SOLVED NY - Tala Farea, 16, Rotana Farea, 22, Hudson River, 24 Oct 2018- COD released: suicide/drowning

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
The practice known as honor killing is a daily occurrence in Saudi Arabia. The incidents are staged to look like a suicide or an accident.

Saudi religious police blamed for 'honor killings'
I agree that the issue is prevalent and deserving of more press coverage. I still cannot get over watching the NBC Today show clip yesterday and not one of the 4 individuals in the conversation group knew what an honour killing was and this INCLUDED Hoda Kotb (Hoda Kotb - Wikipedia) whose parents are BOTH from Egypt. Found this lack of basic knowledge stunning as were the looks on the faces of the group when the reporter on the story explained what was involved with an honour killing. Is this typical for morning TV in the US? I was surprised because NBC is a major network and I would have thought at least the producers might have briefed the group on KSA and related issues before the program aired. Guess that didn't happen.

This disturbing article published in 2010 comments on a study of honor killings in the Muslim world. The statistics are beyond shocking.

Most honor killings are not classified as such, are rarely prosecuted, or when prosecuted in the Muslim world, result in relatively light sentences.

Worldwide, female victims aged 25 years and younger were killed by their families of origin 81 percent of the time. In North America, 94 percent were killed by their family of origin; this figure was 77 percent in Europe and 82 percent in the Muslim world. In North America, fathers had a hands-on role in 100 percent of the cases when the daughter was eighteen-years-old or younger.

It is clear that Muslim girls and women are killed for behaving in accepted Western or modern ways when they express a desire to attend college, have careers, live independent lives, have non-Muslim friends (including boyfriends with whom they may or may not be sexually involved), choose their own husbands, refuse to marry their first cousins, or want to leave an abusive husband.

Worldwide Trends in Honor Killings

Lots more in the article.
IMO someone should place this article link on the homepage of NBC Today Show and Hoda Kotb as I found their lack of knowledge on this topic beyond shocking for a major network and morning news show.

I agree that the issue is prevalent and deserving of more press coverage. I still cannot get over watching the NBC Today show clip yesterday and not one of the 4 individuals in the conversation group knew what an honour killing was and this INCLUDED Hoda Kotb (Hoda Kotb - Wikipedia) whose parents are BOTH from Egypt. Found this lack of basic knowledge stunning as were the looks on the faces of the group when the reporter on the story explained what was involved with an honour killing. Is this typical for morning TV in the US? I was surprised because NBC is a major network and I would have thought at least the producers might have briefed the group on KSA and related issues before the program aired. Guess that didn't happen.

No, that is not common for morning TV in the US and I'm really surprised Hoda knew nothing about it. Very strange. I'm not a journalist and I know what it is!

I watched the clip too....sometimes reporters ask other reporters questions to clarify a term or history. The point of the question is to give the reporter a chance to clarify for the viewer and doesn't necessarily mean the person asking the question doesn't know the answer already.

I'm quite certain that news reporters know what honor killings are. It's a rather common term, even if it's unknown to most of us how frequently they actually occur.

jmo

edited to add: I might have watched a different clip as the one I saw it was a male who asked the question.

When Muslims die. They are supposed to be buried facing the east. And it just so happens the girls was found in the east Hudson river instead of the westside river near Broadway and Riverside.

I know it may not mean anything. But still.

This is what I really like about this website, and that it has so many people all over the world that post what their local governments and or nations are publishing about an International Event. The different reporting is very enlightening from each area and thank you for everybody that is posting theirs!

When Muslims die. They are supposed to be buried facing the east. And it just so happens the girls was found in the east Hudson river instead of the westside river near Broadway and Riverside.

I know it may not mean anything. But still.
Interesting idea, but not sure what you mean.. They were found near Riverside Park on the east side of the Hudson River, but which is on the west side of Manhattan. Broadway runs north and south down the middle of Manhattan.

I don't think where they were found has to do with their burial as they could've "potentially" floated anywhere along the waterways of NYC. I've even wondered for a moment if they went into the water in New Jersey, but I don't think so.

jmo

Done + FB too! Shocking to see this level of ignorance in the press!

They know full well what an honor killing is. I think they were taking a political stance, pretending there is no such thing, by ignoring it completely. it is considered 'bad manners', and thus 'politically incorrect' to acknowledge the existence of honor killings. JMO

Interesting idea, but not sure what you mean.. They were found near Riverside Park on the east side of the Hudson River, but which is on the west side of Manhattan. Broadway runs north and south down the middle of Manhattan.

I don't think where they were found has to do with their burial as they could've "potentially" floated anywhere along the waterways of NYC. I've even wondered for a moment if they went into the water in New Jersey, but I don't think so.

jmo
I just heard the eastside and assumed they were closer to the eastside of Manhattan.

They know full well what an honor killing is. I think they were taking a political stance, pretending there is no such thing, by ignoring it completely. it is considered 'bad manners', and thus 'politically incorrect' to acknowledge the existence of honor killings. JMO
Agree. After the SA journalist was killed while we are still conducting business with them. People are walking a fine line at the moment.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Imabrattoo
Back