OH - Pike County: 8 People From One Family Dead As Police Hunt For Killer(s) #34 *Arrests*

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I think you could well be right.

Though such a motivation would not have to be religious. Rather, it could be a secular motive where the attacker perceived that the family was acting as a single entity during a dispute, or was acting as a unified group when they took a position. Though times have changed, Appalachian families in the past would present themselves as unified group when taking actions or positions.

In short, some secular motives can create equally intense feelings as religious opposition. For example, child custody disputes, property disputes (can get very personal at times), perceived or actual sheltering of a third party etc. whom the attacker considered to be an enemy etc. I have no idea if any of these things played a part though.

BBM
That unification has not changed for many. Family is family. It's all a lot of folks have. Agree on the secular part. I've seen far more incidences of violence, and heartache, over secular issues than religious ones, in families. Now, using religion as a justification to terrorize groups of folks, or for starting wars? Usually it's in there somewhere as a justification. However, I'll leave that alone. That's a different discussion for a different day.

This might be interesting reading for folks on the thread who have not been to the region. It may not. I'll leave it here, in case anyone might be interested. All areas of the region have their own similarities, and differences, but there is a common thread that seems to connect us. This was written as a sort of guide, to aid counselors, who were not familiar with the culture, to be better able to serve their patients. I thought they did a fairly decent job on it.

Attachments

• Article_69.pdf
    1.3 MB · Views: 30
This might be interesting reading for folks on the thread who have not been to the region. It may not. I'll leave it here, in case anyone might be interested. All areas of the region have their own similarities, and differences, but there is a common thread that seems to connect us. This was written as a sort of guide, to aid counselors, who were not familiar with the culture, to be better able to serve their patients. I thought they did a fairly decent job on it.
I’m interested but cant open file . Is there a link i could follow - or search term ?

Try this link (it's a pdf file but opens in my browser when I click the link)

https://www.counseling.org/docs/default-source/vistas/vistas_2010_article_69.pdf?sfvrsn=e3a869d5_11
Try this link (it's a pdf file but opens in my browser when I click the link)

https://www.counseling.org/docs/default-source/vistas/vistas_2010_article_69.pdf?sfvrsn=e3a869d5_11

thanks for the link . It explains a good deal , and i would think you would have to live the life and culture to fully understand it . The person who wrote the article , wrote it as if they were from another planet ........says a lot . Makes me wonder if wiping out a entire family is acceptable for a perceived wrong amongst the community .

It very well could be there hasent been a accurate profile because of this , other then the Hatfield and McCoy’s - but that was a long running feud .

Dana says ( the evil ones ) . Maybe it was a mix of Appalachia , religion ,, and just plain crazy amongst and incorporated in one family .

thanks for the link . It explains a good deal , and i would think you would have to live the life and culture to fully understand it . The person who wrote the article , wrote it as if they were from another planet ........says a lot . Makes me wonder if wiping out a entire family is acceptable for a perceived wrong amongst the community .

It very well could be there hasent been a accurate profile because of this , other then the Hatfield and McCoy’s - but that was a long running feud .

Dana says ( the evil ones ) . Maybe it was a mix of Appalachia , religion ,, and just plain crazy amongst and incorporated in one family .

I have lived here, my entire life, and folk's "ways" can vary, even within counties, but, one thing that has always seemed a constant is self reliance, a mistrust of outsiders, familial connections, and land is still important to a lot of folks (it is to me).

That mistrust of outsiders makes me think that the neighbors would have noticed, and the R families, too. if odd vehicles had been driving by, casing the places. One time cruising through, might seem odd, two times would be deliberate, to me, anyways. I'd be paying attention.

I personally dont think they needed to drive by to case the place , and I’m not sure they needed to be on the road at all .
Ive put myself in there shoes and thought about it . Even being tracked on the next road over , or a mile away from some home owners cam would be detrimental, placing you out and about messing with your alibi . Or possibly making your face or tag .
These people already had all the inside information imo. And possibly a insider living on the block feeding them information . Wasn’t there a text ?

A couple of quads hidden in the right locations and have someone drop you off , pick you up .
Even better if you had say “ a grandmother “ who lived close by . I’m sure there’s trails all thru those hills .....park outside ear shot and walk in .

Who do we know out there who has a couple of quads ?
Jw was spotted on the train tracks i think the day before on his quad ( dry run maybe ) Those tracks were 1 ny city block from his house . I’m sure he knows the route to Hanna’s . Or to grandmas .....
Whatever the case, these were not stupid people . They did everything possible not to get caught.

Like i said I put myself in there shoes , and if I were to do this , this would be the way I would do it . Unseen thru the woods.
You are getting certain death if your caught - 8 premeditated murders has no excuse . I’m pretty sure they did everything possible not to be detected .

I personally dont think they needed to drive by to case the place , and I’m not sure they needed to be on the road at all .
Ive put myself in there shoes and thought about it . Even being tracked on the next road over , or a mile away from some home owners cam would be detrimental, placing you out and about messing with your alibi . Or possibly making your face or tag .
These people already had all the inside information imo. And possibly a insider living on the block feeding them information . Wasn’t there a text ?

A couple of quads hidden in the right locations and have someone drop you off , pick you up .
Even better if you had say “ a grandmother “ who lived close by . I’m sure there’s trails all thru those hills .....park outside ear shot and walk in .

Jw was spotted on the train tracks i think the day before on his quad ( dry run maybe ) Those tracks were 1 ny city block from his house . I’m sure he knows the route to Hanna’s . Or to grandmas .....
Whatever the case, these were not stupid people . They did everything possible not to get caught.

Like i said I put myself in there shoes , and if I were to do this , this would be the way I would do it . Unseen thru the woods.
You are getting certain death if your caught - 8 premeditated murders has no excuse . I’m pretty sure they did everything possible not to be detected .

JMO, its highly likely they had someone local, familiar with the families, who helped them research the homes and families, their schedules, etc. They were most likely paid for their services and probably participated (in a peripheral manner) in the murders. The most likely candidates seem to be the family that escaped to AK.

As for ATV-type vehicles, perhaps they were used. IIRC, an analysis of the terrain and suspected railroad tracks in the area, the possibility of someone accessing the crime scenes via those routes from homes or nearby highways is unlikely. The terrain along the utility power lines ROW is too rugged and the RR tracks don't come anywhere close to the crime scenes.

Though the records have never been made public, it would be interesting to see if anyone in the neighborhood called 911 that night to report suspicious activities involving cars or ATV's. If professional killers were used (which JMO is highly likely), they would have arranged in advance for untraceable vehicles. It would also be interesting to view records that night of all the regional air traffic. I still think it's possible a crew was flown in, did the job with help from a few locals, then left again.

The killers haven't been caught, JMO, because they were strangers to the few locals who knew of their presence. None of those few locals have talked because doing so would be a death sentence for themselves and their families.

The only big clues for us are the red truck that was later sold to JM and LE's actions and comments about the W family, after they absconded to AK.

I don't think they did either. I think they knew the Rs, and, at that time of night, the vehicle they used would be difficult to pinpoint. EDIT: The terrain is rough in that area, but, they'd know their way around in the dark, on that road, and around the outside areas, and insides of, those homes.

I was talking about outsiders coming round to case things out during the day. Strangers. Strangers possibly being seen riding around with locals. Someone would have noticed. Then again, there may have been outsiders noticed, and those who saw them, just aren't speaking up. I think this was strictly between the Rs and whoever killed them. When it came out about the grows, I think folks may have decided to mind their own.

Last edited:
I think you could well be right.

Though such a motivation would not have to be religious. Rather, it could be a secular motive where the attacker perceived that the family was acting as a single entity during a dispute, or was acting as a unified group when they took a position. Though times have changed, Appalachian families in the past would present themselves as unified group when taking actions or positions.

In short, some secular motives can create equally intense feelings as religious opposition. For example, child custody disputes, property disputes (can get very personal at times), perceived or actual sheltering of a third party etc. whom the attacker considered to be an enemy etc. I have no idea if any of these things played a part though.

Could GR be this situation? Was he hiding out from people he owed money or for some other reason?

Since DeWine will no longer be the AG maybe the new AG will release more information about this crime.

JMO

It would be nice if this could change, but it seems doubtful. Yost is part of the same group. He's worked closely with DeWine in his previous jobs. As state auditor, he boasts of a long record of working to cut funding for local governments. So in that sense, he's not supportive of local LE. Like DeWine, he'll be a top-down kind of AG, who steps in to take control of local high profile investigations instead of giving local LE the funds and oversight they need to prevent these kinds of crimes. DeWine was an experienced "fixer" in this respect, able to cover things up and help selectively prosecute high profile crimes. As governor, DeWine will probably keep tight control over the Rhoden murder case and will guide Yost accordingly. All JMO

If the Rhoden murder case ever makes it to arrests and trials, it will blow open too much controversial activity related to drug trafficking in southern Ohio.

JMO

It would be nice if this could change, but it seems doubtful. Yost is part of the same group. He's worked closely with DeWine in his previous jobs. As state auditor, he boasts of a long record of working to cut funding for local governments. So in that sense, he's not supportive of local LE. Like DeWine, he'll be a top-down kind of AG, who steps in to take control of local high profile investigations instead of giving local LE the funds and oversight they need to prevent these kinds of crimes. DeWine was an experienced "fixer" in this respect, able to cover things up and help selectively prosecute high profile crimes. As governor, DeWine will probably keep tight control over the Rhoden murder case and will guide Yost accordingly. All JMO

If the Rhoden murder case ever makes it to arrests and trials, it will blow open too much controversial activity related to drug trafficking in southern Ohio.

JMO

Yost will answer to DeWine. DeWine will still have control over this case. At this point, if someone, or two, are charged, you would have to wonder if they were set up to get the case closed...

LE reported later that none of the vehicles were stolen. They were returned to family members.

Vehicles returning to relatives of 8 slain Rhoden family members

LE also stated that the family wasn't involved in cockfighting, either.

Property returned yes. But they all go into probate. The probate is or at least was being held up because the attorney could not provide an accurate inventory. A part of that will be held in the trailers LE has in custody as evidence.

In addition the property the took that no one is aware of as evidence. So in effect until this case moves to trial the probate is at a standstill.

Someone is paying expenses on the property ie taxes etc with no definitive date they will be reimbursed. An excellent method of putting pressure in the interested parties to talk. Nice legal maneuver but the families are stuck.

There was supposedly a significant amount of cash taken into custody as well. That may never be returned if it is considered ill gotten gains.

It’s beyond me that someone can’t come forward and tell the truth, and perhaps they have and LE is in the process of investigation. Who knows. Now that the elections are over there is no reason to have these awful murders continue to be unsolved.

Property returned yes. But they all go into probate. The probate is or at least was being held up because the attorney could not provide an accurate inventory. A part of that will be held in the trailers LE has in custody as evidence.

In addition the property the took that no one is aware of as evidence. So in effect until this case moves to trial the probate is at a standstill.

Someone is paying expenses on the property ie taxes etc with no definitive date they will be reimbursed. An excellent method of putting pressure in the interested parties to talk. Nice legal maneuver but the families are stuck.

There was supposedly a significant amount of cash taken into custody as well. That may never be returned if it is considered ill gotten gains.

It’s beyond me that someone can’t come forward and tell the truth, and perhaps they have and LE is in the process of investigation. Who knows. Now that the elections are over there is no reason to have these awful murders continue to be unsolved.

Last I checked, TR was paying the property taxes. It seems unfair to punish surviving family members who weren't involved in the killings, while LE points to the W family as the ones who know anything. The family members are in a no-win situation - they probably don't know who the killers were (or they wouldn't be alive). If they suspect someone local of being involved, they risk their own lives in talking to LE. JMO, surviving family members are being punished out of spite and intimidation. Perhaps it's LE/prosecutors method of making sure they don't talk. JMO.

ETA: as we've discussed here before, if LE wants locals to talk about who might have been involved locally, they sure aren't doing anything to motivate them to come forward. Little or no reward, no protection. It's not the way LE operates in other parts of the US.

Could GR be this situation? Was he hiding out from people he owed money or for some other reason?
I don't have enough specific knowledge to have an opinion.

As a result, I need to limit myself to general themes (family seen as acting as a unified group regarding an action or taking a position as a group)

I don't think they did either. I think they knew the Rs, and, at that time of night, the vehicle they used would be difficult to pinpoint. EDIT: The terrain is rough in that area, but, they'd know their way around in the dark, on that road, and around the outside areas, and insides of, those homes.

I was talking about outsiders coming round to case things out during the day. Strangers. Strangers possibly being seen riding around with locals. Someone would have noticed. Then again, there may have been outsiders noticed, and those who saw them, just aren't speaking up. I think this was strictly between the Rs and whoever killed them. When it came out about the grows, I think folks may have decided to mind their own.
I thought you were try to say something....lol , just couldn’t figure it out .

wow. this is really interesting. thank you so much for sharing- rsd1200 - it makes it clear just how important the 'family' is in this area of the country. Also how the 'family homestead' is important and seeming 'equal' to your peers/other families in the area is valued...not wanting to be too showy so as to disrupt the egalitarian values of their community. I feel like this crime is very personal. Particularly for DR and CRsr. Whoever committed this terrible crime took out every member of the R family....but why?

Lots of connections to Greenup there. Greenup, and Hwy 23 has connections to Detroit. GR's mom and stepdad, same step who GR had previously been arrested with, for shooting up in a local Greenup store's parking lot, is listed below w/charges. DL, GR's mom, is not listed til the indictments are handed down. According to KOOL, DL was paroled on 9/16/2014, and JL was paroled 11/2014. She should be served out on parole next Sept. She got ten years, the hubby, on same charges, got five. DL spoke to the press after GR's death, they did not reveal her name,for fear she, or other family there, may be targeted. She said she spoke to GR a couple days before the murders, told GR she loved him, and was surprised about the weed discovery. GR had some sketchy friends on his FB list that had Detroit ties, iirc, but, his friend list is no longer able to be viewed by the public.

UPDATE: Detroit to Kentucky Drug Trafficking Operation Busted; 4 Arrests

5 indicted in alleged drug pipeline

Piketon homes where family died had pot-growing operations, officials say

wow. this is really interesting. thank you so much for sharing- rsd1200 - it makes it clear just how important the 'family' is in this area of the country. Also how the 'family homestead' is important and seeming 'equal' to your peers/other families in the area is valued...not wanting to be too showy so as to disrupt the egalitarian values of their community. I feel like this crime is very personal. Particularly for DR and CRsr. Whoever committed this terrible crime took out every member of the R family....but why?

BBM
That's my feeling too. I've got around three pet theories but I keep coming back, to someone punishing this family. The R's were patrolling UHR with firearms, bats, and such, just a couple weeks before the murders. Did the Rs get a heads up? So they thought a collective show of force would tamp down whatever was brewing? Yet it didn't.

BBM
That's my feeling too. I've got around three pet theories but I keep coming back, to someone punishing this family. The R's were patrolling UHR with firearms, bats, and such, just a couple weeks before the murders. Did the Rs get a heads up? So they thought a collective show of force would tamp down whatever was brewing? Yet it didn't.

Maybe the confrontation they had that time on UHR when they ran people off caused a retaliation that got them all killed...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Helengably