Identified! PA - Newport Township, WhtFem 15-21, UP10836, Alden Mountain, Nov'12 - Joan Marie Dymond

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Congratulations @othram.

“The National Center for Missing and Exploited Children released a likeness of the girl based on facial reconstruction images. Investigators sent the victim's DNA profile to national databases but got no matches. With the rise of investigative genetic genealogy — using direct-to-consumer DNA databases to identify victims and perpetrators of violent crimes — the Luzerne Foundation launched a "Closing Cases" fund, citing the Aden Mountain "Jane Doe."

Othram, Inc. provided troopers with possible family members, including the family of Dymond, who provided DNA samples. The tests recently confirmed that the remains were hers.”

[...]

“State police are asking for the public's help to find the individual responsible for her death. Anyone with information regarding her disappearance should call the Shickshinny station at 570-542-4117.”

Now that we know who this body was, we still need to know her killer. Is Edward Surratt a possibility? His possible victims differed greatly in age with some being in their 20s, 30s and even 60s. He did possibly murder couples mainly but I wouldn't be surprised if he dabbled in single person murders.

Now that we know who this body was, we still need to know her killer. Is Edward Surratt a possibility? His possible victims differed greatly in age with some being in their 20s, 30s and even 60s. He did possibly murder couples mainly but I wouldn't be surprised if he dabbled in single person murders.
Surratt was not only serving in Vietnam at the time Joan disappeared in June 1969, he was in hospital due to being severely WIA, so, assuming she didn't runaway and was killed shortly after disappearing, that would pretty much rule him out.

Thanks for debunking. I am not even good at finding suspects but I wanted to give it a shot.
Obviously most of us are bad at finding suspects, otherwise our success rate(as an online community) would be much greater. We also work with what little info we can muster. There seems to be a tendency for people to want to connect a lot of murders with serial killers. My opinion is that this is misguided. A lot bad things happen and very few of them are because of the more famous bad apples. This tendency is best exemplified in the whole Unification Theory nonsense where Ed Edwards has killed everybody on the planet and probably created AIDS.

This is definitely one of those cases that makes me go "wow!", due to the long time period from when Joan went missing to when her remains were discovered. Hats off to the laboratory that determined the bones were likely from the 1960s.

This is definitely one of those cases that makes me go "wow!", due to the long time period from when Joan went missing to when her remains were discovered. Hats off to the laboratory that determined the bones were likely from the 1960s.
This was a tricky case. Remains were not in good shape.

This is a good article with very specific information on the circumstances of her disappearence- https://www.washingtonpost.com/nation/2022/10/05/missing-pennsylvania-teen-joan-marie-dymond/
On a warm June day in 1969, 14-year-old Joan Marie Dymond of Wilkes-Barre, Pa., told her family she was going outside after eating supper. The 5-foot-5 teenager with brown eyes and brown hair never returned.

Dymond was wearing a brown blouse with long sleeves and flowered slacks at the time of her disappearance, the Times Leader media group reported, citing a notice in the Wilkes-Barre Record newspaper on July 3, 1969. Dymond had gone missing on June 25 that year.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Slowcrow
Back