Omaha double murder

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
No Yellowdog I have no idea who she is ... I don't think the man in the photo is Dr. Hunter is it?

" Yellowdog wrote ... I think the reason Dr. Hunter said he knew something was off when he arrived home and saw SS's car in the back drive was not because of it being the wrong day, but because she would normally have been gone by the time he got there"

I was not implying she was there on the wrong day, merely saying that was the only comment about "Shirlee being at the home that day".

Knox, can you or anyone identify the woman standing between the two doctors in the first photo on this link?
http://www.ketv.com/slideshow/news/18728057/detail.html

I believe this picture was probably taken while the Hunters were visiting Europe a year or so before the tragic events. I had seen this picture but never thought much about who the woman was, just assumed it was a friend they knew from someplace or maybe a relative. I wonder if the man on the right is Dr Hunter, beardless for awhile? It looks to have been taken in London, (Big Ben in the background?)
Knox, I appreciated your providing the link to these pictures. They are sweet and sad at the same time. Tom was by all appearences a fine boy and a joy to those who knew him. I hope he and Shirlee are at peace.

That is not Dr. Hunter in the photo. It does look a bit like him though, maybe his brother?

What does it matter who the woman in the photo is? She's probably just a relative.

As far as wether or not the knives were indeed from the Hunter home, I trust Moonlighter in saying that they were, he seems to have good sources.

It seems to me a hitman would be unlikely if the knives were from the home because as has been previously said, what hired killler would not bring a weapon with him??? That would make ZERO sense!!

Here is to peace to the Hunter and Sherman families.

That is not Dr. Hunter in the photo. It does look a bit like him though, maybe his brother?

What does it matter who the woman in the photo is? She's probably just a relative.

As far as wether or not the knives were indeed from the Hunter home, I trust Moonlighter in saying that they were, he seems to have good sources.

It seems to me a hitman would be unlikely if the knives were from the home because as has been previously said, what hired killler would not bring a weapon with him??? That would make ZERO sense!!

Agreed. These were family photos taken at a happier time and I do not read anything into them. After a second glance I don't think the male is Dr Hunter. I've seen pictures of him going back a few years and he's always had the beard. (Looks good on him, too).
Also agreed about the knives as per a hitman being involved. One thing that strikes me- if a hit then it would appear that whomever was behind it wanted it apparent that was what it was. No attempt was made to steal anything from the home, even Shirlee's cash or Dr Hunter's camera that was reportedly on a table in the living room. From what little I know, if a relative buys a hit on a family member they want it to look like a robbery or home invasion. That factor was not present in this case.

No Yellowdog I have no idea who she is ... I don't think the man in the photo is Dr. Hunter is it?

After looking at the physician photos you supplied, I guess it is not Dr. Hunter but maybe some relatives.

" Yellowdog wrote ... I think the reason Dr. Hunter said he knew something was off when he arrived home and saw SS's car in the back drive was not because of it being the wrong day, but because she would normally have been gone by the time he got there"

I was not implying she was there on the wrong day, merely saying that was the only comment about "Shirlee being at the home that day".

I didn't think that you implied that. I was just stating why I thought he made that statement.

You're probably right. It's just a relative. It was just a photo I had not seen before.

We're always on the same page, thanks yellowdog :blowkiss:

The discussion about the hired hit/knives from the home got me thinking.

Perhaps if it were a hired hit (or any other scenario for that matter), the perp may have had weapons with him in the bag/breifcase he carried but if the Hunter's had knives easily visible/accessible on the kitchen counter top, like many people do, he could have taken the opportunity to not use his own weapons which could be traced back to him.

Just a thought - just because he may have used the Hunter's knives does not me he didn't come prepared with his own.

"Omaha police released a sketch of a person of interest after neighbors reported seeing a man park his car near the home and then walk up to Hunter's home that afternoon. Hunter said he doesn't know who that man was and he doesn't recognize the sketch.

"We're not even sure who answered the door. We have two independent witnesses who saw that person walking up to our door," Hunter said."

(Quoted from http://www.ketv.com/news/18726316/detail.html)

Just re-reading articles. Answers some of the questions discussed last week.

Perhaps if it were a hired hit (or any other scenario for that matter), the perp may have had weapons with him in the bag/breifcase he carried but if the Hunter's had knives easily visible/accessible on the kitchen counter top, like many people do, he could have taken the opportunity to not use his own weapons which could be traced back to him.

Just a thought - just because he may have used the Hunter's knives does not me he didn't come prepared with his own.

Good point- if this guy was as good as I think he was, he'd leave open the option of using what was there, if only to throw off LE into thinking it was a random or heat of the moment sort of thing. Why incriminate yourself by leaving behind something that could be traced back to the place it was bought and then have LE find your image on a video tape?

Good idea, I was thinking the same thing. Maybe the killer had brought his gun but used the knives for the actual murder because they are quieter. The only hope is that the guy slipped with the wet knives, cut and left some of his own blood as many knife murderers do.

How exactly was Dr. Hunter himself cleared? I'm sorry if I missed the details earlier.

I've been following this case from the beginning, however I don't post much as you guys always cover everything I seem to be thinking anyway. Anyhoo, this particular crime, along with another one where a young lady and her step-son were killed in their home - I cannot remember their names at the moment but I think they've been mentioned on this thread as well - have always brought to mind for me a crime that happened here in Harris County, TX in 1992. In the Harris County case two young girls were stabbed to death in their home on a summer afternoon by a neighbor who had just lost his job and was annoyed that their music was on too loud. He just walked into their house and told them to turn their music down and when they told him no and to get out of their house he went to the kitchen and grabbed one of their knives and then proceeded to stab them to death while the girls brother and friends played right outside.

Tom and Shirley being stabbed in their (Tom's) own home with one of their own knives in the middle of the afternoon seems very similar to me...in that random kind of way. This could have been a neighbor who went off because Tom walked across his perfectly manicured yard earlier that day or last week or some other inane thing such as that. Heck, Tom or Shirlee didn't have to do anything at all, some neighbor could have just walked over to pass along some mail of theirs that was in his box and went off because they didn't answer the door fast enough...sometimes people are just plain wacko and unfortunately sometimes when that wacko comes out it can intersect with someone elses normally routine day. We tend to logically think that someone should have seen something or should have seen someone coming and going, especially in broad daylight, but the fact is a neighbor who belongs in the neighborhood and is just doing what he does everyday tends to blend in and escape people's minds. In the Harris County case no one saw anything, and given that this guy walked from a few houses down and the neighborhood was littered with people on a summer afternoon one would think someone would have seen him walk up the driveway or go in or out of their house but no one saw a thing. I tend to agree with what someone else on this thread said about most people, including myself, wanting to believe that there is some type of elaborate conspiracy when things like this happen, however, on this one I tend to think the answer is going to be a bit simpler.

Another reason I mention the Harris County case is that although police suspected the neighbor since shortly after the crime the public here never really knew about them actually having a suspect in mind, hence us left thinking that there was no movement on the case and there were no suspects, similar to this case. The police did not have enough evidence to arrest the neighbor until a few years later when he incriminated himself. The police had kept the pressure on him, the public just never knew about it.

Here's a link to the Harris County case if anyone wants to read up on it:

http://www.clarkprosecutor.org/html/death/US/mays800.htm

Kt Can: Thanks for a very thought provoking posting. As you may have seen from some of my posts my thinking has included the possibility that this crime has been over thought: It may have simply been some unbalanced person from the neighborhood.
We aren't privy to details of the investigation but wouldn't it be interesting to know if any neighbor was particularly 'helpful' to the LE people or for that matter who gave them the description of the alleged POI? I continue to wonder if that angle ever got properly gone into. As I suggested recently I would like to know about anyone living nearby with any history of mental illness, especially a young person. I would not be looking too far, maybe a couple houses away at most.
For what it's worth the house to the north of the Hunters was up for sale this Spring when I drove by there- homes don't come onto the market very often in that area. Probably not related but everything needs to be looked at.

How exactly was Dr. Hunter himself cleared? I'm sorry if I missed the details earlier.

My understanding is that his faculty coworkers vouched for his being at the medical school all that afternoon. My guess also is that he probably was checked out using any video camera present in the parking garage, if any.

Yes!! The answer probably is much simpler than we think.

There probably was no drug problem angle, no Creighton connection, no pissed off patient, no pissed off resident.........could be something as simple as some neighborhood kid/adult went nuts.

thx KT Can and Snick for the interesting posts.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nc1995