Paris - Fire at Notre Dame Cathedral, Apr 2019

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
I am so sad. I was in Paris when I was 14 years old, as a 9th grader, with my classmates. I remember being super emotional inside the Cathedral and not knowing why. It was one of my favorite places in that trip and I went to Disneyland on the same week. I studied Medieval Art in college and Notre Dame was, obviously, very worked on that class. I just can't believe it. I am so sad, I am trying so hard to not cry. I can't believe how it must feel for the french, growing up knowing Notre Dame and living around there their whole lives.

The Latest: 'A part of us' burns with cathedral, Macron says
The Latest on a fire at Notre Dame Cathedral in Paris (all times local):

8:30 p.m.
French President Emmanuel Macron says the fire consuming Notre Dame Cathedral is taking part of everyone in France with it.

[...]

His administration says Macron is heading to Notre Dame.

8:20 p.m.

Speaking to BFMTV, Deputy Mayor Emmanuel Gregoire said first responders now trying to salvage the art and other priceless pieces stored in the cathedral.

[...]

7:55 p.m.
The French capital's police department said no deaths have been reported from Monday's fire. The police department didn't say anything about injuries.

[...]

French media quoted the Paris fire brigade saying the fire is "potentially linked" to the renovation work.

This fire in Notre Dame is a part of everyone, not just the people of France. Notre Dame is/was more than architecture, religion, history, etc. There is a meaning here, I just can't quite put my finger on it yet.

Eric Labourdette, pompier belge et président du SLFP à propos de l'incendie de Notre Dame de Paris: “C’est impossible à maîtriser”
[...]

"Like most cathedrals and churches, these are ancient buildings designed with very dry woods. Therefore, dry wood burns very fast. The shape of this cathedral also has its influence. The fire goes straight up, like a chimney. Of course, the speed of the flames is accelerated. In churches, the bell tower is always very sensitive too. You have an old building, difficult to access, with a fire that is growing at an incredible speed in all wood frames and you understand why it takes such a magnitude."

[...]

IMO, the timing of Easter Holy Week and the recent attacks on churches throughout France, suggest one cannot eliminate the possibility that this is not an accident. It must be investigated.
If any information comes to light, then yes.

But the details we have right now, do not lend themselves to that conclusion.

There will undoubtedly be a full investigation.

Gone! dated from the 13th century

D4Nx4yNW0AEkM0A.jpg
This is kind of a crazy comment, but my mom had a Christmas album (vinyl record) with this image on the cover. It was always a treat when she pulled out the Christmas music, and I remember as a kid holding the record jacket and studying this window as the music played. I just loved it. Magically beautiful. I've seen plenty of beautiful stained-glass windows in gorgeous houses of worship since then, and I really do think of that record jacket whenever I see them. I regret I never have seen Notre Dame in person.

Truly an example of the beauty people are capable of making. Truly a loss.

jmo

I am so sad. I was in Paris when I was 14 years old, as a 9th grader, with my classmates. I remember being super emotional inside the Cathedral and not knowing why. It was one of my favorite places in that trip and I went to Disneyland on the same week. I studied Medieval Art in college and Notre Dame was, obviously, very worked on that class. I just can't believe it. I am so sad, I am trying so hard to not cry. I can't believe how it must feel for the french, growing up knowing Notre Dame and living around there their whole lives.
I had the same experience there - it's just such a sacred place.

Towers are NOT on fire, not burning. ABC News Live.

Hope they can be saved.
This will be something to watch. When the news first broke and the first pictures were posted, I thought for sure it would be contained and not get to the towers. That's my hold-out hope - that the towers are spared.

I can't stop watching.

jmo

I have seen more firefighters at a trailer house fire in Odessa, Texas.....Now, here come 3 or 4 fire trucks on camera........moo
There are 400 firefighters at the scene. What you're seeing on TV is not a good reflection of what's going on because, for obvious reasons, the media can't get too close.

I think there are more there than we can see. It's such a massively huge place, and the area around it is so narrow/packed in, it's probably hard to see them.

You're right, Flute, of course there are more, loads more, inside the building as well.

Quite ridiculous of people to be complaining there are only 2 trucks / 10 firefighters / whatever, when there will be dozens of vehicles and hundreds of people.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Michelemelton03
Back