OH - Pike County: 8 people from one family dead as police hunt for killer(s) - #25

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
You are so right! How excellent will his resume look with solving Ohio's crime of the century? Especially if it happens really close to campaign time while it's still fresh on everyone's hearts and minds. But, you make another good point, Nov 2018 is not very much time at all to crack this case AND get convictions.

On the other hand, Reader seems very passionate about this crime. I think he's going to keep on it until the very end, not to say Dewine is not, of course. I just think he has way more experience in dealing with tragedy in his line of work. He's probably better at suppressing feelings and he's not local to Pike County, at least I don't think he is.
Just wanted to say yes, Reader lives here in Pike. DeWine has been here multiple times but comes from up north, maybe Columbus. Kasich, and I could be wrong, but to my memory he has NEVER been down in this area. He lives in northern Ohio as I recall.

Sent from my VS500PP using Tapatalk

Just wanted to say yes, Reader lives here in Pike. DeWine has been here multiple times but comes from up north, maybe Columbus. Kasich, and I could be wrong, but to my memory he has NEVER been down in this area. He lives in northern Ohio as I recall.

So it understandably hits close to home for Reader. So sad! My heart hurts for this family and the community. I'm wondering if there will be any sort of ceremony for the 1year mark?

I couldn't agree more with your take on the press conference. I have been all over the place in terms of motive, but have now settled on the motive being drugs and possibly more than marijuana. In at least two press conferences, including yesterday's, DeWine has stated that they know a lot more about criminal activity in Pike Co. now. I think this very telling about where the investigation has led them.
Not sure drug is the motive:

DeWine says through the investigation, he's learned about decades of criminal activity that's been taking place in Pike County but did not specify what kind of crime it was.

*http://local12.com/news/local/ohio-...ld-press-conference-on-rhoden-family-massacre

The "decades of criminal history" is pretty interesting. Either:

A) it is a general comment, not necessarily related to this case.
B) or it is related to the case and they are looking at people with a long crime history, fairly senior.

Imo. It's something else than drugs. Could it be hillbilly justice? "Savings lives" their own way

Dewine and Reader are communicating with more ease when drugs are involved in other cases. If they were confident this was about drugs, they would say it, imo. The secrecy is for something else.

That revelation led investigators to consider whether or not the killings could be connected to a Mexican drug cartel previously suspected of moving pot through Pike County.

But Tim Reagan, head of Cincinnati’s Drug Enforcement Administration office, said he's confident that's not the case.

*http://www.wcpo.com/news/crime/pike...to-answer-questions-on-rhoden-family-massacre

If this case was about drugs, would he be so confident a cartel is not involved?

this leads me back to the opiate problem that was rumored to be in or around the nursing home. there is too many pages to go looking back, and i could be wrong, but DR had worked at the nursing home that had a problem with pill problems maybe her or other caretakers were selling? i just cant shake off the opiates though

Not sure drug is the motive:

DeWine says through the investigation, he's learned about decades of criminal activity that's been taking place in Pike County but did not specify what kind of crime it was.

*http://local12.com/news/local/ohio-...ld-press-conference-on-rhoden-family-massacre

The "decades of criminal history" is pretty interesting. Either:

A) it is a general comment, not necessarily related to this case.
B) or it is related to the case and they are looking at people with a long crime history, fairly senior.

Imo. It's something else than drugs. Could it be hillbilly justice? "Savings lives" their own way

It's possible. But with the DEA involved in the case, I'm leaning toward illegal drugs.

I think Kasich has always lived in the Columbus area. Last year he was out of Ohio for most of the year. He didn't come back when these murders happened. He left DeWine to handle it all.

It's possible. But with the DEA involved in the case, I'm leaning toward illegal drugs.

Yes, and that shouldn't surprise anyone in LE. This area, going north to Columbus & Mahoning Valley and down to Cincinnati have been featured in every annual DEA report going back more than a decade. So I found it odd that DeWine claimed they found out about new criminal activity going back that far. Maybe they weren't reading the DEA reports.

Criminal activity related to drug gangs, LCN, motorcycle gangs and other forms of organized crime have existed in that area and neighboring WVa, KY and PA for many generations, engaging in drug trade, MJ, prostitution, fencing of stolen goods, stolen cars, you name it. Most are still around and very powerful. They occasionally engage in "wars" against each other.

https://www.dea.gov/docs/2015 NDTA Report.pdf

Ohio created its first organized crime task force back in the 1980's. It's amazing that no one realized how much crime was happening in Pike and surrounding counties. How did the AG miss it? How did county & local LE miss it?

It should be considered that any kind of organized criminal activity in this area involves more than drugs, MJ, etc. Not that Rhodens were involved in it, that's very unlikely. But perhaps they angered some group who was. A group that had a lot of resources, influence, etc. to commit this horrible crime.

Just check the daily headlines of any of the local newspapers

http://portsmouth-dailytimes.com/news/15269/the-sex-trade

This article (and many recent ones with similar horrible news) made me consider another theory about ChrisSr

Upwards of 50 overdoses here - Scioto County, OH

http://portsmouth-dailytimes.com/news/15264/upwards-of-50-overdoses-here

Horrible epidemic in that area. The Rhodens lived on the border of Pike and Scioto Counties.

Various media reports said that Chris Roden Sr. had helped his cousin Gary kick a serious addiction to opiods. It's why he allowed him to live at the trailer - to help Chris out and keep an eye on him. We can assume Chris Sr may have been in the MJ business a few years and had an idea about what was going on in the area. What if he became upset at the drastic increase in opioids flowing into the area, along with increased overdoses? What if he decided to take action on his own to try to stop the opiod epidemic by making threats to dealers or talking to LE, bringing the wrath of the big dealers/org crime down on himself and his family?

Long time Lurker, I post very rarely. I've been watching this case since it happened, I live in Ohio myself. I've read most of the articles linked in this thread, read through the Topix threads, and watched every YouTube. Here are my thoughts:

I think this is much, much bigger than child custody, inheritance, revenge or "hillbilly justice". The killer(s) knew how to execute these murders in a way that made it nearly impossible for them to solve by evidence collected at the scenes alone. Someone in that family upset about inheritance or child custody would have highly unlikely ability to execute these murders "methodically" and unsolved for this amount of time.

I believe someone powerful and local to Pike County is involved. Most likely related to LE/Justice/Prosecution. I believe THIS is why there is so much secrecy around this case and why Reader seems to be completely out of the loop and not actively involved in this investigation. In the presser Reader even mentioned that if he thinks of something or has questions he jots them down and sends them to DeWine's office and usually hears back within a few days. DeWine said in the presser that this case has brought to his attention a history of crime spanning back a decade or more. People have made points about this person has to be well known to the family, but I don't necessarily think that's true. Pike county has ~13 deputy's working at the Sheriff's office, in the past few years there have been 4 instances where deputy's have been investigated for major crimes (Not to mention Rob Junk's shadiness), some of those being murder related (as has been mentioned here many times). That's a pretty significant number of issues for such a small department so it's pretty safe to conclude that there are certainly issues there, at least before Reader came on board and that's part of what leads me to my theory. I believe the past 10+ years there has been a growing amount of corruption in Pike county related to drug crimes (just look at the stats for that area).

I believe that a local person(s) of power or LE is involved in the trafficking. This person either got wind of the grow ops at the Rhoden's and either blackmailed them to grow FOR their drug business, OR warned them to stop selling their supply to the locals as it was cutting in on their business. This person(s) have visited the Rhoden's before, maybe not even more than a few times, but enough to know about their surveillance and the layout of the homes. It wouldn't take much to watch them to learn when they were asleep. I don't necessarily think the killers had an "inside" person providing them info, if they did, it was most likely ONE of the Rhoden's killed and they never thought this would/could happen. Someone with the ability to commit these murders the way they were done are going to have as FEW people involved as possible. The night the Rhoden's were murdered this killer(s) showed up at the properties, CR or his brother answered the door and the killer(s) told them to put the dogs away. The killer(s) entered and, well you know the rest. Think about it, if this local person of power showed up at your house, knew you were growing pot, wouldn't you put the dogs away and hope they leave without issue like they did the last time?

I believe this is the only explanation as to why there's been so much secrecy in this case and Reader has said in interviews on YouTube where local media was asking why the warehouse where the trailers are stored wasn't being locked up that this case "is bigger than that" referring to this not being about stolen cars and other things. http://www.wcpo.com/longform/pike-c...lers-in-rhoden-family-homicides-may-be-locals

I'm leaning towards this being related to the old Sheriff Henderson and/or deputy's that worked for him. When reader got elected someone in the Rhoden family may have made threats along the lines of "We'll just destroy all our plants and tell the new Sheriff everything you've been doing!". This person(s) of power off'd the family to keep a lid on this decade+ long history of drug trafficking and corruption local to the area.

Mike DeWine said in the presser that the FBI and DEA have been assisting in this investigation since day 1, atleast to some level. Was the evidence left enough to give them the impression this wasn't just some small town hick murder and to keep a lid on things? Is it that DeWine and Reader are covering something up or being secretive or is it that they themselves were essentially booted off the case by the Fed early on and DeWine's office is essentially just assisting the Feds in the investigation. IMO It's either that or DeWine is concerned that if too much info gets leaked even to Reader, then Reader might slip up and tell his wife one night during an emotional breakdown and she might gossip it to others which would alert the murderers and they'd risk jeopardizing the case.

I genuinely believe that IF this ever gets solved that it's going to be huge. It's not going to be about some guy worried what would happen if people found out he was the father of Hannah's child. If that were the case, and forgive me for this, but he could have just killed her while she was pregnant OR just killed the child, why kill the whole family but LEAVE the child? Again, Hillbilly Justice? I'm sorry but I don't think a Hillbilly is capable of committing this crime in the way it was done. FWIW, I like Reader and think he is genuine, I hope he is able to clean that area up and build a solid force behind him.

My concern though is that it might NOT get solved because it would result in uncovering one of the largest cases of state/county corruption ever.

Just my thoughts, poorly organized maybe. :)

Long time Lurker, I post very rarely. I've been watching this case since it happened, I live in Ohio myself. I've read most of the articles linked in this thread, read through the Topix threads, and watched every YouTube. Here are my thoughts:

I think this is much, much bigger than child custody, inheritance, revenge or "hillbilly justice". The killer(s) knew how to execute these murders in a way that made it nearly impossible for them to solve by evidence collected at the scenes alone. Someone in that family upset about inheritance or child custody would have highly unlikely ability to execute these murders "methodically" and unsolved for this amount of time.

I believe someone powerful and local to Pike County is involved. Most likely related to LE/Justice/Prosecution. I believe THIS is why there is so much secrecy around this case and why Reader seems to be completely out of the loop and not actively involved in this investigation. In the presser Reader even mentioned that if he thinks of something or has questions he jots them down and sends them to DeWine's office and usually hears back within a few days. DeWine said in the presser that this case has brought to his attention a history of crime spanning back a decade or more. People have made points about this person has to be well known to the family, but I don't necessarily think that's true. Pike county has ~13 deputy's working at the Sheriff's office, in the past few years there have been 4 instances where deputy's have been investigated for major crimes (Not to mention Rob Junk's shadiness), some of those being murder related (as has been mentioned here many times). That's a pretty significant number of issues for such a small department so it's pretty safe to conclude that there are certainly issues there, at least before Reader came on board and that's part of what leads me to my theory. I believe the past 10+ years there has been a growing amount of corruption in Pike county related to drug crimes (just look at the stats for that area).

I believe that a local person(s) of power or LE is involved in the trafficking. This person either got wind of the grow ops at the Rhoden's and either blackmailed them to grow FOR their drug business, OR warned them to stop selling their supply to the locals as it was cutting in on their business. This person(s) have visited the Rhoden's before, maybe not even more than a few times, but enough to know about their surveillance and the layout of the homes. It wouldn't take much to watch them to learn when they were asleep. I don't necessarily think the killers had an "inside" person providing them info, if they did, it was most likely ONE of the Rhoden's killed and they never thought this would/could happen. Someone with the ability to commit these murders the way they were done are going to have as FEW people involved as possible. The night the Rhoden's were murdered this killer(s) showed up at the properties, CR or his brother answered the door and the killer(s) told them to put the dogs away. The killer(s) entered and, well you know the rest. Think about it, if this local person of power showed up at your house, knew you were growing pot, wouldn't you put the dogs away and hope they leave without issue like they did the last time?

I believe this is the only explanation as to why there's been so much secrecy in this case and Reader has said in interviews on YouTube where local media was asking why the warehouse where the trailers are stored wasn't being locked up that this case "is bigger than that" referring to this not being about stolen cars and other things. http://www.wcpo.com/longform/pike-c...lers-in-rhoden-family-homicides-may-be-locals

I'm leaning towards this being related to the old Sheriff Henderson and/or deputy's that worked for him. When reader got elected someone in the Rhoden family may have made threats along the lines of "We'll just destroy all our plants and tell the new Sheriff everything you've been doing!". This person(s) of power off'd the family to keep a lid on this decade+ long history of drug trafficking and corruption local to the area.

Mike DeWine said in the presser that the FBI and DEA have been assisting in this investigation since day 1, atleast to some level. Was the evidence left enough to give them the impression this wasn't just some small town hick murder and to keep a lid on things? Is it that DeWine and Reader are covering something up or being secretive or is it that they themselves were essentially booted off the case by the Fed early on and DeWine's office is essentially just assisting the Feds in the investigation. IMO It's either that or DeWine is concerned that if too much info gets leaked even to Reader, then Reader might slip up and tell his wife one night during an emotional breakdown and she might gossip it to others which would alert the murderers and they'd risk jeopardizing the case.

I genuinely believe that IF this ever gets solved that it's going to be huge. It's not going to be about some guy worried what would happen if people found out he was the father of Hannah's child. If that were the case, and forgive me for this, but he could have just killed her while she was pregnant OR just killed the child, why kill the whole family but LEAVE the child? Again, Hillbilly Justice? I'm sorry but I don't think a Hillbilly is capable of committing this crime in the way it was done. FWIW, I like Reader and think he is genuine, I hope he is able to clean that area up and build a solid force behind him.

My concern though is that it might NOT get solved because it would result in uncovering one of the largest cases of state/county corruption ever.

This is definitely a solid theory! Nice!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Love the name! Lots of good points. So, let's think on the corruption of possible past LE, if something was uncovered who would likely discover this and where would it go from there? Would another agency higher than BCI and Dewine take over the case? I like your theory, I'm just trying to figure out what happens if it turns out to be true. Surely it wouldn't just be swept under a rug.

Also, something I forgot to mention previously is that the "target" may not even be among the dead. Meaning that the message to be heard, may have been heard by a close relative or friend who is still alive.

Also, something I forgot to mention previously is that the "target" may not even be among the dead. Meaning that the message to be heard, may have been heard by a close relative or friend who is still alive.

This definitely could be a "see what happens if you don't play the game" warning....

:wagon:

Thanks for your post. I agree with most of what you say. The killings were meant to send a message to someone, maybe several people. And it was a big message they were sending.

Also agree that there's a possibility of corruption/involvement of LE, government, judiciary, etc. not just in Pike County, but the surrounding area. It's very odd that Reader has to write down notes about the case and send them to DeWine's office, especially when DeWine noted he now only attends meetings about the case every three weeks or so.

IMO, the FBI and DEA are only minimally involved, if at all. I don't think the state & locals, want them snooping around too much. They're still active in the area with the multi-agency task force trying to stop the flow of drugs in the area, but I don't think they're working on this murder case. I sincerely hope I'm wrong. JMO, I also think this is why the news media is snooping around this case. They've asked the same questions, and keep asking: "Where's the FBI? Where's the DEA?" Something has them on the alert and it may be the fact that those agencies aren't involved, indicating a possible cover up of some kind.

ETA: I also wonder if they're taking a "surgical" approach to the investigation and possible prosecution of perp(s). Are they seeking to limit the scope of the investigation to only include minor and/or out of town players while avoiding shining the light on powerful folks who may also be involved in the chain of corruption? If you live in Ohio, you know they've done those kinds of investigations before. At some level, I wonder if they would like to just bust a couple of druggie rednecks and sweep the rest of the mess under the rug. Again, I hope I'm wrong.

Wow:::What great ideas are coming to the surface.Sky; my notes here are
mostly for you..Your opinions and the opinions of others living around the
Ohio area of this subject we are trying our best to to Sleuth out ,,is like
fine gold to our opinions..Please keep up the sharing of your ideas because
without your input,we, who are long distance ,,make our ideas based
largely on your information that we consume.
Now, a word about your interesting comments,,I said,and I still hold to the
fact this crime was committed by one person. This person had everything to
gain by his decision to rub out tha whole family..As shocking as it may seem,,
the time line fits his obesession. We spoke of He and HR having an affair. a casual affair or what ever, never the less, it amounts to the same
conclusion. At this point, I can not remember who HR'S father is.. Again, the
perpetrator got involved with HR back in August ,2015..Soon, the facts
surfaced that she was pregnant..Now, his reaction was let's abort..Her reaction,
no way..Her father's reaction to an abortion was based on his belief that
abortion amounted to murder. He and the whole family argued about this
issue and he lost.HR and her pastor may have discusses this secret..You
remember, the family did have church affiliations...While that baby is coming
to term,, he, the perpetrator, makes regular stops to chat with members
of the family..He must do this in the day time because he has a family to
go to at night...In 2015, his job allowed him unrestricted time to make the
trips to lower Pike County for the interviews with the family..Shortly after
August of 2015, something happened that has never been explained.
There was a great deal of turmoil in Pike County and the shift turned to
him to get a promotion, a promotion of a life time.. Once in a life opportunity
to get what he wanted....But, his affair was nagging him because if the
affair became public, his family would suffer and the job he wanted would be
yanked from him..To put an end to the chance of being outed, on April 22,2016,
He cleared the air of his affair and killed those who knew about him and could
talk..He did not get them all, mind you, but they are minor actors in the
family...
I want to mention another angle to makes my theory most valuable to me.
All the citizens living in Ohio,Pike County, that post good reliable information,
are to me standing on a high mountain overlooking that Rual area ,,
looking at the murder location,watching and waiting,checking court
records,etc.and reporting what you see from up there..I am standing in
the valley seeing nothing,but hearing what you report. We get our emotions
and make our decisions based on your expertise in reporting. Keep it
coming..

Not to be ungrateful for the article but I think they either re-posted much of one from early last year, or just tossed one together and didn't check facts, b/c that is a very old error about CR2; "[FONT=&quot]Rhoden was also close “like brothers” with his older cousin, Gary Rhoden, and the pair died together in the home." [/FONT]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
raindrop413