Resolved OH - Franklin CO, Mummified Male, in Garage on Sullivant Ave, Columbus, 21 July 2019

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves

Gardener1850

Timeline Guru (Still Remembering Cupcake)
Reaction score
Unidentified Person / NamUs #UP59118
ME/C Case Number 19-2533

Sex: Male
Race / Ethnicity: Uncertain

Estimated Age Group: Cannot Determine
Height: Cannot Estimate
Weight: Cannot Estimate

Circumstances
Type Unidentified Deceased
Date Body Found July 21, 2019
NamUs Case Created July 31, 2019

Location Found Map
General Location 2200 Sullivant Ave. Columbus, Ohio 43223
Franklin County

Circumstances of Recovery
Decomposed/mummified male located in a garage behind 2200 Sullivant Ave. in Columbus, OH. Race and age are currently unknown. Anthropology processing is underway to gain more information.
Details of Recovery

Inventory of Remains --
Condition of Remains: Not recognizable - Mummified

The National Missing and Unidentified Persons System (NamUs)

Unidentified Person / NamUs #UP59118
ME/C Case Number 19-2533

Sex: Male
Race / Ethnicity: Uncertain

Estimated Age Group: Cannot Determine
Height: Cannot Estimate
Weight: Cannot Estimate

Circumstances
Type Unidentified Deceased
Date Body Found July 21, 2019
NamUs Case Created July 31, 2019

Location Found Map
General Location 2200 Sullivant Ave. Columbus, Ohio 43223
Franklin County

Circumstances of Recovery
Decomposed/mummified male located in a garage behind 2200 Sullivant Ave. in Columbus, OH. Race and age are currently unknown. Anthropology processing is underway to gain more information.
Details of Recovery

Inventory of Remains --
Condition of Remains: Not recognizable - Mummified

How long does it take a body to be mummified? What is the probable Post Mortem Interval? This information could really help make a probable identification.

Dennis Fout has been missing from Columbus, Ohio since February. Is six months enough time for a body to be mummified?
Original

John Hale went missing from Columbus, Ohio back in 1978. Is he a possible identity?
Original

It's hard to make any good guesses without more information and according to Namus there still processing the remains to get some more clear details. I'll be able to get a better idea when more details come out.

How long does it take a body to be mummified? What is the probable Post Mortem Interval? This information could really help make a probable identification.

Dennis Fout has been missing from Columbus, Ohio since February. Is six months enough time for a body to be mummified?
Original

John Hale went missing from Columbus, Ohio back in 1978. Is he a possible identity?
Original

It's hard to make any good guesses without more information and according to Namus there still processing the remains to get some more clear details. I'll be able to get a better idea when more details come out.

Good questions. I'm not sure but I think a body could become mummified in only 6 months. I believe it happens when the body is in a dry, mostly sealed environment where insects and animal predators cannot get to the body. I have seen it mentioned as a factor in cases where the body was found inside a closed vehicle. That makes me wonder if this body was inside a vehicle in the garage. Dennis Fout should be an easy person for the coroner to rule out-- his tattoos should still be somewhat visible if he was mummified. MOO.

My first thought was Brian Shaffer but bodies turn up in Columbus all the time in varying states of decomposition. There's no reason to think this particular one might have been him at long last. Mummification can take two weeks to two months depending on the environment.

I Googled the address and that's an actual residence. What were the circumstances? Did anyone live there?

Last edited:
My first thought was Brian Shaffer but bodies turn up in Columbus all the time in varying states of decomposition. There's no reason to think this particular one might have been him at long last. Mummification can take two weeks to two months depending on the environment.

I Googled the address and that's an actual residence. What were the circumstances? Did anyone live there?
This is not (or at least wasn’t when I lived in Columbus) a good part of town. The overhead view shows the building behind pretty run down.

The NamUs page seems to be down, hopefully he's been identified.
I have been trying for the last half hour or so, and I’ve gotten the “Sorry, we couldn’t find that page, or it is currently not accessible” message every time.

751CE0BF-E7A4-4C0B-8786-53FC86056C66.jpeg

In the meantime, I’ve had no trouble viewing other cases. I also did a quick search on their website using the decedent’s UP number, but to no avail. I wasn’t able to find an unclaimed person that fit the criteria, either.

So perhaps the UID has been identified, but I don’t seem to be able to find anything to confirm that, either ....

I have been trying for the last half hour or so, and I’ve gotten the “Sorry, we couldn’t find that page, or it is currently not accessible” message every time.

View attachment 205695

In the meantime, I’ve had no trouble viewing other cases. I also did a quick search on their website using the decedent’s UP number, but to no avail. I wasn’t able to find an unclaimed person that fit the criteria, either.

So perhaps the UID has been identified, but I don’t seem to be able to find anything to confirm that, either ....
I can’t find any info about an identification either. I know that sometimes the NamUs page is removed when an identification is made, but due to ongoing investigation, there is no announcement made. Sometimes, even when the circumstances don’t seem to indicate foul play, there is still no announcement, perhaps at the request of the family?
Anyway, too bad there is no way to know if the page is just temporarily pulled or an ID has been made.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reneej08
Back