GUILTY OR - Mark Dribin, 42, Portland, 02 July 1999 *Christopher Charles Lovrien sentenced*

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Niner, check the dates. He has the same charges in 2020, as today.

Unofrtunately, I can't access the Oregon court site anymore - could you copy/paste the charges against him for Mark. I'm pretty sure it was just the 2nd degree murder charge. If it says otherwise - I will change my notes.

TIA!
animated-smileys-waving-002.gif.pagespeed.ce.NgmNDJ18zj.gif

From this article: Investigators said they don’t believe Lovrien knew either of his victims. They think he may have killed more people based on evidence reportedly found at his home.

“We have evidence there they may be additional victims — how many and from when and where are some things we can’t get into. But yeah, more than the two we know about,” said PPB Cold Case Homicide Detective Brendan McGuire.

Anyone with information about missing persons who may have been living under the I-205 bridge in Southeast Portland between the summer of 2019 and May 2020 and had contact with Lovrien is asked to contact Portland Police Detective Brendan McGuire at Brendan.McGuire@portlandoregon.gov or 503.823.0869 or PPB Detective Scott Broughton at Scott.Broughton@portlandoregon.gov or 503.823.3774.
Portland murder suspect charged in 2nd slaying, dismemberment | KOIN.com

Oh. My. God. No.

Unofrtunately, I can't access the Oregon court site anymore - could you copy/paste the charges against him for Mark. I'm pretty sure it was just the 2nd degree murder charge. If it says otherwise - I will change my notes.

TIA!
animated-smileys-waving-002.gif.pagespeed.ce.NgmNDJ18zj.gif
Just retrieved again:
Charge
Charges
Lovrien, Christopher Charles
Description Statute Level Date

1 Murder in the Second Degree 163.115 Felony Unclassified 07/03/1999

2 Murder in the Second Degree 163.115 Felony Unclassified 02/01/2020

3 Abuse of Corpse in the First Degree 166.087 Felony Class B 02/01/2020

4 Felon in Possession of a Firearm 166.270(1) Felony Class C 05/04/2020

5 Felon in Possession of a Firearm 166.270(1) Felony Class C 05/04/2020

6 Felon in Possession of a Firearm 166.270(1) Felony Class C 05/04/2020

7 Felon in Possession of a Firearm 166.270(1) Felony Class C 05/04/2020

Last edited:
03/11/2021 Plea

Judicial Officer
Lucero, Angela F.

Murder in the Second Degree
Not Guilty
Abuse of Corpse in the First Degree
Not Guilty
Felon in Possession of a Firearm
Not Guilty
Not Guilty
Not Guilty
Not Guilty
Not Guilty

One more article I just discovered on Yahoo news, so we may be getting national attention now:
Oregon man charged in 2 killings that were 2 decades apart
In this article it says that the charges are: 2 counts murder in the 2nd degree, one count of abuse of a corpse, and 6 counts of being a felon in possession of a firearm.
Other little facts I'm learning about him- he has brothers that they had to exclude by DNA, and he was a metal fabricator. Access to saws?

@LinasK - I see you posted Lovrien's charges for Griffin - can you post the charges he has for Mark?

TIA! I just want to see that the only charge he has for Mark is the 2nd degree murder charge - and nothing else.
The ones from the court site are listed as 2020 dates. The article was the ones who stated the current charges. I think that the court site didn't update the dates, it's confusing because they had the current date for how he plead.

Tuesday, March 16th:
*Further Proceedings Hearing (both cases) (@ 2pm PT) - OR – Mark Jeffrey Dribin (42) (last seen July 3, 1999, Portland, reported missing July 6, 1999; has not been found) - *Christopher Charles Lovrien (32 @ time of crime/52) indicted (4/30/20), arrested (5/4/20 by U.S. Marshalls), charged (5/4/20) & arraigned (5/5/20) & indicted (3/10/21) with 2nd degree murder. Plead not guilty. No bond.
Forensic Genetic Genealogy match.
Trial set to begin on 2/28/22 (at 9am) 12-person jury.

Court info from 5/5/20 thru 7/14/20 reference post #405 here:
Still Missing - OR - Mark Dribin, 42, Portland, 02 July 1999 *ARREST*

7/24/20 Update: Trial has been set to begin on 2/28/22 with a 12-person jury. Next further proceedings – special panel on 12/14/20. 12/14/20 Update: Further proceedings hearing continued to pick motions dates on 2/5/21. 2/5/21 Update: was a conference call. The only other entries are an order to appear for today & next hearing further proceedings on 3/16/21. 3/2/21: Grand Jury held hearing on Lovrien case.

*OR – Kenneth Lee Griffin (53) (last seen Feb. 1, 2020 & reported missing on Feb. 2, 2020, Portland, found May 19, 2020 in Lovrien’s shed) - *Charged & indicted (3/10/21) & arraigned (3/11/21) with 2nd degree murder, abuse of a corpse & 6 counts of being a felon in possession of firearms. Plead not guilty. Held without bond.
3/10/21 Update: Multnomah County DA Mike Schmidt said Wednesday a grand jury indicted Lovrien with the homicides of Dribin & Kenneth Lee Griffin, 53. On May 19, 2020 detectives searched Lovrien’s shed & discovered Griffin’s dismembered remains, according to court documents. Griffin was last seen on Feb. 1, 2020 & reported as missing the following day. The re-indictment on Wednesday charges Lovrien with 2 counts of 2nd degree murder (for Dribin & Griffin), abuse of a corpse (for Griffin) & 6 counts of being a felon in possession of a firearm. Arraignment hearing on 3/11/21. Arraignment hearing on 3/11/21. 3/11/21 Update: Plead not guilty. Next further proceedings hearing on 3/16/21.

There's no new information on today's hearing according to the Oregon Judicial Department site, other than it was held. Maybe Ken will know something...

03/16/2021 Hearing - Further Proceedings

Judicial Officer(s)
Ramras, Christopher, Ramras, Christopher

Hearing Time
02:00 PM

Result
Held

Parties Present
Plaintiff: State of Oregon

Deputy District Attorney: SEWELL, TRAVIS TAYLOR

Defendant

Court Appointed: CALHOUN, JOE

Mark Jeffrey Dribin – The Charley Project

Last updated March 16, 2021; picture added, details of disappearance updated.

Details of Disappearance
Dribin resided alone in a house in the 3000 block of northeast 137th Avenue in Portland, Oregon in 1999. He was last seen at the Eagle Tavern on southwest 13th Avenue and Burnside Street on July 3, 1999. Dribin has never been heard from again. His vehicle was discovered abandoned several days later near southeast 43rd Avenue and Division Street in Portland. There was no sign of him at the scene.

Authorities believe that Dribin was murdered inside his home between July 2 and July 6, 1999; they found "substantial forensic evidence" indicating a homicide had taken place there. There were blood spatters all over the walls and indications that someone had tried to clean up. Investigators theorize that Dribin's car was stolen from his house and parked on the street where it was located.

In May 2020, Christopher Lovrien was charged with Dribin's murder after forensic genealogy techniques determined his DNA was at Dribin's house and in his car. A photo of Lovrien is posted with this case summary. When authorities searched a shed at his home several weeks after his arrest, they found the dismembered remains of another man, Kenneth Griffin, who had last been seen alive in February 2020. Lovrien has been charged with that murder as well. Dribin's body has not been found.

Lovrien, who lived in southeast Portland at the time of his arrest, has been charged with two counts of second-degree murder, one count of abuse of a corpse and six counts of being a felon in possession of a firearm. Authorities don't believe the two victims knew him or each other. A photo of Griffin is posted with this case summary.

Dribin was employed as a cargo worker with United Airlines at the time of his disappearance. Foul play is suspected in his disappearance due to the circumstances involved.

Mark Jeffrey Dribin – The Charley Project

Last updated March 16, 2021; picture added, details of disappearance updated.

Details of Disappearance
Dribin resided alone in a house in the 3000 block of northeast 137th Avenue in Portland, Oregon in 1999. He was last seen at the Eagle Tavern on southwest 13th Avenue and Burnside Street on July 3, 1999. Dribin has never been heard from again. His vehicle was discovered abandoned several days later near southeast 43rd Avenue and Division Street in Portland. There was no sign of him at the scene.

Authorities believe that Dribin was murdered inside his home between July 2 and July 6, 1999; they found "substantial forensic evidence" indicating a homicide had taken place there. There were blood spatters all over the walls and indications that someone had tried to clean up. Investigators theorize that Dribin's car was stolen from his house and parked on the street where it was located.

In May 2020, Christopher Lovrien was charged with Dribin's murder after forensic genealogy techniques determined his DNA was at Dribin's house and in his car. A photo of Lovrien is posted with this case summary. When authorities searched a shed at his home several weeks after his arrest, they found the dismembered remains of another man, Kenneth Griffin, who had last been seen alive in February 2020. Lovrien has been charged with that murder as well. Dribin's body has not been found.

Lovrien, who lived in southeast Portland at the time of his arrest, has been charged with two counts of second-degree murder, one count of abuse of a corpse and six counts of being a felon in possession of a firearm. Authorities don't believe the two victims knew him or each other. A photo of Griffin is posted with this case summary.

Dribin was employed as a cargo worker with United Airlines at the time of his disappearance. Foul play is suspected in his disappearance due to the circumstances involved.
Thank you for keeping it updated. I had forgotten about the Charley Project.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Justicefornicky
Back