Found Deceased OH - Joey LaBute, 26, Columbus, 4 March 2016 #1

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Under normal circumstances, a family member/friend/police/ officer is able to positively identify a decedent at the scene/hospital via driver's license/visual recognition. I
Can I view a decedent at the Coroner's Office?
does not have a viewing facility. Viewing of a decedent will need to be done at the funeral home

Is every person who dies in Franklin County taken to the Coroner's Office?
No.

• The result of violence or other trauma.
  • Suspicious and unusual in nature or foul play is suspected.
  • Sudden and unexpected, when a person is in apparent good health.
  • Not under the care of a physician.
  • Unlawful or due to criminal neglect.
My relative/loved one is at the Coroner's Office. What should I do now?
A funeral home must be selected as soon as possible tfuneral director, advise them that the deceased is under the coroner's jurisdiction and they will contact our office to make arrangements to pick up your loved one.

Will an autopsy be performed on every decedent on which the Coroner's Office has taken jurisdiction?
Autopsies are routinely perfomed to determine the cause and manner of death on all cases listed above. Autopsies are not routinely performed in cases where the death appears to be from natural causes,

I do not want an autopsy performed on my loved one. What do I need to do?
In situations where the death appears to be the result of natural causes and there is no evidence of trauma or foul play, one can object to an autopsy being performed. ....listed as "Undetermined" on the death certificate. This may be important as far as insurance is concerned ......be an undetected disease process which may have an impact on other family members. Our pathologists are available to speak with you regarding your concern about not having an autopsy performed. Although, whether or not an autopsy is performed is at the discretion of the pathologist.

Who is considered the legal next of kin?

What do I need to do to have my loved one released to the funeral home?
next of kin will need to sign an official body release form. The funeral home will FAX our office a copy and the decedent can then be released.

Will a case of death be determined immediately after the autopsy is completed?
Determining a cause of death requires many components and the autopsy is just one part. Once the autopsy is completed, if there are preliminary findings, the pathologist will be able to share that information with the legal next of kin.

Unlike Zach;
Coroner's reports become public record once the case is completed. Anyone may request a copy of any report.Cases take 6 – 8 weeks from the date of death for completion

Personal property consists of items of value found on or near the decedent. Clothing is generally returned to the family through the funeral home. Valuables are generally items such as jewelry, watches, and important papers. .....

not returned to the family, such as, medications, driver license, and any paraphernalia.

I just looked at the form and it did not ask relationship tho??

http://coroner.franklincountyohio.gov/services/request-report

http://coroner.franklincountyohio.gov/

This is the thought I've had as well.

For context, I'm gay, in my 40s, and live in Columbus. I've heard of Berliner and know it's a cruising spot because I hang out in the bars on the south side where Berliner is located. To my (also gay and 40+) friends, Berliner is a joke. To a 26 year old out gay kid who has no reason to hide, well, he probably doesn't even know it exists. That's supposition, really, I have no facts to back it up, just my feeling from being a pretty active member of the community here. Still, we're here to kick around theories and that's one of them that's occurred to people, I get it.

This is sad no matter who it is, but I admit to harboring a hope that it's not Joey. Still, it's one more young man lost to the water.

I believe the body was found near the Whittier peninsula--former police impound lot. This would be north, and upriver from Berliner.

Also--I thought the early reports pointed to the body being reported as having been seen in the river. Then later said that police were systemically searching the area. Makes me think they believed the body to be there and went looking.

Do ya think LE may have told him something that they just did not release to media??

Perhaps. I don't know if it would be too early for them to have cell phone ping information or info from the dating app he was using that night, but I do think they had some kind of information or clues that led them to the conclusion that something nefarious may have happened.

Coldpizza...please follow through on your earlier post regarding this. This idle speculation about him hooking up has gone too far. No evidence exists to support this and yet it is running rampant on this forum. We've already had one family member on here.

I don't believe the speculation about a hook up is idle, he was definitely using the apps very close to the time of his disappearance. What's irrelevant, imo, is the gender of the people he was speaking with via apps that night.

That said, the alert feature is useful. If you see a post you think needs to be reviewed, click the little triangle to report that. :)

An angle that is so confusing at this point. is the "I am driving". On one level it makes sense that he might not say talk later I am on my way to hook up..

But then if whoever he was with had nefarous intentions, I dont think he would let his vistim answer his cell phone.

So it knda seems like IMO, feels as if we are in the middle with one thought or the other.

I wish there was some way to know more about the liar part?? Do they know or would they and not release be able to know who that dialog was directed at.

Being half submerged, (I cant remember the name) I learned that half submerged , more often than not , is someone being forcefully drowned.

But, the way the cop responded to guns knives turn it all around again.

I hope the results do not result in more questions than it answers....

RE: I don't believe the speculation about a hook up is idle, he was definitely using the apps very close to the time of his disappearance

Me either-- all behavioir has meaning IMO

It is also intersting that in the reports about the guy he had dated "several " times would call 4 times after the byeeeeee comment. It was not like as far as reported that they living together , so the repeadily calling sounded more like was pissed after not being responded to --you know what I mean.

To start calling that often, with no indications, at that point in time that something horrid had occurred, sounds more like a jilted sex partner/ or angry IMO

Or attempting to"appear" concenred , kind like an alibi if that makes sense..

Short North is known to "be gay," but also very artsy. Monthly Gallery Hop draws a wide audience of "hip" folks. Proximity to OSU means also a lot of students. So--while Union is sorta considered a "gay" bar in a "gay" area, it's a pretty mixed crowd. Across the street is Axis--also known as a gay show bar, but the sort of place where straight people might easily go to see some drag. Drug of choice in these places is booze. Gay bashers might go there looking for action--but there are better places to go to bully folks who are different, fewer witnesses. A few years back a local food truck in the area got a lot of notice for refusing service to someone bad-mouthing gays while standing in line.

Good for the Food Truck!!

I don't believe the speculation about a hook up is idle, he was definitely using the apps very close to the time of his disappearance. What's irrelevant, imo, is the gender of the people he was speaking with via apps that night.

Agreed. Leaving a bar to hook up or meet up with someone is something many people in their 20s do, regardless of sexual orientation. No judgement here.

Not particularly any one thing.

For one usually the article would mention Joey like "the remains could be blah blah".

The current of that river is strong. I do t think he'd just be hanging out in one place or area for 25 days.

I think it's someone who floated down the river.

If it is Joey, he may not have been in the water for 25 days. He may have been held and recently killed. Someone being gone for 25 days doesn't mean they have been dead for 25 days. We will need to wait. If it is not, we are back to square one.

Well ... After watching interview with detective - someone asks if there was knife wound or gunshot wound ... He stutters and pauses for a minute and states that he probably shouldn't comment any further . That is your indication that there is def foul play involved! He also mentions there will be an identification late morning tomorrow . It was also reported that the SVU was in that particular area in order to find a missing person.... That part of the river was an area of interest . All the comments he made indicated that it is probably
Joey ...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Where do i find this interview ?

Patrick LaBute's recent post where he referred to Joey in the past tense, and said they would remain focused on finding him (his body).​

Do ya think LE may have told him something that they just did not release to media??

That's your interpretation of what his brother said....Patrick's statement was exactly as you typed it, and then you added (his body) no where in his original statement did Patrick say "his body" leading people to believe it's been confirmed that is Joey they found today.

See there's a small group of us on here, that knew Joey... Some very well... While others may have just been acquaintances... And regardless of the news today we're still praying and holding out hope and trying to keep a very positive thought process.... So when I read your comment, it made me believe that Patrick actually said that... Which made me go search for it, and I've already cried about as much as I can for the day. So please be sensitive with your words and quotations.

That's your interpretation of what his brother said....Patrick's statement was exactly as you typed it, and then you added (his body) no where in his original statement did Patrick say "his body" leading people to believe it's been confirmed that is Joey they found today.

See there's a small group of us on here, that knew Joey... Some very well... While others may have just been acquaintances... And regardless of the news today we're still praying and holding out hope and trying to keep a very positive thought process.... So when I read your comment, it made me believe that Patrick actually said that... Which made me go search for it, and I've already cried about as much as I can for the day. So please be sensitive with your words and quotations.

Pls refer to post 740. I was responding to Meryl, who was letting us know what she found out.

Originally Posted by MerryB
I believe this is Joey. I think he hooked up with someone via the dating app & was more recently dumped in the river. I do not think he's been dead the entire time he's been missing. Unfortunately I believe he was held against his will & then killed more recently. I'm sure the autopsy will yield answers. The weather here in Columbus has been all across the board--today it was in the 50s, but this past weekend it was in the 70s. The river has not been frozen. I also believe that the family had an idea that Joey was most likely dead, based on Patrick LaBute's recent post where he referred to Joey in the past tense, and said they would remain focused on finding him (his body).

regardless of the news today we're still praying and holding out hope

as is everyone here! I cant imagine the emtionial rollarcoaster you have been riding today. I feel for you. It is very confusing emotioally and cognitively as well

I almost wish they did not say anything at all until tomm, but I guess with poice scanners that is an impooislity ....

Where do i find this interview ?

Here ya go
http://www.dispatch.com/content/pages/video.html?video=/videos/2016/03/29/body-found-in-scioto-river.xml&cmpid=share

It was a bummer.........

Hi Tara!

Seriously it doesn't matter if it's gay or straight, do not use Craigslist, Tinder, Grindr or Scruff if you want to live. Social media allows for the 1% of psychopaths to select you as their victim. Don't do it. Finds better ways to meet a date. This is exactly how the smiley face killer CULT has stalked their prey for 20 years. It is continuing to this day. It's like every week a young 20's-30's guy goes missing and is found dead in water. Police are incompetent to know what happened and are quick to rule it an accidental drowning or suicide. It's as if once a body is in the water they refuse to investigate it for a homicide. Medical examiners are also pressured to close the cases as such. It's only when families hire private investigators and get expert medical examiners to do a second autopsy that they are able to find their son was murdered. I've investigated over 200 similar cases now. Kevin Gannon is absolutely correct with what he found years ago. It's still happening. Don't risk your life dating strangers on social media.

Here is the problem with that--- everyone is a stranger! Even the ones who you find at church! No one place is safe. No one place is horrible. Internet dating is HUGE in 2016 and many happy relationships come from it. Every person who has to date at some point is at risk. And I watch enough Dateline to know that married people are at risk with their own partners, too. Its not fair to throw shame on one segment of the population. We truly only know someone as much as they want us to know them- even after many years.

Please point out where in your "terms of service" his quote is in violation.... Because there really seems to be a HUGE double standard in some cases.... Just saying

I wasn't quoting you...

:whiteflag::grouphug:
Let's see what info tomorrow brings, shall we?

Here is the problem with that--- everyone is a stranger! Even the ones who you find at church! No one place is safe. No one place is horrible. Internet dating is HUGE in 2016 and many happy relationships come from it. Every person who has to date at some point is at risk. And I watch enough Dateline to know that married people are at risk with their own partners, too. Its not fair to throw shame on one segment of the population. We truly only know someone as much as they want us to know them- even after many years.

Who is throwing shame on one segment of the population? I'm only pointing out that there are certain dating apps that you need to avoid. For example, if people don't already know Craigslist is too risky no matter what you are using it for. Most of the time you can tell someone is trying to scam you. There's been enough deaths from Craigslist that have been brought to light in the media. The other apps have tracking capabilities apparently. That's not needed. That's a tool for the psychopaths. So try good old fashioned meet a friend of a friend or one of the other dating apps that charge money and you set up a profile and they try to match you up with people.

Regarding his comment of "I'm driving"', chances are he was already with the stranger/abducter. It's not clear if he was forced to say it or they haven't scared him yet. At some point he quickly learned he was with the wrong person. Typically when the victims are abducted they confiscate the phone and pull the SIM card so the phones cannot be used or tracked. Calls to straight to VM.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member