Othram - General Discussion

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Of all the cases that still need to be fully funded, this case is only $1,633 short of being fully funded.

Ah, that's one I sent money for! I hope he gets his name back soon.

In light of this new article, suggesting a bizarre Montreal cold case.
July 22 2022 rbbm.
''Diane Séguin, head of biology and DNA for Quebec's forensics lab, said the province is beginning to apply genetic genealogy in a few "very high-profile cases" in partnership with police and prosecutors, who would be responsible for defending it in an eventual trial.

"We are just starting in Canada to use those technologies, because the legal side is not really clear," Séguin said in an interview this week.''

''The technique has been used a few times in Canada — most notably to solve the 1984 killing of nine-year-old Christine Jessop in Ontario. That case was solved with the help of Texas-based forensics lab Othram, which has also helped to identify decades-old remains in Regina and Edmonton.''

''Nevertheless, she said the Quebec lab is forging ahead in using new technologies to solve cold cases.
Séguin said the lab, which handles all the forensics work from police forces across the province, works on about 50 cold cases per year.

Sometimes lab technicians retest decades-old pieces of evidence with better technology to try to extract DNA — although doing so is complicated by the fact that samples could be contaminated by sloppy police work, she said.''

Thanks to all of you on Websleuths and those listening to @Tricia's show for helping raise awareness and funding for our cases. We are truly grateful. To help, check out these links:
Almost all our cases have Websleuths threads and we always posts updates in the case-specific threads and in this general thread as well.

New case that we are crowdfunding for: Who is Fairfax County Jane Doe (1993)?

If someone knows of a Websleuths thread, please share. We were unable to find one.

Good to hear! I'm concerned this poor child has been forgotten. The case is horrific, and I try not to think of what she went through, and then her body left like trash. I also feel badly for whomever found her and the LEO investigating; I'm sure it traumatized them horribly.
The case is being worked with small break through, but with a different company.

Here is a case from Superior, Mineral County, Montana:

Here is a long-standing missing persons case that has never been solved:

Are these human remains Peggy-Jo (Cashman) Decoteau? Could she have been found right where she went missing? Montana has many missing people, but she is the only outstanding missing person from Superior, Mineral County.

If you have a favorite state, you can follow our map-based view: DNASolves US Map.

The most recent case announcement is part of our ongoing efforts to clear all unidentified persons in Mississippi: DNASolves Mississippi Map.
One of my pet cases is from MS! I’d love to see Othram involved in her identification. :)

ETA: Love the map BTW!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member