OR - Kyron Horman, 7 yo Second grader, Portland, 4 June 2010 - Part #3

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
The reporter stressing that it's nothing close to normal at the school this morning. Heavy FBI presence. School busses just arrived.

A ton of media trucks there as well.

One of the infamous posters on a news article said that stepmother e-mailed the teacher from home later to say when she would pick up the science project? And that this made teacher think even more that the child was with her? Again, this is from a poster on news website, so hardly verified. But what I found amusing is that another poster said not to believe the media (as if the commenters on the site are more accurate :( )

As far as FBI profiler they can be useful not only in a profile of a possible unknown offender, but to develop a line of questioning for a known suspect. So I wonder if that is the plan, as LE indicated a "very narrow focus" last night (whatever that means...)

Does anyone know what 2-mile area they are searching today?

The science fair was from 8:45-10, right? And from what I am reading, I think it was more open-house style, where the kids go from room to room and look at each other's projects, and the parents can walk around and see all the projects. I would bet there wasn't a lot of standing and explaining, it was more a "look at the displays" thing.

The live video from the link Suzy posted, they showed the sign in front of the scoool.

It said the expo (science fair) was from 8:00-10:00.

The kids on the busses were craining their necks to see the media as they pulled into the parking lot.

That's it. Nothing new.

The original articles gave the feel that this was a little, neighborhood school where everyone pretty much knew everyone else. But from the link I posted above, over a quarter (nearly a third) of the students are 'transfers' from outside the area, I'm guessing from all over the district? (this site reads as though this is a magnet school) That means there were no doubt adults milling about that no one could really identify or recognize as "belonging" to any particular student. With an open house like this, a science fair and talent show, there were probably friends and extended family attending from all over.

29.6% (87 of 294) of Skyline's student body is made up of transfers.

Neighborhood students 207

Students from other neighborhoods 87

http://www.pps.k12.or.us/schools-c/profiles/?id=186

1:29 p.m. -- Neighbors stop by Brooks Hill Historic church, across the street from the school, to mull over the investigation. "This kind of thing is unheard of," says Jim Kelley, 50.

Kelley, who lives about a mile and a half down hill, at the end of a winding, secluded country lane off Cornelius Pass, said police, federal agents, K-9 teams and helicopters scoured the area Saturday.

"We had two odd sightings of a vehicle on our road Friday," Kelley said. Around 3 p.m., he and a neighbor reported seeing a white pick-up truck with a female driver pull to the end of the long road, idle and then turn around. Then again at 2 a.m. Saturday morning, a similar white pickup truck appeared, idled and when a neighbor loosed her dogs, eased away.

"A, it was strange to have a car there, any car there, that we didn't know, and B, it was strange to have a vehicle come down our dead-end road twice in the same day, hours after a little boy goes missing," said Kelley. "That's beyond rare."

Kelley said authorities have twice searched the deep ravine, creek and railroad tracks located near the end of his street by air and on foot.

:(

http://www.oregonlive.com/portland/index.ssf/2010/06/day_three_search_continues_hun.html

Do we know if BOLO was issue for this truck and a female driver?

Would anyone be willing to do a map with points to the school, suspicious vehicle and the child's home? Or if I missed this, could someone point it out to me? Thank you very much.

My poor old laptop doesn't want to upload that. Is there anything new in the report that someone would be kind enough to post? :D

There will be better security policies and enforcement of visitor passes. Also,
new automated phone calls to parents when a student is marked absent. These changes will be for all Portland schools.

There was more, but these were what stood out to me.

snip ~ Again, though, I think we are placing too much emphasis on the mechanics of the science fair.
jmoo

I'm not placing too much emphasis on anything. I'm simply trying to understand what took place and at what time it took place.

My poor old laptop doesn't want to upload that. Is there anything new in the report that someone would be kind enough to post? :D

My brand new MacBook won't let it play either. It tells me to download some sort of media player, but it is from a source that I have no idea of its reliability, so I'm not doing that!

All summaries of the video are welcome, PLEASE!

Thanks.

The science fair was from 8:45-10, right? And from what I am reading, I think it was more open-house style, where the kids go from room to room and look at each other's projects, and the parents can walk around and see all the projects. I would bet there wasn't a lot of standing and explaining, it was more a "look at the displays" thing.

It was supposed to be more organized than that. The parents could come in as early as 8:00 to look, which Kryon's stepmother did. Afterwards:

At 8:45 a.m. when the bell rang, Terri walked her stepson down the hall close to his class.

"He told her, 'I'm going back to the classroom, Mom,' and she waves to him and left," Carol Moulton said. "She thought he was safely at school just like he is everyday."

What happened to the boy who went missing is unclear.

Carol Moulton said the kids were supposed to report to their classes and be divided into small groups of a few students each. Each group was supposed to tour the science fair with a chaperone. Afterward, when they returned to their classes for roll call, Kyron wasn't there, she said. http://www.oregonlive.com/portland/index.ssf/2010/06/details_emerge_about_the_day_k.html

Regardless of chaos or not at school during fair, it is hard to believe that someone could remove a 50-lb child without being seen if child did not know and willingly go with that person. Also hard for me to believe than any 7-yr old these days would go with a stranger, although I know things don't stick in kids heads, but not going with a stranger starts at aboout age 1, I think. I just cannot picture a stranger-abduction in this scenario...the more people about makes it less likely to me, rather than more likely, but this is just my opinion. A stranger would not know if the person nearest is someone who knows the child and would object, etc..JMO

I wish I could find the picture that shows the front of the school, but I think what they're referring to when they say "second floor" classroom is that the main level of the school is technically the second floor because there's a basement. The main entrance leads to this main (second) level.

I'm not placing too much emphasis on anything. I'm simply trying to understand what took place and at what time it took place.

Oh, I wasn't meaning you in particular, just the general discussion overall.
FWIW....from the comments of other parents in the media links, this is what it appears the schedule was that day.

around 8 am, the school opened for set up of the projects, pictures, etc.

from 8:15 to 8:45 parents and others were allowed to roam through displays in the classrooms on their own

at 8:45 the bell rang for kids to be in their own classrooms and break into small parent led groups to tour other classroom displays

at 10 am the "tours" ended and the normal school day was to resume until the talent show that afternoon

several parent comments indicated that on a normal day, there was a first bell at 8:35 am and that school began at 8:45

I have always had concerns about 6th. grade and on being in the same learning enviroment with small children. Strictly because of the maturation process boys and girls go through causing them to try on different hats in life while adjusting to their physical changes as well as psychological. Were any older 6th- 8th. grade students tardy or absent from school that day would be something I would look into in order to exclude. I can see an older child whether on purpose or not being able to get this young boys attention causing him to be lured away from school grounds. If this has been discussed please ignore.

I'm not understanding the whole science fair thing. What time was the science fair? From what I know of them the students stand next to thier projects as teachers or whomever go around and look at each project, the student explaining their project. When did this take place?

The kids were to report to their classes and be divided into small groups of a few students each. Each group was supposed to tour the science fair with a chaperone, then return to their classes for roll call.

Heres a video of his science project

http://www.kptv.com/video/23805919/index.html

Have they said where they are searching today? Are they still searching the woods behind the school in case Kyron did go off searching for a frog or something?

The FBI Joins The Search For A Missing 2nd-Grader From A Portland Elementary School
Kyron Horman Was Last Seen Friday On Campus

8:21 a.m. EDT, June 7, 2010

PORTLAND, Ore. — Crisis counselors will be on campus Monday at a Portland elementary school where a 7-year old boy vanished Friday. The FBI has also joined the search for Kyron Horman.

The 2nd grader's stepmother says she last saw him around 8:45 a.m. in the morning walking down the hallway toward his classroom. Terri Moulton Horman and Kyron had just attended a science fair at the school. He was wearing a 'CSI' t-shirt and dark cargo pants.

The Multnomah County Sheriff's Department is getting lots of help from community members, parents and Skyline Elementary School to determine a timeline of the disappearance.

On Sunday, investigators interviewed some 200 of Kyron's classmates and their parents.

Police are not yet calling this a kidnapping. Investigators describe Kyron as a "missing endangered child" because more than two days had elapsed since he disappeared and because search efforts were hampered by rainy weather.

Anyone who sees Horman is asked to call the Multnomah County Sheriff's non-emergency line at 503-261-2847.

http://www.baltimoresun.com/kcpq-060410-missing-oregon-boy,0,5791312.story

Not sure I got all of it Kimster - said my firewall was blocking parts of it.

FBI released a new picture of Kyron from his soccer team
Several short interviews with local parents - devastated, sad, and beside themselves for explanations.

Man out walking his dog looking for clues

Several parents have gone to see Kyron's parents - they are beside themselves with worry - absolutely devastated.

As in all the other missing children cases here on WS - parents are asking: How can a child just vanish leaving no clues.

Seems to me the FBI are not calling it a kidnapping and yet, they called in the FBI CARD team. Me thinks FBI thinks this is an abduction. moo

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Backhand