GUILTY NY - Vincent Viafore, 46, Newburgh, 19 April 2015 - #2

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
I know my opinion is not a popular one here but I just do not think she "murdered" him. I do not like this woman. I think she is probably a pretty vile creature; however I find it too complicated of a plan with far too many moving parts for this to be some planned murder for insurance money or revenge.

- The missing plug is meaningless to me as that could have been removed at any point and would not have caused any significant problems for him to capsize and drown.
- His almost intoxication doesn't mean a lot to me either as I know far too may guys that drink and kayak/boat/hike/any outdoor thing you shouldn't be doing while under the influence.
- Witness account of her "throwing" herself into the water right before being rescued doesn't give me the confidence to say she must have killed him. Witness accounts are known to be inaccurate and from any kind of distance it seems far too shaky for me.
- Her behavior after the incident wasn't terribly odd to me either. Lots of people experience grief differently and maybe she wasn't that torn up about his death - that alone doesn't mean she caused it. People were criticizing her pictures at the animal sanctuary; however that was her sister's place so she was probably spending time with family like most people would do after an incident like that. People were criticizing her selfie hand sign picture; however if you actually looked into that it was a tribute to him as it appears to be something he would do.

I just think even when this goes to court it is going to be difficult to convince a jury that she caused this. She may have wished he was dead and she may have even not tried very hard to save him but that isn't murder. It just makes her a terrible human being and unfortunately there is no crime against that.

I know my opinion is not a popular one here but I just do not think she "murdered" him. I do not like this woman.
snip

Good post (as is expected from someone posting from the great city of San Antonio!). At first I disliked Graswald mightily; but I never thought her directly responsible for Vincent Viafore's untimely death.

Another way an "accident" could have occurred with him going overboard..... He stood up to pee over the side, and she gave him a little shove. She might even have encouraged him to do such a stupid thing. Then she just nudged his kayak away.

Greetings,
I surf, + kayak also, sometimes looking, from a kayak, for Great White Sharks here in the waters of Los Angeles. So I deal with waves, swell, wind. I am discussing this case elsewhere, but I'll chime in here to, ok, for I've read a lot about it, have read ALL the posts here, on IA, on ISF, + much from in the media.

I have Vinny Viafore kayak. Along with a couple others in my quiver.
I have paddled Vinny's yak 41.53 miles, plus some other, non-measured fun paddles, this month.
Hours + hours in that kayak Vinny lost his life in.

I paddle Vinny's kayak without a skirt on. Do not use a life jacket either. Like he did not either.
But I wear a full 3/2mm wetsuit, + bring swim fins in case I need to swim back to shore.
It is very hard to swim to shore with a life jacket on, they are good for floating, not so good for swimming 300-500 yards or even further. Heck, you never see surfers using them. Heck, neither did some folks who have swam to Bannerman Island and back in some YouTube video I recall seeing, they themselves did not wear a life jacket...

The kayak Vinny used paddles in winds and swell very well.
Water hardly ever splashes into the *advertiser censored*-pit. No problem.
Turns easy, + is very stable. It is made in Canada.

I'll might post more tidbits of info sometimes about Vinny's kayak,
if cool with you folks.

With hours + hours on the water, I too have had to go take a **** while out there.
I do not, nor have I ever seen anyone stand in a kayak to take a ****.
You simply secure your paddle, pull down your wetsuit, or unzip your pants or open your boardshorts, whip it out + do your business aiming over the side. Easy to do, even with waves, white caps, swells, + wind all around ya...

My 2¢ only,
RW

Greetings again,
The surf is small here in Los Angeles, today,
but it is bigger than any wave I have ever seen up near Bannerman Island,
where Vincient Viafore lost his life on The Hudson River.

Since the surf is small,
I might go paddle Vinny's kayak for a bit again,
just to stretch out the paddling arms, get in the water, so to say.

About this "accident" we discuss.
If any water got inside the open drain-age hole of Vinny Viafore's kayak, and it sank and he died, because Angelika removed it, she is guilty of helping cause Vinny's death.

It would not matter if Vinny used a *advertiser censored*-pit skirt or thigh straps on his kayak, or had a hand pump to bail with or a wetsuit + life jacket on. I have the same style as Vinny's kayak. I have paddled 41.53 miles on it here in the waters off Los Angles this month. That style of kayak deals with wind + waves very well, but water can wash over the stern a lot in those kinda conditions. But it does not get that much water in the open, un-skirted *advertiser censored*-pit.

With an open drain-age hole on the stern, water will get in.
Eventually, as more water gets in, the stern will get lower.
Eventually water will come in continuously thru a hole that's a bit larger than a regular garden hose.

What Angelika did by removing Vinny's drain-age plug directly contributed to his kayak filling with water, eventually sinking, and he died, before help arrived. She directly helped to cause Vinny's death, by "accident".

An "accident" where she stood to earn a cold° $250,000.00
My opinion only,
RW

Thanks for your experience and perspective, RW. Could you take a picture of the drainage hole? I'm picturing something smaller than a dime, but sounds like you're saying it's larger than a hose opening?

Greetings,
I surf, + kayak also, sometimes looking, from a kayak, for Great White Sharks here in the waters of Los Angeles. So I deal with waves, swell, wind. I am discussing this case elsewhere, but I'll chime in here to, ok, for I've read a lot about it, have read ALL the posts here, on IA, on ISF, + much from in the media.

I have paddled Vinny's yak 41.53 miles, plus some other, non-measured fun paddles, this month.

I paddle Vinny's kayak without a skirt on. Do not use a life jacket either. Like he did not either.
But I wear a full 3/2mm wetsuit, + bring swim fins in case I need to swim back to shore.
It is very hard to swim to shore with a life jacket on, they are good for floating, not so good for swimming 300-500 yards or even further. Heck, you never see surfers using them. Heck, neither did some folks who have swam to Bannerman Island and back in some YouTube video I recall seeing, they themselves did not wear a life jacket...

if cool with you folks.

With hours + hours on the water, I too have had to go take a **** while out there.
You simply secure your paddle, pull down your wetsuit, or unzip your pants or open your boardshorts, whip it out + do your business aiming over the side. Easy to do, even with waves, white caps, swells, + wind all around ya...

My 2¢ only,
RW
BBM

Thanks for chiming in with your experience with Vinnie's kayak. Based on this post and your second one, it sounds like Vinnie's big mistakes were not wearing a wet suit, not having fins and not checking to make sure the plug was in the hole.

As a woman, I have to laugh about the part I've bolded where you describe the simplicity of relieving yourself! I'm sure any lady kayakers here are unanimously saying "Easy for YOU to say!" Thanks for the chuckle. :D

And welcome to Websleuths!

:welcome4:

Thanks for your experience and perspective, RW. Could you take a picture of the drainage hole? I'm picturing something smaller than a dime, but sounds like you're saying it's larger than a hose opening?

Greetings Hoosgirl,
Here you go, the drain-age plug on my yak, + Vinny's kayak:
picture.php

The hose comparison:
(I use this cut off piece of garden hose at some of the larger lifeguard stations
here in Los Angeles to rinse off any kayak I'm using when I'm finished.)
picture.php

And a screen grab from ABC's recent 20/20 program:
picture.php

Lots of water flows out pretty fast.
Betcha water can get in there too,
over the 15 minutes or so that it took before Vinny Viafore had his "accident".

About that drain-age plug,
this article from ABC has some interesting info:
During the interrogation, Graswald told investigators that she had removed the drain plug from Viafore’s kayak days before they went out, and didn’t realize she hadn’t put it back until they were already out on the Hudson. When asked why she hadn’t brought the plug with her, she said, “I thought he had it,” and then later she said, “He didn't have it because I guess I had it.”

“We were already in the water. I’m like, ‘Yo, where’s your plug. Are you kidding me? I was mad at him,” she told investigators. “His boat starting to get lower in the water… because of the waves, because of the plug not being in there… [The kayak] started to fill up, and I knew that the plug wasn’t in there. I was like ‘oh this is not good.’”

Link:
http://abcnews.go.com/US/york-kayak...ation-video-reveals-details/story?id=33696436

See ya,
RW

Greetings again Webslueths,
As I wrote earlier today,
I surf, kayak, and sometimes look for sharks here in the water of Los Angeles.
A few more pix to show you that I kinda know a little bit about what I will discuss with you, ok, for my life revolves around waves, swell, wind, water, + I am very comfortable in it.

1 is of a Great White Shark swimming toward me as I do observation:
picture.php

I sometimes get lucky and video or photograph breaching sharks near me,
from my kayak.

This photo shows me out past Santa Monica Pier:
picture.php

Using the same kayak a Vinny Viafore.
It is stable, paddles well, in surf, swell, + wind.

The photo below is from today.
The surf was small, but higher than any photo's or video's that I have ever seen of waves around Bannerman Island. So I went out for a little while and rode some waves using the same kayak model as what Vinny Viafore was using.

picture.php

See the stern of my kayak as I paddle into a little wave starting to swell up behind me?

See the handle and where the drain-age plug is? Water is all over that area.

Like I've said, you do not get much water in thru the *advertiser censored*-pit when paddling or dealing with these little waves. But if water is continuously coming over the stern, and in thru that small open drain-age hole, well 15 minute sounds about the time I'd imagine it took for Vinny Viafore to have an "accident" happen, and he was tossed into the cold waters of The Hudson. For some reason, I've read that it took Angelika quite awhile to call 911 for help...

My opinions only.
See ya,
RW

RWright,

You really do have a way with words.

I am SO happy you're here to contribute such a personal, unique perspective to Vinnie's thread! I look forward to reading more... :)

:welcome4:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Kayaker's insurance companies ordered not to pay fiancée

The woman charged with her kayaker fiancé’s murder has been blocked from getting any of his life insurance proceeds until further notice.

And while that's no surprise, as Angelika Graswald is in jail awaiting trial on second-degree murder and manslaughter charges, the life insurance "restraining order" would likely extend to any civil proceedings — such as a wrongful death lawsuit — that could follow a criminal trial, according to legal experts.

http://www.poughkeepsiejournal.com/.../77495780/?from=global&sessionKey=&autologin=

At Graswald's last court date, Judge Robert Freehill anticipated that defense lawyer Richard Portale would have filed all of his legal requests and assistant district attorneys Julie Mohl and David Byrne would have filed all of their responses, but the court papers are still flying back and forth. Freehill set Jan. 28 as a decision date, at which point hearings can be scheduled. At minimum, the case will require hearings to determine whether Graswald voluntarily gave the 11 or so hours of statements to state police the afternoon and evening before they arrested her.

"We have to do something," Freehill told the lawyers in court on Monday. "The currents aren't moving too swiftly in this case, at that point."

http://www.recordonline.com/article/20151221/NEWS/151229903

AR-151229903.jpg&MaxW=650

Here's the caption to the photo below. I don't think Ms Pelesz looks too happy about AG's smile and greeting. Of course, one can't read too much into a moment captured by a camera.
Murder defendant Angelika Graswald, center, wishes Judge Robert Freehill "Merry Christmas" in court on Monday. Standing with Graswald are her lawyer, Richard Portale, and his associate Kimberly Pelesz.
http://m.recordonline.com/article/20151221/NEWS/151229903

At Graswald's last court date, Judge Robert Freehill anticipated that defense lawyer Richard Portale would have filed all of his legal requests and assistant district attorneys Julie Mohl and David Byrne would have filed all of their responses, but the court papers are still flying back and forth. Freehill set Jan. 28 as a decision date, at which point hearings can be scheduled. At minimum, the case will require hearings to determine whether Graswald voluntarily gave the 11 or so hours of statements to state police the afternoon and evening before they arrested her.

"We have to do something," Freehill told the lawyers in court on Monday. "The currents aren't moving too swiftly in this case, at that point."

http://www.recordonline.com/article/20151221/NEWS/151229903

AR-151229903.jpg&MaxW=650

The woman charged with her kayaker fiancé’s murder won't be back in a courtroom until 2016.

Angelika Graswald, a 35-year-old Poughkeepsie woman, appeared in Orange County Court Monday, for a conference. She's accused of killing her fiancé Vincent Viafore during a kayaking trip on the Hudson River in April. She'll reappear in court again on Jan. 28.

"The currents aren't moving too swiftly in this case," said Judge Robert Freehill, during the conference on Monday.

After the hearing, Graswald's attorney, Richard Portale, said he received an affirmation in opposition to his motions, but he "can't comment on the motions because those are sealed." Freehill has ordered attorneys not to make out-of-court statements about the case.

"We asked for time to reply to that, so the judge gave us two weeks...then we're back here Jan. 28 for a decision on the motions," Portale added.

And while that's no surprise, as Graswald is in jail awaiting trial on second-degree murder and manslaughter charges, the life insurance "restraining order" would likely extend to any civil proceedings — such as a wrongful death lawsuit — that could follow a criminal trial, according to legal experts.

Several companies have been blocked from paying any money to Graswald "pending a final determination" of Viafore's cause of death and whether Graswald is "responsible" for it, according to an order filed in the Dutchess County Surrogate’s Court. The companies, including the Parsons Brinckerhoff Group, where Viafore was a construction manager, and State Farm Life and Accident, are barred from releasing any funds to Graswald "pending further order" from the Surrogate's Court.

http://www.poughkeepsiejournal.com/...raswald-insurance-restraining-order/77495780/

Greetings,

if cool with you folks.

My 2¢ only,
RW

You have experience, the victim did not. You have been lucky, the victim evidently not. People do stupid things like standing up in kayaks all the time. Ya never know.....

Greetings again,
The surf is small here in Los Angeles, today,
but it is bigger than any wave I have ever seen up near Bannerman Island,
where Vincient Viafore lost his life on The Hudson River.

Since the surf is small,
I might go paddle Vinny's kayak for a bit again,
just to stretch out the paddling arms, get in the water, so to say.

About this "accident" we discuss.
If any water got inside the open drain-age hole of Vinny Viafore's kayak, and it sank and he died, because Angelika removed it, she is guilty of helping cause Vinny's death.

It would not matter if Vinny used a *advertiser censored*-pit skirt or thigh straps on his kayak, or had a hand pump to bail with or a wetsuit + life jacket on. I have the same style as Vinny's kayak. I have paddled 41.53 miles on it here in the waters off Los Angles this month. That style of kayak deals with wind + waves very well, but water can wash over the stern a lot in those kinda conditions. But it does not get that much water in the open, un-skirted *advertiser censored*-pit.

With an open drain-age hole on the stern, water will get in.
Eventually, as more water gets in, the stern will get lower.
Eventually water will come in continuously thru a hole that's a bit larger than a regular garden hose.

What Angelika did by removing Vinny's drain-age plug directly contributed to his kayak filling with water, eventually sinking, and he died, before help arrived. She directly helped to cause Vinny's death, by "accident".

An "accident" where she stood to earn a cold° $250,000.00
My opinion only,
RW

Yes, this is the kind of drainage hole I'm talking about. Water goes into the hull, a mini-version of the Titanic.

No PFD, drunk, and a swamped boat? Lethal combination.

Greetings again Webslueths,
As I wrote earlier today,
I surf, kayak, and sometimes look for sharks here in the water of Los Angeles.
A few more pix to show you that I kinda know a little bit about what I will discuss with you, ok, for my life revolves around waves, swell, wind, water, + I am very comfortable in it.

1 is of a Great White Shark swimming toward me as I do observation:
picture.php

I sometimes get lucky and video or photograph breaching sharks near me,
from my kayak.

This photo shows me out past Santa Monica Pier:
picture.php

Using the same kayak a Vinny Viafore.
It is stable, paddles well, in surf, swell, + wind.

The photo below is from today.
The surf was small, but higher than any photo's or video's that I have ever seen of waves around Bannerman Island. So I went out for a little while and rode some waves using the same kayak model as what Vinny Viafore was using.

picture.php

See the stern of my kayak as I paddle into a little wave starting to swell up behind me?

See the handle and where the drain-age plug is? Water is all over that area.

Like I've said, you do not get much water in thru the *advertiser censored*-pit when paddling or dealing with these little waves. But if water is continuously coming over the stern, and in thru that small open drain-age hole, well 15 minute sounds about the time I'd imagine it took for Vinny Viafore to have an "accident" happen, and he was tossed into the cold waters of The Hudson. For some reason, I've read that it took Angelika quite awhile to call 911 for help...

My opinions only.
See ya,
RW

Exactly right. That kayak model does not have sealed bulkheads, which means any water coming in through the drain hole can swamp the entire cockpit. In that case, the whole boat goes under. The victim didn't even need to be tossed. He could have floated right out.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sidsloth
Back