OR - Kyron Horman, 7 yo Second grader, Portland, 4 June 2010 - Part #14

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm curious as to what his classmates have been told. Does this school have counselors to deal with their questions? Do they know that he's 'lost'? What do these little kids think has happened? Is news being withheld from them or outwardly explained? Anyone know anything about this ????

Oregon Public Broadcasting did a show about the search/investigation this morning. The guest was asked (and answered) how the different age groups of Skyline students are dealing with it, among other things.
http://www.opb.org/thinkoutloud/shows/kyron-horman/

It is my understanding that you do not have to use your phone in order for it to be tracked.
It may need to be on? Is that how it goes?

The "ping" being talked about is the "ping" your phone sends out to nearby towers to stay properly connected to the network. The phone does need to be on to send pings.

I'm curious about the origin of all this cell phone ping talk - are we assuming that the police are following pings, or have the LE actually said they are using cell phone pings to investigate? Also, it was my understanding that subpoenas need to be issued for those records if they are not given voluntarily.

This may be a dumb question, but I'm hoping someone will explain and help me to understand: does a 'cell ping' show where a cell phone is located at a certain day/time? I mean, if I go to the store and have my cell phone in my pocket, would a 'cell ping' show authorities that I was at the store? Or does a person have to use their cell phone in order to create a record of sorts that authorities could then track?

I'm trying to understand what cell pings are so that I can understand how they could potentially be used in criminal cases. All I can think is that if a ping tracks when you're on the phone, you'd have to be a moron to make a call in the middle of committing a crime; therefore, I am sure I'm totally wrong and thus need someone to educate me! :blushing:

KC's ping report only showed a ping where there was a call or a text...in or out.

so is everyone clear?

The school in st helens is not the same school district as skyline.
The school on sauvie island is an elementary only, and not near the search.
The facility shown in the sky8 water search video from today is not a school, and it is not on the island. It is across hwy 30 from the island.

The search today looks to be directly across hwy 30 from the cornelius pass intersection.
This is the same place they were searching the railroad tracks yesterday (photo from the oregonian).
The search seems to have concentrated on the multnomah channel body of water, which does not move quickly.

thank you!!

I did a google search for the name of the facility mentioned. That's how I knew what it was and what services it provided.
Thank you I would have no idea what to look for.I'm getting a headache.

y/w Emma.. I wonder if half my posts get seen. :)
<snipped>:)

hey pdx, your input as a local is so helpful. I'd have been searching needlessly for pix of a school... I watch for your posts - nick-naming yourself after an airport helps a lot! It's like post-radar. lol.

The "ping" being talked about is the "ping" your phone sends out to nearby towers to stay properly connected to the network. The phone does need to be on to send pings.

I'm curious about the origin of all this cell phone ping talk - are we assuming that the police are following pings, or have the LE actually said they are using cell phone pings to investigate? Also, it was my understanding that subpoenas need to be issued for those records if they are not given voluntarily.

LE have not said anything about pings. Just something that was assumed.

I FINALLY found it. Google WAS my friend. :D

"Police in St. Helens have announced that a 36-year-old homeless sex offender has been arrested for the attempted abduction of a fifth grade boy. The FBI is now investigating whether or not the suspect, Tony Phipps, is connected to the Kyron Horman case." <snipped> http://primewriter.com/news-1246-headlines/?p=7265

The last I read was that the FBI was looking into this Tony Phipps to see if he was connected. Now look at this map: http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&sou...750277,-122.787323&spn=0.466671,1.234589&z=10

Sauvie Island is ON THE WAY to St. Helen's where they picked up this guy for an attempted abduction. Is this a clue???

To SusieMom (post 714):
I'm a parent volunteer at elementary and middle schools; your scenario seems right on to me. Thanks for your insightful analysis!

I'm curious about the origin of all this cell phone ping talk - are we assuming that the police are following pings, or have the LE actually said they are using cell phone pings to investigate?

As far as I can tell, this is purely speculation from posters here. I haven't seen one mention of cell tower pings in the news reports.
I'd be happy to be corrected on that, with a link to the source though.

While I'm here, same for the coat+backpack being *found* in the classroom. Since LE has not confirmed anything, I wonder where that information is from.

Well, from my long time experience in small aircraft, including helicopters, that pan out distance was not much more than one mile at most. The dirt path was also on flat ground, so it seems like it was part of the island as described by locals. Does someone have the map link handy please?

jmoo

Yes, my mistake. Someone pointed out it couldn't be the school. But since it does go directly to HWY 30 then it is easily accessible by car from the school. Not a walk for sure but a quick car ride, nonetheless.

Yes, they can subpeona the cell carrier to turn over the pings like they did in the Caylee case. If I had to place a swift bet they are going off pings. It's a very popular tool in investigations these days. I have not seen or heard any confirmation in this case of course, it's just my opinion in general.

Okay, why would LE not want anyone to know who saw Kyron at 9:00? Theories? Protecting someone? From whom?

Example: If it's a youngster and they say I saw Kyron with Coach Billybob at 9:00. So they question Coach Billybob and Billybob says oh no I was at xyz doing abc. BUT, Billybob has no alibi. Wouldn't they take Billybob and arrest him based on just the eye witness, or would they have to find some sort of other evidence first? And maybe they want to do that to protect the child? I don't know, I'm just thinking out loud and trying to figure out why they wouldn't say who saw him at 9:00? Theories?

I would be interested in the SO that is mentioned if he works or lives near the school or has children that attend there and or even has a car.
ETA: It was my understanding that he was homeless.

I FINALLY found it. Google WAS my friend. :D

"Police in St. Helens have announced that a 36-year-old homeless sex offender has been arrested for the attempted abduction of a fifth grade boy. The FBI is now investigating whether or not the suspect, Tony Phipps, is connected to the Kyron Horman case." <snipped> http://primewriter.com/news-1246-headlines/?p=7265

The last I read was that the FBI was looking into this Tony Phipps to see if he was connected. Now look at this map: http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&sou...750277,-122.787323&spn=0.466671,1.234589&z=10

Sauvie Island is ON THE WAY to St. Helen's where they picked up this guy for an attempted abduction. Is this a clue???
Are they still looking into him for a connection to Kyron.A homeless guy would hang around AA type facilities,churches,ect....

This may be a dumb question, but do they need to subpeona pings from a SPECIFIC cell phone during a period? Or can they ask for all pings from a particular tower in a particular time range?

KC's ping report only showed a ping where there was a call or a text...in or out.

I'm not familiar with the case you mentioned above but cell phones are continously registering on networks, they need to be on but not necessarily being used. That's the way you're able to use them when you need to.

So at any given time, as long as a phone is within a service area the service provider can tell you where the phone is located (the general area, not to the exact specific location).

You have to have your cell phone set to Location-ON in order for the cell phone pings to be traced to where you were located. Or, if you call someone or someone calls you, those pings can be traced. Cell phones ping at cell phone towers--so they are able to pinpoint which tower and the time. It will not trace to an exact location--for that, you need a gps feature on your phone and it will get pretty close to you, I believe about 30 feet.

hey pdx, your input as a local is so helpful. I'd have been searching needlessly for pix of a school... I watch for your posts - nick-naming yourself after an airport helps a lot! It's like post-radar. lol.
haha.. you will appreciate this story then (maybe?!). Yesterday, we laid down some gravel that a neighbor gave us; he brought it home from his work (yeah, right off Hwy 30 :(). My DH/DarlingHusband was saying how he preferred the color of it to what we already have and Neighbor says, well, now you can say you have the same gravel as the new runway at PDX (whooop dee, right?). DH is SO excited.. he's an aviation buff, so there's a result!
It's common for people to use PDX as shorthand for Portland. And I hate to see people running off to google stuff that isn't there.. save your searches for something else (like helping me figure out what's down that dirt road, lol!)

Thank you I would have no idea what to look for.I'm getting a headache.

OK, well, you had typed the name of the place you were looking for in your post.. I find that anytime I'm curious about a thing, popping the phrase into google reveals much (but not "BBM", for the record! :D )
Or, if you looked at the map (still linked in my signature, which is the automatic text at the bottom of my every post), you'd see what you were looking for and could then google it.

My personal bias is that we learn more from gaining the information ourselves ("sleuthing"). JMOO, MOO, IMO & all that.

-b06de2496f144715_custom_665xauto.jpg

http://photos.oregonlive.com/oregonian/2010/06/kyron_horman_search_attracts_1_3.html

It seems like such an adorable little school, it's so sad such a horrible thing happened there :(

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alicat3