Found Deceased OH - Joey LaBute, 26, Columbus, 4 March 2016 #1

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Many people don't realize that their geotagging is activated on Instagram. Some people I know have posted photos from their home and if you click on the "tag" symbol on their Instagram account a map shows up where all of the photos were taken. Right down to the exact address. It's scary. I was new to IG and had no idea until a friend told me. When I saw my home was on the map, I was pretty freaked out and changed it immediately. Even if you don't add a location manually, if the geotag settings are not off, then ALL of your photos will be mapped.

Thank you! I just checked this. Mine is off but my hubby's is on and he posts pics of our kids (and ALWAYS has a lot of strange follow requests from "women")

Well, that is frightening. Where exactly were you? I understand that there is alot of people that just "mind their own business" and turn their noses from situations like these. Are people scared? If I were to witness something like this, I would like to say that I would immediately take action... at least call 911. But, I have never been in this type of situation before really. In all the cases I have seen like this, people that decide to "mind their own business" could have PREVENTED the situation from happening.

Absolutely. Back when I was single, I was driving down High St. in the Short North and I had to pull into an alley to turn around and in my headlights I saw a guy who looked like he was getting roughed up by another. I honked, flashed my lights, and put my car in park and got out and yelled, "Hey! What's going on?!" and they stopped and went on their way. It looked like it may have been roughhousing that had just escalated a bit, but I wanted to err on the side of safety than assume they were just horsing around. I don't know what I would have done if it had really been a crime in progress, except call 911 and try to separate the guy from his assailant somehow. But...so many people just look the other way.

I understand, honestly I was just trying to be helpful. I didn't mean it that way at all. Apologies really. We are praying for Joey. I am from the area he went missing and am following and praying for all involved.

The news coverage of the "I'm driving" call has been scant. Not sure what to make of that. I realize his family is certain it was his voice but they could easily be mistaken -- particularly with such a short phone call.

And I think this was said in this thread before but "I'm driving" is a classic way to end a phone call quickly. If he desired to disappear, why answer the family's call at all and tell them he's driving somewhere? Also note, if the phone was locked, a third party would not be able to respond to texts but could answer calls.

I'm just not convinced it was him.

I totally agree.

:bump: for Joey's sake, why is he calling someone out as lying :thinking:
And then poof........................... the silence & next Joey is gone.

Whiskey Tango Foxtrot

:dunno:

This could be sarcasm though and they knew one another well enough to know the tone.

:bump: for Joey's sake, why is he calling someone out as lying :thinking:
And then poof........................... the silence & next Joey is gone.

Whiskey Tango Foxtrot

:dunno:

Wonder what the time stamp is on the other top messages ? The only one that has a time stamp is the gibberish message. The other messages sound like he was coherent. If the gibberish text came in right after the other ones (with no big delay) , then he was coherent when he sent the gibberish one.

What day is trash collection in Short North? All the talk regarding the alley ways has me wondering if he could have been attacked or raped in the alley and whether intentionally or not, he passed away and was disposed in a dumpster. It was a full day before anybody really realized he was missing, right? So that might give a day or two before trash collection happens. I imagine most bars have a collection on Sunday or Monday following the weekend.

I still don't get the "I'm driving" call, unless he really did say dying. And in any scenario, I just don't get why anybody would answer the phone. I don't get that! Had the person who received the message been blowing his phone up?

And along a whole other line of thought, I know the search party had gone near the pond in the park, but had it ever been professionally searched? How deep is it?

What day is trash collection in Short North? All the talk regarding the alley ways has me wondering if he could have been attacked or raped in the alley and whether intentionally or not, he passed away and was disposed in a dumpster. It was a full day before anybody really realized he was missing, right? So that might give a day or two before trash collection happens. I imagine most bars have a collection on Sunday or Monday following the weekend.

I still don't get the "I'm driving" call, unless he really did say dying. And in any scenario, I just don't get why anybody would answer the phone. I don't get that! Had the person who received the message been blowing his phone up?

And along a whole other line of thought, I know the search party had gone near the pond in the park, but had it ever been professionally searched? How deep is it?

As far as the "I'm driving" call.... I would think his voice would be pretty unusual/alarming/weak/shaken (etc) if he was really trying to articulate, "I'm dying." And if that was the case, I would think the family would mention the sound of his voice, if it were very unusual. I would think the family would mention that his voice sounded "off" or that he did not sound like himself.
On the other hand, there was no mention as to how he sounded or what he sounded like..... which is kinda odd.
He was obviously in a situation where he could not talk (if it was him on the phone).
And, good question about the trash- I am not sure when trash pick up is. His phone could have been ditched in a dumpster for all we know.

Does anyone have the link to the article that states, "I'm driving."
I do not think he would have said this phrase if he wasn't in a car.....

We need more information from the cousin/wife-After reading some of the screen shot of that text, it is a possibility that something upset Joey that evening. Seems like he is getting snappy with the guy he is texting- not sure what the issue is with someone lying about this Chad person seeing Stacey as his dental hygienist. I don't know.. it's just odd. I guess Stacey told Joey some news that he did not want to hear that night. Wish we knew what type of conversations they had... clues clues clues

Based on a little research, it seems Chad is the significant other of the guy Joey is texting with.

I was looking back through many of the other missing men cases over the years on various other sites. It seems that many of these men seem to go missing late on Friday night/early Saturday morning.

One case from a few years ago in Indy, the man had recently *met* a young woman on OkCupid and had planned to meet up with her for the first time at a bar on a Friday night. She stood him up at the bar and then he went missing later that same night. IIRC, someone here mentioned that they'd found an OkCupid account for Joey.

Thank you! I just checked this. Mine is off but my hubby's is on and he posts pics of our kids (and ALWAYS has a lot of strange follow requests from "women")

You're very welcome. Glad you checked. Gosh, especially if you have kids, yikes!

Based on a little research, it seems Chad is the significant other of the guy Joey is texting with.

I thought it was Joey's cousin that received the gibberish text (Jnhstioj) ? Joe was dining with his cousin, his wife, and friends at Union. That gibberish text is part of the same text conversation that mentions Stacey and Chad. So Joey is calling his cousin a liar ?

I thought it was Joey's cousin that received the gibberish text (Jnhstioj) ? Joe was dining with his cousin, his wife, and friends at Union. That gibberish text is part of the same text conversation that mentions Stacey and Chad. So Joey is calling his cousin a liar ?

No, the text exchange with "Jnhstioj" is not with Joey's cousin. It is with a friend. His cousins never heard back from via text that night after he disappeared.

I've been some talk that "Jnhstioj" could be an attempt to quickly type Johnstown. Look at the iPhone keyboard and you can see with each letter how that could be the case.

Well, FWIW, the dental practice being discussed in that text screen grab is located in Johnstown.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DeeKay