OH OH - Harley Dilly, 14, enroute to Port Clinton High School, 20 Dec 2019

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
So sad for his grandpa. I can’t help but notice him speaking in past tense about Harley though.

“My grandson had issues and he wasn’t a perfect boy but he was a good boy and he loved his mother and he loved his family.”

JMO

Noted. It's obviously a very bad sign.

HD's grandpa also made it clear that he blames SM for whatever's happened to HD:

"Social Media has done nothing but ruin a generation of children.
It's tearing everybody apart...separating families...and ruining everybody's life."

Based on what grandpa said, I'm now really wondering if HD left behind a note for his family that expressed some kind of intent.

JMO.

Last edited:
this is an exchange between HD and another redditor on Reddit. If you look at HD's and the other redditors profile they both have been inactive for a month and both are newer accounts.

IIRC, another group traced driptosaucy Reddit profile and determined him to live in Utah? That’s all that was said about him though.

JMO

Last edited:
Noted. That's hugely concerning...it's a bad sign.

HD's grandpa also made it clear that he blames SM for whatever's happened to HD:

It's tearing everybody apart...separating families...and ruining everybody's life."

Based on what grandpa said, I'm now really wondering if HD left behind a note for his family that expressed some kind of intent.

JMO.

Or, this could just be a Grandpa's opinions and assumptions coming out? I don't know. I don't know what to think here. I really hope Harley just found a better situation and took off. I know that's not likely but wow.

I also really wish the police would change the wording and state that they just want to know Harley is okay. Saying they will return him to his parents may be keeping him from reaching out. I'm thinking of kids like SP who ran away to escape their parents...

Or, this could just be a Grandpa's opinions and assumptions coming out? I don't know. I don't know what to think here. I really hope Harley just found a better situation and took off. I know that's not likely but wow.

I also really wish the police would change the wording and state that they just want to know Harley is okay. Saying they will return him to his parents may be keeping him from reaching out. I'm thinking of kids like SP who ran away to escape their parents...

BBM:

I'm thinking LE is using that wording to allay any fears HD might have that if located, he'll be sent to juvie for running away.

The Chief has made it clear he's "acting as if" HD is still alive.
It's poor wording on his part, but we know what he means...in the absence of proof otherwise, he's giving HD the presumption of life.

JMO.

Last edited:
I have to speak up for the benefit of Social Media. When it is used by adults with appropriate caution or youth with close supervision, Social Media venues are very helpful. They offer us opportunities to stay more fully connected with friends, family, and acquaintances around the globe. It allows the quick dissemination of information, such as is helpful in missing persons and criminal cases. It gives us the opportunity to learn things that we wouldn't otherwise be able to learn. My kids learned how to make school projects, speak foreign languages, and play musical instruments....all of these and more, just by watching YouTube.

It is true that young teens are woefully prepared to be given a cart blanche on the internet. Its often tough for parents, who are from another generation and know little about the internet themselves, to realize the many dangers that exist when their children have a free rein online. It would be great if schools could add internet safety as part of their curriculum (some already do).

I also noticed the grandfather using the past tense. Harley has been gone for 10 days. Its easy to get discouraged about the possible outcome.

I don't want this to become a discussion of the benefits and drawbacks of social media. But I have a 13-year-old daughter who runs a Youtube page. She has many followers. Kids see followers as acceptance. And this is very important for a lot of the kids who do not get much attention at school. So Youtube can be quite addictive for kids who are bullied or who do not fit into social circles very well. That also means that a lot of kids with things like ADHD and who are on the spectrum can be big Youtube users and fans. And these kids often create communities. They latch onto like-minded individuals.

I don't know much about Harley. I am just now starting to follow the developments in the case. But I can say a few things from personal experience as the parent of a kid who has ADHD and is bullied quite often at school. Youtube has been a big thing for her, and it's been difficult to monitor. But I feel that she is quite safe using Youtube. In fact, I think she has friends who she confides in. And I think it's entirely possible that Harley had a similar friend who he decided to go to.

If you're out there Harley, just pick up a phone or find someone who can let people know that you're okay. Things clearly have gotten bad. But they can get better. Trust me on this. They did for my little girl, and they'll get better for you, too. You just need find the strength right now to step up and be courageous and deal with things. You have the support now of a police department, a whole city, even all of us here. And we will make sure that you are safe and that we can find ways to bring you joy. If you need to talk, PM me please.

Noted. It's obviously a very bad sign.

JMO.
FWIW, I think Harley would put a suicide note online vs write it out on paper...unless he was unable to because his devices were taken away.

I have to speak up for the benefit of Social Media. When it is used by adults with appropriate caution or youth with close supervision, Social Media venues are very helpful. They offer us opportunities to stay more fully connected with friends, family, and acquaintances around the globe. It allows the quick dissemination of information, such as is helpful in missing persons and criminal cases. It gives us the opportunity to learn things that we wouldn't otherwise be able to learn. My kids learned how to make school projects, speak foreign languages, and play musical instruments....all of these and more, just by watching YouTube.

It is true that young teens are woefully prepared to be given a cart blanche on the internet. Its often tough for parents, who are from another generation and know little about the internet themselves, to realize the many dangers that exist when their children have a free rein online. It would be great if schools could add internet safety as part of their curriculum (some already do).

I also noticed the grandfather using the past tense. Harley has been gone for 10 days. Its easy to get discouraged about the possible outcome.

In terms of accessing news and/or disseminating information quickly to a broad audience, SM can be helpful.
So there is that to be said for it.

However, it ain't all sunshine, rainbows and baby chicks.

As evidenced by this case, there are plenty of downsides to SM.

So there's that, too.

JMO.

Last edited:
FWIW, I think Harley would put a suicide note online vs write it out on paper...unless he was unable to because his devices were taken away.

It sounds like his devices were either taken away from him and/or unavailable to him b/c they were broken.

And this seeming level of dependency on a "device" is extremely alarming.

Over-reliance on technology is unhealthy.

JMO.

Last edited:
I'm curious about HD wanting to stay home the day he disappeared because he wasn't feeling well. Does his mother leave the home for work? Would HD have been alone at home that morning?

What would the benefits have been had he stayed home?

1) Easier to pack up a few things and then take off?
2) Was someone at school messing with him and he didn't want to face that person(s).
3) Was he really not feeling well?
4) Would he have remained at the house the entire day?

If Mom worked, would she feel compelled to stay home with him?

Somehow I feel him wanting to stay home that day is important.

I'm curious about HD wanting to stay home the day he disappeared because he wasn't feeling well. Does his mother leave the home for work? Would HD have been alone at home that morning?

2) Was someone at school messing with him and he didn't want to face that person(s).

I wonder if missing school/absenteeism has been an issue with HD.

If HD had already been absent from school numerous days this year, that might explain why his mom told him he had to go despite his stating he didn't feel well.

JMO.

Last edited:

I definitely agree with you on that. I think atleast initially, he was in control of this. He dropped off the grid on the way to school, because that’s what he planned to do.

If that is true, then him wanting to stay home was likely part of his initial plan, which he was forced to deviate from.

There’s lots of unknowns here, which include an additional possibility that he was worked up about being forced to go to school in the first place, and that’s why he decided to run off.

If that’s even what happened (that he did run away).

BBM:

I'm thinking LE is using that wording to allay any fears HD might have that if located, he'll be sent to juvie for running away.

The Chief has made it clear he's "acting as if" HD is still alive.
It's poor wording on his part, but we know what he means...in the absence of proof otherwise, he's giving HD the presumption of life.

JMO.

I do understand that. But I think they also need to be equally concerned about WHY a kid would run away over Christmas.

If they believe he’s afraid of punishment then they need to consider he’s afraid of going home. So saying that he won’t go to juvie AND can talk to them before going home would be best.

If he thinks he’s going to get the crap beaten out of him at home then juvie might sound better. We don’t know what he’s thinking.

I wonder if missing school/absenteeism has been an issue with HD.

If he had already had numerous absences from school this year, that might explain why his mom told him he had to go despite his stating he didn't feel well.

JMO.

There were mentions of health issues so I’m sure that has caused some absences.

All great questions! If I understand the timeline correctly, he was last seen by a NON-family member (he was at a friend's house) on Thursday 12/19 at about 7 pm. Last seen by family the morning of Friday 12/20 at about 7 am leaving for school. Possibly captured on surveillance that morning walking to school but this hasn't been confirmed. No other known sightings or communication from him since. Was reported missing by family on Saturday at about 11:30 pm. Does anyone know when his last social media activity was?

We have been told that Harley left the house that morning without his cell phone because it had recently broken. I thought I read somewhere that he had an iPad or Chromebook or something of that sort that was issued to him by the school? I'm sure LE has accounted for that and checked it. I'm trying to imagine where he would go if he wasn't able to stay home and didn't want to go to school, I imagine he might try to gain access to his social media somehow. Was there a public area near his home where he might have tried to do this? A library maybe? I'm sure family has accounted for all devices that were in the home in case he snuck one out of the house with him, or at least I hope they have. I'm sure LE have already looked into all this. And I'm babbling lol I just wish we could help more somehow.

Community holds candlelight vigil at Lake View Park for Harley Dilly

272253ed-9b93-4f76-a3fa-b34dcc2602fd-large16x9_harleyvigil.PNG

SABBM:
Over 100 people filled the park to support Harley and his family.

"Harley if you can - if somehow you're reading this or seeing this, just please come home, we all miss you," said Dylan Gibson, Harley's friend.

Earlier on Sunday, Port Clinton Police Chief Robert Hickman did not have any new updates, but wanted to clarify rumors that have been spreading.

"I need to update you on the following- we have no information that Harley Dilly was abducted or injured in anyway," Chief Hickman explained.

Chief Hickman also said that the weather will not affect their search, and they will be looking for Harley in rain, snow, or shine.

It's good that the Chief came out and corrected the misinformation People had published saying that LE believed HD was injured.

Gotta' love MSM.

JMO.

Last edited:
All great questions! If I understand the timeline correctly, he was last seen by a NON-family member (he was at a friend's house) on Thursday 12/19 at about 7 pm. Last seen by family the morning of Friday 12/20 at about 7 am leaving for school. Possibly captured on surveillance that morning walking to school but this hasn't been confirmed. No other known sightings or communication from him since. Was reported missing by family on Saturday at about 11:30 pm. Does anyone know when his last social media activity was?

We have been told that Harley left the house that morning without his cell phone because it had recently broken. I thought I read somewhere that he had an iPad or Chromebook or something of that sort that was issued to him by the school? I'm sure LE has accounted for that and checked it. I'm trying to imagine where he would go if he wasn't able to stay home and didn't want to go to school, I imagine he might try to gain access to his social media somehow. Was there a public area near his home where he might have tried to do this? A library maybe? I'm sure family has accounted for all devices that were in the home in case he snuck one out of the house with him, or at least I hope they have. I'm sure LE have already looked into all this. And I'm babbling lol I just wish we could help more somehow.

One of the things I'm struggling to understand is the delay in reporting him missing.

LE indicated HD has stayed away overnight before, but didn't his parents know where he was on those occasions?

Did or didn't his parents call the friends he had stayed with previously to make sure he was at least safely accounted for that Friday night?

If they didn't make any attempt to determine his whereabouts whatsoever that Friday, that ain't good.

If they did try to track him down, they would have been unsuccessful, which presumably would have set off warning bells for his parents....right?

What parents wouldn't contact the police right away, in those circumstances, i.e., child never showed up home from school and he isn't at the home of any friends/relatives?

The delay in reporting him missing is baffling.
The more I think about it, the uneasier I become.

Mainly because I can't imagine parents not at least phoning around to determine the whereabouts of their 14-year-old who never returned home from school.

I really do hope LE has definitively confirmed the footage on Friday morning is him.
That image appears to be incredibly grainy.

JMO.

Last edited:
Port Clinton community prays for missing teen's safe return

~snip

“Harley, if you’re out there and you’re hearing this or seeing this we all want you home,” pleaded the boy’s grandfather, Robert Styndl.

“Your mom is in the deepest depression you’ve ever seen, she needs you to lay on her and hug her like you used to, we miss you son, come home please.”

~snip

Port Clinton Police Chief, Rob Hickman, has said he’s operating as if Dilly is a runaway.

More at link:
Port Clinton community prays for missing teen's safe return

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members