Found Safe OH - Katarina Bitterman, 17, Parma, 4 March 2017 *Arrest*

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
So happy that Katarina has been found and is safe. As a Cleveland resident who works in the Parma area, I have been avidly following this story. One thing that has stuck with me is the nap. She told her parents that she was going to take a nap and then work on her school project. This was a smart way to buy herself an hour or two that she could guarantee her parents probably wouldn't call. This would allow her to sneak out to meet someone that she probably wasn't supposed to meet. Of course her phone has to stay at home in case her parents are tracking it and she is supposed to be sleeping. This, plus the fact that she left the tv on and the dogs outside, makes me think that she only expected to be gone a short time...maybe to meet up at the park or for coffee. I think the person she was supposed to meet picked her up and took her out of state against her will. People that know her said she was a responsible girl that was excited about her cosmetology project, so I don't think she went willingly. Whatever the reason, very relieved she is safe.

Thanks for the thoughts. It totally make sense!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Parma to Salem is over a 10 hour drive. Surely they had to stop for gas and/or bathroom breaks. I'm sure she wasn't held against her will.

Hopefully we will find out more soon.

Parma to Salem is over a 10 hour drive. Surely they had to stop for gas and/or bathroom breaks. I'm sure she wasn't held against her will.

Hopefully we will find out more soon.

Against her will does not mean she has to fight, crying or scream. Could be just something like I am not sure if I want to go; I don't think is a good ideal; if she only intend to go for a couple of days and end up 7 days, that is again her will to me. Whether or not she decide to flee or concat her parents during the journey has no direct indication if this is against her will or not.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I asked the mods once what the difference was, and was told there really wasn't any difference; sometimes, the mod who labels it uses the words LE uses when announcing the person is found. There's really no distinction between Websleuth's found safe or alive titles.

AH! Thank you! It makes sense that they use the same language that LE / MSM uses.

I've always wondered... haha

I guess it depends on who's speaking. My hubby is ex-LE. Years ago, his department used "unharmed" to describe someone who wasn't physically injured (or sexually assaulted). May be emotionally traumatized, sure.

"Safe" was the term they used to convey that the person was no longer under the threat of injury, but may have, in fact, suffered physical injuries or assault.

Things certainly may have changed since his days with the department. JMO

Extremely helpful to know. :)

I've been reviewing cases in Parma Court dockets to see if there's any defendants with a MA address. They have a link to review cases that are in court today. It should appear here since he's not a minor but it won't disclose who is involved. I don't have time to review all the cases but here's a link: http://www.parmamunicourt.org/todaysdocket.asp?pageId=31

I've been reviewing cases in Parma Court dockets to see if there's any defendants with a MA address. They have a link to review cases that are in court today. It should appear here since he's not a minor but it won't disclose who is involved. I don't have time to review all the cases but here's a link: http://www.parmamunicourt.org/todaysdocket.asp?pageId=31

I looked at any that said arraignment and didn't find any with a MA address. Wonder if he was actually from Ohio and drove to this house in MA? I need to go review the info that was stated.

Now this is interesting. My initial reaction is this is the right thing to do in many of these cases, but I am really looking forward to other posters input in order for me to fully form a solid opinion.

Absolutely agreed. And I'm not so sure that he young man's chargers might need to be dropped. I was 17 once.

Now this is interesting. My initial reaction is this is the right thing to do in many of these cases, but I am really looking forward to other posters input in order for me to fully form a solid opinion.
Absolutely right to charge her. She left willingly and had to reasonably expect the outcome of such a disappearance.

She could have left a note or called her parents to say she was ok.

Wasted time, money, risk to searchers.

Now I'm not saying they should charge every run away, but in this case, yes. Also, doesn't it seem her parents suspected? Calling her two hours after leaving, sending someone to check the house, immediately reporting her missing, calling off the vigil.

And....the poor dogs. Left outside. What if her parents hadn't called and came home.

JMO

Sent from my SM-G928T using Tapatalk

Oh, well there you go. I rarely give anyone the benefit of the doubt on here, and when I do, I seem to always be wrong...
I still can't make any sense of this. If she went willingly, as stated in this article, why did she not take anything with her??? So bizarre JMO

I still can't make any sense of this. If she went willingly, as stated in this article, why did she not take anything with her??? So bizarre JMO

When we are 17 we don't need anything but love. I am so thankful I am not a teenager anymore!!!!!

Absolutely right to charge her. She left willingly and had to reasonably expect the outcome of such a disappearance.

She could have left a note or called her parents to say she was ok.

Wasted time, money, risk to searchers.

Now I'm not saying they should charge every run away, but in this case, yes. Also, doesn't it seem her parents suspected? Calling her two hours after leaving, sending someone to check the house, immediately reporting her missing, calling off the vigil.

And....the poor dogs. Left outside. What if her parents hadn't called and came home.

JMO

Sent from my SM-G928T using Tapatalk

But it's not illegal to not tell someone something. If I want to walk away from my life, I have the right to do that. If my family calls the police and there is a search for me, that is not something I wanted or initiated. Unless she specifically did something to indicate foul play, I can't see how what she did is illegal.

When we are 17 we don't need anything but love. I am so thankful I am not a teenager anymore!!!!!

Haha I too am incredibly thankful. I honestly was hoping that she had been taken against her will, as awful as that may sound. Her poor boyfriend, her poor parents...and then to know that she did it willfully. I mean I'm sure that they thought she was dead. I am very curious what happened though...sounds like she was excited for her school project, clearly there were no issues with the boyfriend that HE knew about...I wonder how her home life is..and if she was using any drugs...what a mess.

In all honesty I am torn between being furious at her AND feeling bad/sympathizing somehow with her. It's a very odd feeling. This whole case has been odd from the start.

But it's not illegal to not tell someone something. If I want to walk away from my life, I have the right to do that. If my family calls the police and there is a search for me, that is not something I wanted or initiated. Unless she specifically did something to indicate foul play, I can't see how what she did is illegal.

I believe that as a minor, the rules are different. IMO

2917.31 Inducing panic.

(A) No person shall cause the evacuation of any public place, or otherwise cause serious public inconvenience or alarm, by doing any of the following:

(1) Initiating or circulating a report or warning of an alleged or impending fire, explosion, crime, or other catastrophe, knowing that such report or warning is false;

(2) Threatening to commit any offense of violence;

(3) Committing any offense, with reckless disregard of the likelihood that its commission will cause serious public inconvenience or alarm.

So, is it illegal to runaway at 17? If so, then she committed an offense (running away) that caused public inconvenience.

Hmmm. After some research: "In most jurisdictions it is not a crime to runaway from home, except in 9 states ( Georgia, Idaho, Kentucky, Nebraska, South Carolina, Texas, Utah, West Virginia, Wyoming). In these jurisdictions it is considered a “status offense”, which means it is against the law only when someone under 18 years old does it."

Granted the above was written in 2005 but I believe it is still the case.

http://www.americanbar.org/content/..._practice_area_e_newsletter_home/runaway.html

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Viki Cowan
Back