Omaha double murder

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
YellowDog, What if one of the Drs. Hunter was involved in an inappropriate relationship outside of the marriage through Creighton and Tom found out? Or found some pictures on the computer. The reason I asked this is because months ago, I learned there was a profile on a social networking site for MrDr. Hunter which listed his status as 'single'. The signup date for the profile was 2-29-08, just a few weeks before the murders. I just thought it was very odd. However, a disgruntled student or love interest could have set up the profile and Dr H. may have no idea it is even there.
I've sat on this worrisome information for months but since we have collectively decided to leave no stone unturned I thought I'd share because it should be checked out, IMO.
If Dr H didn't set up this acct., then LE needs to find out who did, and Dr H should know about it, IMO.

Someone may have been trying to frame Dr. Hunter for these murders by doing such a thing. I gathered from the latest article with Mrs. Dr. Hunter that LE is not sharing much with them at all because all she seemed to know is that they are concentrating on computer forensics.

I dislike sharing information such as this but it comes with being a sleuth, I guess.

'R' thanks for the response to my questions.

snick, It is against WS TOS to link to MS, FB or Twitter. Just wanted you to know so you don't have your hand slapped or a TO. We'd be lost without ya!

wm

YellowDog, What if one of the Drs. Hunter was involved in an inappropriate relationship outside of the marriage through Creighton and Tom found out? Or found some pictures on the computer. The reason I asked this is because months ago, I learned there was a profile on a social networking site for MrDr. Hunter which listed his status as 'single'. The signup date for the profile was 2-29-08, just a few weeks before the murders. I just thought it was very odd. However, a disgruntled student or love interest could have set up the profile and Dr H. may have no idea it is even there.
I've sat on this worrisome information for months but since we have collectively decided to leave no stone unturned I thought I'd share because it should be checked out, IMO.
If Dr H didn't set up this acct., then LE needs to find out who did, and Dr H should know about it, IMO.

Someone may have been trying to frame Dr. Hunter for these murders by doing such a thing. I gathered from the latest article with Mrs. Dr. Hunter that LE is not sharing much with them at all because all she seemed to know is that they are concentrating on computer forensics.

I dislike sharing information such as this but it comes with being a sleuth, I guess.

'R' thanks for the response to my questions.

snick, It is against WS TOS to link to MS, FB or Twitter. Just wanted you to know so you don't have your hand slapped or a TO. We'd be lost without ya!

wm

Wow, that is really interesting WM. If that is true, anything is possible and that could also be why the parents are remaining so quiet throughout this investigation. Is the profile still posted?

I think you may be right, YD. It's just one of those many things we need to get out and discuss.
I have been thinking more lately about the idea of this being a killing for hire. A lot of it fits. Such killers often use materials at hand just to throw LE off. I almost hope it is not because it means that the perp is one or more levels removed from the ultimate killer, the one who paid for the contract. You have to wonder why someone would have paid perhaps $10,000 to kill an 11 year old kid? Your idea fits about someone feeling threatened by something Tom found out or knew. I think if that is what happened we can discard this being the act of some imbalanced person or psychotic who for example took offense at something he thought he saw in one of the doctor's papers, etc.
it puts it in the area of protection for someone or perhaps revenge for something someone in the family did. An ended relationship maybe? Perhaps someone used Tom as an excuse for ending an illicit relationship.
I think a lot of hired killings never are recongized for what they were. I recall back in the late 1950's there was a murder of the wife of a prominent grocery owner in my home town, someone forced his way in to the house after ringing the bell, shot and killed the wife then fled leaving the husband unharmed. Husband was all over the media calling for leads, etc. It all calmed down; several months later he married a much younger woman. I cannot now find anything at all on it on line. There was a double muder similar to this one in Indiana in 2006, never solved. I have doubts about that one too.
Hitmen often do not want to kill collateral people they find there but feel they have to. That may be what happened here. I also understand there is a sort of code of honor among some of them that they do not kill children. Maybe this guy was not a seasoned professional, but an out of work ex commando who needed money.

What you say all makes a lot of sense. I have a strong feeling that the killer did not even know Shirlee was in the house until she appeared in the hallway during the commotion. He was, then, forced to killer her as well.

Wow, that is really interesting WM. If that is true, anything is possible and that could also be why the parents are remaining so quiet throughout this investigation. Is the profile still posted?

YD,
I don't know if it is still there or not. It was on the site that begins with 'M'.
I wonder if their marriage had been strained prior to the murders. I thought the profile was very odd and it just added to my list of unanswered questions.

YD,
I don't know if it is still there or not. It was on the site that begins with 'M'.
I wonder if their marriage had been strained prior to the murders. I thought the profile was very odd and it just added to my list of unanswered questions.

It is still out there. On the 'M' page do a search for 'Bill' Hunter, not William, he has two profiles neither have pics other than his but at one time there were. He IDs as 'single." I think his page of the 'F' social site has more pics, including some interesting youger women. He's under Bill on that one as well.
I have been aware of this deal for many months. WM and I discussed in private messages but until now I guess neither of us felt it ought to be posted on the board. I still think that there may be a perfectly innocent reason for this- it may have been a prank set up by his students. On the 'F' page one of his friends at least at one time was Ashley Dupree- she is Eliot Spitzer's honey. That has the earmarks of a gag but if so it's sort of in bad taste, considering what is going on in his life. I'd have deleted it.
I do not believe this indicates any need to look closely at the parents for some involvement but it may suggest at least the boys dad may have some things he'd rather not have come out.
Maybe it is time some of this and a few other things talked about off the board come out. I think many more than we know are following this thread and LE is as well, Something to think about.

It is still out there. On the 'M' page do a search for 'Bill' Hunter, not William, he has two profiles neither have pics other than his but at one time there were. He IDs as 'single." I think his page of the 'F' social site has more pics, including some interesting youger women. He's under Bill on that one as well.
I have been aware of this deal for many months. WM and I discussed in private messages but until now I guess neither of us felt it ought to be posted on the board. I still think that there may be a perfectly innocent reason for this- it may have been a prank set up by his students. On the 'F' page one of his friends at least at one time was Ashley Dupree- she is Eliot Spitzer's honey. That has the earmarks of a gag but if so it's sort of in bad taste, considering what is going on in his life. I'd have deleted it.
I do not believe this indicates any need to look closely at the parents for some involvement but it may suggest at least the boys dad may have some things he'd rather not have come out.
Maybe it is time some of this and a few other things talked about off the board come out. I think many more than we know are following this thread and LE is as well, Something to think about.

I was stunned way back when I saw these pages snick, especially the FB one. If the profiles were placed as a gag, it seems the jokester would have good naturedly removed the profiles by now....unless Dr. Hunter is unaware they exist. If someone did this to me as a joke, I'd want to know.

The 2-28 sign up date bothers me though and I thought it worthy of discussion. Thanks for explaining to everyone how to find the profiles since we aren't allowed to provide links to those sites.

wm

respectfully shortened
. I also understand there is a sort of code of honor among some of them that they do not kill children. Maybe this guy was not a seasoned professional, but an out of work ex commando who needed money.

As explained to me by my Father many years ago, there once was a 'code of honor' that existed within the realms of organized criminial organizations, ie: mafiaso, where the women and child were never touched. I recall him saying that no longer exists particularily with the young 'punk' wannabes and the up and coming sons of the previous heads/leaders. It goes like this: If you can't get to the person you need to confront such as an adult enemy, you go right to the children. a VERY clear message. It's enough to shut anyone up and make all associates shake in their boots. NWIM?

I'm not implying in any way, this is the case regarding the Hunter family and young Thomas. Just shining some light on the mentality that exists on the streets today.

Howdy Snick!
well....
the perp sure has had plenty of time to chill....
I mean look at the time it is taking to figure who it could be.
Also, I always thought the Housekeeper was the target....
not sure why but just always gave that number one reason this happened.
She maybe knew something she should not have known?
I mean Housekeepers/Nannys/ general help usually know people who are jealous of somebody with lots of money...
well maybe a lot of people feel that way?
Still the Housekeeper would seem the target...
then again.. children seem to be targets for one reason or another..
I had better think bit more on this...
I have not heard how the rest of the family is doing or if any other crimes similar to this one has occured?
MO?
On any crimes since this one?

Howdy Snick!
well....
the perp sure has had plenty of time to chill....
I mean look at the time it is taking to figure who it could be.
Also, I always thought the Housekeeper was the target....
not sure why but just always gave that number one reason this happened.
She maybe knew something she should not have known?
I mean Housekeepers/Nannys/ general help usually know people who are jealous of somebody with lots of money...
well maybe a lot of people feel that way?
Still the Housekeeper would seem the target...
then again.. children seem to be targets for one reason or another..
I had better think bit more on this...
I have not heard how the rest of the family is doing or if any other crimes similar to this one has occured?
MO?
On any crimes since this one?

There was a double murder of a mom and her stepchild in July 2006 in Franklin Indiana that was hauntingly similar. Both killed in the afternoon, dad came home and found them, the works. One of our other members that used to be active on this thread was convinced there was a connection.
My understanding is that LE at first felt Shirlee to have been the target but eliminated that. A suspect in her family was cleared via polygraph.
If Tom was targeted you have to think it was retaliation for something his parent or sibling did. There is even a school of thought that computer gaming played a part- the perp being an unbalanced gamer that Tom angered online.
You have to wonder tho- it's been over 18 months. Either LE knows who did this and is biding their time for evidence or possibly they are still struggling. If the later, that suggests someone professional and very good at covering their tracks. Go figure.

What about the possibility of Tom blackmailing someone for money, they tell him they are coming over to pay him off and, instead, kill him and the housekeeper? This would mean Tom was expecting the man and let him in willingly.

What about the possibility of Tom blackmailing someone for money, they tell him they are coming over to pay him off and, instead, kill him and the housekeeper? This would mean Tom was expecting the man and let him in willingly.

YD, I have considered this theory also. It lead me to wonder if Tom was expecting someone when Shirlee was not expected to be there. I am curious because of Mr Dr Hunter's statement in his first interview after the murders.

"I drove up the driveway, I immediately knew something was different because Shirlee, our cleaning woman's car was in the back driveway. Normally, we drive up into the back drive and back up in the garage and her car was there," Hunter said.

http://www.ketv.com/news/18726316/detail.html

This statement implies that Bill Hunter was not accustomed to arriving home while Shirlee was still working.
It sounds to me like Tom was a 'latchkey kid' for a few hours in the afternoon. It would be perfectly legal for a child his age to be alone for a few hours in the afternoon. Who could Tom have been expecting? Was it someone he knew?

Another thing I know from experience is that your children will prowl around in 'forbidden' areas of the home while the parents are away. They also do stuff that a parent would never dream....make impusive decisions......and have guests visit on the sly even though it is against the house rules!!!!! I was blessed with good kids but sometimes their actions were so absurd when they were Tom's age. So ya just never know......

I am really beginning to think that LE was lead in the wrong direction in the beginning. But, my thoughts and theories about this case change with the tides.....

wm

YD, I have considered this theory also. It lead me to wonder if Tom was expecting someone when Shirlee was not expected to be there. I am curious because of Mr Dr Hunter's statement in his first interview after the murders.

"I drove up the driveway, I immediately knew something was different because Shirlee, our cleaning woman's car was in the back driveway. Normally, we drive up into the back drive and back up in the garage and her car was there," Hunter said.

http://www.ketv.com/news/18726316/detail.html

This statement implies that Bill Hunter was not accustomed to arriving home while Shirlee was still working.
It sounds to me like Tom was a 'latchkey kid' for a few hours in the afternoon. It would be perfectly legal for a child his age to be alone for a few hours in the afternoon. Who could Tom have been expecting? Was it someone he knew?

Another thing I know from experience is that your children will prowl around in 'forbidden' areas of the home while the parents are away. They also do stuff that a parent would never dream....make impusive decisions......and have guests visit on the sly even though it is against the house rules!!!!! I was blessed with good kids but sometimes their actions were so absurd when they were Tom's age. So ya just never know......

I am really beginning to think that LE was lead in the wrong direction in the beginning. But, my thoughts and theories about this case change with the tides.....

wm

I don't think the killer expected Shirlee to be there.

And, yes, kids do snoop around especially when their parents aren't home.

This case is so darn frustrating because there seem to be no clues as to who this person could be. If there is a clue, we'll be the last to know.

WOWT channel six this evening on their 6PM news segment had a feature on the OPD cold case unit. They interviewed Ken Kaginor, whom I understand is the lead detective in this case. No mention of this case but it was interesting. He's not someone I would want after me; he's deadly serious and looks like a guy that wont let go one he gets onto a lead. So maybe there's hope- they made arrests in two cold cases in the past couple months.

WOWT channel six this evening on their 6PM news segment had a feature on the OPD cold case unit. They interviewed Ken Kaginor, whom I understand is the lead detective in this case. No mention of this case but it was interesting. He's not someone I would want after me; he's deadly serious and looks like a guy that wont let go one he gets onto a lead. So maybe there's hope- they made arrests in two cold cases in the past couple months.

Hi Snick:
I'll keep my fingers crossed that he's on their trail.

'There was a double murder of a mom and her stepchild in July 2006 in Franklin Indiana that was hauntingly similar. Both killed in the afternoon, dad came home and found them, the works. One of our other members that used to be active on this thread was convinced there was a connection.'

Snick can you give me a link about these murders? i would like to get familiar with them.

Kemo, thanks for the link.
If indeed there is a connection then that puts the Dundee murders into the catagory of a serial killing. Perhaps by a drifter or more likely, someone not in this area who travels to other destinations and kills for his own reasons. I would think this would be an unusual MO for a serial killer. The man who killed in Omaha looks to have been focused and to have chosen his victims over at least a few days.
Maybe OPD needs to bring the FBI back into this case- I understand they haven't been consulted for awhile.

thanks for the link,
if any one knows of any similar cases, i would really like to read about them
keep in mind that most of our theories revolve around Tom being the target, meaning that the perp only intended to commit one murder, searching double murders may be helpful but won't yield all the possible results, we are looking for seemingly random murders in households nationwide (preferably in the Midwest)
keep your eyes peeled.

OT sort of but I wondered if anyone else saw this story.....

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,570870,00.html?test=latestnews

This Dr. taught plastic surgery at Tulane University's medical center. He was stabbed and then his home was set afire. Very disturbing and sad.

[ame="http://websleuths.com/forums/showthread.php?t=91018"]LA- New Orleans Plastic Surgeon found stabbed to death in his home 10/31/09 - Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community[/ame]

Ryuzaki, Bumping up my own quote along with a link to the thread on WS for discussion. It is not in the midwest, but the victim was a 'teaching' Dr and he was stabbed to death. IIRC, there was nothing reported missing from the home but the victim's body was found on the second floor and a fire was set in the attic for some reason.

Similarities...

1) Victim's connection to a University medical dept.
2) Stabbing death
3) No one heard or saw anything (til neighbors saw the smoke coming from the home in N.O.L.A.)
4) Nothing stolen from the home
5) Unsolved

I agree we should start with the midwest and move outward but this is the only one I could think of offhand.

wm

OT Good to see you all are still here and hope you all had a nice Thanksgiving!

I have sometimes wondered if the perp could have been some deranged person who took offense at something Dr Hunter had in one of his on line articles dealing with medical research? His specialty has been issues with blood transfusion, etc. Perhaps someone who thought something he had said indicated that he was in some conspiracy re the AIDS virus, etc? Anything is possible. The doctor in New Orleans was gay- not sure if that is a clue to follow?
One chilling thought- has anyone else who participates in this thread ever had the feeling that the killer is reading it? I do not get that feeling as an ongoing thing but have had it a time or two, especially earlier this year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kayraeyn123