OH - Serial Killings in Stark County *ARREST in 2020*

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
There were several. I had looked everywhere else imaginable. My son is on the computer now, so will link them as soon as possible. Not sure how, or even if, I can link from my phone. You may have better luck than I did. Have looked at so many unsolved that I easily could have missed something,. Very easily. I have found several that fit I every way except for the ages.

Just a random, probably useless thought.... I know the FOIA was discussed earlier.. also realize the police aren't going to release detailed information about ongoing cases... but what about the Sunshine Laws??? I googled them the other night as was not sure exactly what they actually were. I saw Ohio does have them, they are enhanced for journalists, but also found several articles stating most of the info was available to the general public. I even went to a police website, Canton I believe, that went on and on about they made every effort to make records available when requested, blah, blah, blah....

I am sure they would be of no help, but just a random thought before I have coffee. I just want a list of some sort from somewhere.

I went to the KnoxNews Tracking Serial Killers website database
and had a look at Stark County Unsolved Murders - and then went to the surrounding Countys to check the same data.

My search options were:
Unsolved
Weapon: Knife or Cutting Instrument / Blunt Object / asphyxiation / strangulation / other unkown
Race: All
Ethnicity All

STARK COUNTY - 6
PORTAGE - 1
SUMMIT - 11
MAHONING - 11
COLUMBIANA - 0
CARROLL - 0
TUSCARAWA - 0
HOLMES - 0
WAYNE - 0

Im not sure it makes a difference but, the Countys listed are surrounding Countys of Stark - the county's with the unsolved murders are all in one cluster.

I put them into a chart - it might help with dates - there were no names on the data. What was unusual to me was the amount of 'Other/Type unknown' causes of death. And the age of the women involved - these have all been classified as homicides. I am not sure how they were categorized by the police and if mutilation was classified under knife/cutting object - and if poisoning was named as cause (it may have been put under other or type unknown)

On the website where the data is located it also has a date of when the cases were filed with the FBI - this is a different date from the date of the murders.

[TABLE="STARK / SUMMIT / MAHONING unsolved data"]
YEAR MONTH COUNTY VICTIMS AGE DEATH BY
1980 3 STARK 68 KNIFE OR CUTTING INSTRUMENT
1981 12 SUMMIT 78 BLUNT OBJECT OR HAMMER
1982 10 *MAHONING 66 KNIFE OR CUTTING INSTRUMENT
1983 12 STARK 36 KNIFE OR CUTTING INSTRUMENT
1985 9 STARK 47 KNIFE OR CUTTING INSTRUMENT
1987 7 SUMMIT 33 KNIFE OR CUTTING INSTRUMENT
1987 10 SUMMIT 47 KNIFE OR CUTTING INSTRUMENT
1987 12 SUMMIT 36 KNIFE OR CUTTING INSTRUMENT
1991 6 *MAHONING 44 OTHER OR TYPE UNKNOWN
1991 6 *MAHONING 57 BLUNT OBJECT OR HAMMER
1992 3 STARK 51 KNIFE OR CUTTING INSTRUMENT
1992 4 *MAHONING 70 KNIFE OR CUTTING INSTRUMENT
1992 5 SUMMIT 82 OTHER OR TYPE UNKNOWN
1993 4 SUMMIT 36 OTHER OR TYPE UNKNOWN
1995 3 *MAHONING 80 OTHER OR TYPE UNKNOWN
1995 4 *MAHONING 43 KNIFE OR CUTTING INSTRUMENT
1995 8 SUMMIT 34 KNIFE OR CUTTING INSTRUMENT
2000 3 STARK 34 OTHER OR TYPE UNKNOWN
2001 3 *MAHONING 50 OTHER OR TYPE UNKNOWN
2001 10 SUMMIT 45 OTHER OR TYPE UNKNOWN
2002 2 SUMMIT 88 OTHER OR TYPE UNKNOWN
2002 4 SUMMIT 32 OTHER OR TYPE UNKNOWN
2002 10 *MAHONING 48 KNIFE OR CUTTING INSTRUMENT
2004 12 *MAHONING 48 OTHER OR TYPE UNKNOWN
2005 4 STARK 35 KNIFE OR CUTTING INSTRUMENT
2006 1 *MAHONING 41 OTHER OR TYPE UNKNOWN
2008 9 *MAHONING 43 OTHER OR TYPE UNKNOWN
2009 1 SUMMIT 53 OTHER OR TYPE UNKNOWN
[/TABLE]

Hope this helps in some way - maybe the database website can offer you more help with names and other unlisted information they have?

Anna, you did amazing work! Thanks for that!

Sorry I've been missing for a couple of days! I got really burnt up at my oldest's double-header on Saturday and got pretty ill because of it.

As to contacting others about the case............
I have no problem with this at all. The only thing that I would request of anyone is that obviously my name and my husband's name NOT be used at all. Especially when we're talking investigators outside of a website. My FIL is not smart when it comes to today's technology but he is still a VERY smart man and can put 2 and 2 together pretty quickly. I'm hoping that our "visit" last week throws him off a bit.

Absolutely agree MinLynn.... I think asking James Renner would really turn the heat up.

Wow, I didn't know something like this existed. QuestionMark, are you using this database in your research?

Yes, absolutely.... Great post below as well FigTree.

MinLynn. Are you sure the victims name was Dottie? Could it have been Mattie Mapp?

The name we were given was Dottie Morris and she would've lived right off Fulton Ave in an apartment building in Canton. Back apartment 2nd floor. Keep in mind that Dottie may also be a nickname. Maybe her name was Dorothy? This is coming from him himself so I would think he'd know but then again......who knows?

Having days to root my memory I do remember reports of a murder off fulton Rd. Not sure where I read or heard them from but I remember driving on Fulton Rd, wondering where the location was. I can't remember specifics like names but do seem to remember it was reported as a knifing incident to a woman who lived alone. I can't remember the exact year but it should have been around 1987-89ish I think, give or take a few years.

Just a note that TV stations were from Cleveland and TV-news was reported from that area.

I also came across an this database from Ancestry.com. "Ohio, Deaths, 1908-1932, 1938-2007"

http://search.ancestry.com/search/d...978&o_lid=0000584978&o_sch=Affiliate+External

The name we were given was Dottie Morris and she would've lived right off Fulton Ave in an apartment building in Canton. Back apartment 2nd floor. Keep in mind that Dottie may also be a nickname. Maybe her name was Dorothy? This is coming from him himself so I would think he'd know but then again......who knows?

I remember a woman murdered in an apartment building off Fulton. I actually have a page of notes and the date listed on them is March 30, 1986. Is that the Easter Sunday murder that was spoken of in the Jim Shannon article? I may be totally confused, and am off to look for links, Please someone correct me if i am wrong.

I remember a woman murdered in an apartment building off Fulton. I actually have a page of notes and the date listed on them is March 30, 1986. Is that the Easter Sunday murder that was spoken of in the Jim Shannon article? I may be totally confused, and am off to look for links, Please someone correct me if i am wrong.

Hi Anna,

I don't think you're confused, I think you're pretty sharp. Yes, March 31, 1986 was Easter.

I've searched the Canton Repository archives but they only go back to 1999, which might explain no net hits.

ETA: Something maybe found on library microfiche.

Anna, that is the exact date! For those familiar with the area.......the apartment building is not large at all and almost looks like a house but is built out of large tan bricks or concrete blocks. Her apartment was in the back facing away from Fulton and had two "moon" windows (think Amityville) in the back. It's very near to the on-ramp for 77 South and right before the Hall of Fame entrance.

When I searched the microfiches the only thing I could find then was a small teeny article with no details. In fact, in one of my first posts I even said I thought her name was Donna from memory (close enough I guess for only having to remember a name but not see it). I used to have it but have since lost it over the years. I need to get back there but with sports and cheerleading and my husband's multiple surgeries coming up, I just haven't found the time lately.

Also for those who may be wondering "Why would he report a murder if he did it?!" We don't believe that is how it was going to go. He had my husband with him(age 8) in the U-Haul truck. He told my husband to wait in the truck while he went upstairs and finished helping her pack. Being an 8 year old, he got bored and decided he needed to use the bathroom as little kids do. My husband walked upstairs and opened her door. He walked into a very bloody and gruesome scene of Dottie's body on the couch. When my FIL caught him up there he feigned surprise and told him to head back downstairs. He then took my husband home and then returned to the scene and then called the police.

Here is a google image of the back of the apartment building where her apt was accessible:

Attachments

• Untitled.jpg
    Untitled.jpg
    71.8 KB · Views: 69
Anyone have any links? I've been looking 2 hours lol

I made notes because I was having such a hard time keeping names, dates, and homicides straight in my head.. Lol. I saved links to everything I found interesting..so it is somewhere... hopefully I can find it.

There's a Dorothy Morris AKA 'Dovenetta Mitchell" and -maybe- AKA last name 'Morisseau' or 'Morriseau' listed as being in Canton Ohio at some point, age 52 at some point. Haven't ruled her out yet, but it's late here, so I'll try that tomorrow.

Just thinking - "Donna".. might explain the confusion if she was using an alias.

I went to the KnoxNews Tracking Serial Killers website database
and had a look at Stark County Unsolved Murders - and then went to the surrounding Countys to check the same data.

My search options were:
Unsolved
Weapon: Knife or Cutting Instrument / Blunt Object / asphyxiation / strangulation / other unkown
Race: All
Ethnicity All

STARK COUNTY - 6
PORTAGE - 1
SUMMIT - 11
MAHONING - 11
COLUMBIANA - 0
CARROLL - 0
TUSCARAWA - 0
HOLMES - 0
WAYNE - 0

Im not sure it makes a difference but, the Countys listed are surrounding Countys of Stark - the county's with the unsolved murders are all in one cluster.

I put them into a chart - it might help with dates - there were no names on the data. What was unusual to me was the amount of 'Other/Type unknown' causes of death. And the age of the women involved - these have all been classified as homicides. I am not sure how they were categorized by the police and if mutilation was classified under knife/cutting object - and if poisoning was named as cause (it may have been put under other or type unknown)

On the website where the data is located it also has a date of when the cases were filed with the FBI - this is a different date from the date of the murders.

[table="STARK / SUMMIT / MAHONING unsolved data"]
YEAR MONTH COUNTY VICTIMS AGE DEATH BY
1980 3 STARK 68 KNIFE OR CUTTING INSTRUMENT
1981 12 SUMMIT 78 BLUNT OBJECT OR HAMMER
1982 10 *MAHONING 66 KNIFE OR CUTTING INSTRUMENT
1983 12 STARK 36 KNIFE OR CUTTING INSTRUMENT
1985 9 STARK 47 KNIFE OR CUTTING INSTRUMENT
1987 7 SUMMIT 33 KNIFE OR CUTTING INSTRUMENT
1987 10 SUMMIT 47 KNIFE OR CUTTING INSTRUMENT
1987 12 SUMMIT 36 KNIFE OR CUTTING INSTRUMENT
1991 6 *MAHONING 44 OTHER OR TYPE UNKNOWN
1991 6 *MAHONING 57 BLUNT OBJECT OR HAMMER
1992 3 STARK 51 KNIFE OR CUTTING INSTRUMENT
1992 4 *MAHONING 70 KNIFE OR CUTTING INSTRUMENT
1992 5 SUMMIT 82 OTHER OR TYPE UNKNOWN
1993 4 SUMMIT 36 OTHER OR TYPE UNKNOWN
1995 3 *MAHONING 80 OTHER OR TYPE UNKNOWN
1995 4 *MAHONING 43 KNIFE OR CUTTING INSTRUMENT
1995 8 SUMMIT 34 KNIFE OR CUTTING INSTRUMENT
2000 3 STARK 34 OTHER OR TYPE UNKNOWN
2001 3 *MAHONING 50 OTHER OR TYPE UNKNOWN
2001 10 SUMMIT 45 OTHER OR TYPE UNKNOWN
2002 2 SUMMIT 88 OTHER OR TYPE UNKNOWN
2002 4 SUMMIT 32 OTHER OR TYPE UNKNOWN
2002 10 *MAHONING 48 KNIFE OR CUTTING INSTRUMENT
2004 12 *MAHONING 48 OTHER OR TYPE UNKNOWN
2005 4 STARK 35 KNIFE OR CUTTING INSTRUMENT
2006 1 *MAHONING 41 OTHER OR TYPE UNKNOWN
2008 9 *MAHONING 43 OTHER OR TYPE UNKNOWN
2009 1 SUMMIT 53 OTHER OR TYPE UNKNOWN
[/table]

Hope this helps in some way - maybe the database website can offer you more help with names and other unlisted information they have?
Nice work. I thought I had posted the link to the database earlier in the thread, but I don't see it. Hmm... I know I did some research on it for this case, and I found some interesting patterns with a rise in murders of women over 40 during certain years. Can't believe I didn't post it. lol

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Slowcrow
Back