OH OH - Brian Shaffer, 27, Columbus, 1 April 2006 - #2

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
A few minutes ago I was thinking the same thing! It's very heartening to see Disappeared and the Nancy Grace series on missing people. It's important to keep these cases in the public eye. And with Brian's dad gone now, we've lost the most natural advocate for his case.

Let's try to remember him on the anniversary.

There is a cemetary at Lane and Olentangy, fairly large one.

If you're talking about the perpetual care cemetery known as Union Cemetery, it's not on Lane Avenue & Olentangy River Road.

The old section of the cemetery is at Olentangy River Road & Ackerman Road. The new section of the cemetery is at Olentangy River Road near the 315 Freeway.

Is it possible to put someone in a new grave and it not be discovered?

I don't think so. Union Cemetery has their own security guards that patrol the cemetery grounds when it's closed.

If you do a search for Brian Shaffer forensic astrology you will find a forensic astrology website that did a detailed chart for him. Even talks about how the chart goes in the direction of Brian leaving with an employee who worked there possibly through an employee exit. I'm not sure how I feel about it but it was very very interesting...

I agree...I also wish the show "Disappeared" would do an episode on him. They will soon be filming for their fourth season so maybe he will be included this time. I've been to their website several times to try to recommend Brian for an episode, but can't find a way to contact them with suggestions.

In about 2-1/2 weeks, it will be five years since he went missing.

Just bumping up this post. I wish Disappeared would do a show on him soon.

Just bumping up this post. I wish Disappeared would do a show on him soon.

The new season of Disappeared should start in Sept. or Oct. if they stick to when they have started their new seasons in the past. The show has become so popular, they may start it early. Brian's case would be perfect for them. I'd be anxious also to see if they would interview Clint. I think the show would contact him, but who knows if he would agree to an interview. I'd sure love to hear what he has to say!

Me, too. I would love to hear Clint, as well as some of the female figures in the case. Someone knows what hapened to Brian.

Wow... I go to OSU and just turned 21...have been in the Ugly Tuna area a lot since it is in the same building as the movie theater. After I was leaving the bar the other night..I thought back to a story I had heard about a student who went missing and thought the area I was in reminded me of the video footage I remember seeing...

I'm not from Ohio so I really wasn't sure when/where I had heard it...also 5 years ago is a while back so my memory wasn't too clear.

But I was right...Ugly Tuna for sure. So sad that he went missing and nothing has been found out. Obviously had a bright future ahead of him... Columbus is a big place and it is easy to get disoriented if you're drunk (I've been here for 3 years and I have gotten lost while wandering around drunk -- STUPID and UNSAFE I know!).

Praying for you, Brian. Hope you are found safely!! Buckeye nation loves you.

OK, young buckeye. What you should learn from reading the Missing boards on WS is that:
  • You never drink so much that you can't react in case of danger.
  • You always go to a bar with a buddy or buddies (whether you are male or female) and you ALWAYS leave with the same people.
  • You always have a designated driver who does not drink.
  • The designated driver makes the decision about when to leave.
  • The designated driver should have everyone's agreement to call 911 if anything goes wrong, even if there are underage drinkers in the group (which, of course, there should not be).
  • No one ever leaves alone.
  • No one ever leaves with a stranger.
  • And no one is ever left behind.

So many college age kids don't realize the dangers of drinking too much as well as the danger of being exposed to predators and other dangerous folks who may be hanging around bars where college kids go. Brian, Natalee Holloway, and a whole bunch of young males who started out having a good time and ended up dead in a body of water are prime examples of why it is smart to do the deciding before you go out out. In Brian's case, had his friend been a better friend, people could have been searching for him THE NIGHT HE WENT MISSING, because even if LE won't search, family members, college friends, and others can start looking right away. Better a few hours spent hunting for your friend than a lifetime of regret for leaving him or her behind.

Amen, pittsburghgirl. ncbuckeyecb - I'm a Columbus native, and I've been down to Gateway a ton (South Campus/the block with Ugly Tuna). There's been a fatal shooting in the parking garage there not that long ago, and plenty of ugly incidents. I always have security guards walk me to my car if I'm parked there AND go with a group of friends. If you go two blocks east, you're in a bad part of town, and there's some rough parts to the north of the bars there, too.

OSU can be great, but it can also be very dangerous. I had a friend who lived off of Lane (a man), who was robbed three times during his time there (once at gunpoint). Be safe!

On topic, I do think Brian left by the employee entrance. I've gone to Ugly Tuna a few times and really checked out the escalators and entrance - even if there was a crowd, I think they would still have been able to pick him up leaving. The hallways and stairs are very wide, and can accommodate many people. He definitely had to leave another way not to be seen. Plus, with the way Ugly Tuna is laid out, you can disappear from your friends very quickly - it's curved in shape, with a bar smack dab in the middle. It's hard to see around the bar - you're pretty much limited to those people in your immediate vicinity.

OK. Here are my new questions:

1. Was/Is it common for patrons to leave through the employee entrance? I can't recall using an employee entrance to a bar or restaurant since my waitress days, but it might be different in a bar on the second floor of a building. Do people use the employee entrance to get past a bouncer or an ID check, for example?

2. Did Brian know anyone who worked at the Ugly Tuna?

3. Does the video from the main entrance show any of Brian's friends leaving or returning after Brian was seen coming back up the escalator?

OK. Here are my new questions:

1. Was/Is it common for patrons to leave through the employee entrance? I can't recall using an employee entrance to a bar or restaurant since my waitress days, but it might be different in a bar on the second floor of a building. Do people use the employee entrance to get past a bouncer or an ID check, for example?

2. Did Brian know anyone who worked at the Ugly Tuna?

3. Does the video from the main entrance show any of Brian's friends leaving or returning after Brian was seen coming back up the escalator?

1. No. I went to Ugly Tuna the first time in the Summer of 2006, and at that time, there was only one entrance - up the escalator/stairs in the building. Once on the second floor, the movie theater was to the left and Ugly Tuna was immediately to the right. When you enter, they don't just look at the birthdate on your ID, they actually swipe it. I don't know if things became more strict after Brian went missing, but every time I've been there, everyone must enter/exit by the main entrance. Since it's a campus bar, they're very strict about IDs, and I don't think anyone would be able to sneak in the back way, as that could have strict legal consequences. It may happen, but it's not common, to my knowledge.

2. I don't know. If the investigation turned up any connections, I'm not aware of it.

3. I'm not sure - perhaps someone else may remember more about the video than I do. It's been so long with this case, a lot of the specific details aren't as clear as they should be.

Just to give a better picture of the bar - when you enter, the restrooms are immediately to the right. There's often lines out the door, obscuring the view. The bar is oblong shaped and positioned almost perpendicular to the entrance. Between its proximity to the wall and the lines for the bathroom, there's no way to get around on the right hand side, you have to go to the left. There's a few booths and tables to the left of the bar, making it difficult to get to the rest of the bar. Generally this area is pretty packed and you can't see who all is in the bar. Once you get past the tip of the bar, the area is a bit more open with a stage, some tables flanking the opposing side of the bar from the entrance, and a long, narrow patio for smokers. I'm hypothesizing the employee entrance is through the kitchen (doors on the left wall), since I've never seen any other entrance/exit. The way it's packed in there, I used to worry about the stampede if there were a fire, since there appeared to be only one entrance/exit. Because of the position of the bar, which basically takes up most of the space, you can't see from one side of the bar to the other if you're looking for friends. When it's packed with people, all bets are off for sure. It's quite easy to be separated from your friends in that place, because of its poor visibility and lack of clear floor space.

I have two questions concerning the inside layout of the Ugly Tuna.

First, how well is the bar lighted on the inside? Does it have dim lighting that you can't hardly see inside the bar?

And second, have you ever seen any security cameras inside the bar area?

During the day, it's well lit. However, at night, it's fairly dim but not dark. It depends on the section of the bar you are in. Closer to the entrance/exit/bathrooms/back of the bar, it's darker. On the other side of the bar, it's dim, but you can see, provided you're not packed in there. On the outdoor patio, there's bright fluorescent lights overhead. Overall it's not very dark - visibility has to do more with the layout, and the amount of people in the bar, rather than the lighting.

I'm not sure if the lighting changed after Brian disappeared. Could be it was originally darker, but that change was made after him.

:bump:

Bumping for Brian. I can't believe we still haven't found him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Grimlockedin