Identified! PA - Philadelphia - 'Boy in the Box' - 4UMPA - Feb'57 #3 - Joseph Augustus Zarelli

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
The reason was that they dismissed her claims because she was "mentally ill". Which IMO is a pretty weak reason to dismiss what seemed to be a very plausible lead.
Yes I had read that but there also had to be some type of evidence one way or another. I also wondered what type of mental illness. It could have just been depresión or some type of insanity. Idk I just can’t bring myself to believe her yet can’t really rule it out either. I wish we knew

“Originally buried in a pauper's grave, the boy's remains now lie just inside the front gate at Ivy Hill Cemetery, under a weeping cherry tree, and a headstone designates him as "America's Unknown Child." Services have been held there each year on the anniversary of the boy's discovery inside the box.

People often leave flowers and, this time of year, Christmas decorations and toys.

"The boy has always been special to all of us, because we don't know who it is," Dave Drysdale, the cemetery's secretary-treasurer, said in a phone interview ahead of the news conference.

Now they do. And now that he has a name - his real name - it will be etched on the stone.”

Philly's slain 'Boy in Box' identified 66 years later as Joseph Augustus Zarelli

This is moving too fast for me to keep up but a couple important things:

1. Many disabilities & medical conditions are not apparent at birth.
2. Being named on a birth certificate and being the genetic parent are two different things. (Even today!)
3. Not at all uncommon for no SSN in early 1950s.
4. Adoptions can be informal.
5. Generic or adoptive parenthood doesn’t mean culpability.
6 Data aggregator sites are often inaccurate. I’m married to my father, who resides in a state I’ve never visited.

I wonder if the family lived there, or worked there?
“They said his family lived in west Philadelphia.”

source:
Philly's slain 'Boy in Box': 66 years later we know his name

ETA:
”Joseph’s family resided in West Philadelphia near the area of 61st and Market during his life, said Capt. Jason Smith, commanding officer of the Homicide Unit. “

What we know and don’t know about Joseph Augustus Zarelli, also known as the Boy in the Box

Last edited:
People looking at genealogical information might want to remember that a birth certificate in 1953 with an unmarried mother could name the child with the mother's maiden name. People shouldn't so quickly assume the name of the father is the same as the surname given for the child.
Good point! And the Mother could have named her son after her brother or even her own father….

I have a feeling that if we wait a few days, members of Joseph's family might reach out to the news media. A reporter mentioned during the press conference that members of the father's family were disputing the evidence, meaning they have given some kind of statement to at least one member of the press, even if it was off the record.

I have nothing new to add here, but I just wanted to say I'm so relieved to know Joseph has his name back. I hope very much that someone is still alive who can shed more light on his life. Joseph is important to me. I first came to Websleuths in 2003 because of him; I'd seen a news story and was looking for more information, which led me to his thread here. I have checked in on the discussion here, as well as the Vidocq website, regularly for nearly 20 years now. His case was the first to start a passion in me for the unidentified deceased. God bless you, little Joseph, and may you rest in peace knowing that we now know who you are and we will continue to look out for you.

Jinger
I am italian. Ancestry DNA very ably found that my children were my children when I uploaded all of our DNA.<modsnip> I do not see how it would preclude the mother being of Italian American descent. Many members of my italian family have done the DNA on ancestry and 23 and Me. I promise you they are able to determine who we are related to and our ethinicity.

<modsnip: removed rude and personalizing comment>

Last edited by a moderator:
He was named Joseph Augustus Zarelli. Just a quick look in Ancestry and its easy to triangulate who his parents likely were. It's all a matter of public record, nothing remarkable or secretive in this day and age. For sure they are dead; <modsnip: Removed info that could potentially identify the parents>
LE knows their whole family trees by now, and who is living and dead. They have already interviewed everyone they could. They are probably now hoping the press name release will nudge somebody with a conscience to come forward with information to indicate what happened and just finally confirm who was responsible. Although, I think we can reasonably surmise responsibility.

So, here's the crux. Where is the missing child report from 1957 that SHOULD have been filed by the parents?! Can you imagine the conversation between the parents? Husband to wife: "Honey, have you seen little Joe?" Wife to husband, "No, I thought he was with you. Oh well, never mind." And where were the relatives or neighbors to ask, "Hey, whatever happened to that four-year old son you had?"

One thing I have observed in historical situations in genealogical research is that many first generational new American families could be clannish and would close ranks and circle the wagons to outsiders regarding family issues. Silence and the passage of time often whitewash unpleasant family history. However, back when this child was murdered, the perp(s) had no comprehension that DNA would ultimately identify this boy in the end.

This is moving too fast for me to keep up but a couple important things:

1. Many disabilities & medical conditions are not apparent at birth.
2. Being named on a birth certificate and being the genetic parent are two different things. (Even today!)
3. Not at all uncommon for no SSN in early 1950s.
4. Adoptions can be informal.
5. Generic or adoptive parenthood doesn’t mean culpability.
6 Data aggregator sites are often inaccurate. I’m married to my father, who resides in a state I’ve never visited.
Bbm

So I'm confused...I don't have an Ancestry account and I am NOT asking anyone to post documents here. But has someone seen Joseph's birth certificate online? Does it show his parents' names?
As far as I know, no. Death certificates for two other children were shared that may or may not be related to Joseph in some way, but Joseph's birth certificate has not been shared here.

Edited to fix that I called them birth certificates when they were death certificates.

Last edited:
So I'm confused...I don't have an Ancestry account and I am NOT asking anyone to post documents here. But has someone seen Joseph's birth certificate online? Does it show his parents' names?
I have an Ancestry account but PA birth certificates are not available on there for the 1950s, only death records. Obviously Joseph's death was never reported, so there's nothing on Ancestry.

Let me start by saying that I am overjoyed that his sweet baby finally has his name back. He is loved by so many people who never knew him in life.

Having said that, I really wish they would stop saying "West Philadelphia" because now the theme song to "Fresh Prince of Bel-Air" has been stuck in my head all day. ;)

No, it’s not been posted and the names aren’t known to us. Someone found some death certificates of people who might have been siblings or half-siblings. We don’t know conclusively who his parents were.

As far as I know, no. Birth certificates for two other children were shared that may or may not be related to Joseph in some way, but Joseph's birth certificate has not been shared here.

Okay, thanks. I did see the other birth certificates for the angel babies on the link shared earlier. I was just wondering if someone had actual made that solid connection with Joseph.

I have an Ancestry account but PA birth certificates are not available on there for the 1950s, only death records. Obviously Joseph's death was never reported, so there's nothing on Ancestry.

Thank you. Yes, of course, it makes sense that he wouldn't be on Ancestry. I didn't realize it worked that way, so I appreciate the explanation. :)

“They said his family lived in west Philadelphia.”

source:
Philly's slain 'Boy in Box': 66 years later we know his name

ETA:
”Joseph’s family resided in West Philadelphia near the area of 61st and Market during his life, said Capt. Jason Smith, commanding officer of the Homicide Unit. “

What we know and don’t know about Joseph Augustus Zarelli, also known as the Boy in the Box
<modsnip: exact address not mentioned in link>

The area has changed a lot since 1953, both demographically and physically. I seriously doubt that anyone from that time is still in the area.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member