Penalty Phase #12

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
IMO, Sheriff Joe is a compassionate man and is letting Arias say goodbye after 5 years before heading to solitary on DR at ASPC Perryville.

IMO the reporting is incorrect.....doubt she would ever be put in GP....she messed with Joe once he is not going to give her a chance to do it twice.

The DT dragged all JA's family front row center for today's show. Instead of letting her relatives get on the stand and be impeached by JM (by referring to their previous LE interviews), the DT pitches a fit insinuating that they (and hordes of friends) really,really wanted to take the stand but were too intimadated by JM.

Does anyone believe that these witnesses were clamouring to defend JA? Really? It was all a DT ploy to cover her lack of witnesses. Or rather the lack of witnesses who could take the stand to try to defend her and still tell the truth.:twocents:

This is exactly what I think! It was a staged farce, the faux "outrage" from Nurmi & Wilmott was a little too over the top. If you look at Jodi's face--she is enjoying every single moment of it. Almost like she knew exactly what was going on and she was smirking about it.

How pathetic would it be for the defense to just concede the fact that they could find NO MITIGATION WITNESSES in 5 YEARS????

So does that mean the defense, ANY defense, can "throw their game" because they are mad, losing/lost, giving up, don't like their client, don't like the prosecutor, etc. etc.??? I mean, is this just a big freaking game? Throw the case so there can be an appeal? If so, it is truly sickening what goes on in the courtroom. or at least THIS courtroom.

I am truly disgusted. However, I know I am not as disgusted as the Alexander family.

Can't the statement JSS made about defense having the option to bring ANYONE they wanted for this mitigating phase in open court or in closed precedings make it so that this cannot be an appellate issue?

IMO the reporting is incorrect.....doubt she would ever be put in GP....she messed with Joe once he is not going to give her a chance to do it twice.

I thought she was in close custody? When did that change? Didn't that come after her looney bin visit?

I do honestly though think it's kinda weird that people who want to speak on behalf of the defendant have to be crossed. Even though I don't care about this woman at all, and she should have no rights. But I just find it odd. They are making a statement, they should not be on trial of past mistakes.

The same rights are extended to the defendant. Defense is entitled to cross any witnesses the State puts on the stand.

I have to make an observation.The person who is willing to be cross examined by Juan Martinez can be only one of two things;

A solid, stand up person who tells the truth or
A fool with a streak of crazy

That man is a force for justice and is to be reckoned with.:blushing:

This is exactly what I think! It was a staged farce, the faux "outrage" from Nurmi & Wilmott was a little too over the top. If you look at Jodi's face--she is enjoying every single moment of it. Almost like she knew exactly what was going on and she was smirking about it.

How pathetic would it be for the defense to just concede the fact that they could find NO MITIGATION WITNESSES in 5 YEARS????

There have been many staged farce's in this trial, to many.

Well, first of all this was stated by the prosecutor today in court. It is neither gossip or meanness. It's part of the court record. It is a tip of the iceberg regarding what took place under questioning by JM last Thursday where the witness refused to answer questions and took the 5th. Another witness, again, takes the 5th.

When you have done crimes your life is an open book. There is no such thing as privacy because it is all online. It's a court of law where fabricating a story is not an option but the truth is a requirement by law. Lying under oath is a crime.

thanks Lamb... :takeabow: ...I know I had to stay:silenced::silenced: lest I get a vaca.

I don't know whether someone was joking but it was posted that Sheriff Joe was letting her say goodbye to all her inmate friends because it is expected this will be her last night there. Don't know how true it is.

I have to make an observation.The person who is willing to be cross examined by Juan Martinez can be only one of two things;

A solid, stand up person who tells the truth or
A fool with a streak of crazy

That man is a force for justice and is to be reckoned with.:blushing:

Yes and we should all consider ourselves lucky to have a man like him in our justice system. We need more!

I do honestly though think it's kinda weird that people who want to speak on behalf of the defendant have to be crossed. Even though I don't care about this woman at all, and she should have no rights. But I just find it odd. They are making a statement, they should not be on trial of past mistakes.

I tend to agree, but since JSS said they could have done statements out of view of the media that the real issue is deeper, perhaps they were moved to the point of empathy for the real victim. If so good for them.

Generally, I agree. I have only seen this process once before, and they weren't cross-examined. But that was a "normal" DP trial.

In this case, however, I would not trust the defense to conduct this process in a "reasonable" manner. Unless there were time limits or other controls in place, heaven knows what the defense would pull with this part of the trial.

I don't think Nurmi is stupid. I wonder what's up his sleeve on his that hidden agenda. I feel all of this is orchestrated, although I can't figure out what his strategy is. But I think he has a strategy. Be it sophisticated, complicated, or whatever, things are not what they appear, IMO. I dont believe all these tactics are coincidences.

Hi, I might have missed this earlier, but is this what's happening?

No more court today after this brief argument. Arias will make a statement tomorrow at 12:30 pm ET/9:30 am in Phoenix. Then closings and jury will deliberate. - Beth Karas

TIA :)

And since the instruction is that the jury should consider the mitigating factors to see if they justify saving her life... and the defense isn't going to be doing anything... does that mean she gets death?

Darryl would not have known about the letter. He should have been there this morning unless defense told him not to come.

I understand Darryl was under subpoena for last Thursday so had to show up, but perhaps the subpoena did not cover today and he chose to do what was best for himself and his son.:twocents:

I truly think the DT wants the jury to believe that poor Jodi has no support system. By not calling anyone they will reinforce that, but I don't think the jury will believe it. Her mom has been there daily, that is a show of support IMO. I think it is all a game for the DT and trying anything they can for a mistrial or an appellate issue.

If witnesses were not subject to cross, then DTs could pay people to say nice things about their clients. Or people could be blackmailed into testifying. There has to be some checks and balances.

I'll have to read the legal questions and answers thread to be sure I understand allocution. When she doesn't look totally blank, JA looks like she thinks she's winning.
I haven't watched enough trials to know any better, but this seems so weird to me.

She looks defiant. She knows she's not winning. She just really gets a honk out of halting the whole process. Another day to be on TV!!!!
She'll have a meltdown when the curtain comes down on her show.

Can't the statement JSS made about defense having the option to bring ANYONE they wanted for this mitigating phase in open court or in closed precedings make it so that this cannot be an appellate issue?

Good questions. I wish one of the Websleuth attorneys could shed some light on this debacle today.

I checked the legal thread a little bit ago...but haven't seen any commenting on today.

I guess...ugh...it's HLN for me to find out some answers as to what the he!! the defense was trying to pull today...coz I do not trust Nurmi...thou doth protested just a little too much today, if ya aske me. And I know, I know, no one is asking me!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
unnamedTV