Found Deceased PA - Nathan Lauer, 38, Allegheny River/Gilpin Township, 22 May 2021

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Just catching up here. 1st so very sorry @jcorb1012 that you and your loved ones are going through this. I also agree that this could get deeper. From what I've read and feel free to correct me. Friend A (owner of camp) said he saw Nate swimming yet this was not reported to family. Nates wallet was found going in the opposite direction of water correct? Friend B can't remember anything including that long drive home, leaves cell phone behind ( sounds like he was in a hurry). Nates belongings were at the camp other then the phone that was in Friend B's car and wallet that was dropped on an embankment? Am I getting all of this right? I just want to say that I'm using the word "friend" very loosely. IMO

This is Nathan's Brother's Girlfriend, it keeps saying in the media he was swimming when last seen. We are not sure where this information is coming from; since it was never told to us from anyone. Last we knew he took off on foot, and that was the last time he was allegedly seen.
I’m following Nathan’s case, and just wanted to let you know how sorry I am for what you’re going through. I hope you all get answers soon.

Just catching up here. 1st so very sorry @jcorb1012 that you and your loved ones are going through this. I also agree that this could get deeper. From what I've read and feel free to correct me. Friend A (owner of camp) said he saw Nate swimming yet this was not reported to family. Nates wallet was found going in the opposite direction of water correct? Friend B can't remember anything including that long drive home, leaves cell phone behind ( sounds like he was in a hurry). Nates belongings were at the camp other then the phone that was in Friend B's car and wallet that was dropped on an embankment? Am I getting all of this right? I just want to say that I'm using the word "friend" very loosely. IMO
Supposedly they all 3 went swimming to sober up, then made it safely back to the camper and Friend A made breakfast. After this it is unknown what happened. Nate's wallet was found in Friend B's car. Nathan's phone hasn't been found and when we tried to call Saturday and text, it went straight to voicemail and the text went straight to text message but he has an iPhone. His hat was found heading away from the camper about 100 or so feet away. I hope I was able to answer all your questions.

The first thing I would do if I was driving home and realized I didn't have my cell phone is to turn around and head back to the campsite to look for it.
Since Friend B didn't have his phone, LE can't track it to see where it pinged along his extended trip.
o_O Maybe he turned around continuously which is why it took him 7-8 hours to get home. Keep in mind his bad memory issue. :rolleyes:

giphy.gif

Drunk Driving Going In Circles GIF - Find & Share on GIPHY

<modsnip> I don't like the timeline on this one. Too many errors, Tells police he was swimming at 7:30am/ around the time the friend 2 left according to friend 1? Possible arguments/fighting. Those 2 need a serious looking into while also searching water. Not saying someone did anything but there are serious questions going on here. IMO

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm now digging into MSM and all I see is he went swimming at 7:30 am and didn't come back . What the heck time did they eat breakfast together? It also says "friends said he went missing" so they both saw him?
His friends say he went swimming in the Allegheny River Saturday morning at 7:30 AM and he didn't come back.

I wonder if Friend B ever got his phone back. I know it has been stated that he "left" it at the campsite but I do wonder if he really "lost" it at the site. I also wonder if he remembers the drive back? He must have known the directions like the back of his hand and had no one to tell he was "on the way home" to completely not notice he didn't have his phone. I wonder when he noticed. I guess if you 'lost" your phone you'd just... leave and not return for it - since that's no longer possible.

Friend B remembers eating breakfast but nothing else. I wonder if he remembers what he ate. That would be an interesting line of questioning. LE: So, you had bacon and eggs, and then you left? Friend 2: No I had oatmeal. Everyone: Ah, so some detailed memory still exists. How about that?

Is Friend B into (and I'm not joking here) "Irish Goodbyes"? He just happened to fail to mention he was leaving in the morning. Who here would duck out of a campsite unannounced after spending a rowdy night(s) having a good time with friends? Not I. If I were with friends that I cared about and they also cared about me, I wouldn't want them to wonder or worry about where I went. I guess I could see where a person might storm out unannounced if there was a rowdy argument or fight... among a few other reasons.

I wonder a lot.

Wow this case is crazy. So happy to have an insider and so sorry you’re here under these circumstances @jcorb1012
Just rehashing...
Friend A wakes up upon possibly hearing a noise (maybe friend B leaving) and looks around at his empty camper. So they left super early? He sees that Nathan’s stuff is all still there, and friend B’s stuff is all gone except cell phone. Definitely weird.
I suppose after looking around outside a bit I would feel sketchy enough to call police, two friends missing super early while leaving really important things behind. What was the huge rush?
I would explain to dispatch that we had been swimming and then fell asleep.. hence the skewed account in articles asserting he was literally last seen in the water. Maybe?

I am feeling pretty dang uneasy about friend B. Why leave, drunk, early, and without the friend you brought with you? So sketchy! He knows more. He may have left his phone on purpose for more than one reason
“In my drunken haze I think I kept getting lost without my gps”
I hope his car is newer so there might be an opportunity to try to see where he went between camping and when he finally got home.
I really need to hear his side of things.

with all of that said, statistically there is an argument to continue to search the water as well :(

All JMO

Were there any neighbors who were camping nearby? If so, did they see or hear anything throughout the night and most especially, during the 6-7:15ish a.m. time frame?
My daughters grandparents have the sight right next to Friend A’s sight. They were up at 7 am (my daughter was also there but not awake) and they heard Nate going through their site and try to open their camper then heard friend A get him back to their site then they heard them go swimming. That’s all they heard. Never mentioned anything about friend B. But then later heard about friend B leaving and taking a very long time to return home and the police not speaking to him directly but to his father. They also had a friend today who also stays at the same camp ground walk down to the lock of the river to check it out. Also up by the woods near the tracks where the hat was found. She is going to look in the woods tomorrow I believe when she has someone with her or she called someone tonight as she thought she smelled something decaying but this could easily be an Animal since they searched the woods on Sunday nor would I think a body would smell badly that soon. I haven’t heard back from them tonight but will hear more tomorrow I’m sure.

Last edited:
IMO I think friend B is very suspicious and now hearing that he didn’t have his phone on the 6-8 hour drive home that should have only taken an hour and a half I can only wonder if he left his phone at the camp site on purpose. Whether it was so he wasn’t contacted immediately or so that his location could not be tracked. Also that he cannot remember anything? Very strange. I don’t suspect friend A but friend B... I don’t know.

My daughters grandparents have the sight right next to Friend A’s sight. They were up at 7 am (my daughter was also there but not awake) and they heard Nate going through their site and try to open their camper then heard friend A get him back to their site then they heard them go swimming. That’s all they heard. Never mentioned anything about friend B. But then later heard about friend B leaving and taking a very long time to return home and the police not speaking to him directly but to his father. They also had a friend today who also stays at the same camp ground walk down to the lock of the river to check it out. Also up by the woods near the tracks where the hat was found. She is going to look in the woods tomorrow I believe when she has someone with her or she called someone tonight as she thought she smelled something decaying but this could easily be an Animal since they searched the woods on Sunday nor would I think a body would smell badly that soon. I haven’t heard back from them tonight but will hear more tomorrow I’m sure.
I hope they reported this to the police. If they haven’t, they should. And I agree, not sure about friend B. Everything I’ve read about his story screams HINKY!

<modsnip>
Thank you so much for reaching out! Just keep praying and hoping for the best, that’s really the only thing we can do at this point. I’ve been reaching out to locals of the area, to keep checking areas and to check significant water spots. The hardest part is not knowing where he is.

Last edited by a moderator:

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fishbl
Back