Found Deceased OR - Matthew Lang, 33, Bend, 27 Oct 2020 *car found badly crashed*

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Fyi

The Oregon State Police has a unit called the "Major Crimes Section". They investigate crimes that occur on state property, state institutions, and they provide assistance to other LE with major criminal investigations. This includes intrastate and multijurisdictional violent crimes, crime against children, crimes involving public officials, officer involved incidents and other significant criminal activity. This unit also administers polygraph tests and conducts computer forensic examinations.

IMO this may be what the mother of the deceased is referring to. If so they would not be investigating a suicide or leaving the scene of an accident case. They would be looking into something more serious and that may involve incidents that occurred in two separate counties, like Jackson and Deschutes.

Fyi

The Oregon State Police has a unit called the "Major Crimes Section". They investigate crimes that occur on state property, state institutions, and they provide assistance to other LE with major criminal investigations. This includes intrastate and multijurisdictional violent crimes, crime against children, crimes involving public officials, officer involved incidents and other significant criminal activity. This unit also administers polygraph tests and conducts computer forensic examinations.

IMO this may be what the mother of the deceased is referring to. If so they would not be investigating a suicide or leaving the scene of an accident case. They would be looking into something more serious and that may involve incidents that occurred in two separate counties, like Jackson and Deschutes.
Thank you for that info. I was wondering about her reference to major crimes. The question is, are they investigating just to be thorough or is there evidence of something amiss at the scene? Regardless, I’m glad he was returned to his family so they can begin grieving.

Fyi

And just to add to your excellent description of the work OSP does (which is much more extensive than most state highway patrol), I’m sure that they would not embark on a major crimes investigation for a minor reason. If the investigation started before Matt was found, it could involve something found in or around the vehicle or information from interviews the sheriff did. If the investigation started after Matt was found, it could involve the condition of his body. I don’t want to be specific, so I’ll just let everyone read between the lines, but it concerns me when someone from southern CA (or anywhere) comes to rural northern CA or Oregon in the summer to work (I believe that’s what his mother said). I’m not sure what Matt’s line of work was in So Cal, but there are fields that can be dangerous up here. I hope I’m wrong. JMO

And just to add to your excellent description of the work OSP does (which is much more extensive than most state highway patrol), I’m sure that they would not embark on a major crimes investigation for a minor reason. If the investigation started before Matt was found, it could involve something found in or around the vehicle or information from interviews the sheriff did. If the investigation started after Matt was found, it could involve the condition of his body. I don’t want to be specific, so I’ll just let everyone read between the lines, but it concerns me when someone from southern CA (or anywhere) comes to rural northern CA or Oregon in the summer to work (I believe that’s what his mother said). I’m not sure what Matt’s line of work was in So Cal, but there are fields that can be dangerous up here. I hope I’m wrong. JMO

The legal cannabis and hemp industries employ thousands of people throughout Oregon and many of those are seasonal. There is also a decent amount of illegal production and distribution and that segment of the industry also employs many people.

I have seen no mention of MADGE or CODE being involved in the investigation and those are the two drug task forces from Jackson and Deschutes. However, this would be the agencies that the MCS is working with if there was some sort of violent crime commited that evolved from illegal manufacturing or distributing of MJ.

IMO this is the angle that first entered my thoughts when hearing about this case, but until more information is released it is tough to say what actually happened....IMO

The legal cannabis and hemp industries employ thousands of people throughout Oregon and many of those are seasonal. There is also a decent amount of illegal production and distribution and that segment of the industry also employs many people.

I have seen no mention of MADGE or CODE being involved in the investigation and those are the two drug task forces from Jackson and Deschutes. However, this would be the agencies that the MCS is working with if there was some sort of violent crime commited that evolved from illegal manufacturing or distributing of MJ.

IMO this is the angle that first entered my thoughts when hearing about this case, but until more information is released it is tough to say what actually happened....IMO

LOL Well, I was trying to be discreet due to lack of information, but I guess that didn’t work. :D It was the illegal production I was thinking of as a former resident of Humboldt county in the CA Emerald Triangle. The only mention of a “major crimes case” has been from Matt’s Mom, unless I missed something on local news about it or about MADGE or CODE. I’d be surprised if we get much info about whatever investigation is going on unless/until there is solid info. JMO

Fyi

Interesting! Thanks for the information!

It was tough to read Matthew's mom's post. RIP Matthew.

I wonder if someone followed Matthew from the location he visited in southern OR with the intent of robbing him of money or contraband.

There is a woman missing in the near by Grants Pass area under different circumstances but the locals have commented on the FB page about people operating in the area that one would not wish to encounter.

OR - OR - Fauna Frey, 45, Grants Pass, 29 June 2020

Help Find Fauna Frey #FindFaunaFrey

MOO

Bend man, missing after Jackson County crash, found dead
"A statement from OSP said that a Jackson County Sheriff's deputy found Lang's body in the river on Tuesday, a few hundred yards from the crash site. The OSP Medical Examiner's Office later confirmed that it was Lang's body."

He was found just a few hundred yards from the crash site. I'd put the odds at 99.9% repeating that this is an accident. If it was foul play, they somehow caused him to have a serious automobile accident...then murdered him, then dumped him just a few hundred yards away? There's just no way.

Bend man, missing after Jackson County crash, found dead
"A statement from OSP said that a Jackson County Sheriff's deputy found Lang's body in the river on Tuesday, a few hundred yards from the crash site. The OSP Medical Examiner's Office later confirmed that it was Lang's body."

He was found just a few hundred yards from the crash site. I'd put the odds at 99.9% repeating that this is an accident. If it was foul play, they somehow caused him to have a serious automobile accident...then murdered him, then dumped him just a few hundred yards away? There's just no way.
Thanks for posting that @azure.

Initially I thought he might have fallen asleep behind the wheel but his mom's comments have led me to consider something more sinister. One thing that troubles me is his wallet being found outside the car with no cash or ID. It may have been thrown clear in the accident sequence or he could have dropped it getting out of the car and someone passing by saw it and took it. Someone posted on the official FB page that they saw the wreckage when they passed by at 6:00 am and it wasn't called in until 5:30 pm.

I'm not sure we will ever know for sure what happened but I am grateful his family has gotten some answers.

MOO

Let's say because I like to fish that I am very familar with this drive between Bend and Medford (or Roseberg for that matter). It is rugged and beautiful country. The headwaters of the Rogue (river missing person was found in) and the Umpqua are near the accident sight. Crater Lake is also close by. For anyone familar with the Missing 411 books, this is an area with a cluster of missing people dating back 100 years.

This crash initially appeared as if someone fell asleep or perhaps tried to dodge wildlife (cougar, deer, elk, etc.) on the road and lost control of the car.

When the person driving the car was not found nearby and did not call for help, things started to seem weird, IMO. When he remained missing for several weeks after many searches of the area things seemed even weirder.

Now, thankfully the family has found their loved one's body, but there are still many questions.

1. Was he found in an area of the river that was previoulsy searched?Was the body found up or downstream from the accident?

It appears that he would have had to exit the vehicle, cross the highway and then go down a steep embankment to get the the river. Very posisble if suffering a severe closed or open head injury, but probably fell down the embankment into the river, if this was a simple accident...IMO

2. What was the condition of his body after being in the river this long?

3. What is the OSP MCS investigating? When did they start investigating?

4. If this is a newer model Explorer, what does the computer data tells us as far as time of accident(TOA), speed at the TOA? etc.

5. What did the DNA tests from blood in the vehicle reveal?

6. Who had the deceased person been in contact with in Jackson county prior to going back to Bend?

Los

Lost Creek Lake is directly down hill from the crash site and very close.
I've been going through the missing retired Dallas, TX firefighter Michael Chambers threads. Just today I learned about WEBSLEUTHS much respected LOS, something made me smile when I saw your post tonight! I mean no disrespect to those who are grieving the loss of MATTHEW LANG, quite the opposite. XOXO

A body cannot be ejected several hundred yards, no. It's not so impossible that a body could land in a body of water and be carried downstream. I haven't looked at the maps to see exactly how plausible that is.

On the other hand, people do dispose of bodies in rivers. Someone might even throw an injured person into a body of water which could well look very similar to an accident without extensive investigation. Good old fashioned footprints, perhaps. Hopefully the scene wasn't stomped around in too much by first responders and searchers.

People also sometimes have heinous "single vehicle accidents" when they are involved in high speed chases. The mother's statement certainly leads me to speculate there's a lot to this case we don't know.

I believe he stumbled/crawled from the crash and died from injuries before he could make it to help :(
I think with the type of social media immersion we’re dealing with in today’s society even if there was foul play it would get out, I don’t think the family has a say at that point. I’m not sure why a family would want to keep that a secret unless they were involved tbh

I believe he stumbled/crawled from the crash and died from injuries before he could make it to help :(
I think with the type of social media immersion we’re dealing with in today’s society even if there was foul play it would get out, I don’t think the family has a say at that point. I’m not sure why a family would want to keep that a secret unless they were involved tbh
It's very common for family members not to make statements that might compromise criminal investigation but additionally they might not want to mention if evidence was beginning to suggest the victim had been engaged in some kind of crime when the incident occurred.

I don't think badly injured people often pause in their stumbling to empty out their wallets before going on to stumble several hundred yards further and fall in a river. I suppose someone may have just happened across the wrecked car with no one in it but a wallet laying there and decided to steal the contents opportunistically.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Amakur
Back