PA PA - Marise Chiverella, 9, Hazleton, 18 March 1964

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Sabadish was pastor at St Mary's in Beaver Meadows which is next patch over from hazleton, and if similar roads existed back in 64 back roads could have been taken from Milnesville, pa which I believe would have been the airport road over to beaver meadows providing a quick away road from where she was found. I realize he wasn't stationed there but it at the very least would show familiarity with area. FWiW...

http://www.mapquest.com/maps?city=Beaver Meadows&state=PA

http://www.bishop-accountability.org/reports/2005_09_21_Philly_GrandJury/Philly_C_46_Sabadish.pdf

Also looking at Beaver Meadows, if the backroads existed and he stayed in Beaver Meadows at his old parish rather that hazleton. He could have gone from downtown hazleton to Milnesville to Beaver Meadows to Bristol without retracing his steps. This is assuming the roads existed that do now linking these towns. Again, speculation and FWIW... I'm new with the cold cases and speculation so I apologize if this seems crazy...

Also, not familiar with looking up old roadmaps

http://www.bebo.com/Profile.jsp?MemberId=7626812896

''Tragically, no sooner when Marise's parents reported her missing, a man dumping some coal ash found the little girl's partially clothed body at the bottom of a strip mine 25 feet deep several miles north of where Marise lived. She had been bound with shoelaces, was gagged with a multi-colored handkerchief, was raped, and had been strangled to death. It appeared as though Marise had been killed where her body was found because her body had not been thrown in the pit, but had been placed there''
Ooooooh. I thought she was found 20 minutes after not arriving at school, but her parents called the police when she didn't return home from lunch. The monster was with her for hours that morning.

From where did the multi-colored handkerchief originate? Was it Marise's?

I've avoided looking at this thread all day because I knew it would be upsetting, I just had no idea how troubling it would be.
If I'm not mistaken, Hazleton comes under The Diocese of Scranton, PA (http://www.dioceseofscranton.org/). Same age as Marise, I attended Catholic School in Lackawanna County, PA. If these horrible murders have any link to the Church, this could have been one of my family members or friends.
I just can't walk away from this. I live a few block away from the Diocese's Offices, here in Scranton. If anyone needs anything that has to be researched that can't be found online, if you can direct me by PM, I will be happy to go there and see what I can get. Also, the priest's retirement home is just a few blocks away, as well. I know the retired Bishop of the Diocese lives there and many old, old priests from all over the area. Perhaps, there may be some answers there, who knows?
I would just love to have one family get some peace & justice for their love one before it's too late. A big thanks for all you do here at WS, to tell you I'm impressed would be an understatement.

Bless you, Wills.

If Sabadish killed two little girls, why did he suddenly stop killing little girls? What inhibited him from killing more girls? His circumstances remained almost the same although he was transferred to another parish. I can't find other unsolved child homicide cases near where Sabadish lived, but maybe someone else can. Did he find another outlet for his evilness? Did he travel out of state to rape and kill?

I am searching on W/S for some other crimes that I feel could be connected to this one, I will get the threads and links at some point.

I did find this rather strange, maybe it was just a coincidence that we were discussing coal mining, this jumped out to me big time

''They released a drawing of a white man in his 30s, with dirty, dark hair, bushy eyebrows, a mustache and a beard who had been seen near the Mount St. Joseph grounds. They sought but never found a rusty, gray or faded-blue Chevrolet or Buick, festooned with religious and coal-mining bumper stickers, that had been parked on nearby Pogue's Run Road''

From Marilynilpa's post

here Cold case - murdered nun Robin Elam - Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community

Postulant nun Robin Elam 1977, Murdered.

Hi All - I posted this on the Carol Ann Dougherty thread, but thought it might be helpful here as well.

First of all - I want to thank all of you for keeping this thread - and case! - alive for so long. I'm not a detective, but I do have first hand information about Sabadish. (I'll not refer to him as 'Father'. In my opinion, he does NOT deserve that title)

I tried to block this man out of my memory, but a recent message from a family member telling me what he did to her made me want to find out more about the person I was forced to see on a daily basis for many years. I apologize if this is rambling, but there is so much I've processed about him over the past few days that my head is spinning.

He spent the better part of 3 years stationed at my home parish, but this isn't listed in his files. It was Sacred Heart in Bethlehem, PA. My mother took to him and the man was at my house EVERY DAY. I know my father didn't agree with it because they fought about it constantly. If you look at the files of where he was stationed, there are several different versions and they don't match up. From what I can recall - and I have a message in to the Diocese of Allentown because I want the exact dates - he was stationed in Bethlehem - the Miller Heights section - from 1976 - 1979, but I think he was there longer. There is a suspension listed in his years of service from 76 - 79, so that could be it, but like I said, I thought it was longer than that.

In those years, my family got to know his family. Just to address some of the questions I saw floating in this thread: I believe they were from Minersville or Branchdale and the sisters lived in an old row home there. I can't remember if it was Minersville or Branchdale. I apologize!! He had 2 sisters that I know of and met: Peggy and Agnella. Agnella had some kind of deformity in one of her hands. For some reason, I thought Peggy had married, but her husband passed away at a young age, but again, the details are a bit foggy right now.

I do remember that he wasn't a very nice man. He would yell at me and my friends a lot and didn't seem to like children. I remember once when I was caught smoking when I was about 10. It was the first time I tried it. My mother made me go to confession and it was him hearing confessions. He knew it was me because he was at my house when I got caught. (This would have been 1977) He yelled at me in the confessional and said he would shove 10 cigarettes in my mouth and make me smoke them all at once and see how I liked it then. I just thought it was a strange thing for a priest to say during a confession!

His records show that there were credible allegations of molestation against him and that he was sued. I don't think I was a victim, at least not that I remember, but have found out that another family member was.

He died in 1999 and is buried in St. Mary's Star of the Sea in Branch Township, PA.

If you have other questions, I'd be happy to answer what I can remember. I'm currently trying to find out all I can about him. My father died in 2000 and my mother is in a nursing home battling Parkinsons. I'm trying to figure out how to ask her what she really knew about him, but I don't know if I will ever get the truth.

Again - THANK YOU. If nothing else, I feel like I can get this out here, because I don't know who to talk to about this. When I found out all of the skeletons in his closet. I was sick to my stomach!!

As an aside, in looking at his (Sabadish) funeral arrangements, it has survivors listed as Anna Fitzgerald and Peggy Sabadish.... I'm thinking maybe Anna is the sister who was married and Peggy never was? However, Agnella is NOT listed and I KNOW there was a sister named Agnella. I met her. I remember the way she held her hand and I remember that name. Also, I've called the Diocese of Allentown and I spoke to someone there about all of the holes in his record and why Sacred Heart was not listed in his files. They are doing some research and said they will try to find out and get back to me by tomorrow. It says he lived in a private residence during the time he was at Sacred Heart, yet he said mass and heard confessions while he was there. I just can't wrap my head around all of this.:banghead:

http://m.standardspeaker.com/news/50-years-later-no-signs-of-girl-s-killer-1.1652318

"50 years later, no signs of girl's killer
By TOM RAGAN (Staff Writer)
Published: March 18, 2014

Unsolved murders never go away, especially when they involve an innocent 9-year-old girl whose life was snuffed out as she was en route to just another day at school.

It is the kind of crime that bothers police officers all of their lives. Not only is it unsolved but it hits home with many police officers who can identify having children of their own. No one wants to see a young child harmed - let alone brutally strangled to death and raped, tied up and tossed in a stripping hole.

Fifty years ago, that's exactly what happened to Marise Chiverella of Hazleton.

It happened on March 18, 1964 - a dark day in Hazleton because her killer was never caught and brought to justice.

Authorities chased down every clue and every suspect and while there were several suspects, there just wasn't enough evidence to formally charge anyone with the crime."

>>snip>>

" Even though the case is 50 years old, state police say the case remains open and reviewed since murder cases are never removed from the books in the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania.

It is still active but nothing has been added in the way of new evidence in the past 50 years. If anyone can shed light on the information that would lead to the identity of Marise Chiverella's killer they should contact state police at Hazleton"

http://www.governor.state.pa.us/por...ticles/marise_ann_chivarella_w_n_f_age_9.html

"Troop Troop N Investigation
Investigating Station: Hazleton

Criminal Homicide Marise Ann Chivarella W-N/F/9-Luzerne County

Incident Number: N-3-194
Date/Time Occurred: 03/18/1964 08:00 AM

Details:

On March 18, 1964 at approximately 8:00 A.M. , Marise Ann Chiverella, age 9 left her residence at 533 Alter Street , Hazleton , Pennsylvania and began to walk to school. Marise attended St. Joseph ’s Catholic School , located a few blocks from her home. On this Wednesday, Marise left a few minutes ahead of her brother and sisters in order to drop canned goods off at the Church for the needy. It was not discovered that Marise was missing from school until she failed to return home for lunch.

At about the same time it was discovered that Marise did not arrive at school ( 1:00 PM ), a local resident discovered the bound and gagged body of Marise in an illegal dumping area of Hazle Township , Luzerne County . This dump area was several miles north of the Chiverella residence. Marise was located approximately twenty-five (25) feet down a pit, and appeared to have been laid there rather than thrown or rolled.

In you have any information concerning this investigation please contact:
Pennsylvania State Police Hazleton Station at (570) 549-3890"

While looking at another two murders, one a child the other a teenager, I was drawn back to Marise's and Carol Ann Dougherty's case. I think I might have another Priest (non of the ones mentioned so far) in and around some of the areas we're looking at. He was moved because of reports of serious abuse. I suspect he went under the radar at the time the teenager was killed but he certainly knew her.

I am starting to think that the 12 was not real or part of this case.

If it was I think it would have been pushed forwarded and more clues left.

I'm part of this family. I think I know who did it, but it makes me feel terrible to think it. Now that that person is deceased as well as both of Marises parents, it will probable remain forever unsolved.

Wow what a tragic case.

I grew up in the Roman Catholic church - looked up Sabadish, was with 13 different churches from 1945 to 1997 - an average of 4 years per church.

The sad reality is this that's how it worked back then, if x number of complaints were lodged against a particular priest, he would just be transferred to another church.

In fact, the church I attended as a child, had one priest who was on the suspect side but again, back in the 1970's kids were told to keep quiet as a threat to them. Neither my brother nor I were victims though thank God.

At any rate, it sounds like he was one of those who became a priest in order to gain access to children.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Salty7
Back