OH OH - Brian Shaffer, 27, Columbus, 1 Apr 2006 #5

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
The more I look at this case the more I think Brian just drunkenly wandered off and drowned. He could have dropped his cell phone along the way and someone picked it up, maybe fiddled with it for a couple of days, and then threw it in the garbage. Never realizing it was connected to a missing person.

The more I look at this case the more I think Brian just drunkenly wandered off and drowned. He could have dropped his cell phone along the way and someone picked it up, maybe fiddled with it for a couple of days, and then threw it in the garbage. Never realizing it was connected to a missing person.
That would make sense if his phone didn't ping months later.

That would make sense if his phone didn't ping months later.
The "ping" months later has already been explained by the phone company as likely to be a false ping.
If you want to believe that the ping was real, the phone still could have been picked up by a random person, tossed in a drawer once the battery died, and then plugged in and turned on months later.
However, I trust the pone company's statement that it was likely a false ping.

The "ping" months later has already been explained by the phone company as likely to be a false ping.
If you want to believe that the ping was real, the phone still could have been picked up by a random person, tossed in a drawer once the battery died, and then plugged in and turned on months later.
I don’t ever recall that being explained as a false ping. I could be mistaken but I thought it was described as possibly a false ping, but could have been powered on. And I believe this was revisited as technology advanced and time went on.

I don’t ever recall that being explained as a false ping. I could be mistaken but I thought it was described as possibly a false ping, but could have been powered on. And I believe this was revisited as technology advanced and time went on.
There is no way to confirm that it was a false ping, but the cellular service provider stated that it was likely—something that occurs when the nearest tower to the caller is busy. There is a more detailed explanation in one of the previous threads (and I may be oversimplifying it).
Given all of the information that we have, it is far more likely than not that it was a false ping, in my opinion.
If it was a real ping, then it could be that someone found Brian's phone and tossed it/ gave it away/ recycled it/ threw it in a drawer and charged it months later/ etc.
It's also possible that someone was in possession of the phone because he or she harmed Brian.
The ping, false or real, cannot be taken as evidence that Brian was still alive and in possession of the phone; that would be ridiculous, in my opinion. However, we have seen wishful thinking guide the conversation many times over, so I am not surprised that some people want to spin it that way.

Last edited:
There is no way to confirm that it was a false ping, but the cellular service provider stated that it was likely—something that occurs when the nearest tower to the caller is busy. There is a more detailed explanation in one of the previous threads (and I may be oversimplifying it).
Given all of the information that we have, it is far more likely than not that it was a false ping, in my opinion.
If it was a real ping, then it could be that someone found Brian's phone and tossed it/ gave it away/ recycled it/ threw it in a drawer and charged it months later/ etc.
It's also possible that someone was in possession of the phone because he or she harmed Brian.
The ping, false or real, cannot be taken as evidence that Brian was still alive and in possession of the phone; that would be ridiculous, in my opinion. However, we have seen wishful thinking guide the conversation many times over, so I am not surprised that some people want to spin it that way.
No way Brian is alive but I lean toward someone having his phone. Whether that be innocent or nefarious.

so how do they know which ones are real? Cause isn't phone data a huge thing in convicting people of crimes? I know the technology has changed since 06 but still I don't understand how that could happen

so how do they know which ones are real? Cause isn't phone data a huge thing in convicting people of crimes? I know the technology has changed since 06 but still I don't understand how that could happen
It's tough to say. The cell phone company has said that it was a likely a glitch, and they should know.

Even if it wasn't, I would guess that someone else decided to plug it in.

Some people thought that the phone could have been found and made its way to the cell phone recycling center in Hilliard, where it might have been powered up in order to test the components.

I would bet anything that Brian was already dead by the time he was reported missing.

I once found an i-pod on campus at the college where I was taking a couple of classes. I didn't get around to turning it in to the campus police station for at least a month. That wasn't planned; it's just that turning it in required a special trip on my part because the campus police station was pretty far from the buildings where I had classes. Someone could have found Brian's phone, never gotten around to turning it in anywhere, and eventually just donated it to Good Will or a similar organization.

It's tough to say. The cell phone company has said that it was a likely a glitch, and they should know.

Even if it wasn't, I would guess that someone else decided to plug it in.

Some people thought that the phone could have been found and made its way to the cell phone recycling center in Hilliard, where it might have been powered up in order to test the components.

I would bet anything that Brian was already dead by the time he was reported missing.

I once found an i-pod on campus at the college where I was taking a couple of classes. I didn't get around to turning it in to the campus police station for at least a month. That wasn't planned; it's just that turning it in required a special trip on my part because the campus police station was pretty far from the buildings where I had classes. Someone could have found Brian's phone, never gotten around to turning it in anywhere, and eventually just donated it to Good Will or a similar organization.
I can definitely see that. Im pretty sure even if he ran off he wouldn't have stayed local and then turned his phone on

Definitely. He was a smart guy, imo if he left to start a new life he would’ve known any identification stays behind. License, credit card, any other ID and phone.
Yeah but he wouldn't have been
No one is trying to spin anything anyway...? Saying he left is plausible because he was known to take off over arguments with his mates, he knew Spanish, He asked Alexis to run away with him, he stated in his my space that he didn't want to be a Dr. and knew someone in puerto vallarta. His phone pinging could have been because he didn't think his phone number would have been paid for to stay active, but it was? That's not spinning anything, it's looking at his past behaviours and applying to losing the only person in his family who he felt truly cared about him. The argument with his dad about the money, getting shot down by his brother to come out could have definitely weighed further on his mental health. He could have died, He could be in a body of water somewhere, but until there's any evidence of it, then it could be either scenario.

I don’t think the pings were a glitch. If it were just one ping, I could see it being a glitch. But the phone pinged to more than one tower and on multiple occasions before it stopped.

The problem with this information is that it doesn’t conclusively rule out any theory. It would favour murder in my opinion. If Brian were murdered, it would make sense that the murderer moved his phone around while trying to destroy evidence, fearing that someone would find it or that there would be a police raid at his/her home.

Brian wouldn’t have been expected to dispose of his phone if he committed suicide (though he could have lost it). If he ran away, it would have been foolish to stick around the Columbus area where people were looking for him.

Yeah but he wouldn't have been

No one is trying to spin anything anyway...? Saying he left is plausible because he was known to take off over arguments with his mates, he knew Spanish, He asked Alexis to run away with him, he stated in his my space that he didn't want to be a Dr. and knew someone in puerto vallarta. His phone pinging could have been because he didn't think his phone number would have been paid for to stay active, but it was? That's not spinning anything, it's looking at his past behaviours and applying to losing the only person in his family who he felt truly cared about him. The argument with his dad about the money, getting shot down by his brother to come out could have definitely weighed further on his mental health. He could have died, He could be in a body of water somewhere, but until there's any evidence of it, then it could be either scenario.
So this theory is that knowing someone in Puerto Vallarta enabled Brian to run away, but he only ran away to Hilliard?

Sorry, but this line of reasoning is an attempt to make the evidence fit a theory, in my opinion.

It is highly improbable that Brian voluntarily ran away—to Hilliard no less—because his brother couldn't go bar hopping with him.

Last edited:
He could have died, He could be in a body of water somewhere, but until there's any evidence of it, then it could be either scenario.
This argument is a false equivalency. Saying because there is no evidence he died (body found) it must be an either/or scenario, isn’t really fair.

The man hasn’t been seen for 17 years after being drunk at a bar along with making plans with other friends. How many people that have been missing for that long ended up being alive vs. being found dead? I’m willing to bet less than .001% are found alive/were alive for a long time after having gone missing. Not to mention, there are thousands of John Doe’s out there unidentified. If Brian were still alive or alive for years after he went missing, it would be a miracle. It’s wishful thinking.

This argument is a false equivalency. Saying because there is no evidence he died (body found) it must be an either/or scenario, isn’t really fair.

The man hasn’t been seen for 17 years after being drunk at a bar along with making plans with other friends. How many people that have been missing for that long ended up being alive vs. being found dead? I’m willing to bet less than .001% are found alive/were alive for a long time after having gone missing. Not to mention, there are thousands of John Doe’s out there unidentified. If Brian were still alive or alive for years after he went missing, it would be a miracle. It’s wishful thinking.
Wishful thinking or not, there’s zero evidence of anything. Which is why we are still discussing it , hashing it over, arguing about it, etc., etc…… to this day.
Just as it should be. Otherwise the Brian Shaffer thread would be dead.
Though I still love hearing all the theories. Who knows, it may lead to something! Cheers! JMO

Last edited:
Wishful thinking or not, there’s zero evidence of anything.
That isn’t exactly true. There is plenty of evidence, just not definitive evidence. I’m sure the cops have loads of evidence but nothing substantive to arrest anyone. IMO they blew the case from the get go by not going after the guys he met up with that night.

That isn’t exactly true. There is plenty of evidence, just not definitive evidence. I’m sure the cops have loads of evidence but nothing substantive to arrest anyone. IMO they blew the case from the get go by not going after the guys he met up with that night.
I would be very interested to see the evidence that I must have missed. Could you share it here please ?

I would be very interested to see the evidence that I must have missed. Could you share it here please ?
There is footage of him at the bar, his phone pings, statements given by people interviewed (mainly private), Brian's phone records (mainly private), his lack of activity after having gone missing, no sightings of him anywhere, I could go on and on.

Evidence is a very broad term. What are you referring to by the word "evidence?" If you mean there is not concrete evidence that he is dead, then yeah I'd agree. That requires a body, blood, or some type of confession at least. But as is the case with almost everything, there is always evidence. Most of it is protected and in the hands of the police.

It doesn't make sense that his body hasn't been found if he drowned. The Olentangy isn't the Ohio or Mississippi River. IMOO

There is footage of him at the bar, his phone pings, statements given by people interviewed (mainly private), Brian's phone records (mainly private), his lack of activity after having gone missing, no sightings of him anywhere, I could go on and on.

Evidence is a very broad term. What are you referring to by the word "evidence?" If you mean there is not concrete evidence that he is dead, then yeah I'd agree. That requires a body, blood, or some type of confession at least. But as is the case with almost everything, there is always evidence. Most of it is protected and in the hands of the police.
Oh ok. I’m aware of the footage, pings, etc. Wasn’t sure if there was something I’d missed, and I could be a little rusty on all the details, as this has been going on so long. And, I’m not as young as I once was, lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mimimaria