Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
ok fine whatever, I am assuming the bar was successful, it was busy

surveillance video obtained from the businesses (plural?)in the area Joey was last seen is very low quality- all businesses in that area have crap&y survellance??

why have them if they are the pitts. I bet your insurance goes down if you have them

These kinda statements are made in a lot of cases like this. They are cheap nowdays.

if there useless what is the point in terms of business owners??

http://www.nbcnews.com/feature/missing-in-america/search-enters-fourth-week-missing-columbus-man-joseph-labute-n546816

RE:So there are "few clues to go on" according to the NBC story, but there also are no billboards, no reward for information offered, no P.I. involved, no further search parties, no FB page, possibly no other surveillance tapes checked...I'm sure I'm leaving out some other "No's" that don't come to mind right now...LE is either throwing up one hell of a smokescreen or things just aren't making sense at all

I dont know in drugs or gangs or murders maybe I understand all this cop silence. It has been like that in a lot of these. If your looking for something, your keys, it helps to mention it to someone.

I do not understand in missing persons , when one is looking for something not letting the most amount of peopple you can know what you know . It seems counter productive, in missing persons cases IMO

As far as surveillance cameras go, I've been trying to figure the same thing out. I've see home security cameras which give a clear picture- even in pitch black....and they aren't too costly. I don't understand why a business which has potential to be robbed or involved in some type of a crime, wouldn't invest in decent cameras!

Unfortunately, based on the sheer probability, Joey LaBute and Brian Shaffer are dead. They were very young, and do not fit the profile of those who voluntarily go missing. The more time that passes, the less likely a body will be recovered. Brian's will probably never be found. Joey's - still possible. I just really hope the families have the closure they need.

I agree. And it sounds cold ( I became aware that I felt this way during Zach) that if it happened to me , all this "hope" stuff would fade after about two weeks. Sometimes reality is the pitts but it is that. Brian well....but I think quietly we all know Joey too, its the why how that drives us mad. I would actually, as I have learend about Brian, would go more "chose" to vanish than Joey. From the third day I felt as if Zach was suicide and still do, just mo.

In this day and age compared to 30 years ago, the notion that someone can chose to vanish is so far less a reality than it was back then. He is young. Zach was young. They could not even "stay" offline if they wanted to vanish. Its in their blood (internet). They cant comprehend living without FB twitter twatter instant slow apps gps whatever; even if they tried.

For them, its identical to a car- they cant comprehend living without "it". It would be a pretty sharp person to know how to successfully vanish if they wanted to in these days. For Brian maybe, a lot technically has happened in the last decade.

It would translate having "cash" for a decade! These kids are not in that position. This, like Zach ,is going to have a sad or no ending.............

Sorry, IMO that is just the reality - bad things happen in living...

Now, what I do finding baffling, for me, (actually these are the only two missing cases I have followed) I am finding different "emotions" between Zach and Joey, and that is confusing to me?

And some of it has to do with the "tone" of the threads! I think I feel validated, in that in this case there are a lot of folks who are feeling frustrated. In Zachs case the general tone was LE knows what they are doing. Not exactly a notion I buy these days. I watch a lot of news!!

I agree, CARIIS. The hardest part is not being able to find a body to bring closure for friends and family. It's very sad.

As far as surveillance cameras go, I've been trying to figure the same thing out. I've see home security cameras which give a clear picture- even in pitch black....and they aren't too costly. I don't understand why a business which has potential to be robbed or involved in some type of a crime, wouldn't invest in decent cameras!

Hi Tigger

Me either! Give me a break

[h=1]$59.99 D-Link DCS-5009L Pan & Tilt Wi-Fi Camera[/h]

Last year, the Columbus police missing persons unit handled more than 4,500 cases,

It is a good piece !!

http://www.columbusmonthly.com/content/stories/2014/09/when-missing-persons-cases-go-cold.html

Hi CARIIS :wave:

Thanks for that ultra interesting link...wow :thud:

Just had to look 2013 city census says:

Columbus = 822553 people (401353 men 48.8% / 421209 women 51.2%)

Wiki says:
15th largest in US
3rd largest city in Ohio behind Cleveland & Cinnci
The metropolitan statusical area includes 10 counties...

--------------------------------

Where the **** is Joey?!?

:candle:

Hi CARIIS :wave:

Thanks for that ultra interesting link...wow :thud:

Just had to look 2013 city census says:

Columbus = 822553 people (401353 men 48.8% / 421209 women 51.2%)

Wiki says:
15th largest in US
3rd largest city in Ohio behind Cleveland & Cinnci
The metropolitan statusical area includes 10 counties...

--------------------------------

Where the **** is Joey?!?

:candle:

Good Lord. You guys opened my eyes up to trafficking. I watched an amazing documentary with that Lisa Ling or whatever a year ago, but there is something very evil going on . Ans its sad and wierd - its different when men go missing (as opposed to woman) -- casue you quitely have an "answer", and most of the time, that sadly turns out to be the case - "rape".

Like I said this is only the second one I have followed and there is just a oddity to males vanishing, it sounds sexist, like I am not giving woman "power". It is not about that. Rape, as awful as it is, does address a "why".

Does this make sense to anyone? Am I being a "bad" person? A dumb person? Completly off track? Riducleous? A nut?

And then at the same time- it reverses. Come on cops- there are woman alcohlics out there in life. Physicaaly females handle alcohol worse than males in terms of body wight processing it. How is it, that all these "men" are getting so drunk all over the place , and walking to their deaths in water.

Trust me here, in my day I drank!! Opps thats water not concrete, there is something else going on, and you guys have given me a reality check.

Creeps the heck out of me, but I think trafficking is way worse than we think. What is nausating about this "thing" is why doesnt that Schwanagger guy shut it down. Would you want your "name" on something that apparently is widely known about . That is disgusting IMO.

If that thing is so bad about this dont do it or have it or host it.Its kinda like that Ford Pinto that had the tendency to blow up and burn people to death. Cease .

Go play with your muscles in another forum if this "event" results in this type of stuff. Enough already.

Now, I do remain, I have tried to "correct" this, by searching, baffled -- I do not get the "connection", and apparently there is one, with body building and stealing homosapians.

I come up totally blank.............

Something I know to be a fact, is one of the owners of said establishment, use to be able to pull up the camera feeds to his computer or iPad at home and if he saw something he didn't like he'd call that bar, this is especially true when they had the Union in Cleveland and he lived in Columbus. However, in my opinion I don't feel that system has been updated at all since the bar opened. My point is simply if this camera system is such "low quality" how is the owner of this bar able to remotely view the activity inside the bar and report if he was not please with whatever he was witnessing... But CPD can't find a group of people in a crowded bar? I don't believe it for a second! JMO

How weird, I only had 3- and it says I'm allowed up to 5?? Anyways, I think I fixed it now.....hopefully

Good information! Lets just say I'll go along with unions footage being "too grainy"- I can't believe that not one other video camera in the area has good quality video....especially with what a populated area it is...with many new businesses.

If you look at the FB page for the Union Cafe, you'll see a post dated 3/12 from somebody who had a experience with a friend's phone being stolen while they were singlng Karaoke. This person asked the bartender to check the surveillance videos and was told " it was so bad they wouldn't be able to make out any faces or anything." So, it seems probable that what was said about "poor quality, grainy tapes" is correct. And that the Union knew that their system was crappy.

The FB poster brought this up in regards to Joey, that a missing phone doesn't compare in severity to a missing person, and it is distressing that the so-called surveillance tapes cannot be used for their intended purpose. I think CARIIUS hit the nail on the head by saying the insurance rate is probably lowered by having these cameras...regardless of if they work or not.

I'm still really bothered by the fact that either the systems of the other businesses in the area were either equally as crappy, or have not been reviewed, or...???? Gah.

It does make me think about all the dumb things I did as a 20-something, and not for the first time, realize that it's a miracle I didn't end up on the "missing" list myself.

If you look at the FB page for the Union Cafe, you'll see a post dated 3/12 from somebody who had a experience with a friend's phone being stolen while they were singlng Karaoke. This person asked the bartender to check the surveillance videos and was told " it was so bad they wouldn't be able to make out any faces or anything." So, it seems probable that what was said about "poor quality, grainy tapes" is correct. And that the Union knew that their system was crappy.

The FB poster brought this up in regards to Joey, that a missing phone doesn't compare in severity to a missing person, and it is distressing that the so-called surveillance tapes cannot be used for their intended purpose. I think CARIIUS hit the nail on the head by saying the insurance rate is probably lowered by having these cameras...regardless of if they work or not.

I'm still really bothered by the fact that either the systems of the other businesses in the area were either equally as crappy, or have not been reviewed, or...???? Gah.

It does make me think about all the dumb things I did as a 20-something, and not for the first time, realize that it's a miracle I didn't end up on the "missing" list myself.

OK time for levity break.

I hope they were not singing :

Pick Up The Phone by Falling In Reverse!!!!

Never heard it, but I thought, oh my god, what if they were singing a song about a phone!!

And I thought this title is perfect!!

RE:
I'm still really bothered by the fact that either the systems of the other businesses in the area were either equally as crappy, or have not been reviewed, or...???? Gah

Me too. I am starting to think Le might have thought heck its a gay guy he probably went home with someone and will show up, and did not really do any checking and are now claiming video did not help.

All bussiness in that area have cameras that dont "see". Sorry, does not work for me- that is just dumb IMO

And now I understand why you all were relating this to Brian-you have to kidding, another human being that just truly vanishes. My sense from some of you locals on this thread that its a pretty busy area on the weekend.

Some questions: is it beleivable to you that either none of the other businesses in that area have no cameras or blind ones. What kind of retail is round the actual bar.

Trying to get a sense of the type of club it is.

At that time of night , is it a setting where there would be alot of folks hanging on the sidewalks?

What is the drug of choice in that area for that age group?

Is that bar known to make "good" drinks.In my day we knew where you got a free pour!!

Gay friendly is term used here - is it a "crusiy" gay "area". Are lots of other bars or stores in that area gay oriented?

Is it blatent gay area - guys or girls holding hands in public etc. I am going toward that muscle thing, and homphobics doing that "lets go mess up some f## "angle.

I am sorry ,yes I am assuming there might be some rampent homophobia in a setting where it is flexing muscles for others and stealing human beings, who knows , I may be wrong but ....

Is it a liberal city, as it relates in general to hate crimes, are hate crimes an issue?

Anyone know what his relationship history was/ Long term lover in past? Bitter breakup? While out, was he arragant? (piss off someone).

In general what was his drinking patterns - was he a "party" person?

Is that club or area kinda known for drinks being laced?

History of other people missing directly from that bar or area?

I would think most of us would agree that calling someone a liar is indicative of some kind of conflict occuring around that time. Anyone know exactly who that directed to? Their relationship?

DId he talk to any friends about "some" guy hitting on him that he had no attraction to? Wanted that guy to bug off?

Was it wild in there that night - ie were bouncers busy?!

There are bars that are known to be pickup bars - was this bar one of them - a lot of crusing?

Mix of gay to heterosexual? Like more gay or more hetersexual? Lesbian mix?

Drug use basically tolerated in setting?

Known for drugs?

A lot of dealing in the area??

Police involvement in area?

Does one feel "safe" in area?

The other largest human trafficking event in our country is the Superbowl. Well documented. They aren't shutting it down either.

If I had the money and the ability to do it all again, I would hire a PI immediately. I think the outcome would have been different in my mother's case if we had done that. We may have at least found her body. And let's face it, once this much time has gone by that's what you are looking for.

Joey deserves to be found. His family deserves closure no matter how painful. It's the least that can happen. If he were my kid and the CPD could not or would not give me a really good reason as to why I shouldn't hire a PI, I would hire a PI. Anything to give me peace. You have no idea what kind of hell this is until you go through it. Cops are overworked. The more eyes on something, the better chance you have.

Tid Bits

I have something off here. In this report (also interview with guy who with him may have been posted) But if you stop the inverview when they go tight on his cell there is moom on the 6th. So does that mean we know his cell phone was working? Can they ping that text, its almost 12 hours later. Seems like that means something, no

http://www.10tv.com/content/sections/video/index.html?video=/videos/2016/03/08/joey-labute.xml

The bar manager, now that we know how cr#PPY the video is first attempt was all that about how busy it was. He never mentioned the system was a joke. How could he think that that was not going to come out??

His father said the last time they spoke, about a week before his disappearance, his son was talking about going back to school.
“He made the point that, well, he never does anything, he’s got all this free time on his hands, he might as well do something, right?” Joe LaBute said.

http://nbc4i.com/2016/03/11/we-love...ng-almost-a-week-since-missing-man-last-seen/

Among items that police instructed volunteers to look for were a wallet, cellphone and articles of clothing that matched what LaBute was last seen wearing — an off-white flannel shirt with reddish stripes, greyish undershirt and light-colored jeans. They were instructed to notify police of any discoveries.

http://www.dispatch.com/content/stories/local/2016/03/12/volunteers-seek-clues-in-mans-disappearance.html

He was last seen wearing a brownish/blue flannel shirt with a blue t-shirt underneath and blue jeans.

http://www.10tv.com/content/stories/2016/03/07/columbus-ohio-family-searching-for-man-who-disappeared-friday-in-columbus.html

Not even close--

Friend Matt interview:

http://www.10tv.com/content/stories...9166608786495_979674422069047#f3a2b40420f9ddc

Taken that night
https://twitter.com/plabute24

CdNTV8BUUAEJtua.jpg

I just got a 10tv news alert saying a body was found in the Scioto river.

I was just coming here about the body found in the Scioto River. Even if it isn't him, it's somebody's family member.

Entered zip code of bar 43215

The complex he left his car at has a walk score of 56. Somewhat walkable. measures pedestrian friendliness (kinda creepy)

https://www.redfin.com/how-walk-score-works

https://www.walkscore.com/methodology.shtml

Crime rating 43215:

I wonder what the number would be when homosapian theives are swarming the streets

7(100 is safest)

Safer than 7% of
the cities
in the US.

With a crime rate of 49 per one thousand residents, Columbus has one of the highest crime rates in America compared to all communities of all sizes - from the smallest towns to the very largest cities. One's chance of becoming a victim of either violent or property crime here is one in 20. Within Ohio, more than 95% of the communities have a lower crime rate than Columbus......

.....for Columbus, we found that the violent crime rate is one of the highest in the nation, across communities of all sizes (both large and small). Violent offenses tracked included rape, murder and non-negligent manslaughter, armed robbery, and aggravated assault, including assault with a deadly weapon. According to Neighborhood scout's analysis of FBI reported crime data, your chance of becoming a victim of one of these crimes in Columbus is one in 182.

........Columbus experiences one of the higher murder rates in the nation when compared with cities and towns for all sizes of population, from the largest to the smallest.

Importantly, we found that Columbus has one of the highest rates of motor vehicle theft in the nation .....your chance of getting your car stolen if you live in Columbus is one in 2

http://www.neighborhoodscout.com/oh/columbus/crime/

http://www.apartmentfinder.com/Ohio/Columbus-Apartments/Thurber-Gate-Apartments

Regardless of the cameras being useless, when I first heard 14 cameras I thought good lord............Does not look like big a club!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joe Cool wannabe