GUILTY NY - Vincent Viafore, 46, Newburgh, 19 April 2015 - #2

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Does anyone know when the Civil Trial will take place? Thank you

I haven't seen anything on when a civil trial will take place.

I did find this:

Criminal proceedings have taken place in Orange County Court. The civil matter of Viafore's estate is taking place in Dutchess County Surrogate's Court and State Supreme Court in Dutchess County because he was a Town of Poughkeepsie resident.

http://www.poughkeepsiejournal.com/...g-angelika-graswald-wrongful-death/848164001/

I haven't seen anything on when a civil trial will take place.

I did find this:

Criminal proceedings have taken place in Orange County Court. The civil matter of Viafore's estate is taking place in Dutchess County Surrogate's Court and State Supreme Court in Dutchess County because he was a Town of Poughkeepsie resident.

http://www.poughkeepsiejournal.com/...g-angelika-graswald-wrongful-death/848164001/

Thank you JerseyGirl. Hoping the Judge keeps her here for the civil case and then deports her. I hope the family succeeds in their court case. I read somewhere that Graswald may collect some/all of his insurance monies. If true that is wrong and so unfair. Wait and see.

If Vincent Viafore's family wants Angelika Graswald to forfeit her rights to his life insurance benefits, they must prove that Graswald "recklessly" caused his death.

That was the decision made in Dutchess County Surrogate's Court on Tuesday.

Viafore's sister was seeking to have the surrogate's court decide that Graswald, who was engaged to Viafore, forfeited her rights to his assets when she pleaded guilty to criminally negligent homicide in his death.

But Graswald did not automatically forfeit her claim to Viafore's life insurance with her plea.

According to the surrogate's court decision Tuesday, Graswald stood to receive 45 percent of the 46-year-old Viafore's death benefits as the policy's primary beneficiary, or more than $491,000. Previously, the Orange County District Attorney's office had reported she would stand to gain around $250,000.

According to Tuesday's ruling, a hearing will be held on Tuesday, Feb. 27.

It has been unclear if Graswald intends to seek the insurance money.

http://www.poughkeepsiejournal.com/...y-caused-his-death-keep-insurance/1044523001/

Anyone wanna watch some of The Detectives discuss this case,
the same New York State Troopers who chatted with Angelika on Bannerman Island and then interrogated+arrested her?
You will watch Senior Investigator Aniello Muscato and Investigator Donald Dequarto speak. Pretty informative, in my opinion

This video gives us a different perspective of Angelika than 20/20:

[video=youtube;E1sTQfUT-z4]https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=2&v=E1sTQfUT-z4[/video]

In her first interview since her release on Dec. 21, 2017, Angelika Graswald told “20/20” she pleaded guilty to the lesser charge to avoid the risk of a life sentence for a crime she insists she did not commit.

“They said, ‘Take the plea and get out in December,’” said Graswald, adding that agreeing to live with a felony on her record wasn’t an easy decision. “I went that way because everything is taken as a package.”

http://abcnews.go.com/US/woman-pleaded-guilty-fiances-kayak-death/story?id=53113479

What happened to Angelika's cell phone???
[video=youtube;xNf1uJkcvyU]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xNf1uJkcvyU[/video]

The Orange County District Attorney’s Office is opposing the Poughkeepsie Journal’s lawsuit to unseal court documents pertaining to Angelika Graswald’s murder case. In court papers, Assistant District Attorney Andrew Kass said the documents, if unsealed, would cause embarrassment to unspecified people.

DA opposes Journal's demand to unseal Angelika Graswald's legal documents in murder trial

Somehow I imagine the potentially embarrassed party alluded to is the DA.

Graswald would never have been allowed to bargain her way out of jail had the charges against her been justified. I've followed this case from the beginning, and I've never believed the charges were anything short of ridiculous, or that the DA's theory was supported by common sense or the evidence, or that the amount of bail was reasonable, or that the State had a snowball's chance in Hades of ever convicting her.

Graswald isn't a particularly sympathetic person or (ex) defendant, and it may be true (though there isn't evidence to prove it) that she could have done more to try to rescue Vincent.

The bottom line has always been that the survivor of that trip isn't and shouldn't be held responsible for an adult man choosing to go where he shouldn't, at a time of year and day and in a boat that were all inappropriate, and having made the choice to drink and to not take basic safety precautions, including the most basic, elementary one of all for any boater- wearing a life vest.

IMO Portale is trying to appeal Angelika's plea to make it easier to get Vinny's insurance money so he can get paid before she is deported.

Woman convicted in fiancé's death entitled to portion of his life insurance (with 48 Hour video clip)

August 13, 2018

"The woman who pulled the plug on her fiancé's kayak during a paddle on the Hudson River was back in court Monday, fighting for money from his life insurance policy. CBS New York reports that after months of negotiations, attorneys announced a settlement.

Angelika Graswald walked out of the Dutchess County courtroom without a word, but with a decision. She is entitled to at least a portion of her deceased fiancé's life insurance payout.

"There is a financial settlement, the amount of which is confidential," said Anthony Piscionere, Graswald's attorney....

Graswald served less than three years in prison before she was released in December 2017. In New York, the maximum sentence for this type of crime is four years....

We don't know how much she'll get, but Viafore had named Graswald beneficiary of 45 percent of his death benefit, a little more that $491,000.

The life insurance money has been in the court's possession since the lawsuit to stop disbursement was filed. Now it will be distributed according to the confidential settlement."

Woman convicted in fiancé's death entitled to portion of his life insurance
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Woman convicted in fiancé's death entitled to portion of his life insurance (with 48 Hour video clip)

August 13, 2018

"The woman who pulled the plug on her fiancé's kayak during a paddle on the Hudson River was back in court Monday, fighting for money from his life insurance policy. CBS New York reports that after months of negotiations, attorneys announced a settlement.

Angelika Graswald walked out of the Dutchess County courtroom without a word, but with a decision. She is entitled to at least a portion of her deceased fiancé's life insurance payout.

"There is a financial settlement, the amount of which is confidential," said Anthony Piscionere, Graswald's attorney....

Graswald served less than three years in prison before she was released in December 2017. In New York, the maximum sentence for this type of crime is four years....

We don't know how much she'll get, but Viafore had named Graswald beneficiary of 45 percent of his death benefit, a little more that $491,000.

The life insurance money has been in the court's possession since the lawsuit to stop disbursement was filed. Now it will be distributed according to the confidential settlement."

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This seems so wrong on so many levels...SMH
Just kill someone for the insurance money, give a sob story, plead down to negligent homocide and pocket a piece of the insurance money. I’m speechless.

I did not think a convicted felon could profit in anyway from the death of their victim. Hopefully the monies will be frozen until the appeals go through, the Judge, can then rule on the monies....but for now ‘it’ gets the monies....frozen I would hope. No matter what happens in some of these unfair trials, Karma comes knocking at the door and some point in the future the parties will have to deal with it.

And if she gets this money....who does she owe monies to....they will come knocking for their money.....and will taxes have to,be paid first?

August 13, 2018

Good. IMO, this case was pure BS.

I wanted her to be guilty, but I don’t think she is.
I think she answered questions in the interrogation as if she was talking to a therapist, not someone who was hearing her words as literal. And now I have just read an article that was posted on another drowning case on WS, this one assumed to be accidental, and I can see how VV could have perished quickly in this incident. Read it and see what I am talking about:
The Truth About Cold Water

'Kayak killer' poses underwater in bizarre bathtub photoshoot after prison release | Daily Mail Online

A woman who was jailed for pulling the plug on her fiance's kayak and letting him drown has posed for a bizarre photoshoot lying under water in a bathtub after being released on parole.

Angelika Graswald, 39, was convicted and jailed for two-and-a-half years for killing Vincent Viafore on April 19, 2015 after she was found to have unplugged the drain plug in his kayak in New York's Hudson River.

Graswald, who has now been released from prison on parole, has spoken out saying she has no regrets about what happened to her fiance and says she has since found God.

The Latvian immigrant, dubbed the 'kayak killer', posed for a photoshoot and interview with Elle Magazine following her release.

One of the photos shows her staring at the camera with her face just below the surface of the water in a bathtub.

'I don't think back. I look forward.... I don't regret what happened. I don't think "What if" anymore,' the Latvian immigrant said in the interview, which was published on Tuesday.

'That's the beauty of being a Christian. You know you have a bright future.'

[...]

upload_2019-2-27_16-13-38.jpeg

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member