Identified! OK - Beckham Co, LIVING Male Toddler, May be named "Angel Damein Guzman" 22 Feb 2019

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves

Gardener1850

Timeline Guru (Still Remembering Cupcake)
Reaction score
Unidentified Person / NamUs #UP58434

Hair Color Blond/Strawberry
Eye Color Brown

Estimated Age Group: Infant
Height: 2' 10"-3' 2"(34-38 inches) , Estimated
Weight: 35-40 lbs, Estimated

Circumstances

Type: Unidentified Living
Date Found: February 22, 2019
NamUs Case Created: July 1, 2019

Location Found Map
General Location -- Erick, Oklahoma
Beckham County

Circumstances of Recovery
Unidentified toddler. Possible name Angel Damein Guzman.

The National Missing and Unidentified Persons System (NamUs)

How weird is this?

I used to teach pre-K, he looks close to 4 -- his pants don't indicate a diaper & he looks slender.

So we don't know much. At all.

I used Contact Us, asked if there any news & included the link to this little guy's NAMUS page.

Interstate 40 goes through Erick, this child could be from anywhere. If found near the Interstate, his location may indicate his direction of travel?

(BTW, Angel Guzman was portrayed by Lou Diamond Phillips in Stand & Deliver!)

ETA: correct Interstate number

Last edited:
They added some photos of him since I posted the thread.

Original
Original

The National Missing and Unidentified Persons System (NamUs)

Last edited:
Last edited:
Oh, bother, and that's Contact Us on the local newspaper's website.

Couldn't get a search back to February to work, either.

Welcome to The Beckham County Record | The Beckham County Record

Route 66 passes through Erick, Sayre, and El Reno. This is the beginning of the West.

If the child was found on the south side of I-40, I expect he's missing in Texas, New Mexico, Arizona, Nevada, or California. If he was found on the north side, well, somewhere east/northeast.

JMHO YMMV

I’m somewhat surprised this is only being released now. Specifically because it involves a child. I saw the article on social media and have been looking through newspaper articles. Nothing about this boy. The only thing remotely close to the details released here was a story of a woman arrested in Texas for abandoning her 4 year old son at a warehouse is Mexico. I remembered I40 runs from Oklahoma City directly to Amarillo, TX. Erick, Oklahoma is just a stone’s throw across the TX/OK state line on I40 inside OK. From Amarillo, Interstate 27/Highway 87 runs directly south and leads to several main thoroughfares connecting larger cities in Texas and almost a straight shot to the TX/Mexico border.

I’ll link the story of the woman I mentioned from the original article I found and just a few stories similar to that, of children being abandoned near the US/Mexican border.

One thing I wondered when I first saw the story of the boy found in Erick, was how they came up with the name “Angel Damein Guzman”, which is not the typical spelling of “Damian”. That may just be a spelling error, I don’t know. Point being, one article I found about a 3 year old found near the border, actually had his name and phone numbers written inside of his shoes. That would be one explanation of how authorities came up with that name for the boy in Erick. After reading and recalling several instances where children of Mexican/Guatemalan/Honduran/Costa Rican etc. decent are either sent with groups attempting to cross the border into the US or actually abandoned somewhere inside the US, it makes a lot of sense. One of the articles also references a 6 year old boy found in Arizona who had with him a handwritten note written in Spanish, “I am looking for my mother”.

I realize these stories are likely all mutually exclusive but considering he has gone almost 6 months without being identified, I think it’s possible his story is very similar to that of these other children. I probably wouldn’t have considered it right off had I not come across the story of the woman from Texas.

Just some of my initial thoughts!

Texas Woman Abandoned 4 yr old in Mexico:
Texas police arrest mom of boy, 4, found abandoned on U.S.-Mexico border

El Paso mother of boy found alone in Juarez faces additional charges

3 YO found with name/numbers written in shoes:
https://www.google.com/amp/s/beta.washingtonpost.com/nation/2019/04/24/border-patrol-finds-crying-year-old-left-cornfield-with-his-name-phone-number-written-his-shoes/?outputType=amp

6 YO found with handwritten note:
'Oh, God': Melania Trump reacts to photo of migrant boy left alone with note in desert

•MMcG•

ETA: The date which the boy was found in Mexico (22FEB2017) also caught my eye, although it’s completely unrelated. Just a little ironic.

Attachments

• 54C929CB-359B-46C0-9634-76DD1988F6A9.jpeg
    54C929CB-359B-46C0-9634-76DD1988F6A9.jpeg
    135.4 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:
...I used to teach pre-K, he looks close to 4 -- his pants don't indicate a diaper & he looks slender...
I agree, this boy looks much closer to 4!

Oh, bother, and that's Contact Us on the local newspaper's website.

Couldn't get a search back to February to work, either.

Welcome to The Beckham County Record | The Beckham County Record

Route 66 passes through Erick, Sayre, and El Reno. This is the beginning of the West.

If the child was found on the south side of I-40, I expect he's missing in Texas, New Mexico, Arizona, Nevada, or California. If he was found on the north side, well, somewhere east/northeast.

JMHO YMMV

Didn’t mean to step on toes, we must have been replying at the same time! ;)

•MMcG•

Another thought I had pertaining to the proximity of Erick, OK. to Texas. Whoever decided to leave him in such a random small town may have been from Texas and rightly assumed that taking him across state lines would prevent or prolong authorities from making the connection. Interagency communication has come along way in the last several decades but I can see how someone would rationalize that decision.

JMOO

I’m not sure if anyone else has seen it and I’m still trying to get clarification on exactly who they’re referencing, but Beckham County SO posted a somewhat cryptic status on their FB page (I’m not positive in the rules of posting links) addressing a juvenile who was entered into NamUs today...I’ll be glad to quote and link the status if allowed or it should be relatively easy to find!

•MMcG•

You can link to official facebook pages @MadMcGoo .

Does the boy speak?

Thank you! I’m only assuming that he speaks but it appears there is more to the story than initially released. It’s still a bit strange to me but I may be missing something!

•MMcG•

ETA: 2nd link. I’m not on my desktop, so hopefully those links work. It is on the Beckham County Sheriff’s Office official page

Thank you McGoo! Both links don't work for me unfortunately, but maybe others can try them. I often have problems with facebook.

Thank you McGoo! Both links don't work for me unfortunately, but maybe others can try them. I often have problems with facebook.
I’m certain it is a problem on my end ;) I’m not familiar with posting links via mobile phone. Hopefully you’re able to find it through searching for the SO’s site!

I’m somewhat surprised this is only being released now. Specifically because it involves a child. I saw the article on social media and have been looking through newspaper articles. Nothing about this boy. The only thing remotely close to the details released here was a story of a woman arrested in Texas for abandoning her 4 year old son at a warehouse is Mexico. I remembered I40 runs from Oklahoma City directly to Amarillo, TX. Erick, Oklahoma is just a stone’s throw across the TX/OK state line on I40 inside OK. From Amarillo, Interstate 27/Highway 87 runs directly south and leads to several main thoroughfares connecting larger cities in Texas and almost a straight shot to the TX/Mexico border.

I’ll link the story of the woman I mentioned from the original article I found and just a few stories similar to that, of children being abandoned near the US/Mexican border.

One thing I wondered when I first saw the story of the boy found in Erick, was how they came up with the name “Angel Damein Guzman”, which is not the typical spelling of “Damian”. That may just be a spelling error, I don’t know. Point being, one article I found about a 3 year old found near the border, actually had his name and phone numbers written inside of his shoes. That would be one explanation of how authorities came up with that name for the boy in Erick. After reading and recalling several instances where children of Mexican/Guatemalan/Honduran/Costa Rican etc. decent are either sent with groups attempting to cross the border into the US or actually abandoned somewhere inside the US, it makes a lot of sense. One of the articles also references a 6 year old boy found in Arizona who had with him a handwritten note written in Spanish, “I am looking for my mother”.

I realize these stories are likely all mutually exclusive but considering he has gone almost 6 months without being identified, I think it’s possible his story is very similar to that of these other children. I probably wouldn’t have considered it right off had I not come across the story of the woman from Texas.

Just some of my initial thoughts!

Texas Woman Abandoned 4 yr old in Mexico:
Texas police arrest mom of boy, 4, found abandoned on U.S.-Mexico border

El Paso mother of boy found alone in Juarez faces additional charges

3 YO found with name/numbers written in shoes:
https://www.google.com/amp/s/beta.washingtonpost.com/nation/2019/04/24/border-patrol-finds-crying-year-old-left-cornfield-with-his-name-phone-number-written-his-shoes/?outputType=amp

6 YO found with handwritten note:
'Oh, God': Melania Trump reacts to photo of migrant boy left alone with note in desert

•MMcG•

ETA: The date which the boy was found in Mexico (22FEB2017) also caught my eye, although it’s completely unrelated. Just a little ironic.

This is a very possible scenario. Although he doesn't look Hispanic to me, but he very well could be. Good thinking!!!

Just so we don't get too caught up in age, he could be closer to 5 or even 6. My youngest was a tiny little dude, still is, and was often thought to be much younger than he was. This case popped up on several social media sites last night, and it's so strange.

Going by the name, could they be trying to reunite him with parents? Was he a kid who was brought across the border and separated at some point, then homed with a family? Long shot, but who knows.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cheeseDreams
Back