PA PA - District Attorney Ray Gricar Mysteriously Disappeared - Bellefonte 15 April 2005 #18

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
or he had an interest in having it come to light.
Not that anyone has ever seen. There was no Sandusky file in the office (even though reports had been faxed there), no file in his personal papers, and nothing on a computer.

Since RFG did not get the laptop until 2003-4, any information could not have been initially stored there.

Last edited:
His ex-wife did work at PSU, as a full professor, but it should not have effected her at all.

BG, the first wife, got tenure in 1985. There was basically no way that she would be impacted. Spanier retained his $600 k/year tenured professorship after resigning as president and being convicted. That is how safe the job is.
Thank you for the input. And the thought was not necessarily whether it might have affected or impacted the ex wife, but might that connection have p influenced the missing DA’s actions.
MOO

Thank you for the input. And the thought was not necessarily whether it might have affected or impacted the ex wife, but might that connection have p influenced the missing DA’s actions.
MOO
They had been divorced for 6-8 years in 1998. RFG's nephew, Chris, graduated from there in 1997. His daughter attended for two years leaving in 1997.

The potential influence is this: As it is today, in 1998, about 1/2 of the voting age population in Centre County either goes to Penn State, went to Penn State (including both of his closest friends), is employed directly by Penn State (it is the largest employer in the county), or is retired from Penn State.

These numbers do not include subcontractors, people who engage in retail and primarily sell to someone on that list, or spouses, parents, or siblings of anyone on that list.

That might be reason enough not to pursue Sandusky.

Last edited:
Just to give you an example of how pervasive Penn State was between 1998-2005, there were, at the start, 3 Court of Common Pleas judges; 2 went to PSU. One of those two had been the DA that hired RFG. A 4th judge was added at the start of 2005; he graduated from PSU.

RFG's first ex-wife worked at PSU. His daughter attended PSU. His nephew graduated from PSU. His two closest friend both have degrees from PSU; one an undergraduate and one with an MBA. His girlfriend graduated from PSU.

The first lead detective in the case graduated from PSU. The editor of the local newspaper cover the disappearance graduated PSU. The blogger who wrote about the case graduated from PSU. At least one other former poster here graduated from PSU. RFG's successor as DA now works at PSU.

I do not believe in a grand Penn State conspiracy in this, especially since I'm on the list. This is just to illustrate how much this one institution is connected to this case.

Here is an index of podcasts on the Ray Gricar case: link to index

I did listen to the first two yesterday, "One Minute, Forty-Three Seconds." They had a lot of inaccurate information. For example, they quoted James Renner as saying that RFG had Slovenian citizenship. RFG was eligible for Slovenian citizenship, and there is no doubt that he knew that, due to publicly covered events. That does not mean that RFG took that extra step, got Slovenian citizenship, and got a Slovenian passport.

Here is an index of podcasts on the Ray Gricar case: link to index

I did listen to the first two yesterday, "One Minute, Forty-Three Seconds." They had a lot of inaccurate information. For example, they quoted James Renner as saying that RFG had Slovenian citizenship. RFG was eligible for Slovenian citizenship, and there is no doubt that he knew that, due to publicly covered events. That does not mean that RFG took that extra step, got Slovenian citizenship, and got a Slovenian passport.

If he had done that, there would be a record of it, correct? The only podcasts I've listened to about Ray's case are Final Argument and (I think) True Crime Garage. Both seemed very accurate, though a lot of these on the index seem "hit or miss".

If he had done that, there would be a record of it, correct? The only podcasts I've listened to about Ray's case are Final Argument and (I think) True Crime Garage. Both seemed very accurate, though a lot of these on the index seem "hit or miss".
Not necessarily a record in the US.

A judge from Cambria County, Joseph O'Kicki, was convicted of a multitude of things. His ancestry was also Slovenian and he had acquired both citizenship there and a passport from Slovenia. He fled prior to sentencing to Slovenia in 1992. He left from the State College airport, in Centre County.

The story made headlines (including the National Inquirer) for three years prior to O'Kicki disappearance and was one of the biggest local stories ever. Locally, it rivaled Sandusky.

RFG clearly knew about it and how he left the country, from a spot RFG's jurisdiction. Sloane, who was from Cambria County, talked to him about the case as well.

Not necessarily a record in the US.

A judge from Cambria County, Joseph O'Kicki, was convicted of a multitude of things. His ancestry was also Slovenian and he had acquired both citizenship there and a passport from Slovenia. He fled prior to sentencing to Slovenia in 1992. He left from the State College airport, in Centre County.

The story made headlines (including the National Inquirer) for three years prior to O'Kicki disappearance and was one of the biggest local stories ever. Locally, it rivaled Sandusky.

RFG clearly knew about it and how he left the country, from a spot RFG's jurisdiction. Sloane, who was from Cambria County, talked to him about the case as well.

Why would RFG want to secretively plan to disappear and live anonymously in Slovenia? He was close to retirement from a successful career. Why not just retire and move to Slovenia? Why leave behind his assets, his retirement funds, family, etc?

Why would RFG want to secretively plan to disappear and live anonymously in Slovenia? He was close to retirement from a successful career. Why not just retire and move to Slovenia? Why leave behind his assets, his retirement funds, family, etc?
He had family there, and had visited it several times.

He left behind almost no assets. I think it is quite possible they were already there (or could be moved there).

He had family there, and had visited it several times.

He left behind almost no assets. I think it is quite possible they were already there (or could be moved there).

Why would he move there secretly, leaving his pension behind and causing grief to his family and friends in the US?

I don't think he would.

If he were hiding assets offshore, that is exactly what he would do, if he could not get them back into the country.
He could retire, leave the country, move to Slovenia, then access the money while living there. He wouldn't need to be secretive about it, putting his family (immediate and extended) and friends through so much panic and grief. He didn't seem to be a mean, selfish, crooked, uncaring person. He had no history of that. He was well liked by many and loved by his family.

I don't think he would go to such extremes as making his own grieving nephew wade through the Susquehanna River searching for his body. JMO

He could retire, leave the country, move to Slovenia, then access the money while living there. He wouldn't need to be secretive about it, putting his family (immediate and extended) and friends through so much panic and grief. He didn't seem to be a mean, selfish, crooked, uncaring person. He had no history of that. He was well liked by many and loved by his family.

I don't think he would go to such extremes as making his own grieving nephew wade through the Susquehanna River searching for his body. JMO
See my other answers.

There is no shortage of reasons why RFG might want to disappear.

He left a lot of money to his daughter and girlfriend, so I don't call that "mean, selfish, crooked," or "uncaring."

See my other answers.

There is no shortage of reasons why RFG might want to disappear.

He left a lot of money to his daughter and girlfriend, so I don't call that "mean, selfish, crooked," or "uncaring."
But faking his own death just so he could retire a few months early and move to another country is cruel, selfish and uncaring. That’s why I don’t believe he did that. It’s illogical, unnecessary and out of character for him. JMO

Last edited:

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Crunchy Riff
Back