PA - Church Stages Fake Kidnapping

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Not only was this "mock" kidnapping extremely unethical, it may also have been illegal.

I hope when the police investigation is complete, charges are filed against the idiots who thought it was a good idea to traumatize and terrorize these kids.

IANAL, but kidnapping charges could be brought against the off-duty police officer and the retired Army captain, as well as any of the church staff who participated in this insane exercise.

Bondage and Discipline/Sado-Masochism. It's a catch-all term for a number of different sexual fetishes.

I don't know why they keep calling this a "mock" kidnapping. If neither the students nor their parents knew about it in advance, then it was a REAL kidnapping, whatever one may think of the motive for it.

Perhaps it doesn't fit the legal definition of kidnapping (since the children were already in the custody of the church at the time), but it's close enough for me.

And I'm surprised that some people here seem to think what the church did was okay. Would it be alright to rape teenagers so they can learn how to cope if they are ever "really" raped?

:clap::clap:

My op is you can only give children enough information as they can personally tolerate. You shouldn't go shocking children into realizing a fear to this extent. You risk the possibility of traumatizing them. It looks like they might have. Dumb move. I hope the church realizes it. I never would have thought of doing something like that to get a child to learn something. again, jmo

I'd say the fact that they felt that such drastic "training" was needed before the kids left was a very clear indication that they shouldn't go anyway. And it isn't as though Mexico is the only place with impovorished areas that the kids could go to. There are areas here in the US that needs the help just as much. Or other small countries that are more stable.

And just how realistic did that training get anyway? In Mexico if that type of situation did happen, they would likely be facing physical assaults, murder and rape as well as verbal abuse. Did they expose them to that too?

Mysterview, I didn't think about that, but would have done a different approach to teach the kids, unless they did prewarn them, I guess, not liking it. But don't know the church or children nor their enviroment. xoxo

We have lived in AZ for about 40 years now, we don't go to Mexico anymore. It's been since 2004 since we traveled to Mexico. We have had such great opportunities to travel and stay there, but just won't. I want to see the beauty again, but not with what happens there. jmo When we quit going their, many people I knew told of there travels. It cost them when stopped by LE/or Federales. Twenty a pop. So we don't go to Mexico anymore along with the bodies being found anymore. Drug dealing is what they say it is, have no idea. Not sure if they post id's. Will check though.

We almost lost a nephew about 6 years ago to a Rockypoint trip for Spring Break. His story is much more compelling than this. It was horrific but he lives thank god! I will ask him if he would talk to kids about Mexico. Not sure if he will so don't get excited. He is our miracle we witnessed in life. Amazing man now. xoxo

Bondage and Discipline/Sado-Masochism. It's a catch-all term for a number of different sexual fetishes.

I don't know why they keep calling this a "mock" kidnapping. If neither the students nor their parents knew about it in advance, then it was a REAL kidnapping, whatever one may think of the motive for it.

Perhaps it doesn't fit the legal definition of kidnapping (since the children were already in the custody of the church at the time), but it's close enough for me.

And I'm surprised that some people here seem to think what the church did was okay. Would it be alright to rape teenagers so they can learn how to cope if they are ever "really" raped?

I am not saying it was 'OKAY' or even a good idea. I was just saying that I think they believed they were actually preparing the kids for the danger. Again, it was not wise, not at all, but I understand what they were trying to do. imo
I would have been really mad if my kids were in that group, but I would not accuse the adults of kidnapping, per se. Just of being stupid and out of line.

At this point in history sending kids to Mexico of all places is sheer Idiocy.

I am one who thinks what this church did was very wrong. It's a good thing that it wasn't one of my kids! It also had to have traumatized the kids, IMO.

I agree that at this point in time they do not need to go to Mexico. Send the supplies and Bibles and they will have helped.

JMO

I am not saying it was 'OKAY' or even a good idea. I was just saying that I think they believed they were actually preparing the kids for the danger. Again, it was not wise, not at all, but I understand what they were trying to do. imo
I would have been really mad if my kids were in that group, but I would not accuse the adults of kidnapping, per se. Just of being stupid and out of line.

katy, I wasn't responding to you personally. I'm sorry if it seemed I was.

I also wasn't questioning the motives of those who organized the kidnapping; I don't know them. But good intentions don't change the fact that they put the children through the very trauma they claim they were preparing the kids to face. How does that makes sense?

What was done here is very different from a drill, whereby one practices the motions necessary in a crisis while knowing the "crisis" is fake.

I think that the adults in this situation need training on not putting young people in harms way to begin with. What exactly were they suppose to learn from this experience?

This reminds me of something I experiencd in highschool that was horrifying. They highschools "MADD" club decided a good lesson would be to go over the highschool PA announcements and announce that such and such students were tragically killed last night in a drunk driving accident.

What they failed to take into account was that there were siblings/family members of said students going to said school and caused a severe mental breakdown until the student could be calmed and everything could be explained. It was far more traumatizing than the announcement itself and her screams will stay with me forever.

In theory I can see the idea behind it, but not in practice. What thy did was ACTUALLY kidnap someone.

I saw this and was horrified - these adults clearly were not thinking. And frankly, if this were my church, I'd be finding a new one. So infuriating on so many levels.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Herbstreit926
Back