Identified! OR - Elsie Baker, missing since 1959, remains found 1986, Josephine county, Oregon

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves

Red Clover

Former Member
Reaction score
Remains of Elsie Baker missing since 1959 from Josephine county Oregon have been identified!
"With Parabon NanoLabs assistance, it was discovered that the remains may be of a missing person from 1959 out of the Rogue River area named, Elsie Baker, who went missing under suspicious circumstances."
"The circumstances were deemed suspicious after law enforcement learned that family and friends of Elsie Baker had not heard from her for a period of time. Law enforcement responded to Elsie Baker’s home and found her wheelchair but no sign of her. An investigation between 1959 and 1960 was started and numerous individuals were interviewed. It was discovered that Elsie Baker was being treated for cancer and would have needed assistance to leave her home as she was mainly wheelchair bound. It was also discovered that approximately $10,000 was missing from the home. Unfortunately, law enforcement was unable to come up with any leads regarding the missing person case."

A homeowner was excavating for a septic system in 1986 when he unearthed skeletal remains, fabric and a worn set of dentures in a 4-foot grave, authorities in Oregon said. The grave left a “depression” on the ground for years before the man found the remains on his property in Grants Pass. DNA testing identified the remains 37 years later as missing 62-year-old Elsie Marie Baker, Oregon State Police said in a Friday, Feb. 17, news release.

Baker vanished from her home sometime shortly after getting cancer treatment June 13, 1959, authorities said. A nurse told investigators Baker had left the state to live with family, but friends and family never saw her again.

Her niece reported her missing in September 1960. Then a news story was published about her disappearance. Baker had been “widely reported on” at the time by multiple Oregon news outlets. One story said Baker disappeared from her home “under potentially suspicious circumstances” because she had used a wheelchair and couldn’t leave without it, but it was found in her home.

A homeowner was excavating for a septic system in 1986 when he unearthed skeletal remains, fabric and a worn set of dentures in a 4-foot grave, authorities in Oregon said. The grave left a “depression” on the ground for years before the man found the remains on his property in Grants Pass. DNA testing identified the remains 37 years later as missing 62-year-old Elsie Marie Baker, Oregon State Police said in a Friday, Feb. 17, news release.

Baker vanished from her home sometime shortly after getting cancer treatment June 13, 1959, authorities said. A nurse told investigators Baker had left the state to live with family, but friends and family never saw her again.

Her niece reported her missing in September 1960. Then a news story was published about her disappearance. Baker had been “widely reported on” at the time by multiple Oregon news outlets. One story said Baker disappeared from her home “under potentially suspicious circumstances” because she had used a wheelchair and couldn’t leave without it, but it was found in her home.
Good find! I wonder who owned the property in 1959 that she was found on and how far it was from her own home. Glad she's been identified and it was nice to see a picture of her too.

Screen Shot 2023-02-17 at 8.22.25 PM.png

The following is compiled from the OSP's documentation of the case.

The property owner at the time, who had bought the property 12 years previously, stated there had always been a dip in the ground where the grave was discovered.

Investigators began putting together a profile rooted in genetic genealogy: "... an extensive and well-documented family history, with genetic links to four distinct family lines, leading to a family of nine children raised in Nez Perce, Idaho. Six daughters belonged to this family, and five daughters all had documentation and record of their deaths."

One daughter didn't have any death certificate on record: Elsie Marie Baker, born May 6, 1896.

A nurse told investigators Baker had left the state to live with family, but friends and family never saw her again.

I’d like to know who gave the nurse the information that she had left the state to live with family. Of course, Elsie may have told the nurse that was her intention, and the nurse assumed she had. But she never made it out of the Rogue Valley alive, sadly.

I’d like to know who gave the nurse the information that she had left the state to live with family. Of course, Elsie may have told the nurse that was her intention, and the nurse assumed she had. But she never made it out of the Rogue Valley alive, sadly.
I'm wondering if the property belonged to the nurses family?

Elsie and her husband Frank moved from Idaho to Jackson, Oregon by 1950 and are confirmed to have lived in Rogue River Precinct 77. Frank filed for divorce from Elsie in May of 1955, and it was granted in June 1956. Frank died two years later, in 1958.

“Mrs. Elsie Marie Campbell, a slight little woman with tinted red hair, was last seen around her home at 4890 South Pacific Highway, Grants Pass, sometime between June 6 and June 13, 1959. State police know she couldn’t have left unassisted, since she was unable to move without her wheelchair. Yet her wheelchair was found in her home.

Officers know, too, that about $10,000 she had in her home just before her disappearance is missing.”

However, Elsie was documented as receiving treatment for cancer on June 13, 1959, at the Josephine General Hospital.

Scenario 1: She may have just passed from cancer and the nurse panicked and buried her. And took the cash. But why would she lie to family? Probably to mask the theft by stating Elsie took the money with her.

2: The nurse killed her for monetary reasons. We know a large sum of money was missing.

3. The nurse was sadistic and just enjoyed killing her patient.

I think no 2 is most likely.

Jmoo

Wonder if she was suffering from her cancer so badly that she had the nurse assist her with suicide in exchange for the money? Just a thought…

Wonder if she was suffering from her cancer so badly that she had the nurse assist her with suicide in exchange for the money? Just a thought…
Good call. But why did the nurse make up a story about Elsie leaving to live with family? And why was she buried in the backyard? Would not make much sense if the nurse was innocent and it was a (assisted) suicide.

Also, Elsie sold her car and other assets before she was missing. The nurse may have had an easy time getting her trust and telling her to sell all valuables either gor the nurses payment or the nurse claimed she put it in the bank or kept it safe otherwise.
This case stinks. I guess the nurse is long gone now. Id love to see some justice being served.

Good call. But why did the nurse make up a story about Elsie leaving to live with family? And why was she buried in the backyard? Would not make much sense if the nurse was innocent and it was a (assisted) suicide.

Also, Elsie sold her car and other assets before she was missing. The nurse may have had an easy time getting her trust and telling her to sell all valuables either gor the nurses payment or the nurse claimed she put it in the bank or kept it safe otherwise.
This case stinks. I guess the nurse is long gone now. Id love to see some justice being served.
Just thinking that back in 1959, helping someone with suicide would not be acceptable, would probably be considered murder… Which it still is in most states, I think. Probably with some help, burying the body to keep it being found out what she had done… I’m sure helping someone die would not be conducive to continuing in the medical profession, if found out back then.Also, not saying it was altogether altruistic… Maybe some greed involved as well. Maybe far off-base, but something that did cross my mind.

Scenario 1: She may have just passed from cancer and the nurse panicked and buried her. And took the cash. But why would she lie to family? Probably to mask the theft by stating Elsie took the money with her.

2: The nurse killed her for monetary reasons. We know a large sum of money was missing.

3. The nurse was sadistic and just enjoyed killing her patient.

I think no 2 is most likely.

Jmoo

How'd we hop from the nurse saying she left the state, to declaring that the nurse was involved in her murder. What am I missing here?

Officers know, too, that about $10,000 she had in her home just before her disappearance is missing.”

That's an awfully large sum of cash to have in one's house. The equivalent value today would be about $100K. Maybe Elsie didn't trust banks, lots of folks who lived through the Great Depression were wary of them.

Another thing: If the officials knew about her stash, how many others did as well?

How'd we hop from the nurse saying she left the state, to declaring that the nurse was involved in her murder. What am I missing here?
Simply because the nurse told the family and friends that Elsie left to live with family - which really nobody believed back then. And it looks like noone else was around and close to Elsie at that point in time. Her ex husband had passed a few years back and there were no children in town as far as i know. She was with a nurse who took care of her while she suffered from advanced stage cancer.

Of course jmoo but that is the most likely. Nobody buries themselves in the backyard.

JCSO says the case surfaced in June 1986 when its staff responded to the Quartz Creek area regarding human skeletal remains located when a homeowner was installing a septic system and discovered the remains. It says they were found in the ground approximately four feet deep with other items such as fabric believed to be from a dress, a worn set of dentures and two rubber implements, believed to be from a walker or crutches.
At this time, nothing is known about the nature of Elsie's death, and how she came to be buried in a remote corner of property

Investigators began putting together a profile rooted in genetic genealogy: "... an extensive and well-documented family history, with genetic links to four distinct family lines, leading to a family of nine children raised in Nez Perce, Idaho. Six daughters belonged to this family, and five daughters all had documentation and record of their deaths."

One daughter didn't have any death certificate on record: Elsie Marie Baker, born May 6, 1896.

1676887879754.jpeg
It looks from Elsie's address that she lived near Rogue River, possibly along where I-5 is now.

The property that she was found on has been referred to both as remote and near Quartz Creek (Merlin?) but also that it was located in Grants Pass so it's hard to know exactly where she was located or how far she was transported from her home in Rogue River.

Did she use crutches or a walker rather than her wheelchair?

What kind of cancer treatments were available in 1959 in Grants Pass Oregon?

Who was this nurse, was she an RN or more like a home health aide?

Let me know if anyone sees an address for the property she was found on.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dstewart
Back