OR - Kyron Horman, 7 yo Second grader, Portland, 4 June 2010 - Part #9

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
As I've been reading, I was thinking, how sad is it that we have to send our children to school in such an environment? Security cameras, some schools have actual police inside the premises, locked doors, metal detectors, buddy systems, school volunteers now paying for background checks our of their own pockets, just to help scan the lunchroom during lunchtime for misbehaviors and so on. So sad what it has come to, isn't it?

Yes. And as a former teacher, let me tell you how fun it is to practice lock down with the children once a month.

I had a bathroom in my classroom, so I figured that was the safest spot for the children to not get hit by bullets.

I figured the possible trajectory of bullets and the fact that they can go through walls, and determined the bathroom location was the best.

Just another day of teaching. But let's focus on AYP (Annual Yearly Progress) . I think that the Columbine shooters would have probably made AYP.

Something has to be done! Those kids came from intact families that were probably quite well off financially.

here where i live there is a policeman in every school. it was soooooo alarming to move my kids from their tiny village school in england to here. that was the first thing i noticed and it scared the daylights out of me.
When I lived in Buffalo, NY, two police cruisers pulled right up on the grass outside of the only entrance door. Then the kids went through metal detectors. So awful, but it must have been necessary.

The protection has to be in place for both sides of the equation, however. Not only for the children, but also to those who volunteer. The last thing they need is to volunteer and be falsely accused of something that never happened. Believe me, unfortunately I've seen this happen as well. Its crazy! I know we don't like to think a child will lie, but they do for reasons we usually never find out why. And when they are so young, there is no way to know what their perceptions are either, know what I mean?

well... my dogs' daycare has webcams up that are password protected, so I can check on them during the day.... if only the schools would catch up with technology

How will the Sheriff "know" when to call off the search? When he runs out of volunteers? When the FBI says it's ok?????

here where i live there is a policeman in every school. it was soooooo alarming to move my kids from their tiny village school in england to here. that was the first thing i noticed and it scared the daylights out of me.

Nice to meet you gidget; we have some friends in England. It was sad to hear about that case in England of the older boys who lured the younger one away and killed him. If I may ask, I always wondered why those boys didn't get a longer sentence (not to mention new identities). Was it due to sentence guidelines for their age group? If they were tried as adults or juveniles or something else? Thanks.

Sorry folks, just a quit sort of OT question, if I might. :)

Maybe the parents hadn't heard the story the little boy told last night.If they hadn't heard it,I'm sure they'd want to talk to the teacher and sub.
at the meeting tonight LE told the parents what their plans are for tommorow. That is the rugged and treed terrain on the other side of the school.

If I were a parent I would have been on the defense. Spouting the irresponsibility of the school to treat the situation as they did which only lost what, 4 or 5 hours of the most opportune time when they could have been searching for him. Those few lost hours could have made all the difference, say with the dogs. I doubt heads will roll. But we have read changes are being made to protect the safety of the students.

The protection has to be in place for both sides of the equation, however. Not only for the children, but also to those who volunteer. The last thing they need is to volunteer and be falsely accused of something that never happened. Believe me, unfortunately I've seen this happen as well. Its crazy! I know we don't like to think a child will lie, but they do for reasons we usually never find out why. And when they are so young, there is no way to know what their perceptions are either, know what I mean?

That is another issue for sure. As a teacher, I made sure that no volunteer was ever alone with a child-like working with a child out in the hall.

I never hugged a child unless they approached me first. I was always conscious of the "false accusation".

It's terrifying to be a teacher in this day and age, sorry to say.

25 years ago, I used to have a boy that would stay after school and help me. I would then give him a ride home in my car.

Talking with him, I learned that his father had been in prison for molesting the daughter ( of course, he said that she lied about it).

How things have changed! I wouldn't do anything like that for a million dollars today.

at the meeting tonight LE told the parents what their plans are for tommorow. That is the rugged and treed terrain on the other side of the school.

If I were a parent I would have been on the defense. Spouting the irresponsibility of the school to treat the situation as they did which only lost what, 4 or 5 hours of the most opportune time when they could have been searching for him. Those few lost hours could have made all the difference, say with the dogs. I doubt heads will roll. But we have read changes are being made to protect the safety of the students.
The next school board meeting will be filled with many angry people.

Maybe the parents hadn't heard the story the little boy told last night.If they hadn't heard it,I'm sure they'd want to talk to the teacher and sub.

How will the Sheriff "know" when to call off the search? When he runs out of volunteers? When the FBI says it's ok?????

I don't think they will call off the search, but rather scale it down. When the search changes to one of recovery, they will call in human recovery sniffer dogs. That is when they will jointly decide with all the info they have that Kyron is gone. Let's hope it doesn't come to that xox

Yes. And as a former teacher, let me tell you how fun it is to practice lock down with the children once a month.

I had a bathroom in my classroom, so I figured that was the safest spot for the children to not get hit by bullets.

I figured the possible trajectory of bullets and the fact that they can go through walls, and determined the bathroom location was the best.

Just another day of teaching. But let's focus on AYP (Annual Yearly Progress) . I think that the Columbine shooters would have probably made AYP.

Something has to be done! Those kids came from intact families that were probably quite well off financially.

Wow! I remember fire drills, walking outside and tornado drills, diving under our desks. Thats it. It breaks my heart to hear about children beign instructed on what to do should a shooter go rampant. :(

Also agree with the other poster who said we don't value our children enough.

Does anyone else find this odd? After all this time, why on earth would they call the parents in the school, already a week into the search, just to tell them what will be searched next? Anyone? I can't help but wonder if this is just a small portion of what was really discussed tonight, and that the big 'wow' announcement is to be withheld until tomorrows press conference.

If I was a parent and I went to a meeting the parents were asked to attend and that thats all they told me, I'd be fuming. I mean, really, what the heck?

Wow! I remember fire drills, walking outside and tornado drills, diving under our desks. Thats it. It breaks my heart to hear about children beign instructed on what to do should a shooter go rampant. :(

Also agree with the other poster who said we don't value our children enough.

Here in Oregon we only had fire drills in school. I always wished for something more exciting than marching in single file outside to wait out the sirens. xox

Does anyone else find this odd? After all this time, why on earth would they call the parents in the school, already a week into the search, just to tell them what will be searched next? Anyone? I can't help but wonder if this is just a small portion of what was really discussed tonight, and that the big 'wow' announcement is to be withheld until tomorrows press conference.

If I was a parent and I went to a meeting the parents were asked to attend and that thats all they told me, I'd be fuming. I mean, really, what the heck?

I have to go to bed, but if I went to a meeting like that, I , too, would be fuming.

Big whoop. So they are searching a new area. They could have sent a new, automated message to each home stating that big news.

I think LE needs to look at delivery drivers, i.e., UPS, FED EX, food (for the cafeteria) delivery drivers, etc. A delivery truck could park close to an entry/exit without raising any flags, not to mention a driver could come, go, and park just about anywhere without standing out or raising suspicions as people, on recollection, are more likely to recall the average passenger cars/trucks (non-business vehicles) and less likely to recall a business/company vehicle because it usually has a very legitimate reason for being somewhere. I hope LE has checked to see if any deliveries were made to the school that morning and checked out the driver(s).

Odd about the parents meeting. I hope we hear more about it tomorrow.

o/t

Young sailor Abby that was missing at sea has been found alive and well.

Yes, I think this meeting was called at the bequest of the FBI, hoping the perp would realize this is a community effort in locating Kyron and he better be holding his breath now as he WILL get caught. It is a psychological ploy to motivate the perp in some way IMO.

Nice to meet you gidget; we have some friends in England. It was sad to hear about that case in England of the older boys who lured the younger one away and killed him. If I may ask, I always wondered why those boys didn't get a longer sentence (not to mention new identities). Was it due to sentence guidelines for their age group? If they were tried as adults or juveniles or something else? Thanks.

Sorry folks, just a quit sort of OT question, if I might. :)

well, i'm not british, just lived there a few years. i don't know much about that particular case, but i will tell you that the entire prison system over there seems even more goofy than ours! i know that ALL criminals-no matter what- serve a maximum of exactly half of the sentence they are handed. less for good behavior etc etc. also the cells themselves are more like very small apartments where they are allowed to have personal items and they have a small seperate bathroom in their "dorm" i guess you would call it. one prisoner to a room in most cases. also there was a prison about 10 miles from where we lived and each week i'd hear on the news about escaped prisoners-scary stuff for me. until i found out that many prisoners are allowed to go home on the weekends and they hadn't "escaped" exactly, they just went home for the weekend and didn't come back on monday. crazy.

If the teachers saw this child eariler in the day and then he wasen't there why didn't they look into where he was? That makes no sense to me at all, 2nd graders usually don"t
leave the school premises once they arrive. High School kids may cut class and leave but not little ones as a rule. I think the teachers and the school staff dropped the ball....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
timbo1966