it read. I guess it boggles my brain how the drinking age was 18 then.

I was reading through some of the Wagnerian archives and there was a small article on Dr. Walter Kanzler, Asst. Prof. Biology in the Feb. 27, 1973 newspaper on pg. 8. The Wag really gives a sense of college life, and the culture of the times. Skeet, these archives are a total find, and I am amazed they are all there on line. The website has a viewer at the bottom where you can enlarge and pull up the edition. And, then save in adobe acrobat (when it is not crashing, LOL!).

http://wagnerian.omeka.net/items/show/2494

http://wagnerian.omeka.net

In searching Dr. Kanzler, I found a memorial newsletter on him in the September 2009 ‘Limulus Newletter’ (Wagner’s Biology newsletter). Chances are he was one of Sylvia’s professors. He had relatives in Germany. There are some nice pictures and memories of him – he was a beloved professor and taught at Wagner for 40 years.

http://wagner.wpengine.netdna-cdn.c...013/01/Newsletter-October-special-Kanzler.pdf

Here is a PDF attachment of The Limulus. The Wag is too big an attachment to attach on WS, so I hope that link works for everyone.

Rose, I read the memorials in the third link, written by individuals who knew him. One of them would have been a classmate of SL's.

Skeet: This is a sleuthertunity, if you're interested :)
(Not tryng to push it off on you, I just really don't have time right now to do it myself.)

Look for the remembrance on page 3 called "WALTER KANZLER THROUGH DIANE’S EYES." The writers' names follow their essays, and this one, DBP, says "I first met Dr. Walter Kanzler as a freshman biology major at Wagner College in September 1971." She includes in her "signature" this credential: "BS-Biology-Wagner 1975." Those are SL's years there as well. I wager the two would have had classes together for four years. Maybe they even went on the trip to Bermuda together, too, if it was based on class year. I'm just saying ... we've been looking for people who knew SL. This looks like a shoe-in, complete with a photo of the woman.

Geez, it even looks like she may still be at Wagner, working as academic coordinator for the PA program.

Good find, Rose!

I am in awe of you guys-I never even come close to putting all of this info together so that more connections can be made. This woman (Diane) has to have known Sylvia for 4 years. Amazingly, even when there is no new information, there is still something left to learn in Sylvia's case.

Rose, I read the memorials in the third link, written by individuals who knew him. One of them would have been a classmate of SL's.

Skeet: This is a sleuthertunity, if you're interested :)
(Not tryng to push it off on you, I just really don't have time right now to do it myself.)

Look for the remembrance on page 3 called "WALTER KANZLER THROUGH DIANE’S EYES." The writers' names follow their essays, and this one, DBP, says "I first met Dr. Walter Kanzler as a freshman biology major at Wagner College in September 1971." She includes in her "signature" this credential: "BS-Biology-Wagner 1975." Those are SL's years there as well. I wager the two would have had classes together for four years. Maybe they even went on the trip to Bermuda together, too, if it was based on class year. I'm just saying ... we've been looking for people who knew SL. This looks like a shoe-in, complete with a photo of the woman.

Geez, it even looks like she may still be at Wagner, working as academic coordinator for the PA program.

Good find, Rose!

I think there are several who may have known her - I like the memory of the gal who arrived in '74 talking about the "Official Kranzler Groupie" degree and making the grade. This now makes me ask; what is it that we want to know, again? :detective:-Broader outreach is starting to look like a possibility though...

ETA: -Just saw the Diane link GBMG - great connection! there's her email...

-I noticed the 1975 commencement issue is missing from the Wagner archives, in fact all of May is missing.... bummer.

It would be great if we could get a hold of a yearbook.
And in the back of my mind, I still want to know the date and which newspapers her engagement was published...

It seems the only way I can read all the pages of this newspaper is if someone on here provides a link, otherwise I get to page three or four of a paper and it's grayed out.

Again, nice find Rose, this is one of the things I was looking for. We may not know what happened to her after she went missing but I feel any piece of the puzzle we can find of her leading up to the day she went missing may be helpful. I am amazed that they have all this info on the internet. Usually when you try to find old newspaper articles they don't go back very far. This also gives us the names of her teacher's (Ronald Cross, Alexander Richter, biology, Walter Kanzler), and all the students that were in the class with her, I wonder which one's went to her party? If you are facing the computer, I wonder if that is her on the far right, in front?

I found the "Dorm Residents Asking For Repairs" article kind of funny. Referring to themselves as Willowbrook patients.

It seems the only way I can read all the pages of this newspaper is if someone on here provides a link, otherwise I get to page three or four of a paper and it's grayed out.

Again, nice find Rose, this is one of the things I was looking for. We may not know what happened to her after she went missing but I feel any piece of the puzzle we can find of her leading up to the day she went missing may be helpful. I am amazed that they have all this info on the internet. Usually when you try to find old newspaper articles they don't go back very far. This also gives us the name of her teacher and all the students that were in the class with her, I wonder which one's went to her party? If you are facing the computer, I wonder if that is her on the far right, in front?

I found the "Dorm Residents Asking For Repairs" article kind of funny. Referring to themselves as Willowbrook patients.

bbm:
Yes I think so, right front, closest to the conductor.

-The links to Sylvia at Wagner with reference articles, pictures, SI Advance article, NamUs, may be a good thing to submit to a classmate who knew her...

The newspaper archive website is wonky - if I open either of the PDF links, it does not display right, so tried enlarging the document on the doc viewer, and it displayed fine.

Does anyone know how to tag Rose's post so we can put it at the bottom under "tags". This way it will be easier to find.

Does anyone know how to tag Rose's post so we can put it at the bottom under "tags". This way it will be easier to find.

I think "tags" go to the entire thread, not to a single post, Skeet, so I'm not sure how to do this. If you click "Edit Tags" at the top-right of the tags box, you'll see you can add up to 20 tags, but they don't give a way to attach a link to the tag. I think they're preset to go to the thread? Unsure.

I am not sure how to do tags - but I did consolidate the recent articles and links if that helps to have in one post.

Wagnerian Newpaper Archives
http://wagnerian.omeka.net

Dr. Walter Kanzler, Asst. Prof. Biology, Wagnerian Feb. 27, 1973, pg. 8
http://wagnerian.omeka.net/items/show/2494

Dr. Walter Kanzler, Memorial Newsletter, ‘Limulus’ (Wagner’s Biology newsletter) September 2009
http://wagner.wpengine.netdna-cdn.c...013/01/Newsletter-October-special-Kanzler.pdf

"Vacation Bio Lab" Marine Biology trip to Bermuda, 1973, Wagnerian May 8, 1973 - pg. 9, cont'd pg. 11.
http://wagnerian.omeka.net/items/show/2500

--1973 Wagner Band Personnel – Wagnerian, April 3, 1973: lists Sylvia's name and picture of the band. http://wagnerian.omeka.net/items/show/2498

Original posts TBM:

If you are facing the computer, I wonder if that is her on the far right, in front?

bbm: Yes I think so, right front, closest to the conductor.

BBM:
Wait, do you guys have x-ray vision or something? Who are you talking about? Rose, you're saying "right," but isn't the conductor on the LEFT? I don't think any of them look like her. Is it because it's B/W (and everyone looks like they have dark hair)? Or is it just me? Should we ask MMQC to have a look at it? I notice that there's about 46 names listed as "band personnel," but only 35 bodies on the stage (give or take, I was counting fast). I know a couple of names are listed as playing two instruments, but not enough (I think) to account for the difference of 10 bodies. Are you guys sure of what you're seeing? Where would the piccolo normally be positioned in an orchestra? I thought it would be with the flutes, but I'm grabbing at straws.

I was thinking the "wind" section was in the front row, I enlarged it and thought maybe the very first person, on the right, thin build, straight long hair, was her. I wasn't paying attention to where the conductor was, it could be there were some students absent the day they took the pic and that would account for the numbers not adding up. I'm just guessing, if her friend would answer that question that would be awesome. Good luck with that :( p.s. I could not find a fb for Diane but there is the phone number I could try...I may have to follow the yellow brick road though, and see the wizard for some courage.

In the band picture -on the right, most front, in the smallest semi circle tier (closest to conductor podium). I just looked again -you are right GBMG - he's on the left but would normally be center when conducting which is what I meant to say.

I too am looking at build, and hair length, and I think there's a piccolo on her lap. The flutes are center in that first semi circle.

--1973 Wagner Band Personnel – Wagnerian, April 3, 1973: lists Sylvia's name and picture of the band. http://wagnerian.omeka.net/items/show/2498
Edit/Delete Message

I was thinking the "wind" section was in the front row, I enlarged it and thought maybe the very first person, on the right, thin build, straight long hair, was her. I wasn't paying attention to where the conductor was, it could be there were some students absent the day they took the pic and that would account for the numbers not adding up. I'm just guessing, if her friend would answer that question that would be awesome. Good luck with that :( p.s. I could not find a fb for Diane but there is the phone number I could try...I may have to follow the yellow brick road though, and see the wizard for some courage.

In the band picture -on the right, most front, in the smallest semi circle tier (closest to conductor podium). I just looked again -you are right GBMG - he's on the left but would normally be center when conducting.

I too am looking at build, and hair length, and I think there's a piccolo on her lap. The flutes are center in that first semi circle.

Edit/Delete Message

Thanks, both of you, for clarifying :) Got a little lost. If I am seeing what you are saying correctly, she's on the ground floor level, with her left shoulder toward us. Okay, I thought "far right" meant far right in the picture. What you are both saying makes sense position-wise for sure. Piccolo is smaller than a flute? I would have gone for the girl in the dead center of that semicircle based on looks alone, but she's holding a flute, right? Ill go ahead and send the link to MMQC anyway, just to get confirmation. Okay?

Thanks, both of you, for clarifying :) Got a little lost. If I am seeing what you are saying correctly, she's on the ground floor level, with her left shoulder toward us. Okay, I thought "far right" meant far right in the picture. What you are both saying makes sense position-wise for sure. Piccolo is smaller than a flute? I would have gone for the girl in the dead center of that semicircle based on looks alone, but she's holding a flute, right? Ill go ahead and send the link to MMQC anyway, just to get confirmation. Okay?

Bbms: all yes

Original post TBM:

:( p.s. I could not find a fb for Diane but there is the phone number I could try...I may have to follow the yellow brick road though, and see the wizard for some courage.

Did you see her email address in the link I posted yesterday? LOL re the wizard :) It's probably best not to be hasty anyway. If I were her, and I got an email from one of us, who don't even know SL, I'd think we were nuts! Let it sit. One of us may see a way to make it happen at some point.

Original post TBM:

Did you see her email address in the link I posted yesterday? LOL re the wizard :) It's probably best not to be hasty anyway. If I were her, and I got an email from one of us, who don't even know SL, I'd think we were nuts! Let it sit. One of us may see a way to make it happen at some point.

Skeet - I agree w/ GBMG -I think we should wait a little bit, too. I only went through maybe 10 archive editions. There could be more to discover. And, we have to find a way to present it (that is as objective as possible IMO), and is it ok if someone speaks for Sylvia that is not her family, etc., etc..

GBMG - just a thought but maybe copy the band picture link to her brother, too? I am thinking of all the concerts I went to back in the day- I remember where my sisters were in various choruses, and bands.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member