Found Safe OH - Katarina Bitterman, 17, Parma, 4 March 2017 *Arrest*

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
I feel cellphone is the way her parents to track and "control" her. And she just don't want to face the choice whether to pick up the phone when parents called or texted, so she left the phone behind, intentionally. Maybe she really wants a cut off with her family so she didn't bring any clothes with her-- she wants a fresh start. Anyway I feel this is an immature girl who might to want to use her beauty and youth as power to get what she wants. JMO I am happy for her parents as she was safe. She will be 18 next year so I'd say let her be out and wild for a while, once she and the boy have a fight/argue, it is time for parents to step in. She is in MA because she feels embarrassed to come back to home town to face school friends and families, neighbors.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

By the time I was 19, I had two boys, was putting myself through college, had an apartment by myself, and all that type of stuff. So I agree that 17-19 is different for everyone based on their maturity.
I'd still like to think that they would've at least had an inkling that running away like that would cause panic.
She wasn't gone for one day.
Maybe there's more to the story that we don't know yet though.

Ha I deflect to the "I'm new to this" on posting - sorry for long story! I'll work on paragraphs for viewing ease :)

:welcome: and thank you for your insight. I believe you're absolutely right... I would be extremely hurt if I spent a day or days participating in ground searches for this girl. But at the end of the day, it's what we ALL were hoping, that she did leave intentionally and was safe. I don't think anyone hoped she met foul play.

It's the best outcome this case could have had. Although, that doesn't come without some hurt and trauma for those searching for her.

I hope you stay around and help with some other cases!

PS - Using paragraphs for long posts is much easier on the eyes. I went crosseyed and started to get a headache reading your post haha. :)

The vital detail that I may now share is a note WAS left. The cosmetology competition I mentioned previously was a week ago from today, Monday 3/6. Her parents came and spoke at the event, since their daughter was deeply involved. They gave that extra detail in the case that outsiders had no idea of. I can say the school staff and students both knew about this. The note itself even had a mystery to it. Kristina Bitterman claimed the note was left in her room and read "GONE but safe". The strange part is this; the "GONE" was written in, at the time, an unknown handwriting, while the "but safe" was Katarina's. It's now been confirmed that the person who took part in writing this note was indeed the 19 year-old man. Going to other aspects, Kat's boyfriend of 2 years is more devastated than he is angered. He also announced he's "disappointed but feels he has to break up with her", which is completely understandable. Katarina and the 19 year-old man are currently being held in Salem under the charge of inducing panic just so they can be held. Her family is with her and doesn't want any part of the media anymore. Back at school, I've seen nothing but disappointment, annoyance, and anger overall. Hearing many of my classmates today, they're upset with her for doing such a thing, but also confused as to why. None of them knew anything about this. If there are further charges to come for both people involved, they will come in Ohio and Massachusetts respectively. Personally I'm disappointed in the outcome, but glad she's safe and okay. I'm glad we received closure in this case that didn't result in a body. I'd like to thank everyone on here for all your help and theories, and I'll definitely be back in a few years. -OC

The vital detail that I may now share is a note WAS left. The cosmetology competition I mentioned previously was a week ago from today, Monday 3/6. Her parents came and spoke at the event, since their daughter was deeply involved. They gave that extra detail in the case that outsiders had no idea of. I can say the school staff and students both knew about this. The note itself even had a mystery to it. Kristina Bitterman claimed the note was left in her room and read "GONE but safe". The strange part is this; the "GONE" was written in, at the time, an unknown handwriting, while the "but safe" was Katarina's. It's now been confirmed that the person who took part in writing this note was indeed the 19 year-old man. Going to other aspects, Kat's boyfriend of 2 years is more devastated than he is angered. He also announced he's "disappointed but feels he has to break up with her", which is completely understandable. Katarina and the 19 year-old man are currently being held in Salem under the charge of inducing panic just so they can be held. Her family is with her and doesn't want any part of the media anymore. Back at school, I've seen nothing but disappointment, annoyance, and anger overall. Hearing many of my classmates today, they're upset with her for doing such a thing, but also confused as to why. None of them knew anything about this. If there are further charges to come for both people involved, they will come in Ohio and Massachusetts respectively. Personally I'm disappointed in the outcome, but glad she's safe and okay. I'm glad we received closure in this case that didn't result in a body. I'd like to thank everyone on here for all your help and theories, and I'll definitely be back in a few years. -OC

You are incredibly intelligent- which I believe you know. If you are willing to stick around you could be of great use as you have insight into the development and usage of social media as used by teens in real time. You also have now had a real first hand experience of, all is not what it always seems. I want to hear what you become when you grow up!!

Hey!
Hope all is well buddy!
Please don't forget about us here, we'd love to have you on other Ohio cases ( pun intended lol!) And any cases!
You did great and where a huge help!

Why couldn't she just wait a few months, then she could do whatever she wants with this guy. Now she will probably never see him again.

You are incredibly intelligent- which I believe you know. If you are willing to stick around you could be of great use as you have insight into the development and usage of social media as used by teens in real time. You also have now had a real first hand experience of, all is not what it always seems. I want to hear what you become when you grow up!!

I can't currently because of my age, as the minimum is 19, and being in high school, you can probably tell I don't fall into that category. Anyways, thank you so much! I promise I'll be back when I can. The only reason I haven't been here before is because I didn't hear of this site until I was looking up details in Kat's case. Now that I see what you're about, I'll definitely return. As of now, I'm interested in becoming either a pediatrician or forensic scientist, and enrolled in the medical program for next year. I'm dependent on the insight this program will give me before making a final career path. I wish you well until I see you again! -OC

Hey!
Hope all is well buddy!
Please don't forget about us here, we'd love to have you on other Ohio cases ( pun intended lol!) And any cases!
You did great and where a huge help!

You guys have been a pleasure and great help as well, and I can't wait to come back! See you soon! -OC

I feel terrible for her family.
Imagine having to work and live next to everyone that now knows your daughter caused all this drama?
Obviously it isn't her families fault and they have no reason to be embarrassed as it wasn't them to who did this but still..... It must really be awful for them.
If it where I , I'd want to put my house up for sale and move! I'd be mortified!
I'm sure Parma is a great town but people do talk, no matter where you live.
Her family has been put on an emotional rollercoaster because of her behavior.
If she wanted to leave, she could have went through the steps of becoming an emancipated minor. She could've gotten a job and saved for a place to live and paid her legal fees to become emancipated. Playing silly games with handwriting isn't the way to go about it.

You guys have been a pleasure and great help as well, and I can't wait to come back! See you soon! -OC

We'll all be here ready and waiting for the next one! See you soon!

Thanks for this information. I feel the girl is very irresponsible. I hope she step forward and give the public a sincere apology. She is young, we can forgive her. But she has to learn a lesson and realize that being irresponsible follows with a consequence....

Thanks for the information. A few thoughts....if she was so heavily involved in the cosmetology program, why would she choose the week of the competition to skip town? Doesn't make sense to me.

Do we know where the note was found? Could she have been forced to write that last part? I still feel that she willingly met the boy but didn't willingly leave the state.

Imagine having to work and live next to everyone that now knows your daughter caused all this drama?
Obviously it isn't her families fault and they have no reason to be embarrassed as it wasn't them to who did this but still..... It must really be awful for them.
If it where I , I'd want to put my house up for sale and move! I'd be mortified!
If she wanted to leave, she could have went through the steps of becoming an emancipated minor. She could've gotten a job and saved for a place to live and paid her legal fees to become emancipated. Playing silly games with handwriting isn't the way to go about it.

I agree with you...however...once you appeal to the media and the public for help, imo you owe it to them to give them a sense of closure .Especially since they knew from the get go that she left voluntarily, but the media and locals that were searching and sharing weren't privy.

Seeing the line that "the parents don't want anything to do with the media" just land wrong for me.

JMO. Again, I'm glad they are being charged. It's a lesson to them and all that see their story. Too many people truly need those resources in order to survive and to waste them on hormonal, irresponsible teens chafs my wheat [emoji6]

Thanks for the information. A few thoughts....if she was so heavily involved in the cosmetology program, why would she choose the week of the competition to skip town? Doesn't make sense to me.

Do we know where the note was found? Could she have been forced to write that last part? I still feel that she willingly met the boy but didn't willingly leave the state.

I think the cosmetology program was pretty much the last thing KB was concerned with when she left. I really don't think she had any intention of coming home. I also don't think she necessarily "chose" the week of the competition; she left when she left because that was when her parents were going to be away.

Personally, I do not believe KB was forced to write the "but safe" part of the note. The note (thanks for the info, OC!), to me, is an interesting piece in all of this for a couple of reasons.

First, I wonder what motivated KB to add those words. I may be wrong, but the general impression I get is that she and her parents are not very close - at least not emotionally. Still, did she simply want to make sure they wouldn't worry (well ... not as much anyway ;))? Or was she trying to tell them -albeit in a rather roundabout way- "Hey, I'm OK, don't try to find me?"

Second, why did they leave a note, period? One possible reason I can think of -the obvious one- is because they wanted to misdirect KB's parents (and then soon LE, etc.). I mean, if I walked into my daughter's room (she is 14), found her missing and a note like the one they left, I probably would assume she had been kidnapped and forced to write that last part, and I suspect LE was operating under that theory - at least in the first few days.

Is it because of this note that KB and the 19-year-old male are now being charged with inducing panic (as in causing serious public alarm by initiating a report of an alleged crime -an abduction or kidnapping-, when they were simply running away)? If it weren't for the note, would they just be let go ("both Bitterman and the 19-year-old man were charged with inducing panic because law enforcement in Massachusetts needed a charge to hold them")?

I don't know ... I think I'm still missing something here ...??

Source: http://www.newsnet5.com/news/local-...atarina-bitterman-charged-with-inducing-panic

Bringkathome/OC, thanks for everything.

I don't like the vibes I'm picking up about this other guy. Some of how this played out makes me worry that there could have been a power imbalance in this relationship. Trying to leave a note that just says "GONE" is almost more antagonistic and frightening than leaving no note at all. It's like a taunt. And then it seems like Kat asserted herself a bit in trying to soften that taunt, and not make her parents worry as much (though she still had to know they would worry.) It makes me uncomfortable to combine all that with the fact that SHE was the one who had to leave all her family and friends. Sometimes in relationships where there is a power imbalance, one party wants to possess the other, and can try to cut the other person off from other sources of support. All anyone kept saying before was how out of her character something like this would be. Maybe this was voluntary on her part, but with some manipulation/undue influence. I know well-educated savvy grown women who have found themselves in that type of relationship, so it is certainly not impossible for a teen either.

I hope someone - the state, her parents - is able to get her some therapy to help get to the bottom of how this all played out. I may be totally off base, but I might not. I know that her friends might feel like they've been put through this whole crazy roller coaster of fear and sadness, and betrayal, etc. But this could have been a more dangerous situation than Kat even realized. When she has had time to process this, she may have some regrets about the effect her actions had on others, and she may need some friends who are willing to extend some forgiveness and help her put her life back together.

Bringkathome/OC, thanks for everything.

I don't like the vibes I'm picking up about this other guy. Some of how this played out makes me worry that there could have been a power imbalance in this relationship. Trying to leave a note that just says "GONE" is almost more antagonistic and frightening than leaving no note at all. It's like a taunt. And then it seems like Kat asserted herself a bit in trying to soften that taunt, and not make her parents worry as much (though she still had to know they would worry.) It makes me uncomfortable to combine all that with the fact that SHE was the one who had to leave all her family and friends. Sometimes in relationships where there is a power imbalance, one party wants to possess the other, and can try to cut the other person off from other sources of support. All anyone kept saying before was how out of her character something like this would be. Maybe this was voluntary on her part, but with some manipulation/undue influence. I know well-educated savvy grown women who have found themselves in that type of relationship, so it is certainly not impossible for a teen either.

I hope someone - the state, her parents - is able to get her some therapy to help get to the bottom of how this all played out. I may be totally off base, but I might not. I know that her friends might feel like they've been put through this whole crazy roller coaster of fear and sadness, and betrayal, etc. But this could have been a more dangerous situation than Kat even realized. When she has had time to process this, she may have some regrets about the effect her actions had on others, and she may need some friends who are willing to extend some forgiveness and help her put her life back together.

I've been trying to wrap my head around the facts we've been given and I kept feeling like the puzzle pieces weren't quite fitting together. I think you hit the nail on the head! Your nuanced explanation finally ties all of the pieces together for me in a way that the original, wholly-positive descriptions of Katarina can coincide with her recent actions.

You are absolutely right. It is very hard on everyone when something like this happens.

When I was in High School, a classmate (friend) and her sister, pretended to be kidnapped for ransome. I knew the family well and although strict certainly not controlling. Initially everybody was freaking and then they were found and found out. The girls came back to school but everyone spurned the girls and made made fun of them (old days bullying essentially). The girls were never the same and within a year, the house was for sale and they moved and no one ever heard from them again.

It will be very hard for the family IMO as well as Katarina.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xhononibb
Back