OH - Serial Killings in Stark County *ARREST in 2020*

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Also for those who may be wondering "Why would he report a murder if he did it?!" We don't believe that is how it was going to go. He had my husband with him(age 8) in the U-Haul truck. He told my husband to wait in the truck while he went upstairs and finished helping her pack. Being an 8 year old, he got bored and decided he needed to use the bathroom as little kids do. My husband walked upstairs and opened her door. He walked into a very bloody and gruesome scene of Dottie's body on the couch. When my FIL caught him up there he feigned surprise and told him to head back downstairs. He then took my husband home and then returned to the scene and then called the police.

Oh, your poor husband! No wonder the two of you are so determined. What a dreadful experience for a little boy to carry with him through life He'll never be free of it, either, until Papa pays the piper.

Min, I'd be willing to bet he fouled up on hiding his tracks after your husband threw a monkey wrench in his plans. The question is what, if any, evidence was retained over the years.

I should have a little free time this week to work on this case. I was on a roll for a while until I got busy.

My husband now suffers from severe PTSD. The kind you often see in soldiers and has to be heavily medicated because he also has hyper-vigilance which makes him extremely paranoid. We can't even drive past that apartment building without him shaking. It's pretty bad.

We thought the same thing. There has to be SOME kind of evidence left over from then that can be matched now. However...........we've been told there is none or that what they have contains no DNA. I can't imagine he would be that careful back then other than to no leave fingerprints or hair. It's a definite mystery to us.

Anna, that could be her. I wouldn't dismiss it because the date's off by a day or two. Do you have any info other than name and age?

As of now I only have her name, age, and date of birth. I then looked for a Morris connection, maiden name... what have you... but admittedly didn't look as much as I could have. I had searched every deceased Dorothy in that area for 86-87 thinking he may have years or even towns confused cause he was such a young child. I will go back. Can't hurt.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Tapatalk 2

As of now I only have her name, age, and date of birth. I then looked for a Morris connection, maiden name... what have you... but admittedly didn't look as much as I could have. I had searched every deceased Dorothy in that area for 86-87 thinking he may have years or even towns confused cause he was such a young child. I will go back. Can't hurt.

The date was stated in an interview by the former chief of detectives.

A few months later, a woman was mutilated on Easter Sunday. The person who reported it was familiar. He was the man still suspected in the Harmont case. Two red flags went up.

The date was stated in an interview by the former chief of detectives.

Correction.. I have name, age, date of birth and date of death. Death occurred in Canton. Yet to find it was athan anything cbut natural causes. But it is the very next day. My father in law passed alone unattended, and different obits and msm did have various dates. I will check into it more.

I've compiled information provided by Min, the former detective, and what MSM is available, on five murders. I had trouble posting a table earlier, so I'm just going wing it. I think if we can comlete the picture on these five murders, it will make it easier to identify others. It's not much, so please let me know if I've omitted anything.

MAP

1985/09/12
Kay Gulosh
Harmont Ave NE, Plain Twp
Strangled, raped, mutilated, “yawning ear to throat cut”

Perp shopped the victim's garage sale earlier in the day.
Neighbor observed a pink 1963 Mercury in victim's driveway

1986/03/30
Dottie Morris
??
Apartment building off Fulton Ave, Canton
Mutilated, perp reported the crime
Easter Sunday

1987/??/??
????
??
East Sparta
Mutilated, married, perp installed a burglar alarm inthe home aweek prior

2009/12/12
Linda E Smith
7900 block of Orchardview Dr SE, Osnaburg Twp
Strangled. Husband away on business trip.
Employed at Aultman Hospital

“Someone she knew called for a wellness check about 9 pm".

References:
Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community - View Single Post - OH OH - Unsolved Serial Killings in Stark County

Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community - View Single Post - OH OH - Unsolved Serial Killings in Stark County

http://www.cantonrep.com/life/x1102...ives-and-patrol-officers?zc_p=0#axzz2WXX06TdJ
http://www.the-press-news.com/local...-linda-smith-being-investigated-as-a-homicide
http://www.cantonrep.com/news/x1669...found-dead-in-apparent-homicide#axzz2WXX06TdJ

I've compiled information provided by Min, the former detective, and what MSM is available, on five murders. I had trouble posting a table earlier, so I'm just going wing it. I think if we can comlete the picture on these five murders, it will make it easier to identify others. It's not much, so please let me know if I've omitted anything.

1985/09/12
Kay Gulosh
Harmont Ave NE, Plain Twp
Strangled, raped, mutilated, “yawning ear to throat cut”

Killer shopped the victim's garage sale earlier in the day.
Neighbor observed a pink 1963 Mercury in victim's driveway

1986/03/30
Dottie Morris
??
Apartment building off Fulton Ave, Canton
Mutilated, killer reported the crime
Easter Sunday

1987/??/??
????
??
East Sparta
Mutilated, married, killer installed a burglar alarm inthe home aweek prior

2009/12/12
Linda E Smith
7935 Orchardview Dr SE, Osnaburg Twp
Strangled. Husband away on business trip.
Employed at Aultman Hospital

“Someone she knew called for a wellness check about 9 pm".

????
??
?????
[FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot] Killed like the [/FONT][/FONT]
others
Woman hired him to spread mulch. LE found a check victim made out to the killer as payment for the work

References:

http://www.cantonrep.com/life/x1102...ives-and-patrol-officers?zc_p=0#axzz2WXX06TdJ
http://www.the-press-news.com/local%20news/2009/12/30/death-of-linda-smith-being-investigated-as-a-homicide
http://www.cantonrep.com/news/x1669...found-dead-in-apparent-homicide#axzz2WXX06TdJ

Wait a check made out to FIL or unknown to everyone except police

The check info I gave is regarding Linda's murder. I'm sorry it it all gets so confusing over different pages. I'll type up everything I know for a fact if it helps. Everything else is just speculation on our part and the LE we've been in contact with.

Kay E. Gulosh
Death: 9-12-1985
Info: FIL had shopped at the garage sale earlier in the day with my husband. Husband spotted a drafting table he wanted and FIL said he'd come back for it. Later in the afternoon a neighbor spotted a '63 pink Mercury parked in the driveway of victim. Victim was strangled, raped and mutilated with a "yawning ear to throat cut" and was posed. The victims grandchild was left in the playpen unharmed. Husband still has the drafting table that he had wanted to begin with.

Dottie Morris?(Name given by FIL)
Death: Easter Sunday 3-30-1986
Location: Back apartment in an apartment building on the corner of Fulton Ave and Wertz in Canton, OH. Near the Football Hall of Fame.
Info: Dottie worked in a bar or lounge. FIL referred to her as a "bar *****". She had asked my FIL to help her move out of her apartment that Sunday. FIL took my husband with him who was 8 at the time in a U-Haul truck. FIL told husband to wait in the truck while he went and helped victim pack. Husband got fidgety and bored and decided to walk upstairs to the apartment to use the bathroom. Husband opened the door to find victim's body gruesomely attacked and bloody lying on the couch. She was raped with a coke bottle that was still in the body. FIL was nowhere in site. Once FIL did appear from a room in the apartment he spotted my husband, acted surprised and sent him back downstairs. A few minutes later he came back downstairs and took my husband home. From the house he left to go back to the scene and then called 911.

Victim's name is unknown
age is unknown but assumed to be middle aged and married.
Location: East Sparta, OH. This is a very tiny little town in a rural area of Stark CO.
Info: At some point in this year FIL installed an alarm system for Victim through EAS security systems. The day of the murder FIL took my husband with him (again) stating that there was a problem with the system and he needed a "little guy" to go up in the attic crawl space to reach where some of the wires were installed. Husband says that the victim did let them in so the problem was probably true. He was sent up to the attic. Husband says he heard a lot of banging around but didn't think anything of it since he was 9 and thought maybe his dad was using a hammer or something. FIL later called him down and they left through the garage side door. Husband said that he noticed his dad using a cloth to open the doors and a cloth to punch in the numbers on the alarm pad. The victim was mutilated, raped and strangled and posed like the first two victims.

Linda E. Smith
Death: 12-12-2009
Info: FIL was hired by victim to spread some mulch around the house and to do some electrical wiring in the house. LE knows this because they found a check that was being written out to FIL in the victim's home. Victim was strangled, mutilated, raped and posed the same as the 3 victims in the 80's. Victim was also a long time employee of Aultman Hospital just like his ex-wife (my MIL). Someone asked for a wellness check from police when victim could not be reached by 9PM the next day. FIL told us this past month that LE are now looking at a neighbor who committed suicide shortly after this death as a possible suspect. Victim lived less than 3 miles from FIL and ourselves.

FIL was questioned on all of these murders. According to LE everything they had on him was only circumstantial and there was nothing concrete to hold him to the murders.

FIL was formerly incarcerated in Leavenworth Prison for the murder of a taxi driver in Topeka,KS at the age of 18 in 1968. He served 18 years on a life sentence.

FIL was incarcerated again for felony assault against a business partner in 1998. He served from 1998 - 2003.

Any other quick info you'd like me to add, just ask and I'll try to keep it all compacted up. Remember that this is only the facts I know of and DOES NOT contain any information about the "hits" that he has done for the Youngstown crime family. That would take longer to list than I can imagine and I wouldn't even be able to quess the number other than over 50 since I met my husband 12 years ago.

Oh wow.... Okay. So I keep wondering, why haven't the police done anything? What are they waiting for / needing to put him away?
You have to read throught Min's posts, especially near the beginning, like posts 7 and 8.

This is great info, Min. All of those little details can be very helpful. For instance, when I was searching for Kay's name, the key was "garage sale". Without that detail, I doubt I would have the article.

I can edit and update that post later if additional information has to be added. That way we can keep it together without having multiple versions.

It's okay! I know this has all got to be starting to sound muddled and confusing and it's so hard to keep facts straight in a case like this. I know I wouldn't be able to if I were not living it every day.

I also want to apologize if I seem to be coming off so short or snippy. I really am not meaning to at all! You have no idea how much this site has been a blessing to me and my husband. It's feels good to know that we are not alone in this fight and that other's care as much as we do.

There is so much I cannot say simply for the safety of my 3 children. If we had no children then we'd be blasting every inch of info we have to every media source that existed and our safety be d*mned! But I'd die if something was ever done to my children and it was because I wasn't being as careful as I could. We just keep telling ourselves that before we die we want to be able to give these families closure. Even if that means having to say "I know he wasn't convicted, but WE know who did it.".

Min, just one question if you don't mind. This post...I know you said the mulch was Linda, but was there another crime in 2011-2012? TIA if you can answer. :)

This was about 2 years ago.She had hired him to spread mulch around her house and do some handy-man work. She was found dead just like the others. The police found a check written out to pay him and so they had proof he had been there. He was never even brought in for questioning. It was shortly after that murder that we were told to move away and that they would no longer be working with us. He is still living in the same home. We do not have contact with him since he threatened my life but we do live in fear that he could come after me or my husband at any time.

Min, just one question if you don't mind. This post...I know you said the mulch was Linda, but was there another crime in 2011-2012? TIA if you can answer. :)

Not that I'm aware of. The mulch was Linda and he was also doing minor electrical work for her. I may have typed in a wrong date somewhere in here.

Min, did I read that right? 50 hit murders since you met your husband?

Yes. He likes to brag about them a lot. In fact, when we ran into him not long ago.........the first thing he started telling us what about 2 recent "jobs" he had done the previous week. Now, could he be just BSing us? Sure, I suppose so. But with everything else I know about him and just how much he enjoys killing, that could well be an even higher number.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Slowcrow
Back