Found Safe OH - Katarina Bitterman, 17, Parma, 4 March 2017 *Arrest*

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Bringkathome/OC, thanks for everything.

I don't like the vibes I'm picking up about this other guy. Some of how this played out makes me worry that there could have been a power imbalance in this relationship. Trying to leave a note that just says "GONE" is almost more antagonistic and frightening than leaving no note at all. It's like a taunt. And then it seems like Kat asserted herself a bit in trying to soften that taunt, and not make her parents worry as much (though she still had to know they would worry.) It makes me uncomfortable to combine all that with the fact that SHE was the one who had to leave all her family and friends. Sometimes in relationships where there is a power imbalance, one party wants to possess the other, and can try to cut the other person off from other sources of support. All anyone kept saying before was how out of her character something like this would be. Maybe this was voluntary on her part, but with some manipulation/undue influence. I know well-educated savvy grown women who have found themselves in that type of relationship, so it is certainly not impossible for a teen either.

I hope someone - the state, her parents - is able to get her some therapy to help get to the bottom of how this all played out. I may be totally off base, but I might not. I know that her friends might feel like they've been put through this whole crazy roller coaster of fear and sadness, and betrayal, etc. But this could have been a more dangerous situation than Kat even realized. When she has had time to process this, she may have some regrets about the effect her actions had on others, and she may need some friends who are willing to extend some forgiveness and help her put her life back together.

Couldn't have said it better myself.

The thing is that it could have been all "gucci" with this guy. Maybe she does have a special connection with this guy and he would never hurt her. But you DON'T put yourself in that vulnerable of a position no matter how much you trust a guy or how much you want to hurt your parents. Many relationships go sour 3, 6, 10 months later.

This is exactly how many girls get tricked into human trafficking. Or sold into prostitution after they see that no one is going to ever find them.

I can't currently because of my age, as the minimum is 19, and being in high school, you can probably tell I don't fall into that category. Anyways, thank you so much! I promise I'll be back when I can. The only reason I haven't been here before is because I didn't hear of this site until I was looking up details in Kat's case. Now that I see what you're about, I'll definitely return. As of now, I'm interested in becoming either a pediatrician or forensic scientist, and enrolled in the medical program for next year. I'm dependent on the insight this program will give me before making a final career path. I wish you well until I see you again! -OC

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hold up, hold up! You have to be 19 years old to have a WS account? I thought anyone could sleuth and comment on cases. Are you sure the minimum isn't just for being a verified insider?

Most of us aren't verified insiders. We only encouraged you to be a VI because you had vital information close to the case that we could only take as factual if you were vetted properly.

I hope you stick around as just a regular old user like the rest of us and contribute to cases. You're a valuable resource being the same age to many victims here.

If not, so long my friend. You've been a pleasure sleuthing with. :tyou:

PS - We all have that ONE case that brought us to WS and now we can't leave even if we try ;)

i agree with you...however...once you appeal to the media and the public for help, imo you owe it to them to give them a sense of closure .especially since they knew from the get go that she left voluntarily, but the media and locals that were searching and sharing weren't privy.

Bbm- i sort of figured that when they cancelled the vigil. As a parent, i would not have cancelled a vigil for my missing daughter no matter what..unless...i knew something which they did know it was voluntary !!

Seeing the line that "the parents don't want anything to do with the media" just land wrong for me.

Jmo. Again, i'm glad they are being charged. It's a lesson to them and all that see their story. too many people truly need those resources in order to survive and to waste them on hormonal, irresponsible teens chafs my wheat [emoji6]

bbm- lol -- agree !!!

Hold up, hold up! You have to be 19 years old to have a WS account? I thought anyone could sleuth and comment on cases. Are you sure the minimum isn't just for being a verified insider?

(Snipped by me)

I've been wondering the same thing, but you promoted me to actually look it up! Lol.

2. AGE REQUIREMENT

By using the Site, you warrant and promise that you are at least eighteen (18) years of age.
http://www.websleuths.com/forums/showthread.php?65794-Terms-of-Service-Long-Detailed-Version

I've been following this but I have to say I'm honestly torn on how I feel about charges for this girl.

Last week my oldest daughter at home came to tell me her and a friend were walking home the night before and her friend's brother locked him out so she told him he could stay here (they got here after I'd gone to bed, so she wanted to make sure I knew there was an extra person here that morning). I really thought nothing of it, because we sort of have an open door policy for our kid's friends. Later that day I came home to a police car parked outside my house. The officer was at my front door. After a brief conversation I learned, the friend in question was reported missing the night prior (the brother didn't admit he locked him out) and the friend had no idea he was all over local social media that day, with every cop in town looking for him. The way they located our house, was due to a mutual friend of theirs giving the local PD my daughter's cell, as a possible person who may know where he was, and they pinged her phone to our address.

When I told him what the officer told me, he was genuinely shocked and embarrassed. When the officer also read him the riot act about how worried his mom was, he looked like he was about to start bawling. He had no clue he'd been reported missing and that his pic was posted all over twitter and FB and then shared a bazillion times by all the local teens.

So... when I think of Katarina, I can't help but think of this kid. She made a bad decision & didn't bother to contact her parents but I do have to wonder if she was like this other kid, and didn't realize how many resources would go into locating her, and/or how many people stopped what they were doing to track her down. I guess I'm just on the fence, now that my own home and my family has seen this sort of thing from the other side.

moo... fwiw

I've been following this but I have to say I'm honestly torn on how I feel about charges for this girl.

Last week my oldest daughter at home came to tell me her and a friend were walking home the night before and her friend's brother locked him out so she told him he could stay here (they got here after I'd gone to bed, so she wanted to make sure I knew there was an extra person here that morning). I really thought nothing of it, because we sort of have an open door policy for our kid's friends. Later that day I came home to a police car parked outside my house. The officer was at my front door. After a brief conversation I learned, the friend in question was reported missing the night prior (the brother didn't admit he locked him out) and the friend had no idea he was all over local social media that day, with every cop in town looking for him. The way they located our house, was due to a mutual friend of theirs giving the local PD my daughter's cell, as a possible person who may know where he was, and they pinged her phone to our address.

When I told him what the officer told me, he was genuinely shocked and embarrassed. When the officer also read him the riot act about how worried his mom was, he looked like he was about to start bawling. He had no clue he'd been reported missing and that his pic was posted all over twitter and FB and then shared a bazillion times by all the local teens.

So... when I think of Katarina, I can't help but think of this kid. She made a bad decision & didn't bother to contact her parents but I do have to wonder if she was like this other kid, and didn't realize how many resources would go into locating her, and/or how many people stopped what they were doing to track her down. I guess I'm just on the fence, now that my own home and my family has seen this sort of thing from the other side.

moo... fwiw

I'm sorry but why couldn't this kid text his parents to tell them his brother locked him out and he was staying at your House?

At least his wasn't a run away situation involving police from different states, FBI etc. I'm not sure why they had to ping your daughter instead of just pinging him or his family never tried to call him? This story feels like it's missing something on the boys end

Most of us aren't verified insiders. We only encouraged you to be a VI because you had vital information close to the case that we could only take as factual if you were vetted properly.

I hope you stick around as just a regular old user like the rest of us and contribute to cases. You're a valuable resource being the same age to many victims here.

If not, so long my friend. You've been a pleasure sleuthing with. :tyou:

PS - We all have that ONE case that brought us to WS and now we can't leave even if we try ;)

I was told the minimum is 19:/ Maybe I'll still stay, though.

I'm sorry but why couldn't this kid text his parents to tell them his brother locked him out and he was staying at your House?

At least his wasn't a run away situation involving police from different states, FBI etc. I'm not sure why they had to ping your daughter instead of just pinging him or his family never tried to call him? This story feels like it's missing something on the boys end

As it turned out, there is a lot missing - that I was unaware of at the time. Regardless, the point holds true that some kids just make really bad choices and have ZERO idea how it will affect those who love them, and even total strangers (like us here).

http://www.cleveland.com/parma/index.ssf/2017/03/massachusetts_mother_son_charg.html

More and more twists. The 19 year old, Michael Julien, AND his mother, 43 year old Renee Hanson, both played a part in hiding the girl. Today, they were both indicted. Renee Hanson picked Katarina up after her parents had left for the weekend. Michael is currently in custody and will face an Ohio Grand Jury. Renee is currently not in custody. Also, the FBI was able to figure out that Bitterman was in the home when she messaged her online gaming friend explaining she was okay. They then traced is back to the house. Kat's been back in school since Thursday, going to her cosmetology class, but didn't come for the whole day until Friday. She's been staying around her brother most of the time, and students and staff are treating it as nothing happened, which is good for her. I can't imagine how she must feel.

The article was updated today. I didn't see the original but the language makes it seem like his mom, Renee Hanson, is on the run...

Michael H. Julien and Renee M. Hanson are both charged with inducing panic, obstructing justice and interference with custody in Cuyahoga County Common Pleas Court, Parma police spokesman Capt. Kevin Riley said in a news release.

Julien is currently in a Essex County, Massachusetts jail, while Hanson is still at-large, Riley said.

The charges were filed after Parma police, alongside Cleveland and Boston FBI agents, determined that Julien and Hanson plotted to bring the 17-year-old Parma girl back to their Salem house to live with them, Riley said. Hanson is accused of driving alone on March 4 from Salem to Parma to pick up the girl after her parents had left their Augustine Drive house.
http://www.cleveland.com/parma/index.ssf/2017/03/massachusetts_mother_son_charg.html

BBM

hopefully the girl will learn a big lesson from this. I can't imagine what she was thinking on that 10 hr drive with that women. And no cellphone to bring along?? Good thing her boyfriend break up with her.

Shaking my head.....

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

So was it the mother who wrote that note then? That would be SO bizarre! I am glad she is home safe and back in school.

I wonder how bad Katarina's home life was that she thought this would be a better alternative? Isn't that the elephant in the room? This is all very strange. Was she being groomed?

Smh

JMO

Sent from my SM-G928T using Tapatalk

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member