Omaha Double Murder #2

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Just watched the 10PM news on KMTV, this was one of the lead stories. A reporter standing outside the Hunter home stated that unnamed soures in OPD are telling him 'We're close now..' The report also stated the Calgary cops are indeed trying to locate him actively. Lots of pictures of Tom and Shirlee...

If this is the killer, it would make sense that Tom would have allowed him into the house from probably meeting him through his father at some point in the time he was at CU.
It does sound like they are closing in. I hope he doesn't escape out of the North America.

My heartfelt sympathy to the families and friends of Shirley and Tom....and prayers for justice and some closure as well.
I am a Canadian and Albertan and following this story a bit obsessively. There are news updates here every few hrs and each one is more and more alarming. This story isn't just a story to me, but deeply personal and an everyday part of my life.
If there are any Canadian links that could be useful please let me know?
Here are the late news from one station here.
A few minutes ago the Calgary Major Crimes Unit issued a release that if any officers come across him on patrol they are to use extreme caution in approaching him.

http://www.globaltvcalgary.com/Pathologist+qualifications+scrutinized/4206721/story.html

http://www.globaltvcalgary.com/Pathologist+qualifications+scrutinized/4206721/story.html

It's been a year, maybe two since I've visited this thread (how did life get so hectic and time pass so quickly??? lol), but as soon as I heard the news I stopped in to see what info you guys had - Snick and YD I'm so glad you are still on top of it! and everyone else posting great info too!

I have one question - it was a Honda CRV or similiar SUV, with out of state plates. those arent common rental cars so I am curious to know what kind of car MB owned or had access to in 2008. Does anyone have access to motor vehicle dbases to see if there is a connection?

The composite is a dead ringer for him, in my opinion. The strong features always struck me and as soon as I saw his pic, those same strong features jumped out. amazing!

Thanks again for all of the great information - you guys rock!!

I am a doctor and have read this thread. I can only address the questions raised about training:

1. First of all, the articles say he graduated from medical school in Russia in 1990. Ehhhhh...............what did he do in between 1990 and 2005?
It would not be uncommon for someone coming from another country to need time before starting a residency - learning the language, getting papers in order etc.Or there may have been training in the country of origin. There can be lots of reasons.

2. I don't know if you can carry over your time spent at a residency at another school? Yes, as long as the first school is accredited, the time spent there can carry over to another program.

3. I don't know if you can get your residency when you're an asst. ME??? Assistant ME's can be residents - in that case, they may be the person who takes the initial information about a crime, but will not make any final determinations.

dontknow - i have a few questions if you would be so kind to answer them.

is it common/normal to switch medical schools midway thru a program?
is it common/normal to switch residency programs midway thru?

If someone did switch schools, what would be typical reasons? would it be hard to get into a 2nd school, if you were already into one program? UNMC and Creighton are both in Omaha, so it's not like a need to relocate would be a valid reason for quitting one school and going to another.

Same two questions for the residency.

Any insight you can provide would be appreciated because I am really puzzled by all of the school and program jumping.

I don't think I have ever posted in this thread but have followed it very closely since I don't live too far from Omaha. Wow....I have to say that I was starting to honestly think this crime would never be solved. I am so glad that there is a new lead. I also think that the composite sketch is a dead ringer for this man.

Hopefully the families will soon get some answers.

Welcome to all of new posters! Thank you for joining the discussion!

I saw this article before this latest news about MB came to light. I am posting it in hopes that MB's photo has been distributed to the border patrol guards.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/41378701/ns/world_news/

I was just thinking about where this guy might flee. What would be the chances of him attempting to flee via Alaska? I don't know how difficult that would be to do but this guy made 300,00 dollars per year so it may not be too 'out there' for him to try and charter private transportation back to Russia.

Just thinking out loud. MOO

wm

I had followed this case in the beginning, but I hadn't commented because I couldn't add to the discussion. Frankly, I was stumped. I had some ideas, but nothing really, as there were no names to go along with the suspicions and honestly, no facts.

Going back through the first part of the thread #1 of this case, which was begun by out own Snick1946, I was reminded of a few things that could be relevant to some of what has popped up the past day or so.

1.The vehicle the suspicious person was driving that day, had an out of state license plate, but the witness couldn't read what state.

The person who's name is being brought up at this time, Dr. MB, at the time of the murders was living in Pittsburgh. So he MAY have been driving a car with Pa plates.

2. a.The person that's being discussed now, Dr. MB, worked for 2 1/3 years towards his residency and then moved on to another job, and or changed his mind as to his ultimate goal.

b. At the time of the murders, Dr. William Hunter directed the Pathology Residency Program at Creighton and had been MB's instructor or whatever it was called, and Dr. Claire Hunter was the associate program director for evaluation and credentialing in the Department of Medicine, in which I believe she would be the final say on if someone met qualifications to move on with their medical career.

c. It was stated in previous posts, RUMOR, that the Hunters had a Russian friend and MB is Russian.

IF MB was actually, in addition to be a student or up and coming doctor, why would he leave before he got his residency credentials? I mean if they were friends and he was a good doctor, he would have been almost assured a good reference from the Hunters.

3. And last but not least, at the time of the double murder, it was the nail-biting week when the up and coming doctors at Crieghton, were awaiting their responses to hospitals, where they were applying to further their career, after finishing their residency. Their acceptance was dependant on their individual evaluation and recommendation from the staff at Creighton, which included Dr. Claire Hunter's stamp of approval.

I don't recall which article it was from yesterday, so through the last few pages of this thread, I saw a statement by Dr. William Hunter about the person being discussed, Dr. MB, and his words about the qualifications or type of resident MB was sounded so,..................benign, at least to me. It was something like he was 'acceptable' (NOT exact word), and he was a solid resident, or something like that. "Acceptable" (not exact word)?

Then MB moves onto Canada and says he got his 'residency' from Nebraska?

I'm still not quite clear on just exactly when OPD went to Canada to question MB. But it was stated in one article it was recently and others it said some time ago. It was also said in the articles, that OPD went up to Canada on a 'tip.' The 'tip' must have been interesting for the OPD to finance detectives to fly all the way to Canada.

Something is not right. Or at the least, warrant LE to dig deeper.

JMHO
fran

This is interesting:

[ame="http://www.websleuths.com/forums/showpost.php?p=3315774&postcount=144"]Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community - View Single Post - Omaha double murder[/ame]

"The Hunters and other Creighton faculty provided detectives with the names of a half dozen former medical residents and students who may have left the university disgruntled, Bill Hunter said. Police tracked residents to locations as far away as Mexico and Canada, he said."

fran, Thanks for linking that post with the OWH article. It answers alot of questions that we have pondered recently.

1) Shirlee usually wrapped up her work by 4:30 pm.

2) Tom's game system was an x-box.

You are a great researcher. Thanks for all your help!

wm

My heartfelt sympathy to the families and friends of Shirley and Tom....and prayers for justice and some closure as well.
I am a Canadian and Albertan and following this story a bit obsessively. There are news updates here every few hrs and each one is more and more alarming. This story isn't just a story to me, but deeply personal and an everyday part of my life.
If there are any Canadian links that could be useful please let me know?
Here are the late news from one station here.
A few minutes ago the Calgary Major Crimes Unit issued a release that if any officers come across him on patrol they are to use extreme caution in approaching him.

Thanks and welcome! I have an internet radio and have been listening for updates on your local media. AM 660 in Calgary had coverage Tuesday evening but I have been listening to their newscasts off and on since and now hear nothing about this story. What news outlets in Calgary are covering this story?
The fallout on this will be interesting- how did a man with apparently bogus credentials get a Provencial job with such responsibility? This guy must be a real con artist.
We had an ME here in Nebraska that was falsifying evidence, he is now serving time.

I was re-reading the articles posted thus far and noticed that MB spent time in British Columbia. I wonder if he was there during the missing block of time for 1990 to 2005.

He sure traveled around and transferred alot!

IMO, this is a red flag. Universities enjoy a veil of privacy for they have their own police force and handle disciniplary actions 'in house'. Troubled students are many times reprimanded by the review board for their actions by suspension or expulsion. I think the review board could/do encourage troubled students that their university program is 'just not for them' and they should consider other options. Then the board gives a glowing recommendation for the troubled student in the transfer request. Now someone elses problem.

This is all MOo based on following a few cases, one of which changed laws in NC and allows students discinplinary records to be shared amongst colleges in the UNC university system.

On the other hand, maybe he skipped around so often to avoid the system catching up with him. There sure is some conflicting information. My poor head!!!!!

JMO

wm

You Know What? (Don't take this the wrong way snick as it is not directed toward you at all.)

I'll bet Shirlee would be mortified at that pic of her with her cleaning kerchief on her head. Of all pics, this one is plastered on the news. I would be ticked off if I were her.

Certainly there are more file photos which capture this pretty lady in a more favorable light. For goodness sake, have some respect.

Rant over...nothing to see here...everybody move on...Moo and all that jazz.

wm

I know what you mean, it bothers me too. That is the photo the FBI uses on their web site writeup. I would guess that maybe they want to depict her as she would have looked while at work. It's too bad it has gone viral.
This was a truly beautiful woman who struggled to raise her kids and apparently overcame a lot of issues; she was making a decent living and loved her granddaughter. I believe some of her family still follow our discussion. Our hearts are with you all as we wait and see..

This is a very interesting development. There is a lot we don't know. I wouldn't expect one "sub par" autopsy to get the DR. fired that fast; obviously there is more to his problems in Canada. There is no obvious connection with the Omaha case but the press in Canada has certainly pick up and ran with it.

From what I have read, MB was one of three people with ties to Creighton Med School that were checked out. That suggests that he may have had a know beef with one or both of the Hunters. Still, it wasn't like his career was ruined by some action of either of them. He went on to practice pathology in Pittsburg and later got a lucrative job in Canada. Motives don't have to be rational.

Of the top of my head, most of the cases of "Doctors who kill" (Swango, Shipman,Charalambous, Bradley Schwartz etc) had serious ethical breeches before they ever killed. This case could be interesting.

I just found a photo of a Pennsylvania license plate with a 12/07 sticker on it that has peach at the top of the license plate. Couldn't figure out how to get the photo on here.

They do not have front license plates in Pennsylvania.

Dont know if this will work, this is a PA license plate that would have been in use at the time:

http://www.15q.net/us4/pa08a.jpg

Not sure if it fits the eyewittness description of a peach colored plate, the perp easily could have put something else on for the time it took to do the deed.

So are we back to questioning if there was a personal (Love, real or percieved) relationship between the killer (Belenky?) & one of the Hunters?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cassie.ryan18