PA PA - Orie Donald Esh, 62, Oliver Twp., homicide - house set on fire, 6 September 2001

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves

citizen_sleuth

Verified family member - Orie Donald Esh thread
Reaction score
This is my great uncle. I have more information about his case and will submit a request to be a Verified Insider on his case, but for now, here is what is publicly available.

PA Crimestoppers
The Pennsylvania State Police, Troop G, Lewistown, continue their investigation into the Homicide of 62 year old Orie Donald Esh, that occurred at his residence located at 271 Kansas Road, Oliver Township, Mifflin County, PA.

On September 6, 2001, at approximately 10:17 a.m., the victim Orie Donald Esh was found deceased inside his residence. Through investigation it is believed the fire was set intentionally by an individual other than the victim. Numerous interviews have been conducted over the years, but no leads have surfaced to conclusively identify the person responsible for setting the residence on fire.

WHAT YOU CAN DO: Any persons with information on this crime are asked to contact Trooper Varner at Troop G - Lewistown at 717-320-1010 or you can call the Pennsylvania Crime Stoppers if you have information on this crime, any serious crime, or wanted person, call the Pennsylvania Crime Stoppers Toll Free at 1-800-4PA-TIPS (8477).

All callers remain anonymous and could be eligible for a CASH REWARD. All information is accurate as of Release Date.

@citizen_sleuth has been verified as a family member of Orie Donald Esh. As a VI, they do not have to provide links to what they state as fact or about their knowledge of the case.

Thank you citizen_sleuth for starting this thread for your uncle. Almost 22 years now .. it's been a very long time waiting for and seeking answers. As others join this discussion, hopefully they will be able to help bring resolution to your uncle's case.

A little background on Orie: he worked at New Holland and was a supervisor at the plant at the time of his death. Both my great uncle, grandfather, and numerous other family members all worked at the plant.

Orie was scheduled to work the day of his murder, but he didn’t show up, which was out of character. Shortly thereafter, the Pennsylvania State Police informed the family that he died in a house fire.

Orie was a bit strange and wasn’t very close with his family and could even be antagonistic at times, particularly over the family homestead.

He had a son named Brian, who lived with Orie at his home. Orie and Brian were always getting into fights with each other and it wasn’t unusual for the police to be dispatched to their house to break-up fights.

Brian was reportedly involved in drugs, and he and his father would get into fights about money and Brian’s presence in the house.

Curiously, after Orie’s murder, Brian disappeared into the wind and no one in the family ever learned where he went.

A little background on Orie: he worked at New Holland and was a supervisor at the plant at the time of his death. Both my great uncle, grandfather, and numerous other family members all worked at the plant.

Orie was scheduled to work the day of his murder, but he didn’t show up, which was out of character. Shortly thereafter, the Pennsylvania State Police informed the family that he died in a house fire.

Orie was a bit strange and wasn’t very close with his family and could even be antagonistic at times, particularly over the family homestead.

He had a son named Brian, who lived with Orie at his home. Orie and Brian were always getting into fights with each other and it wasn’t unusual for the police to be dispatched to their house to break-up fights.

Brian was reportedly involved in drugs, and he and his father would get into fights about money and Brian’s presence in the house.

Curiously, after Orie’s murder, Brian disappeared into the wind and no one in the family ever learned where he went.
How old was Brian at the time? I wonder if he also met with foul play.

I'm sorry to hear about your great uncle. If you don't mind I have a few questions.

Was Brian's mom in the picture?

Did Orie have a significant other?

Any known enemies?

Was the home Orie and Brian lived in a family generational home?

Did Orie have a life insurance policy? If so, who was the beneficiary?

How old was Brian at the time? I wonder if he also met with foul play.
He was in his early 30's at the time of the murder and had a 10-year-old son. Brian eventually came back to the area based on public records, but I'm not sure when exactly that was. It's unclear whether Brian was ever interviewed in connection with his father's death, or if he was ever considered a POI by LE. The family believes he may have been involved given the volatility of their relationship and past incidents of violence that required a police response. My great aunt told me that Brian and Orie were always in the police blotter in the local newspaper (Lewistown Sentinel) for years leading up to Orie's murder.

He was in his early 30's at the time of the murder and had a 10-year-old son. Brian eventually came back to the area based on public records, but I'm not sure when exactly that was. It's unclear whether Brian was ever interviewed in connection with his father's death, or if he was ever considered a POI by LE. The family believes he may have been involved given the volatility of their relationship and past incidents of violence that required a police response. My great aunt told me that Brian and Orie were always in the police blotter in the local newspaper (Lewistown Sentinel) for years leading up to Orie's murder.

Any idea where Brian might be now? I found a linkedin page for somebody named Brian Esh that is employed about an hours drive from Oliver Township. I'm not sure If I'd be allowed to post that here.

Any idea where Brian might be now? I found a linkedin page for somebody named Brian Esh that is employed about an hours drive from Oliver Township. I'm not sure If I'd be allowed to post that here.
I don’t think it can shared because he isn’t officially a POI, but yes, I can confirm that he does still live in the area. I believe my aunt said that he did inherit the house and his fathers money after the fire.

I don’t think it can shared because he isn’t officially a POI, but yes, I can confirm that he does still live in the area. I believe my aunt said that he did inherit the house and his fathers money after the fire.

For not officially being a POI, that seems to be a glaring motive. I know that you mentioned that Orie Donald Esh had somewhat been detached from the rest of the family, but was it known if he had any enemies? Was the plant a hospitable working environment for him as well as the rest of the family?

For not officially being a POI, that seems to be a glaring motive. I know that you mentioned that Orie Donald Esh had somewhat been detached from the rest of the family, but was it known if he had any enemies? Was the plant a hospitable working environment for him as well as the rest of the family?
There was one incident at the plant some years before the murder—workers were in the process of unionizing and Orie tried to sabotage their efforts by stealing/taking down flyers. However this happened well before the murders so it’s most likely unrelated. Aside from that incident, Orie mostly kept to himself at the plant.

There was one incident at the plant some years before the murder—workers were in the process of unionizing and Orie tried to sabotage their efforts by stealing/taking down flyers. However this happened well before the murders so it’s most likely unrelated. Aside from that incident, Orie mostly kept to himself at the plant.

Has the local PD given you or your family any indication that they are still actively investigating this case?
Without many leads to pursue, and given the likelihood that Brian has been less than cooperative in this case, I fear for the outcome.
Really hoping for a conclusion on this one.

Has the local PD given you or your family any indication that they are still actively investigating this case?
Without many leads to pursue, and given the likelihood that Brian has been less than cooperative in this case, I fear for the outcome.
Really hoping for a conclusion on this one.
From what I've gleaned, they pretty much stopped thoroughly investigating the case shortly after the murder occurred because they hit a dead end. The house is very isolated and there are no neighboring houses with a direct view of it, so there were no witnesses and Brian was not cooperative at all with the investigation (despite the fact he was living in the house at the time the murder occurred), so the only 'evidence' they had to go on was the arson investigation report & autopsy. There have been plenty of rumors which have circulated throughout the years, but nothing was ever conclusive enough to lead to an arrest or a suspect being publicly identified.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jbhe224
Back