OH OH - Asenath 'Seenie' Dukat, 8, Upper Arlington, 3 June 1980

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Is there any possibility that this murder case could be solved by using genealogical DNA databases to possibly identify who killed Asenath Louise 'Seenie' Dukat?

It is my understanding that another Columbus area murder case, the September 1982 murder of 8 year old Kelly Prosser, was solved by LE using genealogical DNA databases to identify the person who murdered Kelly Prosser.

Is there any possibility that this murder case could be solved by using genealogical DNA databases to possibly identify who killed Asenath Louise 'Seenie' Dukat?

It is my understanding that another Columbus area murder case, the September 1982 murder of 8 year old Kelly Prosser, was solved by LE using genealogical DNA databases to identify the person who murdered Kelly Prosser.

There are two primary suspects (police believe they deserve all focus) and both of their DNA profiles are with the UAPD from subpoenas early in the investigation. The key is finding the suitable DNA from the crime scenes in 1980 to connect them to murder. Genealogical databases are used when DNA is found, but they don't know who it belongs to. The best option is to retest evidence with new more advanced methodologies to seek a match the existing profiles of the two suspects.

Yes...every member of our family and friends as well
Hi I am so sorry about your sister. I have been searching for info on RCW for a couple of years. I believe he is a serial killer. Would you please look up the case of Abby Williams and Liberty German in Delphi Indiana? The girls were murdered but secretly took a video of their killer. I have been searching for someone who knows RCW and to ask them if they would look up that video to see if this murderer looks and sounds like RCW. This murder happened at the Monon High Bridge in Delphi and I found out RCW’s Abate motorcycle club has a ride that went through The Monon High Bridge Park. As soon as I heard your sister had passed I was suspicious immediately.

Hi I am so sorry about your sister. I have been searching for info on RCW for a couple of years. I believe he is a serial killer. Would you please look up the case of Abby Williams and Liberty German in Delphi Indiana? The girls were murdered but secretly took a video of their killer. I have been searching for someone who knows RCW and to ask them if they would look up that video to see if this murderer looks and sounds like RCW. This murder happened at the Monon High Bridge in Delphi and I found out RCW’s Abate motorcycle club has a ride that went through The Monon High Bridge Park. As soon as I heard your sister had passed I was suspicious immediately.
Please watch the video the girls took of their killer and more importantly listen to his voice. The police said the person in the video is their killer. People like RCW who do sex crimes and murder as a teenager DO NOT CHANGE they get worse. I truly believe all he learnt in prison is not to kill in your own back yard. There are many murders with the same MO all around Columbus and surrounding states. For years.

How is rcw as a neighbor? Jennifer is my sister so you may know the circumstances behind her death.
I am so terribly sorry about your sister. I wish I'd seen this message at the time you posted...I am wondering if you know if anyone contacted the Columbus Police and/or UA Police with concerns regarding Jennifer's death? Are police aware of who her roommate was?

Again, I'm so sorry for your loss.

On Nov. 24,2020 Jennifer posted on Facebook she was involved in a vehicle incident on the highway. Her tie rod separated from the wheel. I am now wondering if this was a previous attempt to end her life???... Had someone who had access to her vehicle tampered with it in order to set up an opportunity to kill her?

Ive posted this many times, before remember the offenders name usually surfaces in the investigation within 7 days

"Just some general factors common in most child abduction homicides to consider

If you were to apply most states' general guidelines to classify "sexually violent predators", the majority of these individuals would fit the profile outlined in such hence their existence.

-The Offender is usually in the area of the abduction for legitimate reasons, they usually live or work nearby or this may be a normal route for them to travel in their daily activities

-The mean age of the offender in most of these cases, is 27 years old, but that works upon a slide rule (22-32) depending on factors such as incarceration time and time in treatment, or the military etc..

-Approximately 70% are white males

-Almost always these crimes are perpetrated for sexual reasons.

-The offender usually has a criminal history most often with a focus on crimes against children, (not always, adult victims are not uncommon) but these will almost always of a sexual nature, these may however have gone unprosecuted, for several reasons

-Often labelled as "Social Marginals" they are usually considered "oddballs" or "weird" and aren't usually above suspicion in such cases, with a tendency toward sociopathic behavior, In many cases, they are suspected almost immediately.

-Weak social bonds, may have what they consider "friends" in a mitigated context

-Most have an identified disorder, usually sexual, but also behavioral , slightly fewer abuse intoxicants.

-Often frequent residence changes (moves) in their past , prior to the incident, usually at least 1 within a year prior to the incident.

-Offender usually acts alone

-Offender is unknown (stranger) to the victim in most cases, but only slightly less are acquaintances

-Slightly less than half are unemployed or underemployed at time of incident

-Occupation is usually blue collar considered "unskilled" or "semi skilled" . with construction being the most prominent industry

-Usually live with parents or a family member

-Unmarried or in any type of intimate relationship at time of incident

-Offender, is usually not in any kind of legal custody status at the time (Probation/Parole etc..)

-Victim is selected usually as a target of opportunity, physical characteristics other than gender and size usually bear little weight in victim selection.

-Physical force is the most common method used to secure the victim, followed by con/ruse

-Offender used a vehicle in approx 98% of abductions, where the victim was found deceased (Note to parents: Teach children to avoid vehicles at all costs, and to either get out of it or disable the vehicle , or draw attention to it if they find themselves in that situation)

-Stressing events prior to , play much less a role in child abduction murders as opposed to abduction murders of adults, than we once thought, these individuals tend to be more like "killers in waiting" , then angry retaliatory types.

-In only about 10% of cases, (not related to serial cases) has the offender committed a prior murder of a child, and only about 6.5 % had previously kidnapped a child. .

-The Victim is often abducted less than .4 Mi from their home, they are usually transported greater than 5 Mi from the abduction site

-Victim is usually alone at the time of abduction, to a lesser extent with friends

-Overwhelmingly the victims are usually white, female, mean age of approx 11 years old. (the younger the victim the more theres a propensity for the offender to ba an aquaintence or family member)

-The Murder site is often less then 200 feet from the body recovery site

-The victim is usually deceased within the 1st 1-5 hours following the abduction, about 76% were killed within 3 hours of the abduction, and almost 100% within 24 hours , this is important to note because most children aren't reported missing until 2-4 hours following the actual abduction, which means in the majority of cases, the victim is deceased before they are even reported missing (the 1st 48 does not pertain to child abduction cases, the time frame is much smaller)

-The offenders name usually comes up within the 1st 48 hours, is usually known to investigators within the 1st week of the investigation, though not necessarily as a suspect.

-As we are now learning with the emergence of all these cases, being solved by DNA, the offender often commits further crimes of a sexual nature, though often short of murder, in many cases. (Investigative consideration should be considered in ALL crimes of a sexual nature to collect and submit DNA and do a THOROUGH background investigation on individuals suspected of such crimes, as well as anyone interviewed and perhaps not considered a suspect this is extremely important as many of these individuals have committed prior crimes, but were not prosecuted or caught ) "

Hi everyone,

Ever since the podcast was released, I've been totally fascinated by this case. I didn't grow up in Columbus, but I did live there for 10 years, and I know this area of UA quite well. In fact, I had my car serviced at the shop located on the corner of Riverside and Waltham on numerous occasions, and not once did I have any idea of the history of what had happened there 30 years earlier. I was actually kind of surprised (and disappointed) that so many of my friends that grew up in the Columbus area had never heard of Seenie and the other cases in the early 80s.

Unfortunately, there are aspects of this case that remind me of the Jon Benet Ramsey case in Boulder -- especially related to the initial mistakes made by the police in securing the crime scene and collecting the evidence. In addition, given that this was 1980 and DNA testing was at least a decade (if not longer) away from a reality, the evidence that was collected was likely not preserved in a state that makes modern forensic methods as viable.

There are some things that really stand out in my mind (and others have touched on these things as well):

1) It strikes me as nearly impossible that an "outsider" would have perpetrated the 7. May attempted rape and the murder in question. Even though Waltham is right off US-33/Riverside Dr, it's an upper-class area where strangers would be noticed. In my mind, the only people (I use the plural purposely) that would likely try to pull of these crimes would be those that are familiar with the neighborhood, and those that wouldn't be seen as outsiders.

2) Suspect #1 (BS): As others have mentioned, he had severe mental issues, and would likely act impulsively versus being a planner. Unfortunately, he chose to end things for himself in 1984. His mother remained in the same house in UA until she passed in 2020. However, he still has two living brothers in California; it would be interesting to see if they have any memories or information about their brother from that time (if they are willing to speak to anyone about it). Even though it's unclear about why he was ruled out as a suspect (enough to be arrested), it seems like BS was very disturbed by the events of May-June 1980 for one reason or another. He was either involved, or knew something.

3) Suspect #2 (RCW): I would be extremely curious to understand this person's psychological profile. I find it most intriguing that even after all of the media attention and a prison sentence for attacking another woman...he chose to remain in Columbus to this day. I truly do not understand this. One would think that after all of this, wouldn't you want to start over somewhere else where you're not dragging around all of this from the past? Two possibilities stand out in my mind: innocence or extreme narcissism, and if it's the latter, wouldn't this type of person be able to easily manipulate Suspect #1?

4) Date & Location: I just don't understand these two factors at all. Why would you choose a primary election day to commit such a crime - and then deposit the body so close to a polling location? If the assailant(s) had a vehicle (which seems to be the main line of thinking now, right?) - why deposit the body so close to a high-traffic location? It's almost as though they wanted the body to be found, and to deposit the body so close to her home/neighborhood? Was there some motive of retribution at the family? If it wasn't retribution, then I don't understand why an assailant(s) with a car would come back to this location. Also, if it was premeditated, why in the world would the assailant(s) chose that day in particular? These two factors make me think that the "vehicle" was the bike after all and that the crime was more impulsive than planned ahead.

Those are my thoughts from an armchair sleuth perspective, but in closing, I'd really like to commend the group of folks from UA that compiled and maintain longwalkhomeua.com. The information and personal stories are truly top-notch and will go a long way to getting folks involved.

I really hope that eventually there is some closure for Seenie, her family, and the UA community.

Last edited:
Hi everyone,

Ever since the podcast was released, I've been totally fascinated by this case. I didn't grow up in Columbus, but I did live there for 10 years, and I know this area of UA quite well. In fact, I had my car serviced at the shop located on the corner of Riverside and Waltham on numerous occasions, and not once did I have any idea of the history of what had happened there 30 years earlier. I was actually kind of surprised (and disappointed) that so many of my friends that grew up in the Columbus area had never heard of Seenie and the other cases in the early 80s.

Unfortunately, there are aspects of this case that remind me of the Jon Benet Ramsey case in Boulder -- especially related to the initial mistakes made by the police in securing the crime scene and collecting the evidence. In addition, given that this was 1980 and DNA testing was at least a decade (if not longer) away from a reality, the evidence that was collected was likely not preserved in a state that makes modern forensic methods as viable.

There are some things that really stand out in my mind (and others have touched on these things as well):

1) It strikes me as nearly impossible that an "outsider" would have perpetrated the 7. May attempted rape and the murder in question. Even though Waltham is right off US-33/Riverside Dr, it's an upper-class area where strangers would be noticed. In my mind, the only people (I use the plural purposely) that would likely try to pull of these crimes would be those that are familiar with the neighborhood, and those that wouldn't be seen as outsiders.

2) Suspect #1 (BS): As others have mentioned, he had severe mental issues, and would likely act impulsively versus being a planner. Unfortunately, he chose to end things for himself in 1984. His mother remained in the same house in UA until she passed in 2020. However, he still has two living brothers in California; it would be interesting to see if they have any memories or information about their brother from that time (if they are willing to speak to anyone about it). Even though it's unclear about why he was ruled out as a suspect (enough to be arrested), it seems like BS was very disturbed by the events of May-June 1980 for one reason or another. He was either involved, or knew something.

3) Suspect #2 (RCW): I would be extremely curious to understand this person's psychological profile. I find it most intriguing that even after all of the media attention and a prison sentence for attacking another woman...he chose to remain in Columbus to this day. I truly do not understand this. One would think that after all of this, wouldn't you want to start over somewhere else where you're not dragging around all of this from the past? Two possibilities stand out in my mind: innocence or extreme narcissism, and if it's the latter, wouldn't this type of person be able to easily manipulate Suspect #1?

4) Date & Location: I just don't understand these two factors at all. Why would you choose a primary election day to commit such a crime - and then deposit the body so close to a polling location? If the assailant(s) had a vehicle (which seems to be the main line of thinking now, right?) - why deposit the body so close to a high-traffic location? It's almost as though they wanted the body to be found, and to deposit the body so close to her home/neighborhood? Was there some motive of retribution at the family? If it wasn't retribution, then I don't understand why an assailant(s) with a car would come back to this location. Also, if it was premeditated, why in the world would the assailant(s) chose that day in particular? These two factors make me think that the "vehicle" was the bike after all and that the crime was more impulsive than planned ahead.

Those are my thoughts from an armchair sleuth perspective, but in closing, I'd really like to commend the group of folks from UA that compiled and maintain longwalkhomeua.com. The information and personal stories are truly top-notch and will go a long way to getting folks involved.

I really hope that eventually there is some closure for Seenie, her family, and the UA community.

Thank you for becoming part of this case. As a member of TLWH, we couldn't be more grateful that you are taking an interest.

It was Brent Strutner.

Interestingly, they found he was a DNA match to the forensic evidence back in 2008. I'm unclear as to why they waited to share that, it seems they might have wanted to rule out any accomplices.

I am thinking of Seenie's loved ones - I hope this brings at least some tiny bit of peace to them.

Link to article on UA official site

Last edited:
Wow, so Strutner was a DNA match way back in 2008 but they could never definitively link RCW? I guess that's what you just said @Truman but I was trying to sort it out in my own head after reading your link. I know a lot of people have a big emotional investment in this case and hope that this news brings peace to those affected by Seenie's senseless death.

“Investigators for the Upper Arlington Police Division have tirelessly pursued justice for the Dukat Family for more than four decades,” Farmer said. “I am the sixth chief to oversee these efforts and appreciate the hard work that has been put into this case through the years.”
  • vlcsnap-2022-08-11-11h10m08s901-e1660231446516.png
    Upper Arlington police search a creek bed for evidence related to Asenath Dukat’s death. (NBC4 File Photo)Read More »
  • vlcsnap-2022-08-11-10h55m58s065-e1660229785340.png

Watch a 2011 report by NBC4 that revisited Dukat’s cold case below:

The Dukat case was on the news last night on the Columbus TV stations.

Sources:

Four decade old Upper Arlington cold case solved through DNA technology​

Upper Arlington police close 1980 murder case of 8-year-old girl​

1980 cold case murder solved in Upper Arlington, thanks to DNA​

I’m late to the party. Was genetic genealogy used to solve this?

A couple of things of note. The DNA match with Strutner occurred in 2008. The family has been aware of this since that time. This is not news or relief to them. The DNA match to Strutner came from the vaginal aspirate generated from the autopsy. Indicating Brent Strutner raped her. As you may know, Seannie was struck with a 20 lb rock to the head. There were footprints found within a foot of Asenath's head that matched the shoes of Robert 'Chris' Winchester. Strutner's neighbor. There is DNA matching Robert 'Chris' Winchester on a nearly IDENTICAL attack on May 7th, one month prior to Asenath's murder. The only real difference is that child was not killed, hence the statute of limitations are in effect as it was booked as assault- or something similar. Most just read the headline, "case solved", but those of us who care deeply about this know a killer is likely still at large.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
emmab
Back