GUILTY OH - Annabelle Richardson, newborn, found in grave , 7 May 2017 *GUILTY OF ABUSE OF CORPSE ONLY* *resentencing 2022* #4

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
I don't recall.

I wonder why that would be of importance for defense to tell jury that aunt employed at Hill Top?

Meaning that's why she went back to same clinic? Or BSR not fearful aunt would find out she was pregnant? Makes no sense to me why add that to closing argument!

Also, I always thought she chose that clinic because her mom helped her with appointment, and Dr Andrews was mom's doctor.

I can’t recall now the context when Rittgers mentioned that her aunt worked at the clinic, but I just remember being kinda surprised that he did. I’ll have to go back and listen to his closing arguments again. :)

https://www.courttv.com/title/9-12-19-oh-v-richardson-defense-closing-argument/

JMO

I think you may have misunderstood my question. I asked if the Doctor who testified at trial who believed Skylar, that the baby was stillborn worked at the medical practice where Skylar’s Aunt worked. I know not to sleuth family. I read in a post on this thread Skylar’s aunt worked at the clinic.

Dr. Boyce was the DR Skylar saw when she returned for a BC pill refill, and the DR Skylar told her baby was stillborn & that she had buried her in the bsckyard.

Dr. Andrew, of the same practice, was the DR Skylar went to in April for BC pills, and the DR who told Skylar she was pregnant. Skylar's aunt definitely worked for the practice, and knew both DR's.

The fact that Skylar's aunt worked for the med practice was known well before trial; it came up in arguments before the District Court of Appeal relating to the admissibility at trial of Skylar's confidential medical records.

Both DRs testified at trial. Dr. Boyce absolutely DID testify she believed Skylar when Skylar told her the baby was stillborn.

Dr. Andrews wasn't in the examining room with Dr. Boyce & Skylar, but spoke with Boyce before and after Skylar's visit.

Andrews testified that there wasn't anything unusual about anything Skylar told him or how she reacted to the news she was pregnant, given she was a scared teenager hearing confirmation of a pregnancy she'd been in denial about.

I would not have been able to find her guilty of murder but think Skylar is a pathological liar. Is it possible the tight red prom dress compromised the placenta and umbilical cord to a point it killed Annabelle. Skylar had cramps at Prom, was that was the baby dying?

Skylar Richardson is just the girl that got caught. There are no doubt hundreds of newborn skeletons littered across the American suburban landscape. I hope this opens up conversations between mothers and daughters for more positive outcomes.

I would not have been able to find her guilty of murder but think Skylar is a pathological liar. Is it possible the tight red prom dress compromised the placenta and umbilical cord to a point it killed Annabelle. Skylar had cramps at Prom, was that was the baby dying?

Skylar Richardson is just the girl that got caught. There are no doubt hundreds of newborn skeletons littered across the American suburban landscape. I hope this opens up conversations between mothers and daughters for more positive outcomes.

No, it isn't possible that Skylar's prom dress killed her baby.

Detective in Skylar Richardson case: 'I still believe the baby was alive'

September 16, 2019
LEBANON, Ohio —

Lt. John Faine -- now retired from the Warren County Sheriff's Office -- said since the day he first interrogated a teen mother acquitted last week on homicide charges, there were red flags.

Skylar Richardson, now 20, was acquitted on charges including aggravated murder, involuntary manslaughter and endangering children. She was found guilty on an abuse of a corpse charge.

She had been accused of murdering her newborn daughter and burying her remains in the backyard of the Richardson family home in Carlisle. Richardson said the baby was stillborn.

"I still believe that the baby was alive," Faine said.

Faine said he became suspicious during Richardson's first police interview on July 14, 2017.

"I had had a baby. I had a baby, and it wasn't alive. I didn't kill her though," Richardson said in that interview.

"It was just the way she kept adamantly wanting to interject, 'I didn't kill it. I didn't kill it,'" Faine said. Just from experience, a lot of times over the course of my career, people who are guilty are the ones who are so adamantly, defiantly, telling us overtly, 'I didn't do this.' That was part of it, and then, just the secrecy."

~snip

Video of interview at link:

Last edited:

Tight clothing would not have any affect on the baby, and the cramps she had were likely Brackston-Hicks contractions, which are very common shortly before labor. Imo

September 16, 2019
LEBANON, Ohio —

Lt. John Faine -- now retired from the Warren County Sheriff's Office -- said since the day he first interrogated a teen mother acquitted last week on homicide charges, there were red flags.

Skylar Richardson, now 20, was acquitted on charges including aggravated murder, involuntary manslaughter and endangering children. She was found guilty on an abuse of a corpse charge.

She had been accused of murdering her newborn daughter and burying her remains in the backyard of the Richardson family home in Carlisle. Richardson said the baby was stillborn.

"I still believe that the baby was alive," Faine said.

Faine said he became suspicious during Richardson's first police interview on July 14, 2017.

"I had had a baby. I had a baby, and it wasn't alive. I didn't kill her though," Richardson said in that interview.

"It was just the way she kept adamantly wanting to interject, 'I didn't kill it. I didn't kill it,'" Faine said. Just from experience, a lot of times over the course of my career, people who are guilty are the ones who are so adamantly, defiantly, telling us overtly, 'I didn't do this.' That was part of it, and then, just the secrecy."

~snip

Video of interview at link:
I think the baby was born alive as well.

She was not coerced. It wasn't even that long of an interview. That investigators were friendly with her is a common tactic.

Her father was right in saying they made a mistake in not having a lawyer present, although in the end it didn't matter, despite all the incriminating things she said.

It was clear that Skylar thought the baby was alive and that she had killed her by squeezing her too hard.
She heard the baby gurgle a little, move a little, and cry a little. That sounds like a living baby to me.

The baby may have died shortly afterwards, or Skylar may very well have caused her death. Only she knows what really happened.

IMO

BBM

Do you really believe this? I have no words for this type of assertion but would love a link or some documentation to back up such a claim.

I think the baby was born alive as well.

She was not coerced. It wasn't even that long of an interview. That investigators were friendly with her is a common tactic.

Her father was right in saying they made a mistake in not having a lawyer present, although in the end it didn't matter, despite all the incriminating things she said.

It was clear that Skylar thought the baby was alive and that she had killed her by squeezing her too hard.
She heard the baby gurgle a little, move a little, and cry a little. That sounds like a living baby to me.

The baby may have died shortly afterwards, or Skylar may very well have caused her death. Only she knows what really happened.

IMO

As to your comment "Her father was right in saying they made a mistake in not having a lawyer present, although in the end it didn't matter, despite all the incriminating things she said."....

I tend to perhaps disagree with " in the end it didn't matter"

... because if they had gotten a lawyer immediately, and if she had never spoken to the police during the first or second interview, it may have never gone to trial on the murder charges. ...saving the father possibly over $100,000 in defending his daughter and the international publicity for the murder charges.

But none of us will ever know what could have happened...

I’m so disappointed with this ending. I feel as if Skylar told everyone multiple stories about the events surrounding Annabelle’s birth/death, she was not honest at all, in my opinion. She had no intention at all of having that baby and keeping her or giving her up for adoption. She was so insanely vain and obsessed with her ‘perfect life’ (just like her mother), that she would do anything to maintain it, and that includes killing her daughter. She got off too easily.

I still have one question, when Skyler had the initial OB/GYN appointment, and she found out she was pregnant-did the doctor actually prescribe birth control pills for her? I didn’t understand how that would have happened or why?

As to your comment "Her father was right in saying they made a mistake in not having a lawyer present, although in the end it didn't matter, despite all the incriminating things she said."....

I tend to perhaps disagree with " in the end it didn't matter"

... because if they had gotten a lawyer immediately, and if she had never spoken to the police during the first or second interview, it may have never gone to trial on the murder charges. ...saving the father possibly over $100,000 in defending his daughter and the international publicity for the murder charges.

But none of us will ever know what could have happened...
Well, yes, but I meant that in the end her incriminating remarks did not necessarily work against her.

They did go to trial and were unable to prove that the baby was born alive and suggested that she was coerced when she said those things. Imo

I still have one question, when Skyler had the initial OB/GYN appointment, and she found out she was pregnant-did the doctor actually prescribe birth control pills for her? I didn’t understand how that would have happened or why?

Everything about the BC pills, from my trial notes:

1. Either Skylar or Kim decided Skylar should go on the pill. S's aunt has said one reason for that was to regularize Skylar's period, which her ED had made erratic.

2. Kim made/had Skylar make an appt with Kim's OB/GYN.

3. Shortly before the appt, Skylar told Kim repeatedly how scared she was to go. She begged Kim to allow her to cancel the appt.

Kim replied she was only insisting Skylar go for her own good, that a pregnancy would destroy her future, and as much as it "made (Kim) sick," Skylar had to go. Skylar texted Kim- ok, I'll go.

4. Dr. Andrews, the OB/GYN, testified that the office had (written) the BC script BEFORE Skylar's arrival for her appt.

5. Andrews & Skylar first spoke about BC pills, but based on a number of indications, Andrews suspected Skylar was pregnant and asked her to do a urine test. Skylar didn't object, the test was done, she was told she was pregnant, Andrews immediately did an ultrasound.

6. According to Andrew's testimony, while they were still in the ultrasound room, Skylar asked about the BC pills. Andrews told her: "we're way beyond that. You're pregnant."

7. Skylar told LE about that conversation with Dr. Andrew during her first interview. She said she "thought that was the end of it" (about being prescribed or taking the pills), but that the pharmacy called the next day saying the script had been filled.

8. The texts between Kim & Skylar the next day seem to confirm that's what happened. Kim texted Skylar to tell her the pharmacy had called, and offered to pick up the pills the following day. Skylar told Kim she"d pick them up herself, Kim told her she'd give Skylar an insurance card to take with her to the pharmacy.

9. Skylar and Kim exchanged texts over the next few days about the BC pills. Skylar asked when she should begin taking them, and after she had, told Kim she was having extremely painful cramps from the pills. Kim told her - that's good, it means the pills are working, and you'll be back to having "super regular" periods in a few months.

10. A few days later, on May 1, Kim hacked Skylar's email and read a summary of the DR visit, including the pregnancy test results, and that the BC pills had first been prescribed then "discontinued" on the same day - the day of her visit.

Kim texted Skylar a WTH, Skylar told her it was a mistake and that she would call the DR to get it straightened out.

11. Skylar told LE she assumed she was to take the pills since the script had gone through after all, that Andrews had never told her not to take the pills, that she took them per the instructions on the script, once a day, and that she didn't think taking them would harm the baby.

12. Skylar lied to her father when he asked her if LE had questioned her about taking the pills when she knew she was pregnant. She said they had not. LE did.

13. Though Kim told Scott (dad) she didn't know if taking pills when pregnant could harm a baby, it was Kim who first (and early on) told Skylar LE would believe Skylar took the pills to self-abort.
------
((There's no way of knowing, but IMO it's not impossible one reason why Skylar dodged straight answers about why she took the pills is because she thought those answers might implicate her mother.

Whatever the truth, it's VERY easy to read their text exchanges about Skylar & BC pills and conclude not only did Kim know Skylar was pregnant, but that her insistence that Skylar get and take the pills was because Kim believed taking the pills would cause Skylar to abort)).

As an aside. Wonder why the DRs didn't question how Skylar could need a refill for a script they thought they had cancelled?

Last edited:
I don't recall.

I wonder why that would be of importance for defense to tell jury that aunt employed at Hill Top?

Meaning that's why she went back to same clinic? Or BSR not fearful aunt would find out she was pregnant? Makes no sense to me why add that to closing argument!

Also, I always thought she chose that clinic because her mom helped her with appointment, and Dr Andrews was mom's doctor.

I found where Rittgers said during his closing arguments that Skyler’s aunt works at Hilltop. It starts at 19:05 minute mark.

The point he was making was that Skylar went back to the same OBGYN.

Skylar goes back to the same OBGYN where her aunt works, her own aunt works at Hilltop. She knows that they know she’s pregnant, her aunts there, she goes back to the same OBGYN.”

https://www.courttv.com/title/9-12-19-oh-v-richardson-defense-closing-argument/

Last edited:
Everything about the BC pills, from my trial notes:

1. Either Skylar or Kim decided Skylar should go on the pill. S's aunt has said one reason for that was to regularize Skylar's period, which her ED had made erratic.

2. Kim made/had Skylar make an appt with Kim's OB/GYN.

3. Shortly before the appt, Skylar told Kim repeatedly how scared she was to go. She begged Kim to allow her to cancel the appt.

Kim replied she was only insisting Skylar go for her own good, that a pregnancy would destroy her future, and as much as it "made (Kim) sick," Skylar had to go. Skylar texted Kim- ok, I'll go.

4. Dr. Andrews, the OB/GYN, testified that the office had (written) the BC script BEFORE Skylar's arrival for her appt.

5. Andrews & Skylar first spoke about BC pills, but based on a number of indications, Andrews suspected Skylar was pregnant and asked her to do a urine test. Skylar didn't object, the test was done, she was told she was pregnant, Andrews immediately did an ultrasound.

6. According to Andrew's testimony, while they were still in the ultrasound room, Skylar asked about the BC pills. Andrews told her: "we're way beyond that. You're pregnant."

7. Skylar told LE about that conversation with Dr. Andrew during her first interview. She said she "thought that was the end of it" (about being prescribed or taking the pills), but that the pharmacy called the next day saying the script had been filled.

8. The texts between Kim & Skylar the next day seem to confirm that's what happened. Kim texted Skylar to tell her the pharmacy had called, and offered to pick up the pills the following day. Skylar told Kim she"d pick them up herself, Kim told her she'd give Skylar an insurance card to take with her to the pharmacy.

9. Skylar and Kim exchanged texts over the next few days about the BC pills. Skylar asked when she should begin taking them, and after she had, told Kim she was having extremely painful cramps from the pills. Kim told her - that's good, it means the pills are working, and you'll be back to having "super regular" periods in a few months.

10. A few days later, on May 1, Kim hacked Skylar's email and read a summary of the DR visit, including the pregnancy test results, and that the BC pills had first been prescribed then "discontinued" on the same day - the day of her visit.

Kim texted Skylar a WTH, Skylar told her it was a mistake and that she would call the DR to get it straightened out.

11. Skylar told LE she assumed she was to take the pills since the script had gone through after all, that Andrews had never told her not to take the pills, that she took them per the instructions on the script, once a day, and that she didn't think taking them would harm the baby.

12. Skylar lied to her father when he asked her if LE had questioned her about taking the pills when she knew she was pregnant. She said they had not. LE did.

13. Though Kim told Scott (dad) she didn't know if taking pills when pregnant could harm a baby, it was Kim who first (and early on) told Skylar LE would believe Skylar took the pills to self-abort.
------
((There's no way of knowing, but IMO it's not impossible one reason why Skylar dodged straight answers about why she took the pills is because she thought those answers might implicate her mother.

Whatever the truth, it's VERY easy to read their text exchanges about Skylar & BC pills and conclude not only did Kim know Skylar was pregnant, but that her insistence that Skylar get and take the pills was because Kim believed taking the pills would cause Skylar to abort)).

As an aside. Wonder why the DRs didn't question how Skylar could need a refill for a script they thought they had cancelled?

Thank you so much for summarizing this for me! I understand now. As for Mom knowing Skyler was pregnant, I thought the following was questionable: the day after Skyler gave birth (I think that was the day)...she texts her Mom something like ‘I’m so excited I’m finally getting my tummy back! I’m so excited about being able to wear something cute out to dinner yonight’

Those aren’t verbatim, but it was something like that. It made it sound like Mom would know why Skyler’s stomach was flattening out again...IDK. Just my thought! This case bothers me so much.

i totally believe her mother knew she was pregnant, wanted her to take the pills to abort and most likely helped her the night IT was born. And i do not believe the name Annabelle was a thought until court.
She must have known.
Otherwise, when Skylar texted her about getting her belly back her response would have been, "What? How?"
Imo

She must have known.
Otherwise, when Skylar texted her about getting her belly back her response would have been, "What? How?"
Imo
I would agree! I can't understand why her mother didn't question her how she did it. I believe her mother knew also. This is one of very few cases I have followed I believe a person was found Not Guilty whom was actually Guilty.

IMHO

She must have known.
Imo

There is no way of ever knowing what Skylar's mother did or did not know, and those texts can be interpreted in multiple ways.

FWIW, Skylar's attorneys post-verdict made a point of saying they believed her parents were good people who had done their best, while also conceding Kim hadn't handled Skylar's EDs especially well.

Though admittedly an after the fact, purely speculative and totally pointless thing to wonder about, looking at the texts between Kim and Skylar about BC pills etc. before Skylar gave birth, what if Skylar believed her mother knew she was pregnant (whether or not that was true), and interpreted Kim's insistence about taking the pill as an unsaid but understood instruction to take them in order to self-abort?

I find it hard to believe an eighteen yr. old would go through a pregnancy, face all the unknowns, and not tell anyone. A typical eighteen yr. old would be scared to death and seek emotional support from someone.

I can't wrap my head around Skylar caring enough to name the baby.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AR Sleuth
Back