GUILTY OR - Brooke Wilberger, 19, Eugene, 24 May 2004 - #2

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Was really glad to see this topic bumpt back up. As I was laying in bed last night going to sleep I wondered if anything new had come up with brooke since it had been quite a while since i heard anything.

Anything New? The posted link has timed out. I could not find anything else.

Thinking of Brooke's loved ones.

Me too, Petra. Thanks for keeping her in our minds.

:blowkiss: scandi

Bump for Brooke, still not found, and needing justice to give her family peace. I think Brooke has already been given her Angel Wings. She didn't have to wait till he was found gulty.

I think Brooke had a really lovely family. Whenever I saw them on TV I could feel their hope she would be found, and then their absolute love for her.

Tonight I am thinking of Brookes mother and father. They both touched my heart. God Bless them for living this nightmare and staying so strong. Scandi

Has that guy gone to trial yet? If so, how many years did he get? When people are caught and the evidence shows that they did commit the murder why in heaven's name won't they tell what they did with the person that they murdered? Don't they understand how important it is to parents to get their child back and to have a service and a place to put flowers? If my son murdered someone and the body had never been found...and I knew without a doubt that he committed the crime I would beg him to tell me what he did with the body so the family would know. It is just so cruel not to tell.

I agree that Brooke is from a really nice and loving family. It is just a shame that she happened to be in that parking lot and that creep spotted her. She looked like such a sweet nice girl and was just working to help with her college education. So darn sad.

Don't they understand how important it is to parents to get their child back and to have a service and a place to put flowers? If my son murdered someone and the body had never been found...and I knew without a doubt that he committed the crime I would beg him to tell me what he did with the body so the family would know. It is just so cruel not to tell.

You have just described the reasons a sick perv like that enjoys not telling anyone. It's their power trip. And of course it would admit guilt, which he probably hasn't done.

We need lots and lots of cheap cells in the desert for these perverted killers, and he needs to be dropped into one of them.

rd

I just heard on the 11pm news that man who will be tried for the murder of Brook Wilberger tried to abduct 2 other girls at the same apt complex from where he failed in his attempt, and then successfuly took Brooke a bit later:

http://www.oregonlive.com/newsflash...ews-19/1179452084125850.xml&storylist=orlocal

I haven't read this yet, so I hope it is what I just heard on the news. I wonder why they have waited all of this time to let everyone know about this? They said he will be charged with these other two attempts.

I wish they could somehow force him to tell where he put her body. I would think not charging him with these two new charges would be a good deal for him, although he's probably never going to see the light of day till he dies anyway, so he probably doesn't care!

Scandi

ETA: The news I just heard on TV is a but fresher than this article. What it doesn't say is the two other attempts happened at the same apt complex and both happened right before he finally captured Brooke, his 3rd attempt! I still can't believe this has been kept quiet all of this time. They must have had a really good description of this guy from the go-get, don't you think?

KOIN in Portland released this update at noon, and it pretty well explains things. At least we know September is when he is scheduled to be brought to Oregon to answer charges:

http://www.koin.com/Global/story.asp?S=6537137

Snippet
" . . "The evidence will show it was close in time and proximity to his abduction of Brooke Wilberger and that his effort to prey upon students at Oregon State University, at least first two attempts failed but his third attempted was unfortunately successful," John Haroldson told KOIN News 6.

Haroldson would not provide specific timelines or details of other allegedly encounters, saying only that the two women, both OSU students at the time, managed to get away.

"The victims who were able to survive Joel Courtney's efforts to prey upon students are essential to be able to link up his identification as the perpetrator (in the Wilberger case)," Haroldson said. . ."

Scandi

The trial in NM was not suppost to START untill SEPT. ??? then AFTER that they would bring him to Oregon.... are they being optimistic and the charges here would bring more weight.... ??? who knows...... but I just wish they would FIND BROOKE! I was on the first searches for her.... I can't believe it has been this long! :(

Hi Seahorselady ;} Nice to see you, and I am so sorry I read that article wrong :doh: , thinking he would be brought to Oregon in Sept!

It is nice to know someone here was involved in the first searches for Brooke. Did they give you any indication he had approached 2 other girls at the same apt complex before he grabbed Brooke? I am still amazed they held that info for so long with no leaks at all!

I wonder if they have cut a deal with him for no death penalty if he gives up the location of her remains. Maybe that is premature as trial has not been started yet. He has been served papers showing the charges, but does that mean he has been indighted? Maybe not.

I think he isn't giving up anything, so far denying he had anything to do with her. I don't think she is far from Rickreal where he was spotted driving erracticly. If he was aware someone saw him swerving which would possibly be a red flag, he'd want to get rid of her as soon as possible, and think he headed west out of Rickreal towards the coast. There are so many wild treed areas out there it would be difficult to zone in at this date. If they had used heat seeking infared from the air right away they might have found her. But that is hindsight I think.

I have driven that road many times, and there would be so many perfect places to go where no one would see you. Thank God he didn't do a good cleanup of his car! I think he worked pretty hard to get a girl and any evidence left of her in his car would be left to relive the crime over and over again like serial killers do. Stupid man!

Can you tell us a little bit about your experience searching for her? I'd love to hear about that. Thanks Seahorselady, Scandi

So is he being tried first for the girl that he tried to rape when he was caught? What part of Oregon will he be tried in...what city? It is just heartbreaking that Brooke hasn't been found. It will take a miracle to find her now unless they make some kind of deal with him. I wish they would exchange the death penalty for LWOP. Maybe he would go for that.

I don't think that they said that the other two attempts were in the same complex that Brooke was staying at. They said that the other two girls were going to the same University in Oregon.

Scandi ~ As for giving any info on other girls at the time of the searches... No, nothing was said.... but Capt. Noble did seem to think there were others at that time, He hinted at it..... that this was not the kidnappers first.

I agree with you Scandi..... I don't think he will give up anything unless there is something in it for him.... UGH! that is sad to think.....

I also agree that she is in the Rickreal area, that area has been searched over and over again ..... BUT, there is so much bare land out there .... so many places she could be... it just seems so overwhelming....

My experience searching for her was VERY hard...... this was my second search for a missing person (I help with Ashley/Miranda also) to know they are out there and you are looking for the smallest shread of something..... anything that might help... and then to come up empty...... to spend hours and hours looking........ to come up empty....... to think that this one piece of torn plastic or small piece of paper maybe could help..... it is very frustrating.... and sad.

Bobbie ~ Yes, Mr. Courtney is being tried in New Mexico for the attempted kidnaping and rape..... that trial will start in Sept of this year..... then he will be brought up here to Corvallis to be tried for Brooke's murder.
The Police have NOT said the two new girls were from the same complex... just that the incidents happend with Mr. Courtney on or about May 24 (which is the same day Brooke went missing)

I think about Brooke and her family ALL the time.... what a WONDERFUL family Brooke has.... they are all so strong and loving..... I wish them the best and hope that someday they can put Brooke to rest peacefully!

HI Seahorselady, I just read your post and was moved to tears so I just had to cry. How someone could have the audacity to do this is just beyond me, itso hard to comprehend.

Brooke's parents, and I'm sure family were the mostest. Her Dad. Oh, you could tell he just loved her so much. And her Mom. I only heard her speak once but it was from the heart.

When I watched that KOIN broadcast the other day they did say all 3 attacks happened at the same location, and they panned in on a photo of the sign to the apt complex.

Time is a lot closer now, and the summer might go fast. I don't think that trial down in NM will be a long one, as they pretty much caught him right away after it happened as I remember. I'll have to review the case.

Then I started thinking about Rickreal, and taking the road to the west, and how it goes straight for awhile and then as it curves, you are in no mans land. Scattered gravel roads and little farms, so tucked in you can't even see the house or barn sometimes. I just hope that Brooke fought him with everything she had, and I am sure that she did from what the crime scene looked like.

Her family probably doesn't believe in psychics, but if they did there is the best one in Lake Oswego, a good friend of my sister. She is called by police depts all over the country, and has been so successful it is absolutely profound. Laurie McQuarry is her name. but she will not enter a case unless asked by either LE or the family. I'm going to pray on that one! She did find where a housewife had been ditched after being murdered in the wilds of Northern California. I always go for the positive. I always will, and do feel that someday soon Brooke's bones will come back home. Either that or she has that whole area of God's green earth as her final resting place.

Scandi

http://www.katu.com/news/7658602.html

CORVALLIS, Ore. - Although Nate McKelvey did not see Brooke Wilberger the day she disappeared, he heard the scream that investigators believe was the last anyone would hear of her. It would prove to be a key piece of information.

Brooke Wilberger disappeared on May 24, 2004 from outside the Oak Park Apartments in Corvallis. All that was left behind was her flip flop shoes, her purse and her cell phone.

Nate McKelvey was there that day. When he woke up the morning of May 24, 2004, his wits were clouded by a night of partying and then the scream came.

"It was somewhat blood curdling," he said. "I would say, like a fan scream like at a concert (McKelvey makes a scream sound here) and then it just got cut short."

Scandi,

I do know VERY WELL who Laurie McQuarry is...... She was brought in for the Ashley/Miranda case... she was WAY off with them.... not that I doubt her ability.... I have met her personally and feel that she grabs at straws sometimes.....

I do hope that the summer goes by quickly and the trial in NM should not take long, it is a open and shut case..... I just hope she is found soon!

http://www.ktvb.com/news/regional/stories/ktvbn-sep1107-wilberger_suspect.c38ef298.html

snip

anew.gif
Wilberger murder suspect pleads guilty in NM rape case

[SIZE=-1]11:33 AM MDT on Tuesday, September 11, 2007

[/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1]By AP and KGW Staff[/SIZE]

CORVALLIS, Ore. -- The man accused of abducting and killing 19-year-old Brooke Wilberger in Oregon in 2004 pleaded guilty Tuesday in a different rape and kidnapping case involving a student in New Mexico.

This clears the way for authorities to bring Joel Courtney to Oregon to face charges here, within a year.

Joel Courtney admitted assaulting the University of New Mexico foreign exchange student on Nov. 30, 2004. Police said he forced the woman into his car at knifepoint, bound her with shoelaces, then raped and sodomized her, just six months after Wilberger vanished in Corvallis.

Hi IdahoMom ;}

I just heard a new blurb on the news minutes ago that as soon as Courtney is sentenced he will be brought straight to Oregon. I can't believe it is finally happening! Do you think there is anything that would influence him at this point to reveal where he put her? They did say if he is found guilty he would get the death penalty.

SeaHorse is probably right, and I bet the jury will take no time to make a decision. Without a body and in charging him with murder, there had to be enough DNA evidence of hers in that van of his to say with certainty she is dead. What in the world would the defense even have to bring up?

Anyway, I tried to get a written article from the newscast tonight but it isn't up yet. This is the latest, which is probably the same time as yours IdahoMom. http://tinyurl.com/2d2s6q

Sayig a prayer for her family tonight. It must be so hard for themn to be watching the news and here comes Courtney walking across the screen.

Krams

ETA: Oh, that was from last January. Sorry!

For the sake of Brooke's family I hope that they offer him a deal...LWOP instead of the death penalty. The family needs to bring Brooke home.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lukasmalachi
Back