PA - Amtrak train from Washington crashes in Philadelphia, May 2015

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
I'm not sure there is a "dead man's switch" on these types of trains. I could swear I heard one official discussing the train's "auto pilot" type function. I would think that these two things do not go together???

That's my take on it, but of course I could be wrong. I tried googling the info but wasn't getting any relevent info.

As for the camera question....dang, I'm really starting to feel like every aspect of our lives will soon be subject to survllience. Not sure I agree with that. It's certainly one of the biggest dilemmas we currently face.

Regarding cameras.....Yeah, it is controversial for sure and I think that is why we just see a lot of talk about them and they never really get required in Plane cockpits. Each plane accident we see talk about requiring cameras and yet they never get required.

Same with LE as there is just lots of discussion about cameras and I dont think it is mandatory for even patrol cars yet and definitely not mandatory on body yet.

Its a controversial subject for sure and I can see why cameras are not required yet. Not sure they ever will be. The whole black box thing was a step in that direction and now with video capability, it seems like a logical progression someday. Just not sure it will ever be required.

So is it time for two engineers in each train to collaborate with each other? Do the conductors have a place in the Engine? Is there a GPS system especially for trains?

His Lawyer was just on CNN. Stated last thing he remembers is coming to and going to his bag to get his cell. From there he called 911.

Interesting that others who had concussion etc. interviewed yesterday had vivid recall. Just sayin....

His Lawyer was just on CNN. Stated last thing he remembers is coming to and going to his bag to get his cell. From there he called 911.

I do not fault him for getting a lawyer immediately. That was smart on his part, even if he is 100% innocent and the derailment was due to mechanical issues out of this control. He could easily be railroaded (pun fully intended!) to take blame for this. He's up against Amtrak. He deserves legal representation and I don't see speaking through a lawyer as indication of anything, whether innocent or guilty of neglect.

However, it is telling, imo, that the lawyer is being very specific that the cell phone was in his bag. He's distancing the engineer from the device. I hope that is true that the cell phone was in the bag, and I would guess that it is since records can be checked about his usage.

So is it time for two engineers in each train to collaborate with each other? Do the conductors have a place in the Engine? Is there a GPS system especially for trains?

IDK, look what happened in the GermanWings crash. A pilot and co-pilot set up didn't save those passengers. Now the big discussion is "if the right technology was in place this accident could have been avoided." I say maybe. IMO, at the end of the day, we will never, ever be able to circumvent every tragedy, especially when the person "driving the train" is hell bent on destruction. Not saying that's what happened here, but it certainly happened on the GermanWings flight.

I'm not trying to say that safety improvements are meaningless, yet for every new improvement there is a corresponding conflicting consequence. the GermanWings crash was possible b/c of the new design in the cockpit doors which were the result of 911. :pullhair:

Right now I'm just disgusted with all the finger pointing that is being highlighted.

I think I just heard a noon presser??? Anyone? I am a Glamma to Avery and am watching her today. She is very, very active on her 4 legs LOL I'm up, I'm down, I'm in, I'm out (Hunting Lab)

Facts we do know
1 The train had well exceeded speed required
2 The Emergency brake was working
3 That's about it for now

I do not fault him for getting a lawyer immediately. That was smart on his part, even if he is 100% innocent and the derailment was due to mechanical issues out of this control. He could easily be railroaded (pun fully intended!) to take blame for this. He's up against Amtrak. He deserves legal representation and I don't see speaking through a lawyer as indication of anything, whether innocent or guilty of neglect.

However, it is telling, imo, that the lawyer is being very specific that the cell phone was in his bag. He's distancing the engineer from the device. I hope that is true that the cell phone was in the bag, and I would guess that it is since records can be checked about his usage.

Good catch on that detail tx

Sent from my SCH-S720C using Tapatalk 2

JMO
I agree totally with the whole post.

I would get a laywer too regardless. And I am concerned that he brings up cell phone at all.

Wondering about communication protocols with Amtrak. Dont they use like a 2 way radio to dispatchers?

If they did have 2 way radios, then why didnt he use that to talk to dispatch. Maybe it was broken in the wreck.

Im having suspicouns about this guy. Nothing more than just suspicouns based solely on what he has said and also what he has not said. And also the fact he is claiming he does not remember.
Things are trickling out that are giving me suspiciouns about his story so far.
Will have to wait and see.

Reported on CNN that today a brake test will be conducted and further analysis with the box

Reported on CNN that today a brake test will be conducted and further analysis with the box

JMO
This indicates to me that the investigators are also having serious suspicouns about the operator and what he may or may not have told them so far.

JMO
This indicates to me that the investigators are also having serious suspicouns about the operator and what he may have or have not told them so far.

Agree and they likely know more than we do at this point. I did hear last night it would only be a few more days for a Prelim. report but up to a year for final report. I do have faith the NTSB will get the answers with or without Engineers input.

Still saying Mayor will hold presser in moments LOL

Agree and they likely know more than we do at this point. I did hear last night it would only be a few more days for a Prelim. report but up to a year for final report. I do have faith the NTSB will get the answers with or without Engineers input.

ITA. I think they will be able to piece together everything and the cause of the problem (or causes, plural) will not remain a mystery. They have all the evidence, nothing is missing, and the engineer's recollections aren't all that essential, imo.

One sure way of preventing yourself from committing perjury is to "not remember". If breaks were applied 3 seconds before the crash he must have had conscious actions DURING the event. Apparently he is going to make investigators show their evidence and cards to then form his story. With him having 7 staples in his head he must be on some heavy pain medications and antibiotics to prevent infection or swelling in his brain. So IMO any statements he may make now would be thrown out in any trial(s) in the future by his defense attorneys. So it does not concern me that much that he is not giving statements.

JMO's

What are the odds that the one survivor on that train who would be the most helpful in figuring out what happened is the only one (presumably) who is suffering from amnesia?

Ah....Apparantly there was a camera but it was pointing straight out the front. Still good though as they may get some data from it. Also, wonder if audio is recorded from the camera. Probably not but at least they have that too.

"He said they will also examine video recorded by a front-facing camera on the train’s locomotive,"

Im wondering about the missing people. So strange still missing. Especially Bob Gildersleeve. He seems likely to have been on that train but not positive yet. Where is he and others.

Could it be possible some were so crushed that there is just bits and pieces of bodies and that maybe why some are not found.

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/05/15/us/philadelphia-amtrak-train-crash.html?_r=0

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ronin13
Back