OR - Kyron Horman, 7 yo Second grader, Portland, 4 June 2010 - Part #15

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
What troubles me is the lack of scent found by the dogs on the afternoon Kyron was discovered missing.

As a former SAR handler, I'm not real surprised. There were several factors involved that were unfavourable for scenting.

All the pix to date have shown hard finish floors, either tile or linoleum inside the school. Such surfaces do not hold scent well.

There had been, literally, hundreds of humans walking through the environment. Whatever scent was left had no doubt been overlaid by hundreds of feet.

The time delay was significant; as I recall, at least 10 hours had passed before they could get any dog/handler teams out there, due to delay in reporting, traffic conditions, etc.

I cannot recall right now if there had been rain that day. Rain can be both an advantage and a disadvantage. Damp ground holds scent beautifully but rain saturating the ground after the track is laid can obliterate it.

If the weather had been windy, that can also blow scent around to the point where it is either cannot be detected or useless (dog indicates but cannot follow).

Scentwork is a tool and a very good one, but it is not perfect. Unfortunately.

BBM
If my child had been abducted, I would do just about anything to get his picture posted all over Earth. The tabloids and news shows would focus on the case and they would show his photo over and over. If I am:
-completely honest with LE,
-my background is clean,
-my friends and family report that my marriage is healthy
-my friends and family report that we are mentally healthy
-and LE in my town is competent,
LE will know exactly why I danced on the lawn naked and they will focus on the finding my child. Getting your child's photo ingrained in everyone's mind, can help find one's child.

:waitasec: Perhaps I'm misunderstanding your post Pensfan but are you saying that if a parent(s) has a past ("past" being key here) criminal history, excluding any arrests or convictions for a violence offense of any nature, has/had marital problems or is divorced or is on an anti-depressant for depression, they can't expect to be able to "dance naked on the lawn" because it would naturally divert attention (LE/Media) away from their child's disappearance? But you can/could if, God forbid, your child were abducted? Lucky you... ~ MO ~

As a former SAR handler, I'm not real surprised. There were several factors involved that were unfavourable for scenting.

All the pix to date have shown hard finish floors, either tile or linoleum inside the school. Such surfaces do not hold scent well.

I also imagine that by the time LE got to the school, custodians were already cleaning up from the week (mopping, etc.). And teachers usually tidy up before the weekend as well.

Typically desks outside the classroom are used for individual tutoring by parent volunteers--like help with reading or math to help get slower kids caught up. I really doubt it would be a "time-out." If a kid needed that, they would be sent to the principal's office.

That's interesting, never heard of parent volunteers for tutoring. Here the teachers do it, usually before class starts. Wonder if Kyron ever had to be tutored.

Where are they rearching right now?Are cadaver dogs out there now?When does this become a recovery effort?

That's interesting, never heard of parent volunteers for tutoring. Here the teachers do it, usually before class starts.

In our community, parents or anyone can sign up to tutor a child. Yes, there are background checks. But my neighbors and my FIL (different state, actually) have been going to a school once a week and tutoring a child for a few years now. Just an FYI! :)

Looking at the public facebook page for the Island, (around 8 am pst, on June 15) there is a poster/commenter there who is censoring and deleting comments, saying people are only allowed to send well-wishes to the family.

That is beautiful, but why not have a facebook page for THAT? This is a community's page and I found it strange that it is being censored.

Is everyone supposed to stop thinking and feeling?

I don't. It's the Sauvie Island page. Not the Kyron Horman page. They probably want to keep all the negativity out. Discussion and opinions about Kyron don't belong there. We don't even know if he is there.

Where are they rearching right now?Are cadaver dogs out there now?When does this become a recovery effort?

Since we saw the divers in the river yesterday it is now in the search and recovery stage.

IMO

If they are searching in water I would assume it's at the recovery stage.

Whoa...I never suggested that this county's Sheriff's Office is incompetent. Please reread my post. I stated "if my town's LE was competent" and I don't live in this county.

IMO, this is why negative comments are occurring: LE has not cleared the family and stated that they are not involved in the disappearance. LE stated that it is an isolated case and implied that other children are not in danger from this perp. Ask yourself why only the Horman's child was in danger from this perp?

This statement was added to alter my post in your quote:
"Only the Horman's child was in danger from this perp. Ask yourself "why"?"

Please do not alter my posts and then quote them as if that is what I stated, because it is not in my post AT ALL.

First post, although I have also been a lurker for quite some time.

And this may seem so stupid to some, and may have even been posted previously:

Is it at ALL possible that an animal may have gotten him in the woods? i am unfamiliar with that area (what COULD be in the woods, how dense they are, etc). But is it possible a wolf/bear, etc may have gotten him?

Absolutely. Not necessarily a wolf/bear but cougar, coyote, etc.

I don't. It's the Sauvie Island page. Not the Kyron Horman page. They probably want to keep all the negativity out. Discussion and opinions about Kyron don't belong there. We don't even know if he is there.

I agree, I would assume that they do not want posts such as those with nasty and insinuating comments to be perceived as reflecting their neighborhood attitude. It is their page, so they should be able to edit out whatever they want to remove.

jmoo

In our community, parents or anyone can sign up to tutor a child. Yes, there are background checks. But my neighbors and my FIL (different state, actually) have been going to a school once a week and tutoring a child for a few years now. Just an FYI! :)

Anyone? They don't have to be qualified teachers?

Look here first for links to credible sources!

Kyron's Media Thread on Websleuths:
[ame="http://www.websleuths.com/forums/showthread.php?t=106375"]OR Kyron Horman - Portland, Oregon MEDIA AND IMAGES LINKS - Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community[/ame]

Multnomah County Sheriff's page for Kyron:
http://www.mcso.us/public/newsroom.htm

Multnomah County Sheriff's media page for Kyron:
http://www.flashalert.net/news.html?id=1276

But why would only custodians wear them? In that case, everyone should be in uniform - teachers, principal, administrative staff, cafeteria workers, and the students!

In which case, I might add, it would possibly be even easier to "blend in" by simply putting on a uniform. (Altho it would make it less likely for crimes of opportunity to occur). I have to say, more crimes against children in schools happen at the hands of people who DO work in the school than strangers popping in and out.

Because uniforms would make it clear who belongs in the school and who does not.

11 days, this is a nightmare. Someone has to know something around there.

Typically desks outside the classroom are used for individual tutoring by parent volunteers--like help with reading or math to help get slower kids caught up. I really doubt it would be a "time-out." If a kid needed that, they would be sent to the principal's office.

I'd love for that to be true, but as a former security supervisor for a school district, I can attest to the fact that in some schools, kids who were being disruptive were often sat outside the classroom at a desk to do their work. The teachers would leave the door open and "keep an eye" on the student. This was something I wrote up on a consistent basis, but would come across often. Also, there are two sides to the shirts that would identify employees: most districts I've seen have no policy for how to dispose of shirts/uniforms of employees. I actually was at a second hand store one day to purchase cat carriers for the local pet shelter and coincidentally noticed a man buying two T-shirts that were local school district employee shirts. Personally, I think everyone associated with any school district should be fingerprinted, have a background check and have to wear laminated ID with their picture, not clothing with ID's on them. I could tell stories that would mortify....

That's interesting, never heard of parent volunteers for tutoring. Here the teachers do it, usually before class starts. Wonder if Kyron ever had to be tutored.

I volunteer at my children's school. I often work one on one with kids on their math facts, spelling, etc. Sometimes I work with groups of kids. These aren't kids that need extra help, it's all the kids so that they can get one on one time to help build skills.

Interesting thoughts because there has not been a single negative comment about this family, their marriages, their mental health, their background, their honesty by anyone who actually KNOWS them. Only the people who have never seen them in person or met them before EVER are the ones making negative comments.

Since everyone keeps saying "people are talking" it seems that the people who know them from work, school, their neighborhood, their church, the gym, boy scouts, cub scouts, the day care center, the soccer team, personal friends, etc must be "talking" also. SO, why is it that the ONLY negative comments are coming from people who do NOT know them in any capacity? We have seen comments from the school staff, other parents, other kids that know the family well...guess what....every one of those comments from the people who were in their daily lives have been GOOD comments. This includes ALL the references to them by LE personnel.

And FWIW...we have seen no indication that LE is not 'competent'. IMO they have all acted in a very responsible and professional manner in this case.

jmoo

Amen for keeping it real!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members