Found Safe OR - Harry Burleigh, 69, did not return from camping trip, Douglas Co., 6 May 2021

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves

GuyfromCanada

Reaction score
69 year-old Harry Burleigh was reported missing at 10:15 pm on Friday, May 7, 2021 after he failed to return home from a camping trip in the Toketee area. Burleigh was originally due to arrive home on Thursday, May 6, 2021, but failed to do so.

Douglas County Sheriff's Office Search and Rescue was dispatched to begin searching for Burleigh. On the morning of Saturday, May 8, 2021, Burleigh's vehicle was located at the lower trailhead to Forest Service trail 1500, which leads into Twin Lakes.

Burleigh, a fisherman, is believed to have attempted to walk into the lakes to fish before going home.

Search efforts continue today, Sunday, May 9, 2021, with additional search and rescue resources from other counties assisting.

Burleigh is described as a white male adult, 6'2'' tall, weighing at 175lbs with dark brown graying hair and blue eyes. His clothing description is unknown, but he may be carrying a day pack and collapsible fishing pole.

Anyone who believes they may have information which may assist in the search is asked to contact the Douglas County Sheriff's Office at (541) 440-4471 referencing case number 21-2033.

184132932_3961240423960425_4831739393092801947_n.jpg

Search continues for 69-year-old Roseburg man missing in the Twin Lakes area

MAY 17, 2021
Missing Roseburg man's tackle box located along with makeshift shelter | KPIC
Searchers found a tackle box Sunday, May 16, that belongs to a Roseburg man last seen almost 2 weeks earlier.

The search for 69-year-old Harry Burleigh also turned up a makeshift shelter, the Douglas County Sheriff's Office said.

[...]

"Burleigh had filled out a form and left it at the trailhead indicating he was entering the Twin Lakes area on Thursday, May 6, 2021 and intended to be out that evening," the sheriff's office said. "Searchers have been scouring the area for any signs of Burleigh and had come up empty handed until yesterday."

That's when "searchers located a makeshift shelter and a tackle box belonging to Burleigh in the Calf Creek area."

[...]

Twin Lakes Trailhead - Google Maps

On may 4th, 5th and 6th the weather was stable and clear. On the 6th it was cloudy according to the data. What happened to Burleigh for him to make a makeshift shelter. Did he lose his gear? An injury perhaps?

Here is a map, the route is not important I just used it to pinpoint the locations. Twin Lakes is were his car was parked. His shelter could possibly have been made only a mile away from the ''Calf Creek Trail Head''.

Google Maps

Found safe!! I hope this is okay to post(long time lurker but this one hit close to my hometown so I have been following closely) it is directly from the sheriff office facebook page.

"

After 17 nights in the wilderness, 69 year-old Harry Burleigh has been found alive and rescued by Search and Rescue crews who never gave up."

Found safe!! I hope this is okay to post(long time lurker but this one hit close to my hometown so I have been following closely) it is directly from the sheriff office facebook page.

"

After 17 nights in the wilderness, 69 year-old Harry Burleigh has been found alive and rescued by Search and Rescue crews who never gave up."
Wow, thank you for this amazing news! 17 days...!

From the link:

At approximately, 3:00 p.m., a team of searchers from Jackson County SAR located a shelter southwest of the original shelter found last weekend. The search crews called out to Mr. Burleigh who responded back. He was found to be walking and complaining of minor pain, but was in stable condition. A Brim Aviation helicopter was utilized to hoist Burleigh from his location and transport him to a waiting Lifeflight helicopter. Lifeflight later transported him to an out of area hospital for evaluation.

I'm still in shock and so happy he was found alive and well, the Oregon wilderness is not always so kind to lost hikers!

I know right now they are asking for privacy to reconnect(of course!!) but I hope once he is healed and ready he will tell his story of survival out there.
ETA: MOO of course.

Last edited:

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dokkuyifyi